• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT4| We're (still) Here! We're (still) Queer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caladrius

I don't drink and can't smoke. I'll never try recreational drugs.

Yes, guys, I'm so boring and is a big reason why I don't have many friends.

You don't need to do drugs.

You just need to be mistaken for doing so.

People think I'm perpetually on weed for instance.

Sibylus

Banned
I've avoided alcohol for personal reasons. Tried marijuana multiple times, but had a bad experience my last time so I haven't been keen to try it again.
I drink, but not to get intoxicated (except in times of great stress). I just like the variety available in the world of alcohol.
Damn, doing better than me on that front. Only an occasional drinker for cost reasons, but I'd be lying if I said I don't want to get drunk constantly when times are stressful.

Mr. F

Banned
From time to time in my extremely stressful last year of university (and even now) I considered taking up smoking as an easy out to dealing with nerves and anxiety. Glad I never went through with it, seemed like a slippery slope/band-aid solution.

Damn, doing better than me on that front. Only an occasional drinker for cost reasons, but I'd be lying if I said I don't want to get drunk constantly when times are stressful.

Meh, having an alcoholic father/grandfather/sister will tend to make you reluctant to try it. I mean I'm open to trying alcohol. I just either end up chickening out or I decide not to purchase any at the store because I'm not accustomed to the taste and tend to be frugal. To date I've had a sip (I believe whiskey mixed with some sort of soda), and the taste didn't encourage me to try more.

I'll probably try and get used to it at some point, if only because it is good for socializing.

Single monitor pleb. :V

Right... I've only really ever used laptops or one monitor computers. I keep forgetting that you can have more than one.

From time to time in my extremely stressful last year of university (and even now) I considered taking up smoking as an easy out to dealing with nerves and anxiety. Glad I never went through with it, seemed like a slippery slope/band-aid solution.

Get one of those electronic cigarette things and get those cartridges that are loaded with
frankincense, it has some actual anxiolytic and antidepressant effects for me :p

I used to be in a constant cannabinoid haze when I was pretty depressed. It worked out alright as far as coping mechanisms go, it certainly wasn't the best but it wasn't really the worst either. These days I'll enjoy a few ounces of a red wine, but that's basically it :p

Sibylus

Banned
Meh, having an alcoholic father/grandfather/sister will tend to make you reluctant to try it. I mean I'm open to trying alcohol. I just either end up chickening out or I decide not to purchase any at the store because I'm not accustomed to the taste and tend to be frugal. To date I've had a sip (I believe whiskey mixed with some sort of soda), and the taste didn't encourage me to try more.

I'll probably try and get used to it at some point, if only because it is good for socializing.
Had an alcoholic grandpappy, did make me reluctant until I found stuff I liked (rum, fruity wines, cider, girly drinks, etc). So long as I'm not drinking rye until my liver dies, I'll be doing far better than that old hateful bastard.

Caladrius

Right... I've only really ever used laptops or one monitor computers. I keep forgetting that you can have more than one.

You're not missing too much considering the practical applications are kind of outstripped by the extra power draw, at least for penny-pinchers like me.

Had an alcoholic grandpappy, did make me reluctant until I found stuff I liked (rum, fruity wines, cider, girly drinks, etc). So long as I'm not drinking rye until my liver dies, I'll be doing far better than that old hateful bastard.

I think in some ways it's pretty hard to be an alcoholic, just because it's a lot more than just having a monkey on your back like some of the more 'functional' addictions.

Kater

Banned
Cider, wine and Budweiser is all you need in life when it comes to alcohol.
No harder stuff though. Harder stuff really gets to me, messes me up.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Red wine, lambic, ciders, rum, whiskey, vodka...

And occasionally, Modela Negra.

Ties

Banned
i don't drink/smoke at all tbh

not willing to date an alcoholic/avid smoker

it pisses me off when i catch my mom smoking everyday so i just can't do it

Grizzo

Thanks for the sweet word the other day! You all look cute too, we should do a GayGAF get-together, if only we were all living not far from each other :(

As for this vices conversation, I drink, I smoke (but only at parties) and I do drugs occasionally (that's like once every few months).

Sai-kun

Banned
Tequila is the only thing that will make me black out. And unfortunately it always seems to find its way back into my drinks.

Yeah, I don't have nearly the misanthropic rage to fuel me as that guy did.

That and I'm more a happy drunk, so ymmv I suppose.

you and i need to drink and play some vidya games together sometime.

Sibylus

Banned
I think in some ways it's pretty hard to be an alcoholic, just because it's a lot more than just having a monkey on your back like some of the more 'functional' addictions.
Yeah, I don't have nearly the misanthropic rage to fuel me as that guy did.

That and I'm more a happy drunk, so ymmv I suppose.

My brother is dealing with a bit of an alcohol problem at the moment and it boggled my mind that you can't just willingly stop. I get hungover once and I call it off for months. I know it's much harder for alcoholics but I just can't understand how that must feel.

Dany

Banned
My brother is dealing with a bit of an alcohol problem at the moment and it boggled my mind that you can't just willingly stop. I get hungover once and I call it off for months. I know it's much harder for alcoholics but I just can't understand how that must feel.

My dad suffers the same. It's an addiction. He can't remain sober long enough because detox is too hard.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I know it's much harder for alcoholics but I just can't understand how that must feel.

I can sort of understand it. Sometimes, pain gets so bad that you'd be willing to do anything to alleviate it. If you've ever had mild food poisoning, you'd know what I'm talking about. For an alcoholic, being sober must be such an awful experience that it drives them to drink, regardless of the consequences. What they're dealing with isn't pain rooted in physiology, but pain stemming from emotional/mental anguish.

mario is a well known drug promoter

save our children from nintendo

marioro_kart64.jpg

marioro...marlboro..
That always bothered me as a kid that they would deliberately choose to parody a cigarette ad in a game for kids. I was just like... why is that even there? Of course, then again, I wasn't bothered by stuff like seeing cartoon characters smoke, but something about that always stood out to me as odd for some reason. Dunno.

Looking up the dates now, it looks like when Mario Kart 64 was released was coincidentally the same time that stuff like Joe the Camel stopped being used, so I suppose that was all timing after all. Always figured that happened earlier than that though for some reason. Huh. The more you know, I guess.

Not even some dranking? Gaygaf, you disappoint.
Not opposed to giving alcohol a try myself. Just money and stuff is kinda an issue there, which I happened to talk about just a bit ago in more detail here:
For me, I'm definitely not opposed to trying it. Just haven't really had the opportunity. I'm a broke college student and don't have any money myself or anything, so I pretty much just drink what's around the house and neither of my parents are that big on alcohol at all, so there's really even any beer at my house, which I'm fine with, because it's just something I never really could imagine myself enjoying the taste of anyway (I'm kinda a picky eater and stuff in general).

As for wine and stuff, that's even rarer since my folks really, really don't have any money either and so when I see the bottle in the fridge I really don't even think about pouring myself a glass, not because my parents would likely have a problem with it if I did, far from it, but when I see a bottle in the fridge, I just naturally think of it as a treat they got themselves which they both damn well earned and deserve to enjoy and so I just let them have it to themselves, especially since I don't need it or anything anyway. Similar deal with eating out--that very, very rarely happens as it is and when it does I'd just feel guilty making the bill even more expensive than it has to be by getting anything other than some type of soft drink or anything, especially as I've proven I can live without it anyway, so why try.

But yeah, I'm definitely curious though and wouldn't mind giving a bunch of stuff a try at least (and I can't help but be a bit curious about what I'd be like drunk). I suppose summing all that stuff up, it just comes down to my being a poor college kid who doesn't have a job, car, or license, and my just absolutely loving the heck out of my parents to a fault. ^_^ Get all but the last of those worked out (which naturally I hope never changes <3) and yeah, I'd definitely be good with giving stuff a try though and seeing what happens.

I used to be like you, having only used laptops since forever. Then I realized that most televisions can also double as monitors for computers and the only other thing you need is an HDMI cable (which my Wii U provided and is just sitting there unused anyway when I'm not playing anything on it) and well, let's just say that Timmy has never been happier since. ^_^
cxs2w.jpg

i don't drink/smoke at all tbh

not willing to date an alcoholic/avid smoker

it pisses me off when i catch my mom smoking everyday so i just can't do it
Yeah, I definitely don't mind if someone only casually drinks or whatever, but alcoholism would definitely be a problem, yeah. And the same would go for smoking--I wouldn't be able to stand dating a person, knowing that they'll slowly killing themselves and that I would likely have to watch them die a slow and painful death from all kinds of possible cancers and stuff. Of course, if they're willing, I would do whatever I could to help them to quit and try and be as supportive and help in whatever way I could, but if they're not wiling to, then there's no way I could date someone like that. I'd just worry myself to death over them every night and date. I just wouldn't be able to do it at all.

It's like how when you're depressed it's hard getting out of bed. You don't want to be awake, you want to sleep everything away. It's a method of narcotization or coping with problems by ignoring them. I think it's really easy to understand. You're given a very attractive 'out', it's hard not to make that your first response, and then you just get stuck. It becomes your everything because it represents this binary between being 'well' and being broken. It's really powerful.

Kater

Banned
Yeah, I definitely don't mind if someone only casually drinks or whatever, but alcoholism would definitely be a problem, yeah. And the same would go for smoking--I wouldn't be able to stand dating a person, knowing that they'll slowly killing themselves and that I would likely have to watch them die a slow and painful death from all kinds of possible cancers and stuff. Of course, if they're willing, I would do whatever I could to help them to quit and try and be as supportive and help in whatever way I could, but if they're not wiling to, then there's no way I could date someone like that. I'd just worry myself to death over them every night and date. I just wouldn't be able to do it at all.

Everyone will die anyway in some horrible way or the other.
daria.jpg

Dead Man

If you send me body pics I'll reply. I promise.

LOL, you haven't seen them yet, you might run away, screaming.

:)

Cigarettes just taste so gross to me. :/ Total turnoff.

I agree though that I wouldn't wanna date someone who was only about drugs and stuff. Oppositely though, at this point in my life, I wouldn't wanna date someone who wouldn't even try something. I think shared drug use can be romantic ;P Getting high and fooling around = yes

Yeah, as long as it's in moderation some drugs can be awesome. Can't go back to ciggies though, smoked a packl and a half a day for 15 years, never ever smoking again. I have dated some smokers since then, but yeah, the smell is pretty off putting now.

LOL, you haven't seen them yet, you might run away, screaming.

To my credit, I never said how I would respond. Only that I would. Running away is definitely a response of some sort.

Yeah, as long as it's in moderation some drugs can be awesome. Can't go back to ciggies though, smoked a packl and a half a day for 15 years, never ever smoking again. I have dated some smokers since then, but yeah, the smell is pretty off putting now.

Ciggy butt brain.

I've come across some people who use recreational drugs and it just made my point of view clearer. I'm sure they swear they're in control but they're totally not. They talk about it all the time and can't seem to have a good time without having a smoke.

I find it so stupid. I don't care if they're awesome, I'll never even try them.

(I'm talking about blunts, they're really disgusting, I hate the ducking smell)

Dead Man

I've come across some people who use recreational drugs and it just made my point of view clearer. I'm sure they swear they're in control but they're totally not. They talk about it all the time and can't seem to have a good time without having a smoke.

You need to meet a better class of people, then.

Some people are more than willing to sacrifice a degree of self-control for fun/socialization/whatever and I don't see that as something inherently bad. People have been drinking and getting drunk since the dawn of civilization and maybe even before. I don't partake, but I don't see the point of getting angry/indignant at others for not having the same set of values.

Hell, if you want to get down to it you're never fully in control. You've been exposed to a very specific set of cultural norms and social values since birth that shape the very way you see the world. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_construction

(I'm talking about blunts, they're really disgusting, I hate the ducking smell)

I'm with you here Vic. I'm sorry for those in gaygaf that use them but it's just not cool.

Oh I see his edit, he was just talking about blunts. Well if you find alcohol just dandy but somehow think weed leads to a greater loss of self control then you're likely factually incorrect and a raging hypocrite.

Drugs are just tools, they have their responsible and irresponsible uses. Everything can be either medicine or poison depending on the dose or attitude.

You need to meet a better class of people, then.
One of them was my closet friend from high school, we drifted appart before he started doing it (or at least since I knew about it).

The other one is my roommate (well, I'm living at their place since I moved to Mexico, a married couple). The girl is the one who does it the most, I can't understand how her husband doesn't really mind. It doesn't bother me that much except for the times they get together with other friends. They're really nice people though. I'll probably move out in the not so distant future.

By the way, just being in a social group can drastically make you lose a great deal of personal control over your own actions. There's tons of studies shown that showcase this. People will do things in a group that they'd never do as an individual. So if your problem with drugs is that they make you lose some part of self-control I really hope you limit your exposure to other humans.

Dead Man

One of them was my closet friend from high school, we drifted appart before he started doing it (or at least since I knew about it).

The other one is my roommate (well, I'm living at their place since I moved to Mexico, a married couple). The girl is the one who does it the most, I can't understand how her husband doesn't really mind. It doesn't bother me that much except for the times they get together with other friends. They're really nice people though. I'll probably move out in the not so distant future.

So what's the problem then? Other than the smell, which I can understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom