• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT4| We're (still) Here! We're (still) Queer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the warm welcome, all.

Well, I had two Tom Collins and said something to her best friend Saturday night, so I guess I could have her start asking questions. Definitely leaning stoneless now. Thick band, but not too thick since she has the fingers of Nosferatu.

scarlet

Ok if you don't want him we can have him for you
j/k

This thread is for every lgbt person, so lesbians are more than welcome here!

We had some heated argument yesterday.
He said 'tell me what to do now', in my head I wanna say 'let me go'. But somehow I was speechless. So i said sorry for pushing him from my life *sigh*

@pokeystaples: stoneless >> stone. Unless you wanna go big, really big.

Ty4on

Canadians are weird.
No
Canada has some cute guys.
Yes
I have a question regarding engagement rings for masculine of center women. I want to propose to my girfriend. We've been dating 3 years and I am planning on proposing some time early 2015. I'd like to take a year to save up and buy a killer ring. What the hell type of ring does one buy to propose to a stud? More specifically..stone or no stone?

edit: if this is in the wrong place, let me know. i know that posters here lean male, but i did not see a lesbogaf thread.
As others have said certainly not! I think I've only seen three women post in this thread so it's a big plus to see more.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Don't forget guys!! Looking premieres tonight at 10:30/9:30c on HBO!! Here's the official thread!

Here's the poster!

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKING!!!
Your excitement for the show is infectious, and so I'll be sure to watch it. At the very least, I want my preexisting, completely irrational dislike of the show to be an informed, preexisting, completely irrational dislike.

I forgot that Looking starts tonight on HBO!! I'm tres psyched.

It will be our BOYS to Lena Dunham's GIRLS.
I haven't seen you post in the thread in a while. Welcome back.

daripad

He said 'tell me what to do now', in my head I wanna say 'let me go'. But somehow I was speechless. So i said sorry for pushing him from my life *sigh*

Oh, I'm sorry for that. So you have no feelings for him, right? That's a shame but you should not let him be hurt more, try to get out of the relationship asap before it gets worse. And don't cheat on him please, be patient.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual

@pokeystaples: stoneless >> stone. Unless you wanna go big, really big.
Come on, man. You gotta man up and let this guy go. He would be dying inside hearing this stuff. Rip off the bandaid.

scarlet

Oh, I'm sorry for that. So you have no feelings for him, right? That's a shame but you should not let him be hurt more, try to get out of the relationship asap before it gets worse. And don't cheat on him please, be patient.

Tbh
I have no idea if still have feelings for him or not I hope he left me somehow. But he's so positive and believe everything's gonna work, and we'll be together. I won't cheat, the least thing I wanna do is to hurt him. He's very nice, patience, caring, funny he tries to make me laugh at least once a day, so adorable and we could finish each other's sentences, he's perfect for me. But it just didn't work.

Come on, man. You gotta man up and let this guy go. He would be dying inside hearing this stuff. Rip off the bandaid.

Agreed. You're not doing the guy a favor.

I know guys, I know what i should do. But it's hard.

I have to spoiler it, don't wanna force people to read it :D

daripad

Tbh
I have no idea if still have feelings for him or not I hope he left me somehow. But he's so positive and believe everything's gonna work, and we'll be together. I won't cheat, the least thing I wanna do is to hurt him. He's very nice, patience, caring, funny he tries to make me laugh at least once a day, so adorable and we could finish each other's sentences, he's perfect for me. But it just didn't work.

No need to do it.

It won't work, I'm sorry but is better to let go, it will be better for you two.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I guess we'll see, hope the drama and comedy aspects don't clash too much.

The comedy is supposed to be very complimentary to the drama - not loud or obvious at all.

I have a question regarding engagement rings for masculine of center women. I want to propose to my girfriend. We've been dating 3 years and I am planning on proposing some time early 2015. I'd like to take a year to save up and buy a killer ring. What the hell type of ring does one buy to propose to a stud? More specifically..stone or no stone?

edit: if this is in the wrong place, let me know. i know that posters here lean male, but i did not see a lesbogaf thread.

Yes, everyone is welcome here! :)

As for the ring, I have no idea. Does she usually wear jewelry? If so, maybe look through her stuff and see if there are any common denominators - does she prefer silver over gold; do most of her things have stones in them or are they plain - stuff like that should give you a better idea of what she might like.

Your excitement for the show is infectious, and so I'll be sure to watch it. At the very least, I want my preexisting, completely irrational dislike of the show to be an informed, preexisting, completely irrational dislike.

:) but why do you have a preexisting irrational dislike for the show?

btw I started reading Saga finally. I really like it so far. The Will is a really cool character and I'm fascinated by the idea of a Lying Cat.

Ollie Pooch

I know guys, I know what i should do. But it's hard.

It is hard, but it'll only get harder the longer it goes on - and it's probably even worse for him. He's obviously completely desperate.

Those kind of dumpings are the hardest for the dumpee I think - cos they know it's coming, they're clingy and codependent and desperate. Don't draw it out and for the love of god don't feed him any false hope or 'Who knows in the future?' Sometimes you just gotta harden up and do it.

Caladrius

Welcome, make yourself at home!
I say keep it simple unless you know of a kind of gemstone she absolutely adores.

You're not the only one. It happened to me last year, with a guy I met at work. I thought he was gay because his hair is perfect, he wears girls jeans and most of his friends are girls. I mean.. I don't like to stereotype BUT. (and yes those are silly reasons to think someone is gay, but oh well)
He gave me his number and we hung out a few times until I stopped working at the job I met him at. He knows I'm gay and he said he likes girls when I asked if he was straight or gay.

Anyways, moral of the story, it's hard to tell if someone is actually gay these days. :p

Oh god it happened almost exactly the same way (though it was at school). The only real difference is that I never asked. I think he picked up on the fact I was attracted to him pretty quickly and he shot it down preemptively. We're still friends though. (And he's one of the few people I'm currently speaking with.) I found out he liked recreational drugs much more than I was willing to tolerate, so I ended up not being too disappointed.
He's very attractive though so I often end up having these kinds of moments >__>:

stupid_sexy_flanders.jpg

Even worse than my poor gaydar, is the fact that a fair few years ago, I was in a gay club - and to get my defence in early, it was dark and I'd been drinking - and I started trying to come on to what turned out to be a lesbian girl.

She had really cute boyish looks and I was convinced it was a guy.

That was... so embarrassing

It is hard, but it'll only get harder the longer it goes on - and it's probably even worse for him. He's obviously completely desperate.

Those kind of dumpings are the hardest for the dumpee I think - cos they know it's coming, they're clingy and codependent and desperate. Don't draw it out and for the love of god don't feed him any false hope or 'Who knows in the future?' Sometimes you just gotta harden up and do it.

Listen to the all knowing sage (I nominated you as the wise one hope you don't mind)

scarlet

I never said that, he was. But yeah, I admit I gave him false hopes too.
I know it's inevitable, but he keep saying 'Don't say that', and 'Don't leave me please please please.'

I seriously need to get slapped and man up

Kater

Banned
Those moments when you think about your straight friends and undress them in your head.
I stopped smoking pot with a friend of mine (I was fifteen or sixteen back then) because I would get so horny and would think about him and his body, lips, eyes. Didn't want to risk our friendship.
It was so awkward, haha.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
:) Why do you have a preexisting irrational dislike for the show?

btw I started reading Saga finally. I really like it so far. The Will is cool and a Lying Cat is a really interesting idea for a character.
The reason I (and I have to imagine most gay men) are interested in gay media is because I want media that I can relate to and understand, and Looking doesn't appear to be that at all. I've read the positive reviews of the show (which, to be honest, all sound like modest, comparative praise), and so I'm sure that Looking does a great job depicting the misadventures of a mid-20s handsome and charming yet awkward and stuck gay man navigating San Francisco with his handsome and charming yet awkward and stuck friends as they experience a variety of scenarios that reflect on the curious and exciting landscape of gay life. That isn't what I'm interested in though. That isn't what rings true to me.

I'm glad you like Saga! The last few issues have made the series relevant to this thread, but man, Brian K. Vaughan knows how to break my heart like no other writer in comics.

Those moments when you think about your straight friends and undress them in your head.
I stopped smoking pot with a friend of mine (I was fifteen or sixteen back then) because I would get so horny and would think about him and his body, lips, eyes. Didn't want to risk our friendship.
It was so awkward, haha.

On a serious note, how do you guys deal with infatuation with close friends?

I'm starting to get close to a straight male friend of mine who is definitely straight and has a girlfriend.

Thing is I have been really infatuated with him since the day I met him. I really want to be his close friend and don't want to jeopardise that, but sometimes I worry I'm going to act crazy or expect too much from him because of my feelings.

I don't know if there's anything I can do about it really...

The reason I (and I have to imagine most gay men) are interested in gay media is because I want media that I can relate to and understand, and Looking doesn't appear to be that at all. I've read the positive reviews of the show (which, to be honest, all sound like modest, comparative praise), and so I'm sure that Looking does a great job depicting the misadventures of a mid-20s handsome and charming yet awkward and stuck gay man navigating San Francisco with his handsome and charming yet awkward and stuck friends as they experience a variety of scenarios that reflect on the curious and exciting landscape of gay life. That isn't what I'm interested in though. That isn't what rings true to me.
Right, I usually feel the same way. A lot of gay media seems to center around the pursuits of a well-off white American where the majority of his friends also all happen to be gay. The again, it's about as unrelatable to me as a lot of other Hollywood portrayals of people's "lifestyles". I don't know if Looking is any good, but it seems to just ever so slightly skew away from the bizarre gay tropes than usual. Hopefully. Maybe my life isn't the traditional one of a gay person living in a big city, either.

Ollie Pooch

I never said that, he was. But yeah, I admit I gave him false hopes too.
I know it's inevitable, but he keep saying 'Don't say that', and 'Don't leave me please please please.'

I seriously need to get slapped and man up
You've already given false hope by hanging around and second guessing your decision - he's thinking 'I'm doing the right things to keep him around!' Meanwhile you're planning your exit. Time to drop the bomb for reals.
Listen to the all knowing sage (I nominated you as the wise one hope you don't mind)
Oh nooo.... Agony Ollie.

I'm starting to get close to a straight male friend of mine who is definitely straight and has a girlfriend.

Thing is I have been really infatuated with him since the day I met him. I really want to be his close friend and don't want to jeopardise that, but sometimes I worry I'm going to act crazy or expect too much from him because of my feelings.

I had this exact siatuion and it sucks cos deep down you think you can 'win' them over - it's absurd. *memories*

You can't. Don't torture yourself haha! Just be glad he's comfortable enough to be close mates with a gay guy.

And yes, my guy was doing the flirting/suggestive comments/etc. We even made out a few times. It was just a bit of fun for him and he was loving the kick from it. Don't read into it.

mantidor

So I had a great night!

I really wanna go to Rio someday, but the ticket price is insane lol.

Everything is insanely pricey here, the ticket is only the beginning!

There's actually a french documentary about old gay people (men and women), called "Les Invisibles". It actually looked pretty interesting going by the trailers, didn't watch it though (and I'm not sure it's been translated in english either). Will probably do some day.

Interesting. The experience there was awesome, there's something really adorable about two guys in their sixties kissing and cuddling, and others dancing in the middle of the floor. I go there mostly for the music, there's a couple of guys who you could catalog "bears", but mostly, is just old people.

But the playlist is insane, Erasure, Freddie Mercury, Madonna, but nothing released in the past ten years, Abba, Blondie, etc, etc, I was ecstatic :p even if it was mostly remixes and not the original songs. Gay club music is insufferably repetitive sometimes, it's such a fresh thing to go to this place, even if I don't hook up or anything.

mantidor speaking about gay bars reminded me of a story how I was out with a friend. I was at a gay bar and got a bit drunk and was poking this bear's belly like he was the pillsbury doughboy. Thankfully he had a sense of humor and thought I was cute my friend took me away and drove me home lol.

That's cute! my drunken bar stories unfortunately aren't, this friend of mine stopped talking to me because I was "aggressive" according to him, I do not remember anything, so I have to take his word, it was pretty crappy to lose a friend because of that.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
There is. Remind yourself that there isn't a chance that this person will ever reciprocate your feelings and that your continued romantic interest in somebody who does not, and can not, have any romantic interest in you is completely wasted energy and the longer it percolates, the greater your unrequited affections will become a vessel for self-punishment.

Caladrius

I usually remind myself that nothing can really come of it and that thinking too much about it just causes a lot of unnecessary angst. It's also important to be well aware of how you're acting towards him and think carefully about what you do and how he perceives you. It requires a lot of self-policing but it's perfectly doable.

And think of it this way: Would it really be worth it for you risk your friendship if it could become romantic?

Confession time: I do have sex fantasies about them sometimes.

Kater

Banned

A good friendship is probably worth more than a rhetoric relationship.
If it is really hard for you to be around him then try to not see him for a while. Maybe that can cool your head down.

Welcome back mantidor!
I just watched the last part of the VICE documentary that you linked here a few days.
Terrible sitiation all around. So much hate and fear on both sides and Putin is having a laugh because he found another great scapegoat.

Alrus

Why can't everyone just be gay... ):

Having an unreciprocated crush on a gay/bi dude is pretty damn painful too. Even worse if it's a friend, and even worse if the person is a fucking tease through it (imo the most assholish thing you can do). I speak from experience, that kind of thing made me a complete mess for a couple of months before I met my boyfriend and finally got over it. (and even when I starting dating my bf, I still felt a pinch in my heart for a time everytime I would meet that other guy).

Casanova

Dealing with a similar situation right now. Does this friend ever come on to you, even somewhat jokingly? Does he flirt a lot? Does he touch you a lot?

My friend does all of those things but still claims heterosexuality - that is what drives me nuts about him. If your case is similar, I do wish you the best of luck, because it has been the most difficult situation for me in my entire life - he made me realize my bisexuality, and maybe even love.. *cringes*.. It is actually killing me inside knowing that if he is, in fact, completely straight, there is nothing I can ever say or do to make him feel the same way about me.

I'd like to keep my response simple and positive, but I just can't. It will be very tough for you, if you have very deep feelings for him.

I think I might risk it because I have nothing else to lose at this point, but as far as other people, I have to give a more enlightening response, so here it goes:

Unless you know for sure that he has feelings for you, I wouldn't risk your friendship.

There is. Remind yourself that there isn't a chance that this person will ever reciprocate your feelings and that your continued romantic interest in somebody who does not, and can not, have any romantic interest in you is completely wasted energy and the longer it percolates, the greater your unrequited affections will become a vessel for self-punishment.

And think of it this way: Would it really be worth it for you risk your friendship if it could become romantic?

Dealing with a similar situation right now. Does this friend ever come on to you, even somewhat jokingly? Does he flirt a lot? Does he touch you a lot?

I'd like to keep my response simple and positive, but I just can't. It will be very tough for you, if you have very deep feelings for him.

Unless you know for sure that he has feelings for you, I wouldn't risk your friendship.

Thanks for the advice guys although I think there is some misunderstanding surrounding my question.

This guy is becoming my close friend, he isn't acting in a confusing way towards me. I'm 100% sure of his heterosexuality.

I also have NO intention of trying to make anything happen.

I guess what I'm saying is, I want to continue to be his friend but I can't just switch off my feelings for him. So I've been thinking I just really need to be super conscious of not expecting him to think about me as often as I think about him, or to see me as often I might like.

Things like that I guess.

Like, do you think it'd be a bad idea to be upfront and tell him that I've messed up friendships with guys in the past because I've accidentally fallen for them, and don't want it to happen with him?

Ollie Pooch

Like, do you think it'd be a bad idea to be upfront and tell him that I've messed up friendships with guys in the past because I've accidentally fallen for them, and don't want it to happen with him?
Personally, saying that would suggest to him you're already kinda into him... :p

I'd just keep your distance, whatever you feel comfortable with.

It's hard for us gay guys... get close to another guy, natural next step is to want more. But when you can't, it's just self torture to continue it.

Yado

Thanks for the advice guys although I think there is some misunderstanding surrounding my question.

This guy is becoming my close friend, he isn't acting in a confusing way towards me. I'm 100% sure of his heterosexuality.

I also have NO intention of trying to make anything happen.

I guess what I'm saying is, I want to continue to be his friend but I can't just switch off my feelings for him. So I've been thinking I just really need to be super conscious of not expecting him to think about me as often as I think about him, or to see me as often I might like.

Things like that I guess.

Don't bring it up to him. Be his friend and pursue other guys who can return your affections.

Lucario

First of all, congrats!

As a person who sees himself as masculine, while I'd love and cherish my engagement ring, I'd be less comfortable wearing a stone than a wedding band. It's probably better to go with a simple/understated ring if you aren't sure what she'd prefer.

daripad

what does the catholic confirmation thing do besides letting you get married?

It wastes your time!

It is supposed to be a "I'm staying in this religion" thing, as in you now firmly believe in what your parents got you into (baptism). It's stupid but that's what it is, an action of faith.

I'm feeling better now. My crush texted me telling me he felt embarrased about last night. I told him I've been feeling like crap all day, so he told me to talk to him. I told him that I feel stupid along with some other stuff I've kept to myself for a while now. He pretty much just apologized. I'm not sure if this is the end (I thought it was back in December when we stopped talking). Right now I just wish he was with here with me for one last time.

I literally texted him "I wish you were here". After a while he answered "here where?" I said "Here, with me", to which he replied with a kissing smiley.

I know it's all bullshit but he makes me feel loved because he's really affectionate with me. And I just want to feel loved right now.

Alrus

Would you want to be married in a catholic church?

My boyfriend would, he's a rather devout catholic (goes to church every sunday and on important days of the calendar, went to the World Youth Day and other stuff like that). I'm not even baptised though so it will never happen. He would also need to come out to his family which I'm not sure will ever happen either.

Ahasverus

My boyfriend would, he's a rather devout catholic (goes to church every sunday and on important days of the calendar, went to the World Youth Day and other stuff like that). I'm not even baptised though so it will never happen. He would also need to come out to his family which I'm not sure will ever happen either.

It will never happen because catholic church hates gay marriage lol

I'm feeling better now. My crush texted me telling me he felt embarrased about last night. I told him I've been feeling like crap all day, so he told me to talk to him. I told him that I feel stupid along with some other stuff I've kept to myself for a while now. He pretty much just apologized. I'm not sure if this is the end (I thought it was back in December when we stopped talking). Right now I just wish he was with here with me for one last time.

I literally texted him "I wish you were here". After a while he answered "here where?" I said "Here, with me", to which he replied with a kissing smiley.

I know it's all bullshit but he makes me feel loved because he's really affectionate with me. And I just want to feel loved right now.
That's touching, hope it all goes well for you.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

I'm glad you like Saga! The last few issues have made the series relevant to this thread, but man, Brian K. Vaughan knows how to break my heart like no other writer in comics.

I can see where you're coming from, but I can honestly say that I've never really identified with any of the gay media that I've ever consumed (specifically TV and film), so if that were an important factor for me I'd end up never consuming any gay media at all.

When it comes to what you're looking for in gay media, the misadventures of handsome 20 somethings might not be what you're after, but do you necessarily have to view Looking as being a part of "gay media" in the first place, with all of the requirements that come attached with that label? I believe that the series was constructed so that it could be enjoyed and understood by anyone - gay or straight; ugly or handsome - because the main themes speak to the general human condition. I don't think it's trying to be anything more specific than that.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
You win this round Ratsky!

If nothing else, Looking was certainly better than tonight's episode of Girls.

I can see where you're coming from, but I can honestly say that I've never really identified with any of the gay media that I've ever consumed (specifically TV and film), so if that were an important factor for me I'd end up never consuming any gay media at all.
The again, it's about as unrelatable to me as a lot of other Hollywood portrayals of people's "lifestyles". I don't know if Looking is any good, but it seems to just ever so slightly skew away from the bizarre gay tropes than usual. Hopefully. Maybe my life isn't the traditional one of a gay person living in a big city, either.
That makes three of us. Where's our gay television show HBO?

To your point about Looking's themes being universal Ratsky, I can't respond to that until I've seen more of the show. I liked what I saw though, even if my original comment about the characters and their lives feeling foreign still holds true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom