• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT4| We're (still) Here! We're (still) Queer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I think there is a "paradigmatic" difference between you and this thread as well.

Generally speaking, when people ask for life advice here, they provide as many details as they can, usually elaborating as posters request, regardless of how well they think they can articulate the entire situation. In fact, gays tend to have a lot more drama in their life than others so many of these advice posts are fraught with despair and emotional turmoil, to which we provide commiseration, understanding and then advice.

You, on the other hand, came in here with a problem without providing us with any of the crucial, from our point of view, details, asking us to take you on your word and take shots completely in the dark, to which most of us would balk, because, well, it's just not done, whether in this thread or on GAF. This is not how life advice conversations go.

(Personally, I think you should cut him off because he sounds like a cock.)

I think the fact that you're not even attempting to forward these arguments because "not everyone on this forum is particularly literate in the lexicon of logic and philosophical thought" is pretty poor.

But to answer your initial point, I would definitely cut ties with someone if they held such low views about same-sex marriage.

No, no, you have misunderstood. The quoted comment pertained specifically to confusion regarding the term "reasonable." Terms in philosophical thought have particular meanings, and I think the trouble with the previous thread was that others were importing their own laymen understanding of the term. I did not decline to elaborate on any argument against same-sex marriage because no one here would understand it - on the contrary, I have declined to do so because they rely on a fundamentally different philosophical paradigm than my own. I have explained that numerous times. To Rm88~'s point above, if I have failed to get that across, I do not know what more I can do.

Vitanimus

No, no, you have misunderstood. The quoted comment pertained specifically to confusion regarding the term "reasonable." Terms in philosophical thought have particular meanings, and I think the trouble with the previous thread was that others were importing their own laymen understanding of the term. I did not decline to elaborate on any argument against same-sex marriage because no one here would understand it - on the contrary, I have declined to do so because they rely on a fundamentally different philosophical paradigm than my own. I have explained that numerous times. To Rm88~'s point above, if I have failed to get that across, I do not know what more I can do.

Well, okay. I'll just leave it. I hope things work out with your friend.

All you have to do is repeat his arguments as they were presented to you. You don't have to try to use them to convince us.

I am not about to transcribe the night's conversation. Besides, read the comment you quoted:

balladofthewindfish said:
...and the specific arguments themselves are incidental to my dilemma. I only wanted to know if anyone here would continue being close friends with anyone who opposed same-sex marriage. For crying out loud!

So yeah, I will let this thread continue its course. PM me if you would still like to harass me about things I did not even suggest. :p

I wouldn't feel comfortable being friends with someone so comfortable arguing how a just society should respond to me, as an extension of their favored ideology, while showing a relative inability to extend basic compassion or consider at face value my opinions of how I would like to be treated.

Dead Man

My point was that there are venerable philosophical traditions, themselves defensible, which have such arguments.

Oh dear. Somebody is discussing a very misguided appeal to authority without even listing the authority. Or explaining their own position because the little people wouldn't understand, and the person in question is not able to communicate an argument they do not agree with.

I'm going to go look at hot people, like these two fine gentlemen:

Cant believe I am I'm a relationship with this Hottie <3
So lucky
W8X95By.jpg

dSKfa4e.jpg

Coming out of lurker status! Never bought a graphic tee online before but a Cvs2 forced my hand. The dilapidated and ugly bathroom wallpaper adds character, so they say.

Kater

Banned
What's the nicest way of asking someone is he likes men?

Well, ask them if they are gay, obviously! :p
Nah, just talk about LGBT related stuff with that person, maybe he will come out eventually if he is bi or gay.

Haly got banned? Huh, why?

Achtius

Of legend.

Basically some junior from lol thread (never seen him before) was trolling in the Dota thread. Then Haly came to the league thread.

daripad

Glad to see that you're doing so well on your own, daripad. :)

What was his answer?

I already knew the answer, I just wanted him to confirm it and talk about gay stuff. It was the guy I tried to date, he is definitly someone I can trust. He told me about grindr here and he said that there were interesting people there that did not look for hook ups, I couldn't believe him for a second. He then either went to sleep or friendzoned me :v. Pls respond lol. I never even mention dating, just wanted to talk about from one gay guy to another. I actually learned a lot from him.

There's no stopping you! Just please don't mention you play as Pink Gold Peach. It's pretty shameful.

Actually I stopped using heavy weights. Made some decent combos with Yoshi and Luigi and karts and the game became much more fun. Being always in first is not as fun as competing for not being in 12 and when you win it feels like you trolled sooo hard. It's very rewarding.

Monocle

Someone just took their first Logic course and is really, really proud of themselves.
I get the exact same impression. In my experience, logic and philosophy newbies love to flaunt their knowledge and will jump at any opportunity to have an "intellectual" debate about a potentially controversial subject.

You can smell the self-satisfied pretension a mile away.

I already knew the answer, I just wanted him to confirm it and talk about gay stuff. It was the guy I tried to date, he is definitly someone I can trust. He told me about grindr here and he said that there were interesting people there that did not look for hook ups, I couldn't believe him for a second. He then either went to sleep or friendzoned me :v. Pls respond lol. I never even mention dating, just wanted to talk about from one gay guy to another. I actually learned a lot from him.

Actually I stopped using heavy weights. Made some decent combos with Yoshi and Luigi and karts and the game became much more fun. Being always in first is not as fun as competing for not being in 12 and when you win it feels like you trolled sooo hard. It's very rewarding.
Glad to see you're getting more comfortable with coming out Daripad, and It's great that you meet other Gay dudes. I wish I knew more Gays :l

daripad

Glad to see you're getting more comfortable with coming out Daripad, and It's great that you meet other Gay dudes. I wish I knew more Gays :l

I really hope I can be friends with him so I meet more gay guys, he seems to know a lot of people. And take your time. I just casually knew him because he was my sister's boyfriend at some point but we never interacted that much until recently.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Cant believe I am I'm a relationship with this Hottie <3
So lucky

who is that? is he hairy all over?

Just some random dude who was only wearing a cock ring. He looked like an average guy.

average body, average face, average penis. average of average.

sounds good to me!

I notice every year at pride that the ones wearing the least clothing are often the ones that should've thought twice about doing it. ;)

Anyone who is brave enough to go nearly/nude in public deserves to flaunt dat shit as much as they want imo.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I deeply respect anyone who flaunts a little body on pride&#8212; specifically the relatable, normal looking people who don't fit textbook, underwear-model templates. Now some may have unhealthy motivations, but as Ratsky stated, more often than not it takes a lot of courage to challenge body image insecurities.

In fact, my favorite float during the parade was of a trans support group that consisted of many F2M participants who very recently underwent Mastectomies, and were rocking scars and stitches like nobody's business. Almost brought a tear to my eye.

I deeply respect anyone who flaunts a little body on pride— specifically the relatable, normal looking people those who don't fit textbook, underwear-model templates. Now some of those may have unhealthy motivations, but as Ratsky stated, more often than not it usually takes a lot of courage to challenge body images insecurities.

In fact, my favorite float during the parade was of a trans support group that consisted of many F2M participants who very recently underwent Mastectomies and were rocking scars and stitches like nobody's business. Almost brought a tear to my eye.
Wow, that definitely sounds inanely awesome, yeah. Mad respect to them. Anyone who has the kind of guts/confidence to do something like that is definitely cool in my book. ^_^

Dead Man

I deeply respect anyone who flaunts a little body on pride— specifically the relatable, normal looking people those who don't fit textbook, underwear-model templates. Now some of those may have unhealthy motivations, but as Ratsky stated, more often than not it usually takes a lot of courage to challenge body images insecurities.

In fact, my favorite float during the parade was of a trans support group that consisted of many F2M participants who very recently underwent Mastectomies and were rocking scars and stitches like nobody's business. Almost brought a tear to my eye.

Well said. Even if I don't find someone sexually attractive, or even visually appealing, that shouldn't encroach on their ability to express themselves or be proud of their sexuality (not only sexual orientation).

This is silly. I have already said that I would be a poor expositor of the arguments he defended since they rely on a fundamentally different philosophical paradigm than my own, and the specific arguments themselves are incidental to my dilemma. I only wanted to know if anyone here would continue being close friends with anyone who opposed same-sex marriage. For crying out loud!

I would NEVER stay friends with someone who opposes same-sex marriage, it has to do with self-respect, and for straight people, respect for your LGBT friends/family.

Also, there are only stupid reasons for opposing same-sex marriage, sounds like your friend isn't as intelligent as you may think.

Kater

Banned
I don't like these statutory holidays at all.

I wish we wouldn't have those statutory catholic holidays here and in exchange got another two weeks of vacation days that we could spend however we wanted instead of having 13 days free spread across a year. (Sometimes these holidays even fall on a weekend which makes them even more of a waste.)

Kater

Banned
No, is that something that happens in NA/Can? That you get a day free if one of those holidays falls on a saturday/sunday?
Not happening in 'Yurop, es far as I know.

Achtius

No, is that something that happens in NA/Can? That you get a day free if one of those holidays falls on a saturday/sunday?
Not happening in 'Yurop, es far as I know.

It is in Canada.

hairy all over, but not too hairy, great amount of hairyness. and thats my boyfriend, no one you could know, i just wanted to show him off, since i think he's the hottest guy around;)

judging from that picture, he might be

This is silly. I have already said that I would be a poor expositor of the arguments he defended since they rely on a fundamentally different philosophical paradigm than my own, and the specific arguments themselves are incidental to my dilemma. I only wanted to know if anyone here would continue being close friends with anyone who opposed same-sex marriage. For crying out loud!

The issue here is that they aren't incidental to your dilemma; they're a fundamental component. Whether or not I would remain close friends with somebody who opposes same-sex marriage is deepy entwined with the reason/reasons that they feel this way and the extent that they believe this, and I would have to imagine that the vast majority of people would feel similarly. If you wish to take your question literally and abstract it, so it's "is there any set of circumstances which would allow you to remain friends with somebody who is opposed to same-sex marriage" then yes, the intricacies of your friend's belief are irrelevant, but the answer to this question, which would be a yes from me, offers very little in the way of advice.

I also very much disagree with the notion that you need to share one's 'philosophical paradigm' in order to expound adequately/convincingly upon another's belief/argument, but that's a different matter entirely.

EDIT: Oh and happy birthday Brawly! Have you any plans or will you simply take it easy and relax for the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom