• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT4| We're (still) Here! We're (still) Queer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
By the way you all should love Tune-Yards

I've gotten into (mild) arguments at work with one woman who sometimes wants to listen to tune yards and Joanna Newsom, whereas myself and others, we would rather stab ourselves in the ear before suffering through it. :)

click_zps8bfbf649.png

click the number to see the # of posts.

If you are on mobile GAF, go to Tools on the bottom of the page and there you'll see a Top Posters button. On desktop GAF, follow Achtius' instructions.

Thanks!

I was tied with Grizzo =P

Christopher

To me it's an accent. I sense a North-eastern USA one; sort of New York-y or maybe Boston?

Actually, when I first heard it, I thought of the agent with the glasses from Heavy Rain :p

right on the money New York, I thought only Brooklyn people had accents haha.

Don't need this thread anymore. I've discovered the Third Way.

Best way ever. Exactly the same as this one, minus one right that we have. Great! Absolutely 100% beneficial to us. I'm leaving you pathetic nonbelievers. Fuckity bye.

And that's only the second most stupid Bible-related thing I've seen on GAF today.

What's the other one?

The 21st Cenutry Holy Bible! It's hilarious, apparently! Because who gives a shit about homophobia, transphobia, and racism~ As long as it's funny!

I will admit, the thread itself is very funny. But the entire point of the thread isn't. At all.

The 21st Cenutry Holy Bible! It's hilarious, apparently! Because who gives a shit about homophobia, transphobia, and racism~ As long as it's funny!

I will admit, the thread itself is very funny. But the entire point of the thread isn't. At all.

Idk some offensive humor can be funny with the proper delivery or right mindset. But that particular poster has a very "13 year old who watches Family Guy and South Park and thinks they are very thought provoking/intelligent" sense of humor.

Idk some offensive humor can be funny with the proper delivery or right mindset. But that particular poster has a very "13 year old who watches Family Guy and South Park and thinks they are very thought provoking/intelligent" sense of humor.

Yup, indeed. Still, some offensive humour can be way too offensive, good or bad. I agree with what you're saying. But still, it's annoying when someone stupid thinks that they could make something as funny as South Park, when they can't.

There's stupid humour like South Park and Family Guy that can be funny.

And then there's ''humour'' like that guy's that's ''guys look I'm so fucking edgy!''. I knew a middle aged saddo like that.

Alrus

Family Guy is sorta transphobic and its depiction of gay characters is absolutely dreadful and offensive (like really really offensive to me, it makes me angry just thinking about it). To think that I liked that series at some point in my life. I find it so ironic that it portrays itself as this very liberal and progressive show.

I haven't watched South Park in a long time, but it was on a totally different level. It actually did satire pretty well.

Also that 21st Century Bible dude has some deep issue and skimming through it, it's rather dark and kills the enjoyment I had for that thread.

Kater

Banned
Family Guy is awfully transphobic and its depiction of gay characters is absolutely dreadful and offensive (like really really offensive to me, it makes me angry just thinking about it). To think that I liked that series at some point in my life. I find it so ironic that it portrays itself as this very liberal and progressive show.

Also that 21st Century Bible dude has some deep issue and skimming through it, it's rather dark and kills the enjoyment I had for that thread.

I agree with you on that. It makes it even worse that the creator of the show is a supporter of gay rights (and weren't there also rumors that he's gay himself?). He should know better.

Caladrius

Both genres are tightly related, yes :)

I just realized what CornBurrito was talking about and the song I chose is hilariously fitting.

The song's subtitle (and chorus) megszentségteleníthetetlenségeskedéseitekért is a Hungarian word translating very roughly as "due to you pretending to be indesecratable,"

Family Guy isn't offensive to me, because it makes fun out of absolutely everyone, and most of the time it makes fun of bigots IIRC. Haven't watched it in a while.

Caladrius

The Family guy episodes I think you're talking about that I remember didn't bug me up until I thought about them in more detail.

I dropped it in season 7. Things were getting wonky by season 5, but 7 drove me away.

Grizzo

Family Guy is sorta transphobic and its depiction of gay characters is absolutely dreadful and offensive (like really really offensive to me, it makes me angry just thinking about it). To think that I liked that series at some point in my life. I find it so ironic that it portrays itself as this very liberal and progressive show.

I haven't watched South Park in a long time, but it was on a totally different level. It actually did satire pretty well.

I just read the wiki page about the transphobic episode you're talking about and this struck me the most :

"Seth MacFarlane also defended Brian's vomiting after discovering he had sex with someone who had undergone sex re-assignment surgery noting Brian's character is heterosexual and "If I found out that I had slept with a transsexual, I might throw up in the same way that a gay guy looks at a vagina and goes, 'Oh, my God, that's disgusting.'"

what the fuck, I wouldn't be disgusted by a vagina and certainly would never vomit upon seeing one, that's such a dumb justification

I just read the wiki page about the transphobic episode you're talking about and this struck me the most :

"Seth MacFarlane also defended Brian's vomiting after discovering he had sex with someone who had undergone sex re-assignment surgery noting Brian's character is heterosexual and "If I found out that I had slept with a transsexual, I might throw up in the same way that a gay guy looks at a vagina and goes, 'Oh, my God, that's disgusting.'"

what the fuck, I wouldn't be disgusted by a vagina and certainly would never vomit upon seeing one, that's such a dumb justification

Woah, that is so fucked up. What the fuck is it with straight guys and speaking for gay people to try and justify their homophobic/transphobic shit?

Monocle

What the fuck is wrong with this guy?

RM8

Maybe I should care more, but stuff in shows like South Park or Family Guy doesn't really offend me. Particularly South Park, even if it has gotten progressively less crude and shock-humor-ish, it's still about poking fun at everything and everyone, and it's honestly one of my favorite shows :p I really don't feel offended by characters like Mr. Garrison or whatever.

Alrus

The episode which cemented my dislike of Family Guy due to the portrayal of gay people is the "Gay gene" episode. Peter gets some injection that turns him gay (lets forget that that's not how genetics work...) and it changes him completely, it turns him into a very stereotypical "fabulous" gay dude who's really good at baking, picking underwear for women, talks with a lisp, and does "limp wrist" gestures all the time. It irks me so much... It's like the writers thinks being gay is what define someone's entire being...

Also the episode features a gay rehabilitation camp where at some point the "gays" have to hit each other with nerf bats or something but instead it's implied they immediately use them in a giant orgy. And Gay Peter's biggest wish in the world is to have a ten man orgy... Because gay people are promiscuous and want to have sex all the time.

Oh, I didn't even know he said that. What a fucking awful thing to say, what the hell.

I'm not sure if it's the same episode but there's a moment where the trans character goes to eat at Peter's place and she brought something (I think it's some casserole or whatever), and Lois is like "Oooh, thank you" then whisper to Meg to go out back and throw the food in the garbage, like the food is somehow disgusting and dangerous... It's mind boggling how it was never called out much. Eww, Trans folks are gross I guess.

Fucking terrible show. American Dad is much better.

Maybe I should care more, but stuff in shows like South Park or Family Guy doesn't really offend me. Particularly South Park, even if it has gotten progressively less crude and shock-humor-ish, it's still about poking fun at everything and everyone, and it's honestly one of my favorite shows :p I really don't feel offended by characters like Mr. Garrison or whatever.

Comparing South Park to Family Guy is really insulting toward South Park I think, one show is actually clever and thoughtful about the way it mocks society most of the time.

I feel over the years South Park has become more and more a platform for the creators to espouse their intellectually lazy version of Libertarianism.

RM8

Comparing South Park to Family Guy is really insulting toward South Park I think, one show is actually clever and thoughtful about the way it mocks society most of the time.
Honestly, yes. Family Guy has always been incredibly try-hard and fail-hard in my eyes, I've never found it enjoyable.

Also South Park's take on "gay rehabilitation camps" is much better and it features GOAT character Butters :p

I feel over the years South Park has become more and more a platform for the creators to espouse their intellectually lazy version of Libertarianism.
While I still love it, I definitely prefer early South Park. It's a bit too "making fun of current events" focused these days.

Kater

Banned

Damn...
Seth McFarlane is a giant douche.

Honestly, yes. Family Guy has always been incredibly try-hard and fail-hard in my eyes, I've never found it enjoyable.

Also South Park's take on "gay rehabilitation camps" is much better and it features GOAT character Butters :p

While I still love it, I definitely prefer early South Park. It's a bit too "making fun of current events" focused these days.
That episode is so sweet. :)

Christopher

Try not to get offended about people who Dont even know you make commentary...everyone had an opinion , we Dont all have to agree. I'm only offended when people who KNOW me make comments.

For the most part, I've dropped nearly all episodes of Family Guy that aren't Stewie and Brian episodes. Those are usually the only ones I enjoy in full.
I don't even really like Family Guy anymore. Pre Cancelation Family Guy was pretty damn good IMO and it doesn't feel as try hard.
As far as the transphobic and homophobic parts of it, I'm not really phased by it because they seem to stereotype everyone on that show. IDK.

American Dad and Bob's Burgers have always been the better shows on the line up anyways.

Grizzo

Try not to get offended about people who Dont even know you make commentary...everyone had an opinion , we Dont all have to agree. I'm only offended when people who KNOW me make comments.

It's difficult to ignore them when all they seem to stigmatize and disparage an entire community. There's only so much shit we can bear to hear everyday. I feel like I've been hearing all sort of homophobic things all my life, but somehow I still manage to find myself acting surprised every time something as dumb as what MacFarlane said comes up.

Latch

What the hell...

Alrus

As far as the transphobic and homophobic parts of it, I'm not really phased by it because they seem to stereotype everyone on that show. IDK.

I don't think perpetuating negative stereotypes for laughs is excusable in any way. And the transphobic shit isn't even about stereotype, it's just "trans people are gross".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom