• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT4| We're (still) Here! We're (still) Queer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ties

Banned
i know of a couple after browsing some of my friend's iPods

they simply aren't as open about it because it emasculates them in the eyes of other people i guess

I'll be honest, I don't know a straight guy that is a big fan of pop acts like Britney Spears or Lady Gaga. Not that it means anything, but in my experience it does seem to happen less often. And I guess there's a reason why they become "gay icons" even though a straight woman being an icon for gay men doesn't make a ton of sense to me, lol.
I think Lady Gaga is bisexual so there's that.

_Isaac

i know of a couple after browsing some of my friend's iPods

they simply aren't as open about it because it emasculates them in the eyes of other people i guess

I noticed my straight work friend and some his Rdio friends were all listening to Kesha at the same time. Maybe she's a "straight icon".

Monocle

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rihannaapplauseclappingclapsmileapplause.gif
<3

No I mean sticking it up the urethra.
Yeah, like Aarglefarg said, that's sounding. Or as it's known colloquially, "Oh my god oh no why did we try this oh fuck fuck FUCK AAAAAAAAHHH FUCK GET IT OUT GET IT OOOOOOOOOOOUT!"

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Is liking Lana's music (or Pop music in general, especially though Power women like Gaga, Beyonce and Rihanna) (when you are a guy) a sign that you are gay?

Or is it just another stupid cliché that mostly heterosexual people spread word of? &#65288;&#65289;
Pop music is definitely a sign of gayness for men. That is the law.

yep&#65374;&#65374;&#65374;

Aww yeah!

To give you an idea of the past two hours, HylianGreg has been yelling at the TV as though the cameraman can hear him..

"Number 27! Zoom in on him! Zoom! Look at dat ass!"

"Damn. The placekicker's pointing at 2 o'clock."

"Favor, babe? Do a google image search on that punter. It's 'Steve Weatherford'.."

So while we enjoy the game for the usual reasons, there are other motivations. :)

lol
grrrl, you're a straight man's worst nightmare.

And I guess there's a reason why they become "gay icons" even though a straight woman being an icon for gay men doesn't make a ton of sense to me, lol.

I guess in a post-Castro Clone era it doesn't really make much sense how worshiping hyper feminine straight girls became embedded into queer male culture. However, I assume it's because a lot of queer boys (even if they don't want to admit it) identify with femininity in some way and beautiful/powerful straight girls who happen to have a large influential presence in entertainment media make pretty great surrogate gay role models in a lot of ways.
:p

I dunno. When it comes to role models for gay men, I would think that gay male celebrities (e.g., Anderson Cooper) would be more relatable, but that's just me.

Ties

Banned
they arent role models i just like their music

also they typically do a lot for the community

madonna for example

A flashcard is not necessary if you are willing to play it on an emulator. But if you wish to play it on your DS/3DS (like I did), then yes, you do need it.

I can help you with the process if you want. ^_^

Really?!?! Could you?! That would be amazing!!! <333 thank you so much!!

Sorry I haven't posted in a couple days, GayGAF!! It was pride here this weekend and I actually went out and saw the parade and stuff this year! LOL! :). How is everyone?!

I dunno.
It doesn't seem like that much of a stretch to identify with straight women, especially if they happen to do cool things that you're into.
I've never had a hard time doing it myself.
I can easily see how a beautiful person who happens to like men, respects LGBT-people, and rose above the hurdles of our straight/cis male dominated society could be respected/revered by gay/bi boys.

Grakl

I typically don't like pop singers of either gender, but there are definitely some female singers/groups that I love (Cibo Matto, Janelle Monae, Tune-yards). Since most rappers are male, though, I usually listen to more male stuff.

Ties

Banned
well monae and cibo matto are awesome so i'll check tune-yard out

i consider monae to be somewhat of a pop icon though, esp with her latest release

Yeah, like Aarglefarg said, that's sounding. Or as it's known colloquially, "Oh my god oh no why did we try this oh fuck fuck FUCK AAAAAAAAHHH FUCK GET IT OUT GET IT OOOOOOOOOOOUT!"

I don't think any of you got the fact that I was making a joke.

I asked if it (sword fighting) was sticking your entire penis inside another person's penis. Sticking something inside the penis isn't sounding as someone else said. Nor is it sounding, because I'm almost certain it is impossible to actually fit another person's penis inside your urethra.

Kater

Banned
Did I win something?
:(

I'd say a sign that you're gay is that men give you boners and you'd like to make out with them and have relationships and stuff. In my personal opinion.

But seriously, the pop music thing is just a stupid cliche that focuses on a very specific group of flamboyant gay men with stereotypically gay interests and completely ignores the fact that gay people are people, and people are very diverse. With this in mind, it shouldn't be surprising that some straight men like pop music, some gay women like pop music, some macho gay men like pop music, and plenty of people of every gender and orientation do not.

(I hope that was a serious post because I totally just answered it super srsly.)
Super srzrly! ;)

You see it the same way I do.
Aww yeah!

To give you an idea of the past two hours, HylianGreg has been yelling at the TV as though the cameraman can hear him..

"Number 27! Zoom in on him! Zoom! Look at dat ass!"

"Damn. The placekicker's pointing at 2 o'clock."

"Favor, babe? Do a google image search on that punter. It's 'Steve Weatherford'.."

So while we enjoy the game for the usual reasons, there are other motivations. :)

Sounds as enthusiastic as my father when watching football, though not for the same reasons. :D

Pop music is definitely a sign of gayness for men. That is the law.

yep&#65374;&#65374;

1371337491756.gif

HylianTom

Banned
Did I win something?
:(

Super srzrly! ;)

You see it the same way I do.

Sounds as enthusiastic as my father when watching football, though not for the same reasons. :D

1371337491756.gif

We still yell/talk about the usual gametime topics - penalties, official reviews, playcalling, etc - there's the added dimension of guy-watching that makes it the perfect pasttime. That, and my mom and other female relatives now loooove watching football with us. :)

As far as pop music goes, I have become utterly clueless on who's popular these days. I honestly couldn't tell Rihanna or Beyonce or one of the Kardashians apart. They're mainly names I hear in passing, or in thread titles around here. I got Weird Al's album last week and didn't know most of the songs he was parodying; I hadn't heard "Royals" or "Fancy," and mainly knew "Happy" and "Blurred Lines" from hearing them during games at the Superdome. (This is where listening to a strict diet of NPR and sports radio has taken its toll, I guess.)

I just quit caring about five years ago for some reason.

Now when it comes to pop culture from 1950 to 2000.. you might want me on your trivia team. My Saturday night this past weekend was us watching old TV (classic Batman), followed by an old movie (Around the World in 80 Days) - and I was shouting-out the old stars' names as they appeared. Good times!

We still yell/talk about the usual gametime topics - penalties, official reviews, playcalling, etc - there's the added dimension of guy-watching that makes it the perfect pasttime. That, and my mom and other female relatives now loooove watching football with us. :)

As far as pop music goes, I have become utterly clueless on who's popular these days. I honestly couldn't tell Rihanna or Beyonce or one of the Kardashians apart. They're mainly names I hear in passing, or in thread titles around here. I got Weird Al's album last week and didn't know most of the songs he was parodying; I hadn't heard "Royals" or "Fancy," and mainly knew "Happy" and "Blurred Lines" from hearing them during games at the Superdome. (This is where listening to a strict diet of NPR and sports radio has taken its toll, I guess.)

Now when it comes to pop culture from 1950 to 2000.. you might want me on your trivia team. My Saturday night this past weekend was us watching old TV (classic Batman), followed by an old movie (Around the World in 80 Days) - and I was shouting-out the old stars' names as they appeared. Good times!

Finally! Someone else with good TV and movie tastes. About time! I feel so alone in this modern age... :c

You guys talking about the sportsball in here?
I just got into Football a few years ago. It's really fun to watch and there's a crap ton of tension all the time between reviews and 2 point conversions and such.

Is this a YouTube comment parody

yeah, I'm only 1.3 years old and I like these types of posts anyway. Everyone else I know only likes modern posts but I like these ones which aren't crap at all unlike modern posts

Are you impressed by me yet? Just say it, I'm a prodigy.

HylianTom

Banned
Finally! Someone else with good TV and movie tastes. About time! I feel so alone in this modern age... :c

Thanks!

I do feel a bit out of touch, but can't judge too harshly on taste. I'm sure I'm missing some phenomenal new stuff out there.

You guys talking about the sportsball in here?
I just got into Football a few years ago. It's really fun to watch and there's a crap ton of tension all the time between reviews and 2 point conversions and such.

You aren't kidding - my blood pressure fluctuates wildly every week! :p

There was a home game last year where the refs seemed to be screwing us over with bad review after bad review, it was a tense/close game, the crowd was getting angry, and finally something beautiful happened: the guy controlling the giant video screens in the Dome put on that famous clip from "Network" where Howard Beale yells his classic "I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!" line. A ton of us in the crowd yelled it along with the actor, causing the crowd to crack-up laughing.. really good, unexpected tension relief.

Kater

Banned

You two sound like a loveable duo! :D

Ah, you are probably talking about American Football, right?
Not the more famous sport, soccer, who is also called football here in Europe, right? Got it confused again. (-_-*)°\

And while I don't share your musical tastes mostly I love all old series and movies.

RM8

I dunno. When it comes to role models for gay men, I would think that gay male celebrities (e.g., Anderson Cooper) would be more relatable, but that's just me.
Same. Not that I think we need a public ambassador or anything, to be honest. Precisely because (as said by Monocle) we're people, and we're diverse, and one person (or one kind of person - like pop singers) can't possibly represent everyone.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
(a small interruption: football is back! Woooooo!)

Carry on.. :)

(sorry)

yawn

wake me up when they decide to play naked

or something

im just trying to think of anything that could get me interested in sports

maybe break up the monotony of the game with spontaneous interpretive dance

idk im just spitballing here

Thanks!

I do feel a bit out of touch, but can't judge too harshly on taste. I'm sure I'm missing some phenomenal new stuff out there.

Eh, there is good modern stuff, just as there is also bad classic stuff (A-la John Wayne as Genghis Khan). It just mostly gets filtered out over the years.

On an unrelated note, here is a rather nice, pretty, rare instance of rainless weather in Ireland I saw earlier (Fucking Imgur compression, sorry):

Bpzpm9Sh.jpg

Kater

Banned
It's not even out here in the cinemas. Have to wait until 27th. Damn, thought they would air that movie at the same time here.

VegiHam

Guys in my quest to stop being kinda tubby I walked 26 miles today. It's not really a marathon cus I wasn't running and I took breaks, but still. So, I wan't to know: what's the furthest other people can go? I need a new goal to aspire to.

daripad

Really went to see the raccoon but it was so incredibly great..

My cousin went for the same reason, but she ended having more fun than me. She loved the movie and she wasn't really expecting it to be that good.

Guys in my quest to stop being kinda tubby

Tubby? I had forgotten about him, had to google lol I'm becoming Tubby again, sadly. I'm going to be part of that percentage of people that gains their weight back :/

Guys in my quest to stop being kinda tubby I walked 26 miles today. It's not really a marathon cus I wasn't running and I took breaks, but still. So, I wan't to know: what's the furthest other people can go? I need a new goal to aspire to.

That's a very impressive distance, even with breaks. While I walk occassionally, it's generally more goal-orientated (about 4.7km into town for work, and five or six hours later the same distance back) than doing it for excercise (swimming in a local pool and running about seven kilometres is the extent of my 'purposeful' excercise) and therefore would never end up remotely close to what you have walked, my suggestion would be, rather than aspire to how far others can go, to try and eliminate, or reduce, the amount of breaks you take and the duration of these breaks. Alternatively, if possible, you could try alternate between jogging and walking which, despite likely reducing the distance you can go for the first few times, would probably be more intensive excercise. At this point I should probably state that I've read very little on this subject, I could be completely incorrect as to how much of a benefit this would be, but it seems like a good way to 'step up' from what you're currently doing rather than merely adding on more kilometres. If you do want to increase the distance, given that you're at roughly 42km, the next 'step' seems to be to go to 50km (31 miles) or 56km (35 miles), by my only concern with constantly adding on more miles would be how long I imagine it must take you to walk such a substantial distance, and how it must consume such a sizeable portion of the day.

On an unrelated note, at episode twenty-five on "Monster" I'm enjoying it quite a lot (and can very much foresee myself finishing it short of a living situation development), particularly the pacing and moments when the story slows down with regard to the primary tale in order to further develop the world, themes, and tangential (or so they currently appear anyway) characters. I have enjoyed episode eighteen and episode twenty, in particular, due to this. One very minor thing that is irritating me incessantly is how they repeat the word "monster" or some variation constantly. I fear that by the end of the show I will never use that word, or variations, in speech ever again because of how heavily it's used in the dialogue, and how unnatural such a constant use, by various characters, of the word is. Everytime I hear it I can't help but think back to Arrested Development's "Hey! That's the name of the show!" joke. That niggle aside, I would very much recommend it to anybody else considering the show, at this stage. I can't really criticise it much at the moment given that I'm not yet finished and the story is still developing. Also, I'm watching it in Japanese with subtitles given that it's how it was intended, I assume, but I'm wondering what is the English dub? I probably won't watch it with the dub given that I've become accustomed to the Japanese voice actors (I must confess I do find it hard to determine the quality of the acting in this manner, particularly in relation to any nuance their performance provides, but they certainly sound competent anyway).

kirblar

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/storyline/wp/2014/08/04/the-black-hiv-epidemic-a-public-health-mystery-and-love-story-from-atlantas-gay-community/?hpid=z6

Ran across this just a few minutes ago in the Washington Post, and is probably own-thread-worthy, but not quite sure how to present it. It's a long-form piece about both life in Atlanta's gay black community and also about researchers trying to figure why there was such a gap between black/white infection rates. Really good piece, but very dense and hard to summarize, especially since it's got twin narratives, thought I'd throw it in here and hope someone else could figure out a good thread title for it. :p

Is liking Lana's music (or Pop music in general, especially though Power women like Gaga, Beyonce and Rihanna) (when you are a guy) a sign that you are gay?

Or is it just another stupid cliché that mostly heterosexual people spread word of? &#65288;&#65374;&#65289;

A late response:

Usually when men are interested in things that are seen as traditionally feminine (dance, showtunes, pop music), the thing most tend to think is that the man is gay. Because male homosexuality and femininity are often conflated. Which is why people mistakenly believe gay men are gay due to increased estrogen levels.

Interestingly enough, occupations that are traditionally held by females often command less pay and confer less social status. Feminists and sociologists tend to argue that this is because feminine traits are seen as less valuable by our culture. This might explain why gay men (but not gay women) are often the targets of extreme vitriol.

I'm sure Mumei or someone else could source you papers covering this in more detail. I'm 2lazy4that.

Because male homosexuality and femininity are often conflated.

Straight boys always look at me funny when I tell them that their are hetero crossdressers that genuinely enjoy expressing their femininity and rarely deal with men (sexually) outside of accepting compliments (you know, if they're passable/fishy); Hell even some gay/bi boys seem to have a hard time believing it, and often put straight in quotes when they talk about this group of individuals.
The conflation between effeminacy and homosexuality is "older than steam" (as tvtropes puts it); I don't think it's going to be something that goes away anytime soon.

I imagine that if we lived in a world where gay people (men and women) were a dominant minority effeminacy would probably be used as a stereotype for straight/bi guys as well (Hypothetical Gay Bigot:"Any man who wants to sleep with a women must be a pansy breeder wannabe-lesbo!")

kirblar

Straight boys always look at me funny when I tell them that their are hetero crossdressers that genuinely enjoy expressing their femininity and rarely deal with men (sexually) outside of accepting compliments (you know, if they're passable/fishy); Hell even some gay/bi boys seem to have a hard time believing it, and often put straight in quotes when they talk about this group of individuals.
The conflation between effeminacy and homosexuality is "older than steam" (as tvtropes puts it); I don't think it's going to be something that goes away anytime soon.

I imagine that if we lived in a world where gay people (men and women) were a dominant minority effeminacy would probably be used as a stereotype for straight/bi guys as well (Hypothetical Gay Bigot:"Any man who wants to sleep with a women must be a pansy breeder wannabe-lesbo!")
It'll never go away because the effeminate ones are the easy ones to spot.

Rayis

I wish effeminacy wasn't as shunned in the gay community though, like it or not, feminine gay people are a significant part of the community and it kinda rubs me the wrong way when people say they want no "stereotypical" gay characters in media, being feminine just comes natural to some, I want more strong feminine gay male role models.

Christopher

I wish effeminacy wasn't as shunned in the gay community though, like it or not, feminine gay people are a significant part of the community and it kinda rubs me the wrong way when people say they want no "stereotypical" gay characters in media, being feminine just comes natural to some, I want more strong feminine gay male role models.

When are they shunned?

When are they shunned?

Pretty often? Many people in my experience are uncomfortable with flamboyant men. Or to put it in the words of the 16 year olds when I was back at summer camp "I wouldn't have a problem with a gay dude that was like a normal person, but I really dislike flamers."

And because gay people just want to be accepted, some of us end up shunning very flamboyant gay men because we think they get in the way of people accepting gays.

Vitanimus

I feel kinda bad when I admit that super camp guys make me c r i n g e cos it kinda seems like society has ingrained that camp guys when feminine qualities are inherently seen as bad, whereas masculine qualities are more valued... or maybe I'm just over analyzing it. Either way, super camp guys = no from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom