• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT4| We're (still) Here! We're (still) Queer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
using isolated examples doesn't really mean anything.

I mean I don't have to use an isolated example. There's a ton of studies demonstrating how difficult it is for older speakers to distinguish phonemes that aren't in their native language. With many never grasping the skill. I guess it can be possible for some, but for many it simply isn't. Or they can't do it reliably if they can even do it at all.

Yeah, I fear that this could be the case. I understand English perfectly but I probably will never really grasp all these eastern languages (like Japanese). Well, maybe I can learn Spanish or French, it's at least a lot more related to my own "mother" language unlike, for example, Japanese, which seems almost alien in comparison.

That's actually kind of why I'm interested in Japanese besides just being a general weaboo. There's just some really cool stuff with their writing system and figures of speech. And the way their grammar structure is just so different. I find it all very cool. Like, they don't say that somebody is tall. They say is stature is high And the same word is used to describe things as being expensive. Their whole way of thinking about the world has just gotta be so different.

daripad

Japanese, mang. Also, start right now.

Your posts make seem Japanese easy to learn for us, why?

I'm learning Japanese. Would be fun to have someone to practice with, especially someone who'd be at a similar level. Well technically I'd be at a slightly higher level since I've done 101 and 102. And will be doing 201 and 202 level in a month. But you'd catch up quickly and we could talk on Steam or something.

There's a lot of good resourced for Japanese. A thread on GAF, Tea Kim's guide, Genki.

Where should I start? And what is this 101, 102, 201, 202 stuff you're talking about?

Kater

Banned
I mean I don't have to use an isolated example. There's a ton of studies demonstrating how difficult it is for older speakers to distinguish phonemes that aren't in their native language. With many never grasping the skill. I guess it can be possible for some, but for many it simply isn't. Or they can't do it reliably if they can even do it at all.

That's actually kind of why I'm interested in Japanese besides just being a general weaboo. There's just some really cool stuff with their writing system and figures of speech. And the way their grammar structure is just so different. I find it all very cool. Like, they don't say that somebody is tall. They say is stature is high And the same word is used to describe things as being expensive. Their whole way of thinking about the world has just gotta be so different.

This is probably also the reason why it's so difficult to translate Japanese into western languages. Because the differences in the understand and explanations for everything in the physical world (and the spiritual one too, different state religions from the western countries in which there are most dominated by the catholic church and all that).

RM8

Your posts make seem Japanese easy to learn for us, why?
Not easy to learn, but we basically skip having to learn an entirely different set of sounds for the most part. We have identical vowel systems and our consonants overlap a ton. English is exponentially more challenging for a native Spanish speaker in this aspect (but ONLY in this aspect, lol).

Kater

Banned

UGANDA_WINSX400.jpg

That's some positive news. I'm glad the people in Uganda won't be treated like shit (by law itself!) there anymore.

Edit:
[...]Human Rights First’s Shawn Gaylord[...]
Praise the Gaylord! :p

Rayis

I took Japanese like 2 years ago and I liked it a lot, I just didn't like writing kanji, I have horrible handwriting and the stroke order kills me.

Took two semesters of Japanese in college. Forget just about all of it, but I eventually want to pick it up again. At some point, I mean to travel to Japan.

royalan

Quick advice.

It's my roommate's birthday today, and we're all going to go out to brunch to celebrate.

However, my roommate neglected to tell me that her homophobic friend and his wife are coming to the brunch. This dude is SERIOUSLY homophobic. Like, won't say hello to me if we're in the same room together, overheard him talking about how he just doesn't talk to gay dudes type of homophobic. It's gotten to the point where I've asked my roommate not to invite him over when I'm home, because he makes me uncomfortable and nervous.

Anyway, they weren't supposed to be coming, but now they are. And we're all sitting in the living room waiting for everyone else to show up so we can go. And he's talking around me and pretending like I'm not here to the point where it's awkward and uncomfortable. At least for me.

So I really don't want to go to this brunch.

But it's my roommate's birthday.

Am I an asshole if I don't go?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
No. If your roommate is a decent person, he'll understand that that guy makes you feel uncomfortable and there's no sense in putting you through that experience just to have you at his birthday party. So ask if you can skip.

Offer to take him out to a belated birthday celebration just between the two of you to make up for it.

royalan

No. If your roommate is a decent person, he'll understand that that guy makes you feel uncomfortable and there's no sense in putting you through that experience just to have you at his birthday party. So ask if you can skip.

Offer to take him out to a belated birthday celebration just between the two of you to make up for it.

Roommate's a she. Thanks for your input, though. :)

To be fair, my roommate kinda knows that he's an asshole about this. But he's a childhood friend of hers, so I generally just try to avoid him to keep it from being an issue. But today she seems to be doing this whole "if I refuse to acknowledge this awkwardness maybe it'll go away," thing and usually I would be down with that (it's not like I've never been in a situation where I've had to be social with someone I didn't like), but HE'S making no effort.

I said hello to him and his wife when they walked into the house, and they just walked right by me.

lol honestly, if someone was ghosting me to my face for race/sexuality reasons, I would be a complete and utter trolly cunt to them just to wind them up; sit next to him at the table, ask him how his day was, you name it.

it's also kind of lame of your friend to basically pretend this dude isn't a giant asshole about this and coddles their behavior. nevermind that homophobia is just gross, it's completely juvenile to act that way as an adult for any reason.

Rayis

I'd personally go but avoid all interactions with him, let it be known you're only going because of your roommate and whatever shit that asshole thinks of you doesn't affect you and act cool and unbothered, though I'd also have a serious talk with your friend about the fact his homophobia makes you very uncomfortable and you'd appreciate him not being around when you're with her.

jdforge

Banned
Coincidently I will be in Manchester (UK) at the end of the month and be able to go to Manchester Pride. It will be the first time I've been to anything like this, so I've no idea what to expect.

But with it being Manchester, I'm sure it's a pretty big deal?

Well, I don't have any Japanese friends or relatives and no teacher or school where I could at least learn the basics from unlike in the case of me learning English. It's probably still doable but the results would probably not as good as for someone who learned it at an earlier stage of his or her life.

I'm studying a Japanese degree, the stuff we studied in Semester 1 and 2 (year one) was all of Genki 1 and Genki 2, including the work books for both (all grammar, all vocab (I recommend a flashcard program such as Anki, or Quizlet website for memorizing this) and all of the kanji, plus the reading exercises). The kanji added to around 350 in all, based on the Genki textbooks, and I'd recommend this book for kanji memorizing. The Genki website also has some great listening activities I'd recommend too. Sure it's not quite the same as having a native Japanese tutor, but if you can find these books and whatnot for cheap then they're an 'academic' introduction to Japanese. Good luck!

Coincidently I will be in Manchester (UK) at the end of the month and be able to go to Manchester Pride. It will be the first time I've been to anything like this, so I've no idea what to expect.

But with it being Manchester, I'm sure it's a pretty big deal?
Yep, here in Manchester, Pride is a big deal, so expect to see certain streets packed out for the duration (the gay village is actually barricaded off from general public, only pass holders get through) and all of the pubs/clubs will be full, so there'll be plenty of opportunities to meet lots of new people.

VegiHam

Manchester is pretty nice but I've never visited the gay village there

I had my first date in manchester it was terrible

I live a short train ride away from Manchester and I've still not been there on a night out. I feel so lazy.

I'm nosy tell me about the horrible date

Kater

Banned
I'm studying a Japanese degree, the stuff we studied in Semester 1 and 2 (year one) was all of Genki 1 and Genki 2, including the work books for both (all grammar, all vocab (I recommend a flashcard program such as Anki, or Quizlet website for memorizing this) and all of the kanji, plus the reading exercises). The kanji added to around 350 in all, based on the Genki textbooks, and I'd recommend this book for kanji memorizing. The Genki website also has some great listening activities I'd recommend too. Sure it's not quite the same as having a native Japanese tutor, but if you can find these books and whatnot for cheap then they're an 'academic' introduction to Japanese. Good luck!

Yep, here in Manchester, Pride is a big deal, so expect to see certain streets packed out for the duration (the gay village is actually barricaded off from general public, only pass holders get through) and all of the pubs/clubs will be full, so there'll be plenty of opportunities to meet lots of new people.

Hey, thank you for the links! I will not give up the idea of learning Japanese but I have some other worries at the moment, so it has to wait for a whole while (troubles at work and in my personal life). I'll try to get those books though, depending on if I have to import them, sooner rather than later.

Vitanimus

I live a short train ride away from Manchester and I've still not been there on a night out. I feel so lazy.

I'm nosy tell me about the horrible date

oh god I was just so awkward and terrible! I think I was 16 at the time and I guess relatively new to my ~sexuality and I met up with this guy in Manchester after he finished work and we just kinda walked around the city centre for a bit before we sat down in some random park. And then he was like, "I really wanna kiss you right now" and I was like "wot" and basically rejected him so awkwardly lmao

Then we went to the cinema to see Bad Teacher and started leaning against my arm in that semi romantic way and I just did nothing! We parted ways after that and never spoke again

God remembering it is so embarrassing purely because of how socially awkward I was back then.... oh well

VegiHam

oh god I was just so awkward and terrible! I think I was 16 at the time and I guess relatively new to my ~sexuality and I met up with this guy in Manchester after he finished work and we just kinda walked around the city centre for a bit before we sat down in some random park. And then he was like, "I really wanna kiss you right now" and I was like "wot" and basically rejected him so awkwardly lmao

Then we went to the cinema to see Bad Teacher and started leaning against my arm in that semi romantic way and I just did nothing! We parted ways after that and never spoke again

God remembering it is so embarrassing purely because of how socially awkward I was back then.... oh well

Well at least you got an entertaining film out of it? I mean, it doesn't sound like a great time but don't be too embarrassed; there's a lot of ways it could've gone worse.

That said, love the 'wot'. Like 'oh wow I had no idea this could happen and I am totally stunned'? 16 year olds are kinda dumb I guess. I know I was
it was pretty recently.
Never spoke again? That's understandable. Hope he wasn't like a super ~~~~amaaaaaazing dude you let slip away.

...he probably wasn't

I'm laughing about it right now but it could turn into such a mess I'm kind of scared tbh.

I'm quite sure you'll be fine. Your brother will think "Hey, my brother was looking at loads of hot guys on a website", followed by "Wait a minute, loads of hot guys? I find those guys hot? Am I gay!?", concluding with "I better not tell anybody or they'll think I'm gay, especially when my brother certainly has a valid explanation."

Seriously however, unless the page was covered in shirtless men fondling and/or kissing one another I'm quite sure he won't consider it as deeply as you are. Did he give any indication that he thought you were solely looking at the hot men? If not, I doubt he'd immediately jump to the idea that you are gay. If anything, your over-analysis of the situation, and potential awkwardness on your behalf following this situation around him, may make him consider the 'incident' more than he probably has. Unless he has another reason to believe you're gay, I don't think this will really do much to make him suspect it.

Vitanimus

Well at least you got an entertaining film out of it? I mean, it doesn't sound like a great time but don't be too embarrassed; there's a lot of ways it could've gone worse.

That said, love the 'wot'. Like 'oh wow I had no idea this could happen and I am totally stunned'? 16 year olds are kinda dumb I guess. I know I was
it was pretty recently.
Never spoke again? That's understandable. Hope he wasn't like a super ~~~~amaaaaaazing dude you let slip away.

...he probably wasn't

yah I suppose I can only laugh about it now, the silver lining being how much more confident I am now socially, although I'm pretty sure I'm somehow a closeted hetero going from "can't even kiss a guy without getting nervous" to "will kiss any girl when drunk"
rip_zpsec10ede9.gif

VegiHam

yah I suppose I can only laugh about it now, the silver lining being how much more confident I am now socially, although I'm pretty sure I'm somehow a closeted hetero going from "can't even kiss a guy without getting nervous" to "will kiss any girl when drunk"
rip_zpsec10ede9.gif

Nah dude, if you were hetro you'd be nervous about girls and confidently kissing your mates while drunk 'as a joke'. Duh. I used to be way less confident then I am now too; so there's a lot of stuff I have to laugh looking back at, or I'd cry, yaknow?

royalan

lol honestly, if someone was ghosting me to my face for race/sexuality reasons, I would be a complete and utter trolly cunt to them just to wind them up; sit next to him at the table, ask him how his day was, you name it.

it's also kind of lame of your friend to basically pretend this dude isn't a giant asshole about this and coddles their behavior. nevermind that homophobia is just gross, it's completely juvenile to act that way as an adult for any reason.

But freenudemacusers, I'm really a shy, gentle soul...

I'd personally go but avoid all interactions with him, let it be known you're only going because of your roommate and whatever shit that asshole thinks of you doesn't affect you and act cool and unbothered, though I'd also have a serious talk with your friend about the fact his homophobia makes you very uncomfortable and you'd appreciate him not being around when you're with her.

She usually does avoid bringing him around when I'm home. I tried to be cordial, but when I overheard him talking about how he doesn't like gay dudes, in my house, I told her it was bad enough he was there at all, but as friends I'd appreciate it if she avoided having him around me. She agreed. Today was just weird.

Anyway, I ended up not going. I'm going to bring her lunch tomorrow to make up for it.

I'm quite sure you'll be fine. Your brother will think "Hey, my brother was looking at loads of hot guys on a website", followed by "Wait a minute, loads of hot guys? I find those guys hot? Am I gay!?", concluding with "I better not tell anybody or they'll think I'm gay, especially when my brother certainly has a valid explanation."

Seriously however, unless the page was covered in shirtless men fondling and/or kissing one another I'm quite sure he won't consider it as deeply as you are. Did he give any indication that he thought you were solely looking at the hot men? If not, I doubt he'd immediately jump to the idea that you are gay. If anything, your over-analysis of the situation, and potential awkwardness on your behalf following this situation around him, may make him consider the 'incident' more than he probably has. Unless he has another reason to believe you're gay, I don't think this will really do much to make him suspect it.
Well.. I think liking Lana Del Rey might be reason enough, I think it just confirmed his suspicions or something. I'm kind of over it but it still feels a little embarrassing, it's not that big deal anyway because it's not like I'm close to him as I am with my Sister.

Kater

Banned
Is liking Lana's music (or Pop music in general, especially though Power women like Gaga, Beyonce and Rihanna) (when you are a guy) a sign that you are gay?

Or is it just another stupid cliché that mostly heterosexual people spread word of? (~)

But freenudemacusers, I'm really a shy, gentle soul...

She usually does avoid bringing him around when I'm home. I tried to be cordial, but when I overheard him talking about how he doesn't like gay dudes, in my house, I told her it was bad enough he was there at all, but as friends I'd appreciate it if she avoided having him around me. She agreed. Today was just weird.

Anyway, I ended up not going. I'm going to bring her lunch tomorrow to make up for it.

I think thats good. You dont need to tolerate that nonsense, and as tempting as it would be (at least to me) trolling him or trying to get him to not continue his nonsense, it is not worth your time of energy, especially on your roommates birthday that she in the end invited. I assume you guys are too grown to do that nonsense on your roommates birthday, even though he is way too grown to be acting like a dick ignoring you in the first place. Maybe for another time, but not on her birthday.

But as a side note if he's coming into you and her place, he's got some damn nerve coming into your space and ignoring you to wills end cause he cant get over his heterosexuality to have the at most minimal interaction to someone that is gay

HylianTom

Banned
Sports...ball???!!

Those don't sound like they have to do with high heels, glitter, or Sailor Moon!
...I'm confused :(

Aww yeah!

To give you an idea of the past two hours, HylianGreg has been yelling at the TV as though the cameraman can hear him..

"Number 27! Zoom in on him! Zoom! Look at dat ass!"

"Damn. The placekicker's pointing at 2 o'clock."

"Favor, babe? Do a google image search on that punter. It's 'Steve Weatherford'.."

So while we enjoy the game for the usual reasons, there are other motivations. :)

Caladrius

I kind of want to try out fencing.

My reaction time is terribad so I'd suck at it, but I've always had an interest in swordplay and the like.

Monocle

Is liking Lana's music (or Pop music in general, especially though Power women like Gaga, Beyonce and Rihanna) (when you are a guy) a sign that you are gay?

Or is it just another stupid cliché that mostly heterosexual people spread word of? (~)
I'd say a sign that you're gay is that men give you boners and you'd like to make out with them and have relationships and stuff. In my personal opinion.

But seriously, the pop music thing is just a stupid cliche that focuses on a very specific group of flamboyant gay men with stereotypically gay interests and completely ignores the fact that gay people are people, and people are very diverse. With this in mind, it shouldn't be surprising that some straight men like pop music, some gay women like pop music, some macho gay men like pop music, and plenty of people of every gender and orientation do not.

(I hope that was a serious post because I totally just answered it super srsly.)

Ties

Banned
I'd say a sign that you're gay is that men give you boners and you'd like to make out with them and have relationships and stuff. In my personal opinion.

But seriously, the pop music thing is just a stupid cliche that focuses on a very specific group of flamboyant gay men with stereotypically gay interests and completely ignores the fact that gay people are people, and people are very diverse. With this in mind, it shouldn't be surprising that some straight men like pop music, some gay women like pop music, some macho gay men like pop music, and plenty of people of every gender and orientation do not.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rihannaapplauseclappingclapsmileapplause.gif

RM8

I'll be honest, I don't know a straight guy that is a big fan of pop acts like Britney Spears or Lady Gaga. Not that it means anything, but in my experience it does seem to happen less often. And I guess there's a reason why they become "gay icons" even though a straight woman being an icon for gay men doesn't make a ton of sense to me, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom