• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT4| We're (still) Here! We're (still) Queer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Man

The bracelets I get, but the masks seem like too much of a nuisance to justify the payoff.

The masks started out as a way to keep dust out where I live, back in the 90's most of the raves I went to were outdoor parties in fields and scrub and the like. I never got into the vicks thing, but people quite quickly learned to put some on their mask.

1 million gay men in Toronto for World Pride and I can't get laid.

Must teleport to Toronto at once! :)

RM8

Guise help. I need to improve my English listening in the following months, it's pretty important. What am I supposed to do? I struggle with specific accents... it's weird. English is weird and you should feel bad.

Example: I watched Tom Cruise's movie (it's pretty cool BTW) and I understand basically everyone except for this guy :(

At least you don't live in the middle of nowhere
At least then you have a good excuse to fall back on. :p
Guise help. I need to improve my English listening in the following months, it's pretty important. What am I supposed to do? I struggle with specific accents... it's weird. English is weird and you should feel bad.
Like with everything, practice. Practice, practice, and more practice, especially with the specific accents you say you struggle with. What is this for, if you don't mind my asking? I'm wondering if podcasts would be a good idea. Sometimes it's hard to hear what some people are saying in movies without subtitles when the audio isn't mixed well.

daripad

Example: I watched Tom Cruise's movie (it's pretty cool BTW) and I understand basically everyone except for this guy :(

Watch videogame discussions on youtube and don't use subtitles, it will help you if it's about a topic that you know a lot about.

Kater

Banned

Turn the volume louder or watch movies that have irish actors in their cast with subtitles.

Achtius

Play games with gaffers that use voice chat.

Given that the issue seems to be accents, I would try and watch material with some extremely heavy accents in place of material with the typically accessible accent many people portray in the media for clarity, material where the script is dictated in an understated, more conversational manner, and where the dialogue itself is quite unusual. The first two things that spring to mind are "Trainspotting" and "The Wire". I imagine the former would be far more difficult for you than the latter given your issue with Brendan Gleeson. I'm going to assume that the variety of Irish accents are a challenge for you, so I would also suggest "The Wind that Shakes the Barley" (I enjoy this) and "The Field" (an adaption of John B Keane's play which I know Roger Ebert hates, but I find quite enjoyable). I didn't care for the movie at all, but "Adam and Paul" will certainly be a very significant challenge for you. "Once" is a fantastic movie, but the dialogue is pretty clear so I'm not sure if it'd be very suitable. Things like "Father Ted", "Monty Python", "Fawlty Towers" and "Blackadder" may also be suitable. Continuing the theme of television, "Love/Hate" (which also happens to feature Aidan Gillen from "The Wire" and "Game of Thrones") is an Irish television show that was received well here (in Ireland) and while I personally don't care for it, I thought the show "Quirke" was absolutely dreadful, but I think the dialogue could be very challenging for somebody not native to or unfamilliar with the country. I know many do, and that the accents are quite thick with many colloquialisms. Checking what is on RTÉ (http://www.rte.ie/tv/) and watching a few programmes at random may help as they introduce you to a greater range of accents, and if you've an interest in sport any "Hurling" commentary is going to be an extremely difficult and inaccessible test to try your hand at. Listening to some talk show radio emissions (I'm not sure if that's the correct term as I don't listen to the radio much) such as "Liveline" may present a broad range of accents, and more local radio stations (such as "Waterford Today") if you can find them online would also present a greater range; Donegal accents, accents from Connaught, and accents from Cork are what I had the greatest with when doing Irish listening tapes, so I assume there would be a similar degree of difficulty in interpretting individuals from those areas speaking in English for a non-native (?) speaker.

The various versions of Shakespeare's plays (Roman Polanski's Macbeth is particularly good) might be very challenging for you with the Elizabethan English but there is a risk that it may complicate things further so I'm hesitant about suggesting them. Playing games online with voice chat as has been mentioned above is also a very good suggestion as you can expect colloquialisms, slang, and a huge array of accents from around the world, but is going to be more challenging than other areas as you cannot replay what was stated to clear things up (but this may be somewhat useful depending on how you're being tested). Foreign movies where English is spoken is also something to consider.

I know I've focused primarily on Irish accents here (with "The Wire" and "Trainspotting" an exception) which is probably too specific for you (admittedly I don't know how difficult Irish accents are in comparison to other types of accents), but hopefully some of the techniques (scouring local radio stations, movies, locally made TV shows, etc.) to gain additional experience with the accents can be translated to other types that you find difficult and must brush up upon.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
just finished bleaching my hair to dye it purple, so excited & nervous

Wow, bold move.

(But wait aren't you going to start a job search soon? Or is this just for the summer.)

Kater

Banned
just finished bleaching my hair to dye it purple, so excited & nervous

I love purple. Not on my hair usually though, just purple clothing. Post a picture afterwards (if you want to), I am curious to see the result. :)

Edit: Congrats on the kiss, Ahasversus! :D

Grakl

I was gonna dye my hair purple, but then lucario wanted to dye his purple and it would be weird if both of ours was purple I think

what do I do with my hair now, gaygaf?

Haly

I was gonna dye my hair purple, but then lucario wanted to dye his purple and it would be weird if both of ours was purple I think

what do I do with my hair now, gaygaf?

Yellow or green, depending on the shade Lucario chooses.

Complimentary colors bruh.

It would be really neat if Lucario only dyed the tips of his hair a moderately subdued shade of purple, so it'd be purple fading into white, while you (assuming you have dark hair), do the same but with a dark green color, so it's green fading into black.

(Shit I'm playing MMO dress-up with my gay e-buds)

Grakl

^ lucario is cuter than u

Dye it purple anyway.

Dye it purple anyways.

Yellow or green, depending on the shade Lucario chooses.

Complimentary colors bruh.

It would be really neat if Lucario only dyed the tips of his hair a moderately subdued shade of purple, so it'd be purple fading into white, while you (assuming you have dark hair), do the same but with a dark green color, so it's green fading into black.

(Shit I'm playing MMO dress-up with my gay e-buds)

Bleach it.

alright, maybe I'll dye it purple anyway! I need to bleach it beforehand, so I'll see if I keep it one way or another. sorry haly, that stuff is 2hard4me

Grakl

that mushroom was actually here before we moved in, we just left it up

the cool stuff are our charmander and komodo dragon stuffed animals off to the far right

RM8

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys :3 It's just all the wildly different sounds of vowels and mushy consonants what clashes with my Spanish-wired brain, lol. What's the URL for that GAF chat thing?

@Necromanti: It's for a potential job. A job interview has to be rather formal, right? I'm not expecting to be interviewed by a speed-talker with an unusual accent. I hope :p

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys :3 It's just all the wildly different sounds of vowels and mushy consonants what clashes with my Spanish-wired brain, lol. What's the URL for that GAF chat thing?

@Necromanti: It's for a potential job. A job interview has to be rather formal, right? I'm not expecting to be interviewed by a speed-talker with an unusual accent. I hope :p

You mean tinychat?

Kater

Banned
Btw, are any of you guys playing MK8?
Add me. NNID: RingabelD

I'm a starter though, since I haven't played Mario Kart in years.

Haly

I know at least 2 gay couples that met through GAF and moved in together, it's very cute.

Kater

Banned
I know at least 2 gay couples that met through GAF and moved in together, it's very cute.

Dany_M and Mr_F was the other couple, if I'm not misrembering things here.
Right?
Oh wait, you are talking about that guy who made a thread about how he met his boyfriend through PonyGAF.

Haly

Dany_M and Mr_F was the other couple, if I'm not misrembering things here.
Right?
Oh wait, you are talking about that guy who made a thread about how he met his boyfriend through PonyGAF.

Yeah, Acerac and Firehead. Don't know who Dany_M and Mr_F are.
We could be the third one ;)
:p

I'm flattered~

::blushu::

Kinsei

Banned
Btw, are any of you guys playing MK8?
Add me. NNID: RingabelD

I'm a starter though, since I haven't played Mario Kart in years.

We actually have our own GayGaf MK8 community, complete with our own private Miiverse page. Quote this post to see the code.

Haly

I was afraid it was going to be some sort of garish neon purple but this looks great.

Now to find a purple haired vidya gaem character to cosplay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom