• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT4| We're (still) Here! We're (still) Queer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grizzo

Dark rooms are called back rooms in France because... well I guess it's because you do your business in the back of the club.
(and it might have something to do with men's back too)

Sagitario

Sounds awesome. Why would they get rid of them?
1ygLj9s.gif

I expected a real picture of you on Twitter :p

Garcia

Sounds awesome. Why would they get rid of them?

Well, I wouldn't be so sure about the awesome part; different strokes for different folks I suppose. I take pretty good care of myself so I've always avoided those like the plague.

There's one famous gay club here where you have to enter a dark room in order to go to the bathroom. It's one of those places I can honestly say I won't ever step foot into.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Well, I wouldn't be so sure about the awesome part; different strokes for different folks I suppose. I take pretty good care of myself so I've always avoided those like the plague.

There's one famous gay club here where you have to enter a dark room in order to go to the bathroom. It's one of those places I can honestly say I won't ever step foot into.

It's basically like a fully body glory hole right? Sounds awesome to me!

Caladrius

Omfg I love your avatar.

Well any avatar is awesome when it includes the Grand Duchess of Ballertown.

Thank ye. I think I'll put this one into semi-regular rotation.

Also for some reason no one has made .gifs of her pimpslappin' some fools. If I knew how to do this I would make it myself.

I'd use twitter if I could think of witty observations about my life or whatever. I like it in practice more than facebook I think. Facebook has that weird pseudo-intimacy angle where you sometimes come to 'know' people (or certain aspects of people) way more than you care to.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'd use twitter if I could think of witty observations about my life or whatever. I like it in practice more than facebook I think. Facebook has that weird pseudo-intimacy angle where you sometimes come to 'know' people (or certain aspects of people) way more than you care to.

Don't even need to do that. Just retweet George Takei and other peoples funny tweets like I do.

Caladrius

Amen. I'm just feeling so much nostalgia right now :')

Finished a replay this afternoon. Hitting the power switch once it got to the end screen is still bittersweet.

I wish I could delete the majority of my extended family on Facebook without consequence.

They sicken me.

Don't even need to do that. Just retweet George Takei and other peoples funny tweets like I do.

But it's much more fun to grumble about the demonic screeching coming from my bathroom vent!

I don't really get the point of that. Well I do, but not enough to bother I guess. I don't have a tumblr either and that's a similar idea, just with pictures and gifs and stuff. It's kind of like you have to be pretty voracious for it to be worth it, and I'm not really.

I wish I could delete the majority of my extended family on Facebook without consequence.

They sicken me.

Delete your facebook account (and or create a pseudonym).

TheSeks

They're closing down the saunas too? What is the world coming to?

Honestly ask yourself if you want to sit in saunas where sex has happened and hasn't been cleaned up.

One of my dreams if I ever got the money to build my own house would be to have a personal sauna. No need to worry about health issues from it.

Saunas are lovely, I just don't like to feel like I'm living in one.

Honestly ask yourself if you want to sit in saunas where sex has happened and hasn't been cleaned up.

One of my dreams if I ever got the money to build my own house would be to have a personal sauna. No need to worry about health issues from it.

You can build an infrared sauna super easily. Just get like a white 'tent' or something made of cloth and buy a bunch of those high wattage halogen worklight bulbs (like 500 Watts). Halogen bulbs have a light composition closest to the sun, but lacking in UV, and the major component is near infrared light. It draws a bit of power but there's some preliminary evidence that near infrared light is good for you because it acts on cytochrome oxidase or something. They're also better than 'far infrared' saunas, which are more common but may be damaging.

TheSeks

I never really understood the appeal of saunas. It's just an uncomfortable place to be.

I agree with this X_X.

A good sweat once a week or so is beneficial to you. It helps flush out toxins and fights illnesses. It can also help you relax, but you have to know your limits and if the place is too hot then you need to tell someone to knock it down a few degrees. It shouldn't be like the inside of an oven but slightly hotter than a SoCal summer in it.

You can build an infrared sauna super easily. Just get like a white 'tent' or something made of cloth and buy a bunch of those high wattage halogen worklight bulbs (like 500 Watts). Halogen bulbs have a light composition closest to the sun, but lacking in UV, and the major component is near infrared light. It draws a bit of power but there's some preliminary evidence that near infrared light is good for you because it acts on cytochrome oxidase or something. They're also better than 'far infrared' saunas, which are more common but may be damaging.

I'd have to see this. I see there's prebuilt ones similar to saunas themselves that is appealing but I dunno if the "DIY" variety would have the same appeal for me.

Speaking of alternative stuff: I wouldn't mind trying a sensory deprivation tank/Isolation tank one time.

GCX

Over here every goddamn house and even most flats are built with their own saunas.

A good sweat once a week or so is beneficial to you. It helps flush out toxins and fights illnesses. It can also help you relax, but you have to know your limits and if the place is too hot then you need to tell someone to knock it down a few degrees. It shouldn't be like the inside of an oven but slightly hotter than a SoCal summer in it.
I prefer hot yoga for this, personally :]. It's my favorite.

Sai-kun

Banned
I went to hot yoga classes for a month last month, wasn't for me. Maybe it was just that studio, but they did the same routine of poses every single time, and it was entry-level stuff. Boring :( I missed that bit of text on their brochure.

TheSeks

Was the sex clean and without STDS?

Obviously not if people are closing saunas in gay bathhouses?

BlueBadger said:
I prefer hot yoga for this, personally :]. It's my favorite.

...I get where you're coming from, but it isn't exactly the same thing. Same with exercise. They provide some of the benefits but not exactly the same thing as a sauna.

I went to hot yoga classes for a month last month, wasn't for me. Maybe it was just that studio, but they did the same routine of poses every single time, and it was entry-level stuff. Boring :( I missed that bit of text on their brochure.

Yeah I find at my studio if you go to classes with different instructors, they tend to have variations in their sessions. Also I don't do Bikram. I do Moksha. It's still hot yoga, and it's still a workout, but it also focuses more on mental wellness and breathing and going at your own pace etc.

I'd have to see this. I see there's prebuilt ones similar to saunas themselves that is appealing but I dunno if the "DIY" variety would have the same appeal for me.

Speaking of alternative stuff: I wouldn't mind trying a sensory deprivation tank/Isolation tank one time.

That makes sense, it definitely wouldn't be as nice as some ergonomic cedar room or whatever. I think the prebuilt ones are far infrared though which is a little closer to microwaves than near infrared which is closer to red spectrum light.

A sensory deprivation tank would be neat, I want to try one too. I hear you have to try them a few times, because you sort of 'adjust' to them and learn how to use them I guess. I think my meditation practice already does a lot of what they do though, but it would just make it easier.

Over here every goddamn house and even most flats are built with their own saunas.

And I automatically know what country you're from, lol :p

Saunas are fantastic and very relaxing... but the detox part is a myth, heh.

Yeah, I think the cleansing aspect is more psychological. It might do something good with heat shock proteins though.

As for the yoga discussion, I like Qigong/Neigong more than Yoga, personally (though I try to do both). But sometimes I think I was a Chinese person in a past life or something. The poetic language and cultural trappings of Taoism and stuff all make me weirdly 'nostalgic' and comfortable. It's odd.

RM8

I've never gone to a sauna and honestly it's not something I'm itching to do. I'm not a high temperature person.

Bladenic

Got way too drunk. Told bartenders it was my first time at a gay bar and they kept giving me shots. I had an amazing time. Got to dance to Drunk in Love with my bf.

Also told my bf I loved him. He said he felt the same. Hope I wake up tomorrow and this isn't a dream.

alvmew

Got way too drunk. Told bartenders it was my first time at a gay bar and they kept giving me shots. I had an amazing time. Got to dance to Drunk in Love with my bf.

Also told my bf I loved him. He said he felt the same. Hope I wake up tomorrow and this isn't a dream.

D'aww. :3 Good for you!

Why can't I have a boyfriend to tell me he loves me, GAF? ):

Grat's on the BF love. Boo on dancing to shitty music.

Basch

Someone just told me he was going to kill himself on Scruff. Has anybody had a similar situation or know what to do. He messaged me 4 hours ago and I just replied not even 20 minutes ago. I didn't think that this stuff happened. It's really shitty.

Masamuna

Someone just told me he was going to kill himself on Scruff. Has anybody had a similar situation or know what to do. He messaged me 4 hours ago and I just replied not even 20 minutes ago. I didn't think that this stuff happened. It's really shitty.

I had someone do that similarly on tumblr. Kept anonymously sending me messages regarding his need for suicide. The best thing I could do was reblog several suicide hotline posts and a few posts stating that although I did not know him that someone out there loved him etc. He later got off anon and apologized and AFAIK is okay. Usually the best thing to do is be that shoulder to cry on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom