• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT4| We're (still) Here! We're (still) Queer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wrote a shit-ton of text about stuff that's not really Gay GAF related so I'm not sure if I should post it here or just make a topic in OT :/

OK, I started a new topic here. I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.

I just read it Victor - it sounds really tough and I think definitely if you have the opportunity you should get out. Nobody should have to live in fear.

On an unrelated note - upon finding out there was a GAF FB group I just spent ages stalking it. Didn't find who I was looking for though. Never mind, to sleep I go.

Ahasverus

I don't like the word queer, at all.

@Victor: I'm sorry man, but I think you should leave. Your country is screwed as long as that monkey is the president "Oh, so we have a 56% inflation? easy, hey central bank, print more money, and all enterprises raise your wages 26%! that will show them). Your work would be better valued in other place. Hope you land on your feet. I'd personally recommend Brasil, I'm colombian and this is a nice country and all but getting started might be hard, unless your father gives you a hand.
Anyway, good luck, and if I can help in anything just tell me.

I just read it Victor - it sounds really tough and I think definitely if you have the opportunity you should get out. Nobody should have to live in fear.
Thanks! I'm gonna spend the next few days updating my portfolio (I'm a graphic designer) so I can apply to some job offers just to try my luck (though I guess my job is not exactly high-demand).

@Victor: I'm sorry man, but I think you should leave. Your country is screwed as long as that monkey is the president "Oh, so we have a 56% inflation? easy, hey central bank, print more money, and all enterprises raise your wages 26%! that will show them). Your work would be better valued in other place. Hope you land on your feet. I'd personally recommend Brasil, I'm colombian and this is a nice country and all but getting started might be hard, unless your father gives you a hand.
Anyway, good luck, and if I can help in anything just tell me.

My dad lives in Bogotá, there are probably much better places, but I'm considering it because he would look after me at least until I get a decent job, etc. Also it's close so I can more easily visit my mom/brother.

RM8

I don't like the word queer, at all.
Same. Actually, I'm not crazy about the word "gay" in the first place, lol. Some people don't like it, but I think "homosexual" is a more correct term, and it actually exists in other languages :p

That's terrible :( To be honest, yeah, I'd do my best to leave the country. I live in Mexico, and the cities I move around like Toluca and Mexico City are very safe, but simply knowing about the stuff that is happening in some states because of the drug war definitely makes me want to leave to a nicer place. So I can relate. Buena suerte :D Hope everything turns out fine.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
"Homosexual", for me, has the same connotations as "male" and "female". Very clinical and academic, but not really appropriate for casual conversations.

daripad

I'm sorry for everything Victor, I hope your mother gets better.

I'd say go for it if you really want it. You are not seeing your mother frequently anyway so there is little reason to stay there. I wouldn't say come to Mexico because the situation here is getting worse and you'll need "palancazos" everywhere if you want a decent job.

ivysaur12

Banned
I don't like queer. I don't feel queer. I get why people might like the word, but, eh. I like gay. Homosexual is too clinical.

Caladrius

I only use "queer" when I need a term to describe the full extent of our broad non-normative coalition and don't feel like using letters.

And homosexual is a great term to use if you're performing a controlled experiment.
I'm saying it's a smidge too detached and very stilted.

Casanova

Okay, so I was talking to my roommate's brother (who is openly gay) and apparently to the gay and straight community, claiming bisexuality is a "cop-out" and just an excuse to jump on the gay "bandwagon" as he put it so very bluntly. He said that anyone who claims to be a bisexual "sounds like an idiot".

Needless to say, I got pretty upset about it because I'm bisexual and I just could not understand how someone could say that it's not possible to be sexually attracted to both men and women. My roomate nor his brother know that I'm Bi, but I got upset enough that they might know now...

Anyway, is this fucking real? Do people in the gay and straight community honestly think like this?

EDIT: I don't like the word "queer" either. It seems disparaging, really. Probably because I'm from the south and it's always been the typical go-to word that rednecks use for homosexuals.

RM8

In the end, I prefer to say something like "I like dudes" instead of "I'm _____". Less labels = good.

Today in my English class we were talking about how governments have burned books before and some controversies surrounding books, so the teacher was like "What's one reason people may want some books banned?" and a guy said "Homosexuality" so the teacher said "what's wrong with reading about homosexuality?" and the guy responded "It's bad, because it's in the bible and the bible is fact" and so I laughed out loud when he said that and the teacher wanted to laugh too when she saw me laughing even though she's crazy Catholic. In the end she said "We're not getting into that."

The guy sits in the row behind me and I'm pretty sure he heard me, I felt kind of bad lol.

Caladrius

Anyway, is this fucking real? Do people in the gay and straight community honestly think like this?

Yes.

The irony of people who are discriminated against due to a fundamental lack of understanding of something as a condition doing the exact same thing is blood-boiling.

daripad

The guy sits in the row behind me and I'm pretty sure he heard me, I felt kind of bad lol.

Now you'll feel worse when he gets to tell everyone that you are gay because you laughed at something against homosexuality

In the end, I prefer to say something like "I like dudes" instead of "I'm _____". Less labels = good.

I like gay because is a very short word but to explain my sexuality liking dudes sounds good.

Sibylus

Banned
Forget the sound, your friend is an idiot. Speaking authoritatively on a subject he doesn't understand the first thing about... something idiots the world over all have in common.

I avoided identifying as bisexual for a long time because of people like that. Sadly, it seems to be very pervasive.

I've had a lot of people tell me I'm just heterosexual. And that I'm just identifying as bisexual in order to be 'different' or 'special'.

I didn't actually realize until the last few years, that "bi-now-gay-later" is also a pervasive bi-erasure. As I had never experienced anything like it.

Now you'll feel worse when he gets to tell everyone that you are gay because you laughed at something against homosexuality
I want somebody to out me tbh because I'm tired of talking to girls and then some dude going "Dude!!! cute couple!! ask her out!!!"

god it gets old.

Haly

Link your FB so we can start posting gay stuff on your wall.

daripad

I want somebody to out me tbh because I'm tired of talking to girls and then some dude going "Dude!!! cute couple!! ask her out!!!"

god it gets old.

Happens to me very frequently. I have even received "help" to date girls I talk to. Some of them even were a bit persuasive. I'm tired of it too but I don't want anyone to know I'm gay. That would be a disaster.

1) everyone's just jealous because bisexuals get mo' bitches (of both genders)

2) I don't mind the term "queer," but as always it depends on the inflection. Saying it in some bombastic southern drawl is a sure-fire way to make anything sound bad, even "gay." I also think queer has more specialized applications compared to gay, though.

Also, being bisexual isn't just a bang-whoever-you-want-fest. Sure, you have two genders to pick from, but now the people you canoodle with have got to be okay with bisexuality, even if they're straight.

Catering to both straights and gays appearance-wise also sucks.

Replicant

Going back to the Kaidan thing, after finding out that his face model, Luciano Costa is gay IRL, I really believe that originally Bioware wanted to make Kaidan bisexual at least but chickened out at the last minute. It's not until the 3rd game that they finally get to realize their original intention.

tumblr_mrj2l4sR901qb4sz8o1_500.jpg

Why am I bringing it up? Oh, that Agents of Shield swiping the artwork from ME3 brings back memory of Kaidan and the very hot Luciano Costa.

Haly

He looks a lot better than Kaiden ever did.

Or maybe it's because I only had eyes for Garrus.

Grizzo

I read it. I think you should get out of there as soon as you get the chance, but only if you feel like you're ready for it. It may be a tough decision to make, but you gotta think ahead and plan your future.

Until then, just stay strong and keep your hopes up. Things are gonna get better. Fingers crossed for you.

_Isaac

Going back to the Kaidan thing, after finding out that his face model, Luciano Costa is gay IRL, I really believe that originally Bioware wanted to make Kaidan bisexual at least but chickened out at the last minute. It's not until the 3rd game that they finally get to realize their original intention.

tumblr_mrj2l4sR901qb4sz8o1_500.jpg

Why am I bringing it up? Oh, that Agents of Shield swiping the artwork from ME3 brings back memory of Kaidan and the very hot Luciano Costa.

His romance stuff in ME3 totally creeped me out. I guess I'm just not used to it.

I hope you like this guys :p

Rm88 is the gayest member of this forum confirmed

Wow. The top is so different than what it used to be.

"Homosexual", for me, has the same connotations as "male" and "female". Very clinical and academic, but not really appropriate for casual conversations.

I kind of like the term 'homophile' in a way, I think sexual attraction is a valid means of classification and it is arguably the most encompassing, but 'love' has a loftier and more interesting stuff attached to it which maybe relates more to the meaningfulness of a hypothetical 'culture', or something, if only it wasn't quite so close to 'pedophile' :p

Queer is pretty useful when you wanna be lazy about refering to anyone who isn't straight or gender-normative. Also, total nonsequitur but, people hatin' on Bravely Default's artstyle need to get out.
Okay, so I was talking to my roommate's brother (who is openly gay) and apparently to the gay and straight community, claiming bisexuality is a "cop-out" and just an excuse to jump on the gay "bandwagon" as he put it so very bluntly. He said that anyone who claims to be a bisexual "sounds like an idiot".

Needless to say, I got pretty upset about it because I'm bisexual and I just could not understand how someone could say that it's not possible to be sexually attracted to both men and women. My roomate nor his brother know that I'm Bi, but I got upset enough that they might know now...

EDIT: I don't like the word "queer" either. It seems disparaging, really. Probably because I'm from the south and it's always been the typical go-to word that rednecks use for homosexuals.

Oh, biphobia in the gay community can get pretty bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom