• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT4| We're (still) Here! We're (still) Queer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
But that is being judgmental :p

I hate this new PC era, people don't like stuff, everyone should learn to live with it. Furries are absolutely disturbing to me, I am judgmental, and it is likely "irrational", but it is what it is. I will not, however, try to pass out laws that prevent them from doing their freaky awful stuff because it doesn't harm anyone. And that is all I ask from straight people.

Whenever someone complains of a PC era I roll my eyes a bit. There is thus a burden on both the speaker and listener. The speaker should be expected to do their best to convey their message. The listener should do their best to understand the speaker. If a speaker uses a word that the listener finds offensive, the burden lies with both to some degree. For an innocuous word like "hamburger" most of us would find it asinine to place the burden on the speaker to not use that word. The listener would have the burden of not taking offense. But people who complain of the PC era seem to swing far in the other direction, and propose that the burden lies entirely on the listener. I find that to also be asinine.

The problem of course is that there is a gray area with minorities, usually. Words that offend transsexuals or gays are defended with fervor, because most people can't empathize with minority groups. They see the word faggot, or tranny, etc... as being as innocuous as "hamburger." We are then told that the burden lies on us, the listeners, to just not get mad or try to alter the speaker's speech. I imagine you have taken this to heart. But the problem here is that laws aren't the only thing that can cause harm. Sure, someone calling me a gross faggot, or calling someone a tranny doesn't do the same harm as passing a law that forbids homosexual relationships, or gender reassignment surgery. But those words still cause harm which is evidenced by the higher rates of suicide and mental illness for homosexuals and transgenders. I think it is fair then to ask speakers to keep that in mind and change their speech, even if they find the word as innocuous as hamburger.

When someone bitches about political correctness I can only think they underestimate the ability of language to contribute to cultural values that make life for minorities extremely difficult. Or lack empathy. Or both.

My philosophy is that if it doesn't affect other people, you can do whatever you want.

As a social species, words can affect other people. Sometimes just as much as laws. But then again people treat mental harm and mental illness as being either nonexistent or a problem of willpower/having thin skin. So nobody seems to care about mental harm. We're natural victim blamers.

Achtius

I never said it was okay to say stuff that would hurt others :3

If I don't have nice things to say, I try my best not to say it (in front of them).

I don't really think the furry thing is weird. Generally anthropomorphic characters are just people with animal features. The only thing that is kind of weird is like with any other fetish, when it becomes a crutch. I guess there's also the thing where a lot of commercial projects featuring anthropomorphic characters seem oriented towards kids, so I guess having those two categories be somewhat close feels mentally uncomfortable, but that's not really a meaningful observation.

Even when you look at something that could be considered closer to 'bestiality', it doesn't seem very strange. How many times did Zeus turn himself into some kind of bird or something and rape or court some human? Psychologically animals are our close relatives, and that kind of mythological framework seems to present an environment where the line between human, animal, and supranormal agent are all blurred in some way. I don't think it's hard to see why this idea is in a way appealing, it presents the world as a kind of wilderness filled with these various intelligences. Or how eroticism might work, between two sapient species with a completely different body-plan? As an observer, I think it's kind of interesting! :p

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
furries are so weird

image.php

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Nah, I was just using his Dreamworks Eyebrow Raise™.

Dead Man

I think for me it is useful to differentiate between what I find personally disgusting and what I think is universally disgusting.

Oysters are personally disgusting to me. Can't eat them, makes me feel sick just thinking about them. But people can eat them, it doesn't really bother me, even if it's in front of me, as long as they are not trying to get me to eat them.

Violence against innocent people is universally disgusting to me. Doesn't matter if it is happening a long way from me, it makes me mad as fuck.

Furries are more like oysters :)

mantidor

As a social species, words can affect other people. Sometimes just as much as laws. But then again people treat mental harm and mental illness as being either nonexistent or a problem of willpower/having thin skin. So nobody seems to care about mental harm. We're natural victim blamers.

This is very US - centric in my experience, and also why I just don't get many of the language issues faced in the US regarding race, sexual orientation, gender identity, etc, etc, etc. My experience though is only limited to Colombia and Brazil so I'm not sure if I can expand it to the rest of Latinamerica, but I think I can. Maybe is our long complex history of really bad stuff happening, or maybe is the languages themselves, being from a completely different origin, or maybe is none of the above, but the thing is we don't put that much weight in individual words, we put it in being direct and forward. If you don't like something in more than one occasion is consider rude to not say it outright. The accepted attitude of politically correct speech lauded in the US is considered being a double-faced asshole over here. People are awfully emotional and direct, for better or worse.

Of course, it's not that black and white when you start to really analyze it, given the big influence US culture has on ours, specially through Hollywood. So that culture has permeated ours for decades. It is only natural we try to imitate that, and is easier to see in the media, but certainly not in regular everyday interaction.

alvmew

like sex?

I associate the smell of cigarettes with sex. I don't smoke myself (makes my hands feel like they are on fire a few hours later, so I just stick to alcohol), but my first time
and the next two times
was with a smoker, so I just smell it and reminisce, I guess. I totally have a thing for people that smoke now sexually, but wouldn't date someone that does.

This is very US - centric in my experience, and also why I just don't get many of the language issues faced in the US regarding race, sexual orientation, gender identity, etc, etc, etc. My experience though is only limited to Colombia and Brazil so I'm not sure if I can expand it to the rest of Latinamerica, but I think I can. Maybe is our long complex history of really bad stuff happening, or maybe is the languages themselves, being from a completely different origin, or maybe is none of the above, but the thing is we don't put that much weight in individual words, we put it in being direct and forward. If you don't like something in more than one occasion is consider rude to not say it outright. The accepted attitude of politically correct speech lauded in the US is considered being a double-faced asshole over here. People are awfully emotional and direct, for better or worse.

Of course, it's not that black and white when you start to really analyze it, given the big influence US culture has on ours, specially through Hollywood. So that culture has permeated ours for decades. It is only natural we try to imitate that, and is easier to see in the media, but certainly not in regular everyday interaction.

It is possible I'm being ethnocentric here. It's just that we know LGBT minorities are at a higher risk of suicide than their straight peers. And I think a lot of that has to do with fear of being rejected. And why not? Teens and even some adults casually throw around "gay" and "faggot" as words with highly negative connotations. And perhaps I'm wrong, but I think LGBT individuals to internalize that, and think their own sexual identity is also negative. Of course there are other factors besides the language, but I truly believe it is one of them and something that is rather easy to deal with on a large scale with awareness campaigns and such.

I guess it could be seen as two-faced to not be direct with your feelings, if you actually did hate LGBT individuals or homosexuality. But I don't personally think the purpose of "PC" language campaigns is to change the feelings of those individuals. Instead, there are also people who throw around "that's so gay" and "faggot" without actually realizing the damage it is doing, and would gladly stop using the words if they were told that it was harmful.

Like, I've thrown around the word "retarded" and still sometimes do. But my roommate had a major problem with it and asked me to stop. Not wanting to hurt him I made an effort to not use the word around him. I don't see myself as being two faced. I see it more as being understanding that what is ok in some contexts isn't ok in another. Meh. I suppose seeing it as two-faced is a valid way of thinking, but that's just not how I see it. And I'd imagine the ones pushing for the sort of language shifts I'm talking about don't see it that way either.

Whenever I hear someone throw around faggot or that's so gay, I immediately lose respect for them. It has nothing to do with being PC and everything to do with being a considerate human being.

This is why I don't use the word retarded either, the beauty of language is that you can use so many words to describe something, it's not that hard to not use the one word that would shit one somebody's day.

Whenever I hear someone throw around faggot or that's so gay, I immediately lose respect for them. It has nothing to do with being PC and everything to do with being a considerate human being.

This is why I don't use the word retarded either, the beauty of language is that you can use so many words to describe something, it's not that hard to not use the one word that would shit one somebody's day.

Gonna have to agree. Especially when the people who claim to be so 'enlightened' for using these slurs tend to not belong to the group in question (or, often, in a position of relative privilege, far from the violence perpetuated on marginalized members of groups). smh at cis people who think they've got divine right to use t-slurs.

Grizzo

I actually block his avatars: They annoy me for some reason.
Just another blushing muscular anthropomorphic creature, nothing to see here.

Glad I'm not the only one.

How do you block someone's avatar? With a plugin or something? I know you can deactivate all avatars but I don't know how to block just a specific one.

What is a fetish if isn't something that makes those not into it uncomfortable? Without that, isn't it just "something I'm not into"? Which could be ascribed to even entirely mundane sexual acts that just don't float your boat.

"We're so proud today of the decision made by the Obama administration to resist the calls by a small number of right-wing conservatives to insert religious exemptions into civil rights protections," said Heather Cronk, executive director of grassroots LGBT group GetEqual, in a statement Friday. "While we will continue to press for full equality under the law for LGBTQ Americans, we’re thrilled with the announcement today and look forward to President Obama signing his name to an executive order on Monday that we can all be proud of."

Fuck yeah! This has been a hot-button issue within the community and for GetEQUAL for a while now.

RM8

I don't think I'm judgmental because of my feelings towards furry stuff or other fetishes, in the end I don't care about what people are into if it doesn't affect anyone. I'd just prefer not seeing it :p It's all.

daripad

I don't think I'm judgmental because of my feelings towards gay stuff or other preferences, in the end I don't care about what people are into if it doesn't affect anyone. I'd just prefer not seeing it :p It's all.
Fixed for what a lot straight people think, unfortunately :(

RM8

LTTP: Frozen. It was okay, funny at times, but it had far too much singing (I thought it was a "normal" Disney movie, not a musical) and I hated Elsa. Also I understood everything without subtitles :D That was definitely not the case with Transformers 4 (pretty bad movie) which I also watched recently.

LTTP: Frozen. It was okay, funny at times, but it had far too much singing (I thought it was a "normal" Disney movie, not a musical) and I hated Elsa. Also I understood everything without subtitles :D That was definitely not the case with Transformers 4 (pretty bad movie) which I also watched recently.

Musicals are great though.

You still like humans

True

Haven't seen Frozen, yet. Don't like musicals.
Saw Transformers 4, went in expecting nothing and was still disappointed. :p

RM8

Musicals are great though.
I don't have a negative opinion about them, but my taste in movies is comically narrow :p To be honest, most of the time I lose interest when characters start singing in movies.

Still, Let it Go is a decent song in Spanish, French and Japanese, I think.

Saw Transformers 4, went in expecting nothing and was still disappointed. :p
This. It's not like I was expecting anything great from a Transformers movie, but it was still really bad. I read somewhere something along the lines of "infinite budget, amazing CGI, a decent cast and a plot about giant robots - and Michael Bay managed to make a boring movie". Lol, it's so true. Also it's so loooong, I mostly hate long films.

I don't have a negative opinion about them, but my taste in movies is comically narrow :p To be honest, most of the time I lose interest when characters start singing in movies.

Still, Let it Go is a decent song in Spanish, French and Japanese, I think.

This. It's not like I was expecting anything great from a Transformers movie, but it was still really bad. I read somewhere something along the lines of "infinite budget, amazing CGI, a decent cast and a plot about giant robots - and Michael Bay managed to make a boring movie". Lol, it's so true. Also it's so loooong, I mostly hate long films.

I also share your narrow spectrum of movie interest!

daripad

Transformers was boring. Most of the lines were stupid and the acting was horrible. To make it worse it didn't have any kind of eye candy, be it huge fights, destruction or men, all of those things were bad.

scarlet

I hate Frozen and don't get the hype, Tangled is the superior movie.

I loved Frozen, though the only song I still remember from it is ''Let it Go'', I still remember all the songs from The Little Mermaid and Beauty & The Beast, etc. I don't know if that's nostalgia or if their classic music is legitimately more catchy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom