• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ :)OT6(: We’re taking over -- first the alphabet, then the world!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Droplet

Hey guys.

If I'm emotionally attracted to one gender and sexually to another, am I fucked for dating someone?

Is this even a real thing or am I screwed up in the head?

Elitist1945

tumblr_nbwmpgZHG31sd5peko1_500.gif

*Faints*

In the Gainesville area mostly.
Oh. That's too bad. If I was staying in Orlando, maybe we could hang out or meetup or something but I'm gonna be near Miami. Somewhat sad.

As for fun things to do, any chance you 'll be able to go to Orlando because that's probably your best bet for fun in the area.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
how do i do that

i don't see any options for windowed in the options section

It depends on the game. Generally it's buried under: "Video Options" in the Options Menu.

Sometimes it's a config option (editing a file in the game directory) or a command-line option on bootup (though this is rarely used now). You can possibly force it with your GPU settings as well.

In the Gainesville area mostly.

Speaking as someone that lives here: Gainesville has NOTHING to do unless: 1) You're into drinking (in which case visit Swamp Head brewery [IIRC they do tastings, if not that, then] and First Magnitude Brewery [Which DOES do tastings and you can buy Growlers/glass bottles to take home]) or 2) into Football (which isn't in season right now) to do Gator Game days. I think Baseball is in season and Basketball? IDK, I don't follow sports. But if you want to visit UF campus you could do that.

I'd suggest heading over to High Springs (north of Gainesville and North of Alachua) or Alachua (north on 13th Street/US 441) if you wanted to visit a town nearby. Or go to one of the Springs (Silver, Itchatucknee) which are north/south of town.

You can also possibly view Alligators on UF campus (Lake Alice) or in Payne's Prairie (reserve that hugs Gainesville's south), if not that you can swing by Chop Stix (and the... Ice Cream/Mochi place forgetting the name that is built into it now) for Sushi and possibly see alligators there. Or you do one of the other state parks like the rail-trail.

Oh, right. One thing I would suggest is maybe going to one of the Farmers Markets if you wanted some food. Heart and Seoul generally does food at the Union Street Farmers Market (which has relocated and I forget the new location while Bo Diddley is rennovating over the year) on Wednesday evening. Google that and check around for the new location.

Shout out to Vegan 2 Go over on Newberry if you're wanting Vegan Food, pretty decent and like nearly the only option besides a few others around town that are 100% Vegan.

Ohhhh and thinking on it, there is also Kanapaha Bottanical Gardens if you want to walk through a flower field. I dunno what their operating hours are, but that's an option. As is... Haile Plantation which is a bit north/north-west of Kanapaha.

Edit: Thinking on it, there is a few gay-themed options around town. The... forgetting the name on 13th street does some events now and then. There's a drag queen event weekly(?) at the gay bar on University IIRC and the Hippodrome generally does gay-friendly movies (gay romance movies and other such bohemian stuff) depending on their schedule. The Hipp is Florida's oldest playhouse and the area around it has alright-ish food and shopping, depends on how much cash you want to spend and if you want to see a live play or a movie there.

Droplet

Why would you say that?

I can't seem to work up a real physical interest in anyone that I might be attracted to otherwise. The closer proximity I am to someone, the less I like them, which I feel like would be unideal for getting into a serious relationship.

I guess?

Sai-kun

Banned
Hey guys.

If I'm emotionally attracted to one gender and sexually to another, am I fucked for dating someone?

It's definitely a real thing. The way you are is completely okay!

As far as dating goes, what have your experiences been like so far? I wouldn't say you're fucked, but I would say that it's worth delving into deeper to figure out more about what your attractions to either gender are like.

I can't seem to work up a real physical interest in anyone that I might be attracted to otherwise. The closer proximity I am to someone, the less I like them, which I feel like would be unideal for getting into a serious relationship.

I guess?

Maybe that means you havent found the right person. Maybe you subconciously push people youre attracted to away because it makes you emotionally vulnerable.

DOWN

Banned
Hey guys.

Mind sharing what gender you find emotionally attractive? (If you did earlier, I may have missed it)

Droplet

It's definitely a real thing. The way you are is completely okay!

As far as dating goes, what have your experiences been like so far? I wouldn't say you're fucked, but I would say that it's worth delving into deeper to figure out more about what your attractions to either gender are like.

They've been pretty limited, I guess. I'm a woman and I've only really tried going out with men, but even after one date I get bored and uninterested. Same as the few times I've tried hooking up, I get bored and leave. I have fallen in love with men but not women which is the only thing that makes me think I'm straight...emotionally? I've known since I was much younger that I found other women sexually appealing though.

Nobody else has believed me when I tell them this so I've kind of kept it bottled up. I'd feel bad pursuing one gender without being able to give it my all.

edit:

Maybe that means you havent found the right person. Maybe you subconciously push people youre attracted to away because it makes you emotionally vulnerable.

As much as I can't explain it, I don't think that's it. I wear my heart on my sleeve normally.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Welcome, Droplet! :) You've come to the right place <3

What games are you playing?

Shantae Risky's Revenge! >:O

It depends on the game. Generally it's buried under: "Video Options" in the Options Menu.

Sometimes it's a config option (editing a file in the game directory) or a command-line option on bootup (though this is rarely used now). You can possibly force it with your GPU settings as well.

I think I found out how to do it. There are two screen sizes, which isn't ideal, but at least I found one that isn't full screen.

I'd suggest heading over to High Springs (north of Gainesville and North of Alachua) or Alachua (north on 13th Street/US 441) if you wanted to visit a town nearby. Or go to one of the Springs (Silver, Itchatucknee) which are north/south of town.

Springs? Hot springs? :3

Sai-kun

Banned
They've been pretty limited, I guess. I'm a woman and I've only really tried going out with men, but even after one date I get bored and uninterested. Same as the few times I've tried hooking up, I get bored and leave. I have fallen in love with men but not women which is the only thing that makes me think I'm straight...emotionally? I've known since I was much younger that I found other women sexually appealing though.

Nobody else has believed me when I tell them this so I've kind of kept it bottled up. I'd feel bad pursuing one gender without being able to give it my all.

Have you ever gotten so far into dating someone that you've explained the way you feel to them?

Personally, I don't have anything against sleeping with someone on the first date, but sometimes I feel like I need to go out with someone multiple times before I feel like I could sleep with them. If it's not too personal to ask, what/why do you get bored/uninterested after just one date?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Springs? Hot springs? :3

Uh... no. Like, 60 degrees even in winter springs. Tubing down Itchatuknee is decent depending on the weather and if you can survive the 60 degree water in 60-80 degree weather.

Silver Springs doesn't let you snorkel or anything in the springs, it's a park that was bought by the state last... November? Or something and renovated. They generally will have concerts, but it depends on time/day and who is playing there (if anyone). Kinda like a zoo.

Droplet

Welcome, Droplet! :) You've come to the right place <3

O-oh, should I do the intro thing?

Have you ever gotten so far into dating someone that you've explained the way you feel to them?

Personally, I don't have anything against sleeping with someone on the first date, but sometimes I feel like I need to go out with someone multiple times before I feel like I could sleep with them. If it's not too personal to ask, what/why do you get bored/uninterested after just one date?

Nope. I think my record is 2.

Uh, I wish I could tell you. I think I get disinterested by their attraction, or that I don't think we have enough to talk about, or that I don't find their conversation very interesting. Or...their...smells? Is that ridiculous? I don't really know exactly, but there's pretty much been no time I've come home from a date happy or excited about it.

Hey guys.

Romantic and sexual interests don't have to align, there are others who are heteroromantic and homosexual or homoromantic and heterosexual and if you search for the appropriate combination then you'll find that you aren't alone. :)

Droplet

Go for it

K.

Your gender? Female
Your sexual orientation? heteroromantic homosexual???????????
Where Are You From? LA area
Where Do You Live? Berkeley, where I go to school.
How Old Are you? 20.
Favorite Type of Music? Electropop or just electronic in general. Ellie Goulding and Blackmill are my two favorite artists.
Profession or Career interest? Software...I've been kind of dreaming about getting really involved in some kind of graphics rendering software, but I find coding so boring... :( Right now I'm doing astronomy research.
Favorite video game(s)? I really like the Tales series. Aside from those, VN-style games? I also play a lot of Blazblue with my friends, and when I was younger I really liked Diablo II and Jak & Daxter.
What are your hobbies (other than gaming)? I really enjoy drawing. I also like stories. Lately I've been reading a lot of manga because it's pretty fast and something I can pick up fast, but when I get more time to myself I'd like to read more books and watch more movies.

Romantic and sexual interests don't have to align, there are others who are heteroromantic and homosexual or homoromantic and heterosexual and if you search for the appropriate combination then you'll find that you aren't alone. :)

I'd be lying if I didn't feel the least bit uncomfortable identifying as this but I'll try using it now in lieu of my usual hetero/bisexual.

Thank you guys, you're so welcoming :>

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Uh... no. Like, 60 degrees even in winter springs. Tubing down Itchatuknee is decent depending on the weather and if you can survive the 60 degree water in 60-80 degree weather.

Silver Springs doesn't let you snorkel or anything in the springs, it's a park that was bought by the state last... November? Or something and renovated. They generally will have concerts, but it depends on time/day and who is playing there (if anyone). Kinda like a zoo.

a hot spring in FL could be nice tho. like an outdoor sauna!

Always happy to have new people! Be sure to stick around! :3

I'd be lying if I didn't feel the least bit uncomfortable identifying as this but I'll try using it now in lieu of my usual hetero/bisexual.

Oh, this wasn't trying to get you to identify as this, it's just that there are people who experience the same type of thing and you aren't alone. :)

By search I meant googling it, sorry.

Droplet

Oh, this wasn't trying to get you to identify as this, it's just that there are people who experience the same type of thing and you aren't alone. :)

By search I meant googling it, sorry.

Nono, I think this is it, and I've seen it before and thought it was right. I just mean kind of...using the term is uncomfortable to me because it just feels like the first time I've ever really identified as that? It's a little scary I guess. I had the same feeling when I told my friend I was bi (it felt close enough?) and he asked if I'd ever come out. It freaked me out a little.

Always happy to have new people! Be sure to stick around! :3

you're cool :) :) :) :)

:D

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Favorite Type of Music? Electropop or just electronic in general. Ellie Goulding and Blackmill are my two favorite artists.

Kool, never heard of them before, but I'm listening right now and digging 'em a lot!:O

What does this even mean jw

Aromantic: lack of romantic attraction towards anyone.
Biromantic: romantic attraction towards person(s) of two or more genders.
Heteroromantic: romantic attraction towards person(s) of one gender other than their own.
Homoromantic: romantic attraction towards person(s) of the same gender.
Panromantic: romantic attraction to person(s) of any gender.

Asexual: lack of sexual attraction towards anyone.
Bisexual: sexual attraction towards person(s) of two or more genders.
Heterosexual: sexual attraction towards person(s) of one gender other than their own.
Homosexual: sexual attraction towards person(s) of the same gender.
Pansexual: sexual attraction to person(s) of any gender.

VegiHam

So here's something I still don't get. What's the difference between Bi and Pan.
I understand the difference between the two definitions; but do they correspond to two distinct groups of people? Who are these 'other' people that pansexuals are attracted to but bisexuals aren't? And why aren't they?

To me pan seems to make bi redundant; unless there are a huge number of people saying 'well I'm attracted to men, and I'm attracted to women; but only if they're one or the other' which I've never experienced. What am I missing?

Yrael

So here's something I still don't get. What's the difference between Bi and Pan.
I understand the difference between the two definitions; but do they correspond to two distinct groups of people? Who are these 'other' people that pansexuals are attracted to but bisexuals aren't? And why aren't they?

To me pan seems to make bi redundant; unless there are a huge number of people saying 'well I'm attracted to men, and I'm attracted to women; but only if they're one or the other' which I've never experienced. What am I missing?

The term "bisexual" was coined at a time when gender fluidity and identities outside the binary weren't really acknowledged (at least in western society), so it's not necessarily accurate to say that someone who identifies as bisexual rather than pan is only ever strictly attracted to men or to women - often that's simply the term that they're most familiar with or comfortable with applying to themselves.

DOWN

Banned
I'm not sure what the difference in romantic versus sexual is. Wouldn't attraction lead to both?
Nah, you can feel all those nice talking segment of a date feelings for one gender and want to make out and Hubba hubba with a different one and feel like you don't see a relationship connection outside a sexual context. Usually the sexual and romantic feelings are paired to whatever gender is found attractive, but they can be separate.

I'm not sure what the difference in romantic versus sexual is. Wouldn't attraction lead to both?
Romantic and sexual attraction don't always line up. We can find this with, for example:
-Asexuals who have romantic attractions.
-Bisexuals whose attractions to one gender are sexual only while having sexual and romantic attractions to other genders.

(You'll probably find the distinction being made mostly by people in those two communities in terms of having words for these things?)

Or even on an individual level of attractions to an individual, it can be romantic and not sexual or sexual and not romantic. Without one ever leading to the other appearing.

Speaking as someone that lives here: Gainesville has NOTHING to do unless: 1) You're into drinking (in which case visit Swamp Head brewery [IIRC they do tastings, if not that, then] and First Magnitude Brewery [Which DOES do tastings and you can buy Growlers/glass bottles to take home]) or 2) into Football (which isn't in season right now) to do Gator Game days. I think Baseball is in season and Basketball? IDK, I don't follow sports. But if you want to visit UF campus you could do that.

You can also possibly view Alligators on UF campus (Lake Alice) or in Payne's Prairie (reserve that hugs Gainesville's south), if not that you can swing by Chop Stix (and the... Ice Cream/Mochi place forgetting the name that is built into it now) for Sushi and possibly see alligators there. Or you do one of the other state parks like the rail-trail.

Oh, right. One thing I would suggest is maybe going to one of the Farmers Markets if you wanted some food. Heart and Seoul generally does food at the Union Street Farmers Market (which has relocated and I forget the new location while Bo Diddley is rennovating over the year) on Wednesday evening. Google that and check around for the new location.

Shout out to Vegan 2 Go over on Newberry if you're wanting Vegan Food, pretty decent and like nearly the only option besides a few others around town that are 100% Vegan.

Ohhhh and thinking on it, there is also Kanapaha Bottanical Gardens if you want to walk through a flower field. I dunno what their operating hours are, but that's an option. As is... Haile Plantation which is a bit north/north-west of Kanapaha.

Edit: Thinking on it, there is a few gay-themed options around town. The... forgetting the name on 13th street does some events now and then. There's a drag queen event weekly(?) at the gay bar on University IIRC and the Hippodrome generally does gay-friendly movies (gay romance movies and other such bohemian stuff) depending on their schedule. The Hipp is Florida's oldest playhouse and the area around it has alright-ish food and shopping, depends on how much cash you want to spend and if you want to see a live play or a movie there.

Wow, thanks so much for all the info! I'll see if I can find something entertaining to do down here, lol. I've been down to Gainesville quite a bit because it's where my brother lives, but generally, it's only been for a few days here and there (holidays and such), so I didn't have much of a need for exploring the city or finding something interesting to do. But a week is a long time and I have no idea what I'll try to pass the time with now especially because they have to work some next week. I guess the baby will keep me occupied somewhat, but maybe I can do something more entertaining at night. Thanks again. :)

VegiHam

The term "bisexual" was coined at a time when gender fluidity and identities outside the binary weren't really acknowledged (at least in western society), so it's not necessarily accurate to say that someone who identifies as bisexual rather than pan is only ever strictly attracted to men or to women - often that's simply the term that they're most familiar with or comfortable with applying to themselves.

So the terms are redundant then? I propose we remove one! Let's get rid of pan, LGPT looks dumb.

Golnei

I was looking at the Eurovision contest thread and I saw this guy . . . dude looks like a gay porn star. :p

Václav Noid Bárta

He fits the mould well enough to create some incredibly realistic false memories of badly looped, high-contrast Tumblr gifsets.

So the terms are redundant then? I propose we remove one! Let's get rid of pan, LGPT looks dumb.

Even for the sake of aesthetics, solely endorsing a more binary view would probably not be the best decision - and LGOT would probably make for an even uglier acronym. In the pursuit of accuracy, all you can do is embrace the lumbering, unwieldy alphabet colossus as it consumes the entire scope of human experience.

An NPC in Final Fantasy XIV said: "After suffering the loss of a...close friend... began to lose [my] way" and I was all, like, I wonder if '...close friend...' is a euphemism for same-sex lover?!?! But apparently I'm not reading too much into that '90s gameshow-style euphemism and the character is gay, so that's nice.

Golnei

An NPC in Final Fantasy XIV said: "After suffering the loss of a...close friend... began to lose [my] way" and I was all, like, I wonder if '...close friend...' is a euphemism for same-sex lover?!?! But apparently I'm not reading too much into that '90s gameshow-style euphemism and the character is gay, so that's nice.

...Doesn't FFXIV have same-sex marriage? Weird for them to retreat into euphemism after allowing that, but I guess making marriage available to players might not necessarily mean they're comfortable with openly writing same-sex couples. Regardless, it's good that they're actually writing non-heterosexual NPCs - shame XV won't have anything similar.

...Doesn't FFXIV have same-sex marriage? Weird for them to retreat into euphemism after allowing that, but I guess making marriage available to players might not necessarily mean they're comfortable with openly writing same-sex couples. Regardless, it's good that they're actually writing non-heterosexual NPCs - shame XV won't have anything similar.

There is at least one. The quest to unlock one of the dungeons features a gay male couple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom