• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT4| We're (still) Here! We're (still) Queer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are...are you a chocobo?
Sorry you got laughed at, though.

Heh that was the best approximation I could some up with. Now that I think about it, I basically thought it was pronounced like Que from the word Quest.

And getting laughed at wasn't a big deal. It was only a small embarrassment.

RM8

I think the verb system isn't too bad. Tenses are a pain in the ass to memorize but the conjugation itself is fairly intuitive.

On that subject I need to start reviewing my Spanish, I haven't taken courses in nearly 4 years. After I feel I have a firm grasp on Spanish again maybe I'll learn Greek (my extended family's mother tongue) or Japanese.

Of course I'm getting ahead of myself.
I just think they're definitely more bullcrap-ish than in English. Your verbs have comparatively very few forms, it's pretty straightforward.

Yeah. The main benefit of Japanese is that if you can spell something you can pronounce it. And if you can pronounce it you can (almost always) spell it.
Spanish is the same, it's very logical spelling-wise.

That's when consuming English media comes into play! Though I'm sure you've been doing that often.
Oh, I do. In text form, lol. I don't listen to music in English and I'm not really into series and TV. This is something I'm going to change now, though :3

It is trial and error. I'm a native english speaker and never heard the word "queue" spoken. I thought it was pronounced like "kweh" but it is pronounced like the letter Q. Got laughed at. :(

I will say that (in my experience) English speakers are extremely forgiving when it comes to foreigners' accents.
My accent doesn't worry me as much as having perfect listening, that's my priority right now. Some accents are Russian to me :(

Not bad honestly. I mean it is definitely accented and you can tell from listening that Spanish is your native language, but I don't think any native speaker of English would have trouble understanding you. I find it very easy to make out all the words you are saying.
Cool, thanks! :p

Kater

Banned
What kind of masochist buys console Bethesda games?

I think the verb system isn't too bad. Tenses are a pain in the ass to memorize but the conjugation itself is fairly intuitive.

On that subject I need to start reviewing my Spanish, I haven't taken courses in nearly 4 years. After I feel I have a firm grasp on Spanish again maybe I'll learn Greek (my extended family's mother tongue) or Japanese.

Of course I'm getting ahead of myself.
I bought Fallout New Vegas and Oblivion for XB360 on release day.

imadeaterriblemistake.gif

I've learned out of my mistakes though, so it had at least one positive side effect.

Watching media in English really does help, like I said I've been watching Big Brother for the last few days and it really improved my listening and understanding skills since all they do is fucking whisper. I also feel like more comfortable with my English for some reason idk.

daripad

BTW here's me reciting a beautiful poem in case anyone wants to rate my Sofía Vergara-ness :p

lol I'm dying, I can't stop laughing, what a classic.

Your pronunciation is fine but it need some...accent? Because it really tells that your native language is spanish. You could try saying the words slower and giving them a certain tone (?) and progressively go faster so it feels more natural for you. I don't know if you got what I'm saying but that's the only piece of advice I can give, though I don't know if my spoken english is decent.

Kater

Banned
I learned english by listening to Youtube Let's Plays. :p

I also read around 100 english books already, not counting comic books. That may have helped as well. My spoken english is still pretty bad though. Very bad, actually. I try to improve it by talking loudly in english with myself but I can't really hear any improvements yet.

Dead Man

That's pretty flattering and encouraging :3 Thanks a lot!

Vowels - we have 5 vowel sounds in Spanish. They always sound the same, they don't glide, they're pronounced the same everywhere in the world, etc. - when you start learning English and realize that laugh doesn't sound like... say, taught, you really don't know what's going anymore, lol. Then you eventually get an okay grip on English vowels, only to encounter an Australian accent. I'm convinced it's one of the most challenging aspects of English! This is not something you have to experience while learning Spanish or Japanese (obviously those have their own challenges, like our bitchy overly-complicated Spanish verbs). I'd benefit a lot from visiting an English speaking country, really :(

Damn Australians :) We really do have a weird accent, as does NZ. I often get asked if I am from South Africa when I am overseas, must be the remnants of my US accent or something. People here in Australia think I sound a bit posh when I speak, it's kind of funny. As I get older I think my accent is more typically Australian.

Gendered nouns do change between regions, lol. Example: el PlayStation (Mexico), la PlayStation (Spain).

BTW here's me reciting a beautiful poem in case anyone wants to rate my Sofía Vergara-ness :p

Lovely poem, lol. Your voice is so rich, very nice. And you mean it even changes within the same language by region? Gah, I could never cope with that. I barely manage with English as my only language, I have the utmost respect for the multi-lingual.

Same thing happens in Skyrim. Considering their both made by the same company...

Gamebryo is just not a good match for PS3 I think, they should have invested enough resources to get it working though. No excuses by now.

Oh, I do. In text form, lol. I don't listen to music in English and I'm not really into series and TV. This is something I'm going to change now, though :3

My accent doesn't worry me as much as having perfect listening, that's my priority right now. Some accents are Russian to me :(

Pfft. I meant audio based media!

I don't know if you have Netflix, but the English language content has English subtitles if you can use a VPN or whatever to trick it into thinking you are located in the US. That'd help a lot when you first start out. Though honestly, you're probably only going to come across one accent in most English media, which most Americans consider "not an accent."

Which accents do you have trouble with? Things like Australian accents probably would confuse native American speakers. I dunno though since I haven't listened to any Australian speaker.

edit:

Honestly as hard as some bits of English can be, I think it is probably extremely easy to learn. Or at least it is easy to learn to write in English. I've come across so many people online who I never would guess weren't native speakers, and a ton of them learned English just by reading comics, playing games, watching English TV shows/movies.

Like I've watched tons of anime but I didn't end up with the level of Japanese proficiency that a ton of people seem to get in English just by consuming English media.

daripad

I learned english by listening to Youtube Let's Plays. :p

I also read around 100 english books already, not counting comic books. That may have helped as well. My spoken english is still pretty bad though. Very bad, actually. I try to improve it by talking loudly in english with myself but I can't really hear any improvements yet.

I do this a lot. Its downside is that you don't know if you're improving because no one can tell you and sometimes you expect yourself saying things in a certain way and you don't notice if you mispronounced something.

I need to read more books in english. No, I need to read more books x)

Edit: Rm88, why don't you try audiobooks?

Caladrius

I just think they're definitely more bullcrap-ish than in English. Your verbs have comparatively very few forms, it's pretty straightforward.

For the most part, yeah. The only major hurdles are that the rules for the various past tenses are pedantic to the point that they regularly trip up even native speakers, and that it's easy to drift in and out of tenses when you're not supposed to.

I bought Fallout New Vegas and Oblivion for XB360 on release day.

imadeaterriblemistake.gif

I've learned out of my mistakes though, so it had at least one positive side effect.

That's almost as bad as getting a nipple piercing from a drunk friend.

Which accents do you have trouble with? Things like Australian accents probably would confuse native American speakers. I dunno though since I haven't listened to any Australian speaker.
This was mind-blowing to me when I first came to the States and some people were like, "Yeah, I can't understand British people at all when they speak." The same went for many other non-American English accents. I've even had to serve as an interpreter of sorts. A lot of people avoided certain professors due to their accents and didn't like them for that reason, so I had to be more wary of people's recommendations.

RM8

Actually, I learned to appreciate Australian accents. Their A sounds like a proper A! :p I don't know which one I find the hardest for sure, my brain just hates mushy consonants, silent letters I didn't know were silent, and overly-glidy vowels.

And yeah, audio books are a good idea :p I'll also download podcasts and similar stuff.

Dead Man

This was mind-blowing to me when I first came to the States and some people were like, "Yeah, I can't understand British people at all when they speak." The same went for many other non-American English accents. I've even had to serve as an interpreter of sorts. A lot of people avoided certain professors due to their accents and didn't like them for that reason, so I had to be more wary of people's recommendations.

God yes. Sorry Americans, but you guys suck at non US accents :) I've lived there on and off for years at a time and still at the end of each stay lots of people had trouble understanding what I was saying. Got kind of frustrating at times.

Edit: What was most frustrating was those people like my grandmother who insisted she had no accent, and everyone else was the problem :/

Kater

Banned
I do this a lot. Its downside is that you don't know if you're improving because no one can tell you and sometimes you expect yourself saying things in a certain way and you don't notice if you mispronounced something.

I need to read more books in english. No, I need to read more books x)

Edit: Rm88, why don't you try audiobooks?

Well, I chatted with Kinsei last time when we played MK8 but I think that didn't went well (in the sense of that on my part I didn't communicate all that much, Kinsei was actually pretty nice and understanding) because I was way too insecure about my lacking spoken english skills to speak all that much. Maybe I have the chance to improve said skills over time by playing and chatting more with you guys or the Gaming Side GAFfers in the coming months. (MK8, Fantasy Life, Smash Bros)

For the most part, yeah. The only major hurdles are that the rules for the various past tenses are pedantic to the point that they regularly trip up even native speakers, and that it's easy to drift in and out of tenses when you're not supposed to.

That's almost as bad as getting a nipple piercing from a drunk friend.

terrible_mistake_game4mkom.gif

Caladrius

God yes. Sorry Americans, but you guys suck at non US accents :) I've lived there on and off for years at a time and still at the end of each stay lots of people had trouble understanding what I was saying. Got kind of frustrating at times.

I think it's mostly a consequence of most of our media being domestically produced. The rare works that do get imported are usually completely remade/redubbed for the market.

There's effectively no foreign penetration into the American film and television industries, so we never get exposed to the dialects in our media.

That's why you should pay heed to your friendly neighborhood Caladrius.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to stick a propane tank inside my oven.

Dead Man

I think it's mostly a consequence of most of our media being domestically produced. The rare works that do get imported are usually completely remade/redubbed for the market.

There's effectively no foreign penetration into the American film and television industries, so we never get exposed to the dialects in our media.

True. So many great foreign actors work in the US with US accents too. I know often they are playing a specifically American character, but even when it is not specified they use an American accent :(

Yeah I think that's probably the main problem. Just a lack of experience.

They should just make Coronation Street and Neighbours required viewing as part of the American education system to get at least 2 more accents covered.
I apologize in advance, Americans.

daripad

Maybe I have the chance to improve said skills over time by playing and chatting more with you guys

You don't want to hear me swearing :p

I don't think I have encountered a Spanish accent I don't understand, really. Since it's a language with relatively few and rather rigid sounds it doesn't change as wildly as English.

You haven't heard some people from where I live. I live here and sometimes I don't know what people are trying to say.

RM8

I don't think I have encountered a Spanish accent I don't understand, really. Since it's a language with relatively few and rather rigid sounds it doesn't change as wildly as English.

Dead Man

They should just make Coronation Street and Neighbours required viewing as part of the American education system to get at least 2 more accents covered.
I apologize in advance, Americans.

Oh god, I wouldn't inflict either of those on anyone, not even for the best of causes! :)

Kater

Banned
[B said:
daripad;119713661]You don't want to hear me swearing :p[/B]

You haven't heard some people from where I live. I live here and sometimes I don't know what people are trying to say.

Well, why not? :p
Would be a good way to learn some new words to throw at annoying people on twitter.

---

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neB4XkB7v7M
I wonder if I sound like this. I wonder if my accent is as apparent as his.
Oh my, I hope it isn't. That would just make me the target of ridicule. :/

Dead Man

His put on one. That's how most people here sound like when they talk in english, the thickness of the accent varies though.

Okay, I was going to say I loved his natural accent, his put on one sounded very nasally though. No idea how Austrians sound though, I've not heard many speak English.

daripad

Well, why not? :p
Would be a good way to learn some new words to throw at annoying people on twitter.

---

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neB4XkB7v7M
I wonder if I sound like this. I wonder if my accent is as apparent as his.
Oh my, I hope it isn't. That would just make me the target of ridicule. :/

You are pissed at some people on Twitter, I've seen it. And I don't swear frequently.

That's a funny accent. I wonder how is my accent, specially considering that my voice is already weird in Spanish. Oh, and I can't pronounce the strong R in spanish :'(

Caladrius

The drone strikes will continue until Coronation street is canceled.

I speak a mixture of 3 dialects, primarily Midwestern/broadcast standard, with a smattering of New England (lived there for 6 years) and Dixie inflections (from my mother). For some reason no one comments on it and despite moving around for 10 years I've only met a few people with strong accents that I wasn't related to.

True. So many great foreign actors work in the US with US accents too. I know often they are playing a specifically American character, but even when it is not specified they use an American accent :(
Yeah I think that's probably the main problem. Just a lack of experience.

I've always considered the aversion to external accents on any characters strange considering we have at least 6 dialects (It's closer to 10, actually, but details). Maybe the producers and higher-ups think the lowest common denominator wouldn't relate or something.

Of course with the way some people are I wouldn't be surprised if they were actually right.

Kater

Banned
Okay, I was going to say I loved his natural accent, his put on one sounded very nasally though. No idea how Austrians sound though, I've not heard many speak English.

No wonder though, since there aren't many of them on the big screen in America. And the ones who are, like Christoph Waltz for example, have somehow completely dropped their accent. (Chritoph Waltz at Conan O'Briens talk show)

You are pissed at some people on Twitter, I've seen it. And I don't swear frequently.

That's a funny accent. I wonder how is my accent, specially considering that my voice is already weird in Spanish. Oh, and I can't pronounce the strong R in spanish :'(

Yeah, stupid bigots on twitter. Not that this is something surprising but that doesn't mean that their offensive words just fly by, they hit and I get angry.

And yeah, I hate that accent. hope it is not as bad in my case. :(

daripad

Yeah, stupid bigots on twitter. Not that this is something surprising but that doesn't mean that their offensive words just fly by, they hit and I get angry.

And yeah, I hate that accent. hope it is not as bad in my case. :(

Have they said things directed at you?

Dead Man

The drone strikes will continue until Coronation street is canceled.

I speak a mixture of 3 dialects, primarily Midwestern/broadcast standard, with a smattering of New England (lived there for 6 years) and Dixie inflections (from my mother). For some reason no one comments on it and despite moving around for 10 years I've only met a few people with strong accents that I wasn't related to.

I've always considered the aversion to external accents on any characters strange considering we have at least 6 dialects (It's closer to 10, actually, but details). Maybe the producers and higher-ups think the lowest common denominator wouldn't relate or something.

Of course with the way some people are I wouldn't be surprised if they were actually right.
Best use of drone strikes possible. And yeah, they probably are right :/

How well can you understand this Rm88?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmL72sgVdAQ

Shit man, I couldn't understand half of that lol Love that bogan culture ;) Australia in 2 Minutes

https://twitter.com/TheREALKoopaTV/status/485562814162292736
Maybe it was a direct stab at me, I will probably never know.
It's kind of odd that this person tweeted me this, since I have it standing in my profile info that I'm "part of the LGBT OT" on NeoGAF. I think I'm not paranoid in thinking that the tweet had ill intent.
Well, they've apparently "trolled" NeoGAF before (if you look at their "Finished" '"campaigns"'), and it seems one of their contributors is a NeoGAF member... It is definitely not a coincidence, but you were probably one of many viable targets. Don't let a potentially mentally ill, Bible-quoting bigot get to you.

It sort of is, but exaggerated from the most common accents for comedy effect. That siad, I have run into people that do talk exactly like that.

I forget where, but a long time ago I read something online that said "If you are American and want to understand an Australian accent say "Rise up lights" very fast and out loud. That is how an Australian says "razor blades."

Based on that video it seems fairly accurate!

Kater

Banned

bsej87

Catching up and wanted to say I agree with Gato's assessment of the Fallout rankings.

Also, don't listen to Rm. He speaks beautiful English and he knows it :D

Dead Man

I forget where, but a long time ago I read something online that said "If you are American and want to understand an Australian accent say "Rise up lights" very fast and out loud. That is how an Australian says "razor blades."

Based on that video it seems fairly accurate!

Haha, just tried it and it's not far off some of the more ocker accents lol.

I wonder if it was because of my own threads, or if it was because I frequent these LGBT related threads... :/
It seems he was an active dissident against #Miiquality and Nintendo threads, so anything is possible. Just block him on Twitter and don't give him the satisfaction. He wants this reaction from you. He is not worth a single ounce of your consideration or thought.

Kater

Banned
Catching up and wanted to say I agree with Gato's assessment of the Fallout rankings.

Also, don't listen to Rm. He speaks beautiful English and he knows it :D

thumbsupdoctor11dejj6.gif

It seems he was an active dissident against #Miiquality and Nintendo threads, so anything is possible. Just block him on Twitter and don't give him the satisfaction. He wants this reaction from you. He is not worth a single ounce of your consideration or thought.

Done. :)

Ha, Sai_kun chimed in on the conversation between that person and me. :p

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I wanted to get a Fallout game for PS3. Is that a bad idea?

Yes. Bethesda's games are horrible on consoles, especially on PS3. Avoid at all costs.

What kind of masochist buys console Bethesda games?

QFT

here's me reciting a beautiful poem in case anyone wants to rate my Sofía Vergara-ness :p

your voice is gud. make me an asmr video

His put on one. That's how most people here sound like when they talk in english, the thickness of the accent varies though.

I could barely understand 1/3 of what he was saying with that accent.

Mr_Zombie

Yes. As the save file gets bigger, performance falls off a cliff from memory. PC is really the only platform that isn't a bugfest, and that's only because of fan made mods.

Oh yes, mods. They help with turning the game from ugly duckling into a beautiful swan (well, more or less): better textures, better faces, Nevada skies project and ENB series really helps the game shine. Not to mention other mods: better UI, ability to sort things by type, balance things etc.

On the other hand, dunno if this is due to mods or the game itself, but sometimes it's a crash-fest. I find myself doing a quick save every 5 minutes because you never know when the next crash can happen.

Kater

Banned
Oh yes, mods. They help turning the game from ugly duckling into beautiful swan (well, more or less): better textures, better faces, Nevada skies project and ENB series really helps the game shine. Not to mention other mods: better UI, ability to sort things by type, balance things etc.

On the other hand, dunno if this is due to mods or the game itself, but sometimes it's a crash-fest. I find myself doing a quick save every 5 minutes because you never know when the next crash can happen.

There are also mods for nude male body textures on the NV Nexus, just saying. ;p

Apropos mods, I'm amazed by these right here:

Fallout Character Overhaul
http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/54460/?

Niner (Companion mod):
http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/48002/?

And if you are searching for good UI mods, check out Gopher's mods.

Mr_Zombie

There are also mods for nude male body textures on the NV Nexus, just saying. ;p

Pfft, you think I haven't checked it out already. :p

I'm trying to install this one and the game crashes right after launch. I've even deactivated all other mods but with no success. :(
It seems something that wasn't t installed with the Mod Manager clashes with this mod.

Shame, because those faces look a lot better than the vanilla or even redesigned ones.

daripad

https://twitter.com/TheREALKoopaTV/status/485562814162292736
Maybe it was a direct stab at me, I will probably never know.
It's kind of odd that this person tweeted me this, since I have it standing in my profile info that I'm "part of the LGBT OT" on NeoGAF. I think I'm not paranoid in thinking that the tweet had ill intent.

That's rude. People are harmful :'(

That explains your tweets about how you hated people on Twitter or something like that

Kater

Banned
Pfft, you think I haven't checked it out already. :p

I'm trying to install this one and the game crashes right after launch. I've even deactivated all other mods but with no success. :(
It seems something that wasn't t installed with the Mod Manager clashes with this mod.

Shame, because those faces look a lot better than the vanilla or even redesigned ones.

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/44745/?
Try using this here, it's called boss and organizes the mods if they are not in the correct order in the Mod Manager, pretty useful for the people who are new to the modding community.

If you haven't downloaded the Mod Manager which I mentioned above, here is the link to that as well:

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/modmanager/?
That's rude. People are harmful :'(

That explains your tweets about how you hated people on Twitter or something like that

They are, I'm just glad that this person is not in a position of power. Yeah, I may went a bit overboard with how angry I got... :/

So I came across thus Tumblr post this morning with Nash Grier being extremely homophobic. I had no idea who he was but Delio filled me in, he's basically one of those "internet famous" kids because of his Vines and Youtube videos. While it doesn't surprise me that someone who is a celebrity based off of takling pictures/videos of themselves is a huge narcissistic douche, it's annoying how mindless fangirls brush aside vile things guys do because they're attractive and "devoted" to stanning them. It's probably best to ignore this sorta thing, but it still bothers me.

http://lsdzeppelin.tumblr.com/post/90945995288

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom