• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT4| We're (still) Here! We're (still) Queer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know many homophobic people, fortunately.. But I can say with confidence that I have zero gay friends X___X I've been trying to fix it, but it's harder than it looks ;__;

I'm really sorry for the situation you're currently in!! :( I really wish homophobes weren't still a thing by now :(

Eh, I'm largely OK! Just a bit annoyed, is all. And change is swift. Positive change is slow. No wonder homophobia exists. Slow people make slow changes!

Still got friends who're OK enough, though. They don't treat my sexuality as a personality trait, unlike most people. A pity that they're all straight, though. At least 2 of them are rather dashing~

Kater

Banned
Aww!! Well if it makes you feel better... Public speaking terrifies me wayyyy more than singing live! :( haha! My hands shake and I start to sweat wahhhh x____X!

I know that too. I can hide it sufficiently enough though, nobody has ever mentioned that I acted like the introvert that I am. To them I appear like a total extrovert, heh... Σ(゜)

Eh, I'm largely OK! Just a bit annoyed, is all. And change is swift. Positive change is slow. No wonder homophobia exists. Slow people make slow changes!

Still got friends who're OK enough, though. They don't treat my sexuality as a personality trait, unlike most people. A pity that they're all straight, though. At least 2 of them are rather dashing~
Maybe there are some bi-curious people among them and you just don't know it... (¬¬)

RM8

Walk... of shame?

Wikipedia said:
The walk of shame refers to a situation in which a person must walk past strangers or peers alone for an embarrassing reason before reaching a place of privacy. It often occurs the morning after a night out at a bar, nightclub, or party. People undertaking the walk of shame are understood to have spent the night at the residence of a sexual partner (or perceived sexual partner), particularly a one-night stand.

Weird.

Kater

Banned
Yeah, but that'd be clutching at straws, sadly. I hope so, but I doubt it. :c

Even if there are no LGBT persons in your circle of friends as of now, there's always the option to meet some at a store, a bar or a pride parade if there is one near you.

sup folks

image.php

Watching One Piece, I'm at Episode 611 at the moment.

tumblr_m1adpcVVDY1r2h46fo1_500.gif

8lY0XwV.gif

I like the plot and the manservice, keeps the series alive for me.
Can't believe that I'm following this series for 10 years already... ⊙▂⊙

It's a ritual performed by robot cultists for penance.

In all seriousness I've never, ever seen this used before. Might be outdated slang.

Probably has fallen a bit out of use as sex isn't seen as shameful as it used to in the past? Maybe? Your mileage may vary.

Even if there are no LGBT persons in your circle of friends as of now, there's always the option to meet some at a store, a bar or a pride parade if there is one near you.

image.php

Watching One Piece, I'm at Episode 611 at the moment.

tumblr_m1adpcVVDY1r2h46fo1_500.gif

8lY0XwV.gif

I like the plot and the manservice, keeps the series alive for me.
Can't believe that I'm following this series for 10 years already... ⊙▂⊙
Zoro is so hot tbh

Grizzo

Gnight bae!! <3

Thanks BB! Glad to have you back in this thread :)

Wow gorgeous view. You live in Paris?
Night.

Yes I do!

Paris is a beautiful city, hope I can follow through with my own plans and make a trip to that city next year.

Hit me up when you get there, maybe we could meet up sometime!

Thanks for sharing the photo, it's beautiful *.*

No problem! I just love it when the sky turns pink around the break of dawn, it's so dreamy!

I could be completely wrong and off-base about this... but this reads as a lose lose situation where she is fishing for a response that she can use to manipulate the situation.

On the other hand, you could always say, "Mom would you go to therapy with me? I think I need help finding balance in my life and would appreciate your company.". Or is she too smart to be fooled by something like this?

The latter suggestion wouldn't work (she is too smart for that), the former is actually an interesting thought, particularly given that she wants a written, and not verbal, response, making it perfect to use in a justification to relatives.

What would work better than a therapy for your mother alone would probably be family therapy.But I don't know the whole picture so it's just a wild guess.
Neither parent would agree with family therapy, and anything said inside of family therapy would quickly be reported to relatives through them. This would not happen.

I almost feel as if taking the passive "I'm finding myself and have a lot of new responsibilities to worry about" approach might be best until you can get to a point where you're self sufficient. Otherwise it might end up being the catalyst you're trying to prevent.

Well, I had intended to write up a few responses,and post some here to see what people think would be the most tactful way to handle the situation, taking the advice to go for a passive approach, and then she began berating my brother and citing his selfishness for refusing to babysit for my aunt, and how it makes her look bad and is disrespectful towards her (Ethel), while simultaneously keeping in mind the possibility that given that she wants a written response so I have instead decided to become another NeoGAF user who ignores the correct advice given to him in favour of a catastrophicly bad, emotional response that refuses to give her the peace of mind she wants, even if it certainly won't change anything about her. I saved the draft here if any feedback wishes to be given (I would appreciate some even if it's "Holy shit don't send that you damn lunatic") as I haven't yet sent the reply (I've been working) and will do so tomorrow evening if I have not ended up calming down. Thank you all for the assistance.

EDIT: Oh and welcome back BlueBadger.

Ahhhhhh no I haven't yet!!! I want to soooo badly but I'm still trying to figure out how! LOLLL! Apparently I have to buy a flashcard and do something with it?! LOLLL!!

A flashcard is not necessary if you are willing to play it on an emulator. But if you wish to play it on your DS/3DS (like I did), then yes, you do need it.

I can help you with the process if you want. ^_^

Kater

Banned
Zoro is so hot tbh

Law is hotter and sanji is cute too.
Agree with both of you. The ones you named plus Smoker are and Eustass are the cuties of the show.
Some fanart because why not. :p
Hope it contains nothing that is against the rules. D:
Hit me up when you get there, maybe we could meet up sometime!
I will let you know when I have fix plans then! :D
Neither parent would agree with family therapy, and anything said inside of family therapy would quickly be reported to relatives through them. This would not happen.
Definitely?

Well, as I said, I don't know the whole background so I can't really tell you what to do. Keep us updated anyway as far as you want to though, maybe we can get you some help in figuring out how to deal with your situation at home. :)

mantidor

Do people really not know about the walk of shame? I've even seen it mentioned in several movies and sitcoms from thevUS, I don't believe you people.

My favorite thing right now is CHVRCHES. Can't wait until their next album.
The new Coldplay album is quite good too.
I'm also into a little band by the name of Little Dragon.
Chiptunes are awesome too.- My favorite group doing that is called Starship Amazing. All of their EPs/Albums are fantastic.
What are you guys listening to?

Vitanimus

My favorite thing right now is CHVRCHES. Can't wait until their next album.
The new Coldplay album is quite good too.
I'm also into a little band by the name of Little Dragon.
Chiptunes are awesome too.- My favorite group doing that is called Starship Amazing. All of their EPs/Albums are fantastic.
What are you guys listening to?

oooh I couldn't really get into CHVRVHES despite all their acclaim, something about their sound was just too harsh for me

I think I've noticed a trend over the recent months that I tend towards much more mellow music compared to say my 17 year old self

I'm listening to a LOT of St Vincent at the moment and I'm still amazed that it's taken my so long to even notice her considering the quality of all her records

Law is hotter and sanji is cute too.
Not with that hat he's not
Agree with both of you. The ones you named plus Smoker are and Eustass are the cuties of the show.

Some fanart because why not. :p
Hope it contains nothing that is against the rules. D:

I will let you know when I have fix plans then! :D

Definitely?

Well, as I said, I don't know the whole background so I can't really tell you what to do. Keep us updated anyway as far as you want to though, maybe we can get you some help in figuring out how to deal with your situation at home. :)
I forgot how hot Smoker was, I loved how in the shitty 4Kids dub they removed his cigar so it looked like smoke came out of his mouth.

Everybody talks shit about Sia's 1000 Forms of Fear but I think it's amazing. Chandelier, Big Girls Cry, Elastic Heart, Free the Animal, and Fire Meet Gasoline are great.
Holy shit. Yeah. I've been listening to songs off of that album for a little while. I myself love Chandelier, Eye of the Needle and Elastic Heart. So gud.

Kater

Banned
Not with that hat he's not
Yeah, you're right, his hat is quite goofy looking.

I forgot how hot Smoker was, I loved how in the shitty 4Kids dub they removed his cigar so it looked like smoke came out of his mouth.
I don't like the dubbed version, neither the English nor the German version. I rather just watch it in Japanese with English or German Subtitles.

Oh, also one more cool
and hot
fanart

Holy shit. Yeah. I've been listening to songs off of that album for a little while. I myself love Chandelier, Eye of the Needle and Elastic Heart. So gud.
Yeah, she's great. I didn't think I would like anything by her other than Chandelier and I was wrong.

Yeah, you're right, his hat is quite goofy looking.

I don't like the dubbed version, neither the English nor the German version. I rather just watch it in Japanese with English or German Subtitles.

Oh, also one more cool
and hot
fanart
I like watching Dubbed more for some reason, not the 4Kids one but the Funimation (?) one, or is it Viz?

Law_Without_a_Hat.png

hes fuckng sexy without the hat.
That's waayy better, he's hot :p

Smoker (and Asuma) made be gay back in the day.

I mean, seriously.
Asuma was great, I was so sad when he died :(

Kater

Banned
Emporio_Ivankov%27s_Dancers.png

Probably one of the best episodes out of the 650 episodes of OP.

Had a good message too. Be who you are! or something like that... can't really remember Ivankovs words at the moment...

daripad

I have some bizarre and stupid goals for life but I would really like to accomplish them, I should work on them. I've been thinking a lot tonight lol

daripad

what are some of these goals?

1. Write a fantasy story, no matter how bad and short it is
2. Learn at least one difficult language (japanese, Chinese, whatever)
3. Have a boyfriend (or at least have sex) with a guy who fits my physical description of the perfect guy

There are several more, those are just the first three ones that came to mind :p

1. Write a fantasy story, no matter how bad and short it is
2. Learn at least one difficult language (japanese, Chinese, whatever)
3. Have a boyfriend (or at least have sex) with a guy who fits my physical description of the perfect guy

There are several more, those are just the first three ones that came to mind :p

I'm learning Japanese. Would be fun to have someone to practice with, especially someone who'd be at a similar level. Well technically I'd be at a slightly higher level since I've done 101 and 102. And will be doing 201 and 202 level in a month. But you'd catch up quickly and we could talk on Steam or something.

There's a lot of good resourced for Japanese. A thread on GAF, Tea Kim's guide, Genki.

Kater

Banned
Does anyone of you guys understand German?

(Translation: "Versteht irgendjemand unter euch Leuten hier die deutsche Sprache?") :p

I would also like to learn Japanese but feel like that ship sailed long ago. Should have went to a higher school or something. ( p_q)

RM8

Adults learn difficult languages all the time. It might not be as easy as going for the closest language to your own, but it's definitely not impossible if you really want it.

Some people are just good at languages.

Also a lot easier if you start young. I think it is generally accepted that if you start out bilingual or trilingual you can pick up new languages with incredible ease relative to us monolingual fucks.

Does anyone of you guys understand German?

(Translation: "Versteht irgendjemand unter euch Leuten hier die deutsche Sprache?") :p

I would also like to learn Japanese but feel like that ship sailed long ago. Should have went to a higher school or something. ( p_q)

I know English so I can kind of haphazardly guess what certain German words mean. But otherwise, nein. Nicht spricht deutsche.

Adults learn difficult languages all the time. It might not be as easy as going for the closest language to your own, but it's definitely not impossible if you really want it.

Depends on how badly you want to avoid a thick accent too. Past a certain age you're pretty much fucked in that regard. You literally become unable to distinguish certain phonemes that aren't in your language. I think it might be able to be overcome somewhat with practice, but my Japanese teacher has been living in the US for years and is married to an American. She says she still can't really distinguish between r/l and v/b sounds.

RM8

Depends on how badly you want to avoid a thick accent too. Past a certain age you're pretty much fucked in that regard. You literally become unable to distinguish certain phonemes that aren't in your language. I think it might be able to be overcome somewhat with practice, but my Japanese teacher has been living in the US for years and is married to an American. She says she still can't really distinguish between r/l and v/b sounds.
Those "blind spots" can be beaten, absolutely. I know Japanese people who started learning Spanish in their late 20s and are basically native level (because, well, it's either that or not being able to communicate over here). Learning to identify new sounds is indeed one of the most difficult aspects, but it's not impossible at all.

Also, native Japanese
and Spanish
speakers lost the language lottery because going from a language with few sounds to a language with lots of sounds is way more challenging than the other way around.

Those "blind spots" can be beaten, absolutely. I know Japanese people who started learning Spanish in their late 20s and are basically native level (because, well, it's either that or not being able to communicate over here). Learning to identify new sounds is indeed one of the most difficult aspects, but it's not impossible at all.

Also, native Japanese
and Spanish
speakers lost the language lottery because going from a language with few sounds to a language with lots of sounds is way more challenging than the other way around.

It is possible Japanese and Spanish simply have a lot of overlapping sounds, wheras Japanese and English dont?

I can't say that my teacher hasn't tried to get over that hump, what with living in American, marrying an American, and teaching Japanese to English speaking students at a University in the US.

RM8

It is possible Japanese and Spanish simply have a lot of overlapping sounds?.
They do share most of their sounds (basically, it's an advantage being Japanese and trying to learn Spanish sound-wise, and the other way around), but I was talking about the L/R thing which we also have, plus rolling Rs and Ñ :p

The thing is, when you're learning to hear and pronounce new sounds you're not simply memorizing stuff. You're physically challenging your ears and facial muscles, forcing them to do new stuff. It's hard indeed, but again, not impossible. Some people can't learn the sounds of their own languages, lol, so using isolated examples doesn't really mean anything.

Kater

Banned
Well, I don't have any Japanese friends or relatives and no teacher or school where I could at least learn the basics from unlike in the case of me learning English. It's probably still doable but the results would probably not as good as for someone who learned it at an earlier stage of his or her life.
Also a lot easier if you start young. I think it is generally accepted that if you start out bilingual or trilingual you can pick up new languages with incredible ease relative to us monolingual fucks.

I know English so I can kind of haphazardly guess what certain German words mean. But otherwise, nein. Nicht spricht deutsche.

Addressing the bolded: LOL Multilingual fucks

tumblr_mbl3xqI6tj1reacvfo1_500.gif

Yeah, I fear that this could be the case. I understand English perfectly but I probably will never really grasp all these eastern languages (like Japanese). Well, maybe I can learn Spanish or French, it's at least a lot more related to my own "mother" language unlike, for example, Japanese, which seems almost alien in comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom