• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT4| We're (still) Here! We're (still) Queer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kater

Banned
14 to 20 is a huge gap. I wouldn't have sex with a 14 year old and teenagers that age mostly aren't all that interesting to talk to anyway besides maybe video games talk.

ib2pWRihnbKuoX.png
LOL

I dreamt something about his Mii hitting on girls in a bar tonight. NeoGAF invades my dreams. (wth)

Anyone plan on getting Bravely Default? I just now finished up the demo and cannot be more hyped for it.

So excited for this since playing the Demo but do you think it'll ever come out on a console? I don't own a 3DS and I'm not much of a handheld gamer?

Guys, what would you say if I told you I'm dating a 14 year old boy? Is just a If, is not happening obviously.

Edit: He is 14 lol

That would never end well. Besides all the sexual implications which should be enough alone - I think you'd find the more time you spent with him that you'll find it harder and harder to relate to each other.

I just wouldn't.

Delio

So excited for this since playing the Demo but do you think it'll ever come out on a console? I don't own a 3DS and I'm not much of a handheld gamer?

I'm about positive it wont hit a console other than the 3DS. Phones MAYBE down the line considering SE's investments so if you'd rather play it there.

I guess I'll just have to borrow a 3ds and play it on there. Just means I won't be playing to for some time.

That demo was amazing though. The music was brilliant and the battle system reminded me of FF5 but better.

Yeah, I doubt it. Though, if you can manage at some point, I'd def grab a 3DS. There's tons of great stuff there and support seems to be consistent. The quality of the games library is starting to surpass the DS in my eyes, and I didn't think that was in the realm of possibility after its rocky launch.

beril

Well you learn something new every day, I thought age of concent was 14 in Mexico.

I don't think I could ever be attracted to a 14 year old though, not even when I was 14.

Really? I was always mostly attracted to people my own age as a kid, and I can remember having crushes on my classmates since at least fifth grade. Older guys were weird and scary back then. Then again, I'm still mostly a twink guy, maybe it's different if you're into bears

Oh god

I found a lump on one of my testicles. ohgodohgodohgodohgod :(

Make sure to keep us updated. It could be nothing but getting it checked out ASAP is a good idea. In 2012 I was diagnosed with testicular cancer and timing is really everything. Hopefully it's nothing, you probably just felt part of the epididymis.

mantidor

Really? I was always mostly attracted to people my own age as a kid, and I can remember having crushes on my classmates since at least fifth grade. Older guys were weird and scary back then. Then again, I'm still mostly a twink guy, maybe it's different if you're into bears

I am very into bears,but is not limited to just one type. I've discovered I have very varied tastes, thankfully, I can't afford to be picky heh

I mostly like people older than me, back in high school I had crushes on the seniors when I was 12, but I saw them much older than they really were, since they were just 16, however when I was a senior, 16 y/o looked like kids to me. Only now that I'm in my 30s I've been attracted to people younger than me, but it's rarely people younger than 25, certainly no one younger than 20.

Kater

Banned
Remembering back (8 years already, I'm now 22) I was more interested in some of the male teachers back then.
My classmates were all not worth my time because I felt I need someone grown up.
When I was around ten though I just fooled around with every classmate who wanted to.
Now I'm like when I was ten, just foolin around with guys of my age.

So I can kind of see why the teen wants something from daripad. He wants someone who is more experienced and since daripad is older and he thinks he likes him he wants to know him better.
Just my (uneducated) guess.

daripad

But what do I have that other guys around my age don't? I'm not atrractive and not even the outgoing kind of person, I'm very introverted when I don't know people. I wouldn't even consider myself a grown up adult at all. Oh well, I'm definitly going to ignore him but poor boy going for older people at his age.

In other news, I tried the Bravely Default demo and the enemies are hard and it was fun to play it, but I hate hate hate the artstyle.

But what do I have that other guys around my age don't? I'm not atrractive and not even the outgoing kind of person, I'm very introverted when I don't know people. I wouldn't even consider myself a grown up adult at all. Oh well, I'm definitly going to ignore him but poor boy going for older people at his age.

In other news, I tried the Bravely Default demo and the enemies are hard and it was fun to play it, but I hate hate hate the artstyle.

he may like you. or he may use you since you are at least 18 or look older?

and BD is awesome. those chibi style is awesome. CHIBI 4 lyfe

daripad

The enviroments look very good but they are too mature looking for the chibi style of the characters and it doesn't mix well.

Kater

Banned
He will find his way, don't you worry daripad! ;)

I'm very excited for Persona Q because it has a Chibi artstyle.
And it's one of the reasons why I love Bravely Default so much. (Chibi style on 2.5D environments <3)
Chibi is great.
If I was a influential Art Director I would advise any game maker to use that artstyle.
Chibi Halo, Chibi DmC, Chibi Pokemon, Chibi Counter-Strike;
Uh yeah.

Grizzo

Remembering back (8 years already, I'm now 22) I was more interested in some of the male teachers back then.
My classmates were all not worth my time because I felt I need someone grown up.
When I was around ten though I just fooled around with every classmate who wanted to.
Now I'm like when I was ten, just foolin around with guys of my age.

Woah you used to fool around with other kids when you were 10 years old ? That's early !

I had my very first homosexual experience around 13 years old at summer camp (but even then, I thought that was quite early too).

My first ex (who still lives at my place, I broke up with him back in June 2012) is away for his holidays, he went to visit his mom (he pretty much has no family here which is one of the reasons he's still at my place). Last night he texted me a link to Mariah Carey's song "Always Be My Baby" and added "Always" with a kissing smiley.

I didn't pay much attention because I don't know the song and I'm pretty sure he was a bit tipsy. I decided to listen to it out of curiosity and now I'm kinda freaking out. It's probably meant to be a cute thing but it's very creepy too, here are the lyrics if you don't know the song:

We were as one babe
For a moment in time
And it seemed everlasting
That you would always be mine
Now you wanna be free
So I'll let you fly
'Cause I know in my heart babe
Our love will never die

You'll always be a part of me
I'm part of you indefinitely
Boy don't you know you can't escape me
Ooh darling 'cause you'll always be my baby
And we'll linger on
Time can't erase a feeling this strong
No way you're never gonna shake me
Ooh darling 'cause you'll always be my baby

I ain't gonna cry no
And I won't beg you to stay
If you're determined to leave boy
I will not stand in your way
But inevitably
You'll be back again

'Cause you know in your heart babe
Our love will never end

I know that you'll be back boy
When your days and your nights get a little bit colder
I know that you'll be right back baby
Oh baby believe me it's only a matter of time

Way to may things awkward between us.

We shared a lot of great moments during our 5 years together. I just don't have any romantic feelings towards him, even though I do care for him, I see him kinda like family and I thought he did too but apparently there's something more.

I guess I'll just let it pass. Or should I say something?

Alrus

I had zero homosexual experience until I hit like 22. My last 2 years of high school I hated everyone, so there was no way I would have been attracted to anyone there (plus I hadn't reached self acceptance yet anyway).

Going out with a 14 year old when you're over 18, aside from the obvious legal issues, wouldn't really seem like a good idea, you change so much during those years that there would be no way you could relate with each other.

RM8

Chibi reminds me of some of the best RPGs I've played, I'm not sure how it's suddenly an issue these days. It's a good fit for an old-school RPG on a small, low-res screen.

btkadams

Chibi reminds me of some of the best RPGs I've played, I'm not sure how it's suddenly an issue these days. It's a good fit for an old-school RPG on a small, low-res screen.

the difference (imo) is that all of those old school rpgs with 2d chibi sprites had to draw the characters with oversized heads so that the player could actually tell who/what they were playing as. modern 3d chibi characters looks like it's purposely trying to be childish when there are no technical reasons to keep the proportions like that.

i personally don't have a problem with chibi characters, although i would probably prefer other artstyles if given the option. i really just wish square ever made games look like the beautiful art they make. those would be the most incredible looking games.

also, victor, that is indeed creepy lol.

Casanova

If 14 is the age of legal consent in your country or your state then I'd say go for it. At the age of 14 I certainly knew who I wanted to fuck and who I didn't so it's not like you are taking advantage of him or anything. I would not date him or anything, but for just fooling around, why not?

Don't hate me GAF, maybe I'm just an overly horny little bastard - and really, it's almost never the best idea to take my advice. But, it IS what I would do in that kind of situation.

daripad

Those games were pixelated 2D art. Now are 3D models that loo awful. And the character models look horrible, even if they didn't go for chibi style it wouldn't be good looking.

Alrus said:
Going out with a 14 year old when you're over 18, aside from the obvious legal issues, wouldn't really seem like a good idea, you change so much during those years that there would be no way you could relate with each other.

That's why asked. The age gap is huge and I didn't know it was prohibited, good thing that I made sure of that.

About sexual experiences, I have not.done anything. Not even kissing a girl. Nada. I knew I liked boys but I didn't fully accept myself until last year and I'm even considering not acting on it. Is too much struggle for me and I don't want to complicate eveything.

If 14 is the age of legal consent in your country or your state then I'd say go for it. At the age of 14 I certainly knew who I wanted to fuck and who I didn't so it's not like you are taking advantage of him or anything. I would not date him or anything, but for just fooling around, why not?

Don't hate me GAF, maybe I'm just an overly horny little bastard - and really, it's almost never the best idea to take my advice. But, it IS what I would do in that kind of situation.

I'm glad you put in that disclaimer.

Pretty sure legal or not - it's not OK to fuck around with a 14 year old. I don't even feel I need to explain why.

Yeah I quite like the art style of Bravely Default. I particularly liked the way the town in the demo was like a cool painting in the distance then you zoom in to navigate it like a side-scroller. And I've no problem with chibi characters if it suits the game.

Even if something like that was born out of a technical necessity - well its an art style now in it's own right.

Alrus

Hating on BD's artstyle, you guys be crazy :p

I still need to buy the game but I want to finish my exams first. Only one more week >.> The demo was great although rather basic. The job combination you could do were ridiculous though, the last two bosses barely hit my Ninja team at all.

beril

the difference (imo) is that all of those old school rpgs with 2d chibi sprites had to draw the characters with oversized heads so that the player could actually tell who/what they were playing as. modern 3d chibi characters looks like it's purposely trying to be childish when there are no technical reasons to keep the proportions like that.

i personally don't have a problem with chibi characters, although i would probably prefer other artstyles if given the option. i really just wish square ever made games look like the beautiful art they make. those would be the most incredible looking games.

also, victor, that is indeed creepy lol.

there are plenty of occasions in Bravely Default where the characters are basically as many pixels as in Final Fantasy 1, so that reasoning is still valid. You shouldn't really compare it to a full 3D third person game, it's closer to old school top down RPGs or something like FF7-9.

I don't mind chibi in general, and it fits well with the artstyle overall. But also it does still make sense from a technical perspective for this game

Son Of D

Thanks Crayons lol. But I wonder if I'm a bit TOO lovin at times. I can be a very attentive bf and I think that scares some people off nowadays. I dunno I like paying attention to my guy and doing things for him and just being a affectionate guy.

I feel that this is an issue I have as well. I do get worried that I'll come off as being too attentive. My last relationship was easier since we were best friends for a long time before we dated, but with future relationships I worry about how I look and come off too much :(. Especially with this guy I'm interested in at the moment.

On a more related note to the current topic at hand, I still need to play Bravely Default. Lack of job at the moment means that I have to be careful with my spending, so it won't be for a long time.

btkadams

there are plenty of occasions in Bravely Default where the characters are basically as many pixels as in Final Fantasy 1, so that reasoning is still valid. You shouldn't really compare it to a full 3D third person game, it's closer to old school top down RPGs or something like FF7-9.

I don't mind chibi in general, and it fits well with the artstyle overall. But also it does still make sense from a technical perspective for this game

i just can't imagine there being that big of a technical restriction when shin megami tensei 4 character models look as good as they do.

Delio

I dunno just I wouldnt want to mess with anyone who is 14. Age of consent in Texas is 17 tho not 14.

I feel that this is an issue I have as well. I do get worried that I'll come off as being too attentive. My last relationship was easier since we were best friends for a long time before we dated, but with future relationships I worry about how I look and come off too much :(. Especially with this guy I'm interested in at the moment.
Yeah, I had a similar situation occur last year. I spoke to this guy for about a month online then went on a few dates and we hit it off really well. I started showing some sort of seriousness with him relationship-wise (which I felt was fair game since we had a lengthy conversation about not playing games and looking for something serious) and he basically turned off completely. Broke it off shortly thereafter. That one still bugs me :-\

Caladrius

i just can't imagine there being that big of a technical restriction when shin megami tensei 4 character models look as good as they do.

Keep in mind that NPCs were sparse in SMTIV. The most crowded area in the game has 6 or so people in it, and the NPCs are noticeably lower-poly than Flynn is. BD probably has a minimum of 3-4 characters around most of the time,to say nothing of battles.

Yeah, I had a similar situation occur last year. I spoke to this guy for about a month online then went on a few dates and we hit it off really well. I started showing some sort of seriousness with him relationship-wise (which I felt was fair game since we had a lengthy conversation about not playing games and looking for something serious) and he basically turned off completely. Broke it off shortly thereafter. That one still bugs me :-\

The thing that bugs me about that is the lack of openness. I hear stories like this all the time, and I don't understand why people can't just call a spade a spade. There's no rule that says it's not ok to not want something serious from every relationship, but why just freeze up when it's mentioned instead of talking about it? It would bug me too, I don't blame you.

beril

It's not about hardware power, it's about perspective, screen space and resolution.
When you run about in SMT4 it's a free rotating camera centered on your character who takes up almost the entire screen vertically.
BD has a fixed camera, usually with a bit of overhead perspective and much more zoomed out, so the characters take up a tiny space on the screen, and with the 3DS resolution, a tiny amount of pixels, so it makes sense to focus on the heads and faces.

this is what it looks like on the overworld:
hhtCMp0.jpg

I count 23 pixels tall, basically the same as FF6, but still much smaller heads

Kater

Banned
Woah you used to fool around with other kids when you were 10 years old ? That's early !

I had my very first homosexual experience around 13 years old at summer camp (but even then, I thought that was quite early too).
I guess I was a bit of an early bloomer. :p

btkadams

Keep in mind that NPCs were sparse in SMTIV. The most crowded area in the game has 6 or so people in it, and the NPCs are noticeably lower-poly than Flynn is. BD probably has a minimum of 3-4 characters around most of the time,to say nothing of battles.

It's not about hardware power, it's about perspective, screen space and resolution.
When you run about in SMT4 it's a free rotating camera centered on your character who takes up almost the entire screen vertically.
BD has a fixed camera, usually with a bit of overhead perspective and much more zoomed out, so the characters take up a tiny space on the screen, and with the 3DS resolution, a tiny amount of pixels, so it makes sense to focus on the heads and faces.

this is what it looks like on the overworld:
hhtCMp0.jpg

I count 23 pixels tall, basically the same as FF6, but still much smaller heads
those are all very good points. i actually have had the game preordered for about 6 months now and i am looking forward to the release. it looks very pretty to me too.

i still think that - while the differences of npcs and camera make sense - the chibi style was a decision that they made by choice, not necessity. i feel like those other things like camera come naturally with the chibi artstyle. it makes it look more like the old final fantasy games that the devs tried to emulate. it would obviously look like a very different game if they went a different way, and that's almost certainly not what they wanted to do.

Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D has plenty of moderately-detailed enemies along with the main character you control, and they all sport a realistic style in an action-focused game. It's pretty damn impressive, actually.

The 3DS is definitely capable of more than stylized graphics, so I agree with btk in that Persona Q's is just a conscious design choice. It's probably for the best, though. I actually think it's inoffensively cute.

Caladrius

Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D has plenty of moderately-detailed enemies along with the main character you control, and they all sport a realistic style in an action-focused game. It's pretty damn impressive, actually.

The 3DS is definitely capable of more than stylized graphics, so I agree with btk in that Persona Q's is just a conscious design choice. It's probably for the best, though. I actually think it's inoffensively cute.

Ah. My reference pool for 3DS games is admittedly narrow aside from first parties.

Persona Q? You mean BD right?

btkadams

Ah. My reference pool for 3DS games is admittedly narrow aside from first parties.

Persona Q? You mean BD right?

well, he could mean persona q as it's another chibi game, despite being on a platform that can handle the regular persona graphics. i'm not sure though. maybe he did mean to say bd.

beril

You don't really need more polygons to make longer arms and legs, so from a technical perspective it's mostly irrelevant. Stylised graphics are easier to do well than realistic graphics in general, but chibi or not doesn't really matter, except the few extra triangles for the feet I guess.

well, he could mean persona q as it's another chibi game, despite being on a platform that can handle the regular persona graphics. i'm not sure though. maybe he did mean to say bd.

Persona Q is also 3DS, but actually I think the character models look a fair bit more advanced than regular persona 4, just a different style

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Make sure to keep us updated. It could be nothing but getting it checked out ASAP is a good idea. In 2012 I was diagnosed with testicular cancer and timing is really everything. Hopefully it's nothing, you probably just felt part of the epididymis.

Thank you, I will. I made an appointment for this Tuesday, which is the soonest they can see me.

There's a chance that it was just the epididymis that I felt (I've always been too timid to touch that part of my body so I don't really know what it feels like) but that would be embarrassing if that was all it turned out to be. lol

Oh gosh, 14 is way too young. Don't do that.
Don't ever do that.

Aside from it being illegal, and for very good reason.
14 year olds are practically little kids. They're barely even teenagers. And are barely starting to get interested in dating at that age. While not knowing any of the consequences.
A 19 year old is much more mature than a 14 year. And a 14 year old isn't ready for dating, period. Much less to be taken advantage of by a 19 year old.

Not okay ever.

RM8

It's awkward when you become close-ish to your best friend's girlfriend and they break up, lol. She still has some of my GBA games. My friend already has a new girlfriend though, he's been trying to "integrate" her and she's actually pretty cool too :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom