• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT4| We're (still) Here! We're (still) Queer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a cultural thing. It sounds silly but it's true. Chinese players tend to be very disciplined and methodical. If given the choice between safe, steady, incremental advantages, and going for high-risk, high-reward plays, they will usually choose the former. This is just a fact of Chinese DOTA. Whether it arises from Chinese culture, or from somewhere else, is anyone's guess.

They dominated DotA for years because of their disciplined play, until Icefrog hit that magical point in balance where aggressive play had as much to offer as defensive play, and gave defensive play more weaknesses. Come TI1, China was unable to handle the hyper-aggression that characterized EU DOTA, and crumbled, losing the DOTA crown to Europe. When iG won TI2, it was because they were one of the first Chinese teams to adapt to the new, more balanced (when it comes to aggressiveness and defensiveness) meta.

Now pretty much any Chinese team worth its salt can do aggression, like IG, Newbee, Titan and DK. However, China DOTA is still very in touch with its roots, because the exact qualities that make Chinese teams strong naturally lend themselves to defensive play. If a Chinese team decides they want to force a 90 minute game, the other side is more than ready to oblige.

An oversimplification of DOTA culture by region:

EU: Aggressive, flashy, high-risk
China: Efficient, methodical, disciplined
SEA: Aggressive, unorthodox
NA: Shit players in general

Damn. Why are NA players worse? MOBAS not as big here so not as many people with natural talent playing?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Damn. Why are NA players worse? MOBAS not as big here so not as many people with natural talent playing?
MOBAs are pretty big here, NA just doesn't produce very good players.

If I had to guess, it would be because we have too many distractions. When most of our gaming population are CoD/Halo/Madden players, and they play a new CoD/Halo/Madden every year, well, it's not going to produce any kind of talent. The environment is just too saturated with casuals. We do alright in the realm of shootbangs, I believe, although EU is still better at Quake/UT.

Look at the countries that are great at D I G I T A L S P O R TS:

China
Korea
Sweden
Ukraine

These are countries where gaming is not the kind of massive entertainment industry it is here, and they tend to play more PC games than console ones. China and Korea in particularly are notorious for their PC cafes, of which games like DOTA2/Starcraft/League are mainstays. There's also the added bonus that those countries are less skeptical of the idea of "pro gamers", whereas here, there's a pretty huge social stigma against gaming, much less pro-gaming, as you'll recall if you watched Free To Play. Fear's mom struggled with this seemingly crazy idea of playing games for money, and her viewpoint is very pervasive in NA culture, even among gamers.

TL;DR: Combination of social stigma, casual console peasants, and too many other things to spend time on than DOTA2.

EDIT: Wait this is the LGBT thread...

MOBAs are pretty big here, NA just doesn't produce very good players.

If I had to guess, it would be because we have too many distractions. When most of our gaming population are CoD/Halo/Madden players, and they play a new CoD/Halo/Madden every year, well, it's not going to produce any kind of talent. The environment is just too saturated with casuals. We do alright in the realm of shootbangs, I believe, although EU is still better at Quake/UT.

Look at the countries that are great at D I G I T A L S P O R TS:

China
Korea
Sweden
Ukraine

These are countries where gaming is not the kind of massive entertainment industry it is here, and they tend to play more PC games than console ones. China and Korea in particularly are notorious for their PC cafes, of which games like DOTA2/Starcraft/League are mainstays. There's also the added bonus that those countries are less skeptical of the idea of "pro gamers", whereas here, there's a pretty huge social stigma against gaming, much less pro-gaming, as you'll recall if you watched Free To Play. Fear's mom struggled with this seemingly crazy idea of playing games for money, and her viewpoint is very pervasive in NA culture, even among gamers.

TL;DR: Combination of social stigma, casual console peasants, and too many other things to spend time on than DOTA2.

EDIT: Wait this is the LGBT thread...

Good to know kind of. I'm in the NA so basically I can't be expected to be good at DOTA and there's no pressure :)

daripad

After coming out to some friends I think is time to be realistic and look for gay people. If they don't want to date me at least I can be friends with them and know more gay people in the proccess. Really want to do something for my life..

I'm starting with a friend of my sister who has many shared ideas with me and reads ASOIAF, though physically he is a bit out of my league because I'm fat and he is skinny and has a cute face. I hope it goes well, but I need to be friends with him first and until I feel comfortable enough I'll come out to him and say what my intentions are.

alvmew

I'm sure it'll work out guys.

Just five months ago I was in the same boat. Never been on a date, in a relationship, never been kissed or had sex or anything. It just happens at different times for different people, but you'll all get there someday and it'll be worth it. Just gotta relax and believe in yourselves, I know that's how I pushed myself to come out and get out there, and I've never been happier.

I live in the middle of nowhere in a super Christian area and due to various circumstances I likely won't be able to move out in the near future. I feel trapped.

Even though i can't really relate to your small town blues due to living in the suburbs of Atlanta and go to school in the city which I've heard is gay friendly, it's still very very difficult for me to meet new people with my social condition so I understand.

Where do y'all live anyways?

Never been with anyone either. But, it's not something I really worry about at all these days, because it's not really worth getting all stressed out and freaked out about. It'll happen when it's meant to happen, and I have no doubt that things will work out sooner or later (and this of course goes not only for myself, but everyone in here). Until then though, I just do my best to relax and enjoy my life and go wherever it ends up taking me. After all, my philosophy is that we live in the present, not the future. The future's not guaranteed regardless, but the present is, so we might as well just focus on enjoying the current moment as much as we possibly can, as that is something we can control (at least to some degree) and as for the future, just let the dice fall where they may and go along with whatever the result is.

But yeah, I have no doubt that everyone in here will find someone day--you're all too beautiful and awesome not too. ^_^
Even though i can't really relate to your small town blues due to living in the suburbs of Atlanta and go to school in the city which I've heard is gay friendly, it's still very very difficult for me to meet new people with my social condition so I understand.

Warren, Michigan (suburb of Detroit). At the Central Michigan University campus in Mount Pleasant during the school year, though.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's when you look at a dick, or a picture of a dick, and go, "yeah, that looks pretty good".

alvmew

Vegas.

"so how do you guys decide who the man is?"

Arm wrestling and a burping contest or something.

Kinsei

Banned

Nova Scotia

I've also never been with someone before.

Don't give up, you'll find someone sooner or later.

I feel the same.

I'm there too :(

I'll change it, I know I can do it

I've never had so much as a first kiss, let alone a significant other.
I know your feels. :(

Sometimes I have panic attacks thinking that I'll never be with someone romantically. I'm having one of those right now. :(

Every day I grow more and more convinced that there should be a dating app/website for virgin gaygaf. We can enter a mutually beneficial business exchange and practice sex/kissing on each other. No judgement since we'd all be equally inexperienced.

how do y'all even know you're gay if you've never been with a guy before

Because I get butterflies in my tummy when thinking about men, not women.

I'm in Atlanta right now! At Emory University over the summer.

alvmew

Every day I grow more and more convinced that there should be a dating app/website for virgin gaygaf. We can enter a mutually beneficial business exchange and practice sex/kissing on each other. No judgement since we'd all be equally inexperienced.

Can we invite slightly experienced GayGAF into this? It'd be nice to get to play video games and whatnot with a partner before and/or after sexy times. Lol

Can we invite slightly experienced GayGAF into this? It'd be nice to get to play video games and whatnot with a partner before and/or after sexy times. Lol
Das gay, bros. We are just gonna bro out, nothing gay about playin tonsil hockey with another man, it's just bro stuff.

Rayis

I live in a big ass city and I still haven't gotten laid so living in a city doesn't really improve your chances unless you get out there, but if you do get out there you're bound to find someone, I just need to find the time and courage to do it.

Also, regarding the sport talk y'all were having earlier, if I had to choose a sport to watch, it'd totally be MMA for fairly obvious reasons to anyone who's familiar with the sport =D

DNAbro

Feel like I should introduce myself; been on GAF for a while but haven't posted here yet. I'm seen often on random gaming threads and on PersonaGAF thread. Favorite game series include zelda and the persona series.

Currently a single gay male in college.

Well, nice to meet y'all.

Kater

Banned
Feel like I should introduce myself; been on GAF for a while but haven't posted here yet. I'm seen often on random gaming threads and on PersonaGAF thread. Favorite game series include zelda and the persona series.

Welcome to the LGBT OT, DNAbro!

I'm gay too and one of my favourite game series is also Legend of Zelda. Never played a Persona game though, but I'll play Persona Q when it release over here in Europe.

BTW, I think I saw a tweet on Twitter from you. It got retweeted by Jim Sterling, that's why I saw it. Something about Pokemon. Maybe I'm mistaking.

daripad

Welcome DNAbro, I'm gay too and I love Mario Kart, Smash Bros and Pokemon. Be careful because some people here are thirsty
me included

Hi DNAbro, welcome!
I don't really have a favorite game series tbh i like a lot of stuff
hope you like it here :D

DNAbro

Welcome DNAbro, I'm gay too and I love Mario Kart, Smash Bros and Pokemon. Be careful because some people here are thirsty
me included

got you guys covered.

water-bottle-bust.jpg

Welcome to the LGBT OT, DNAbro!

I'm gay too and one of my favourite game series is also Legend of Zelda. Never played a Persona game though, but I'll play Persona Q when it release over here in Europe.

BTW, I think I saw a tweet on Twitter from you. It got retweeted by Jim Sterling, that's why I saw it. Something about Pokemon. Maybe I'm mistaking.

Haha yeah that was me. I was helping promote a pokemon marathon for St. Jude's Children's Hospital happening here http://tsg.tv/

Hey there, DNAbro! ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom