• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ :)OT6(: We’re taking over -- first the alphabet, then the world!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uh well yeah risking your health is pretty universally unadvisable

edit: ooh that sharp edit

But it is their body and their choice is it not? Promiscuous safe sex is still going to increase your risk. What's our arbitrary cut-off point?

I suppose you could argue they then increase the chances of spreading disease to others, but nobody forces people to participate in unsafe sex.

??

Yeah you're putting yourself and others at risk for STI's

Promiscuous safe sex still does that. And who cares? Don't have unsafe sex yourself if you don't want to accept those risks. Why criticize people who choose to take those risks?

Sai-kun

Banned
It's more like, should I be proud? should I be ashamed?

I told my friends and they already called me dirty whore lol

I don't wanna be a whore

if my friends were gonna judge me for sleeping around, i can tell you those people are honestly not the kind of people i wanna be around. i'd rather my friends remind me to be safe than call me something they obviously mean as an insult. sounds like shitty friends tbh.

DOWN

Banned
But it is their body and their choice is it not? Promiscuous safe sex is still going to increase your risk. What's our arbitrary cut-off point?

I suppose you could argue they then increase the chances of spreading disease to others, but nobody forces people to participate in unsafe sex.
Then don't participate in unsafe sex

We aren't on the same page here, apparently

Then don't participate in unsafe sex

We aren't on the same page here, apparently

I don't participate in unsafe sex, nor would I choose to.

I just don't see why people go "hey banging 3 dudes in one day is perfectly fine as long as you used a condom." Why do you give a shit if he used condoms or not? If he and the dudes he banged want to have consensual unsafe sex, why is that a problem for you? Because it makes gays look bad? Because it lowers the pool of people you'd be willing to have sex with if more people participated in unsafe sex?

DOWN

Banned

I just don't see why people go "hey banging 3 dudes in one day is perfectly fine as long as you used a condom." Why do you give a shit if he used condoms or not? If he and the dudes he banged want to have consensual unsafe sex, why is that a problem for you? Because it makes gays look bad? Because it lowers the pool of people you'd be willing to have sex with if more people participated in unsafe sex?
Your insistence on there being no distinction between unsafe and safe consensual sex seems irresponsible to me. People shouldn't care if safe sex is practiced in society? Or if they do care, they can't be okay with casual safe sex being frequent? Could you put these in statements instead of questions for me?

Sai-kun

Banned

uhhh because even though there is still a risk of stis, it's much lower with protection.

really?

also lmfao at the bolded jesus dude

Dany

Banned
Because I care about other people? Because he would needlessly be putting himself in danger? It has nothing to do with the gay community. I'd to advocate the best for him, like condoms, like PrEP.

Your insistence on there being no distinction between unsafe and safe consensual sex seems irresponsible to me. People shouldn't care if safe sex is practiced in society? Or if they do care, they can't be okay with casual safe sex being frequent? Could you put these in statements instead of questions for me?

Promiscuous sex increases the risk of STD transmission, condom or no. If you really wanted to lower risk of transmission when having promiscuous sex you could elect for non-penetrative sex. I personally don't see why the cutoff for acceptable risk is placed at condom use. If I placed it at non-penetrative sex would people be fine with that?

I also see a bit of hypocrisy. People demand that we be sex positive because, why? Presumably because there's nothing wrong with an adult having lots of consensual sex. If that adult chooses to practice unsafe sex with other adults who consent to having unsafe sex, suddenly its a problem. And I don't see why. It is still their body and their choice. But now we go from celebrating the behavior to shaming it.

Because I care about other people? Because he would needlessly be putting himself in danger? It has nothing to do with the gay community. I'd to advocate the best for him, like condoms, like PrEP.

I really doubt you give a shit what random Joe #145453 is doing with his body.

Sure if you think absolute freedom or choice is inherently desirable for some reason. We know this isn't the case with kids, so I'm not sure why we'd assume that it applies to adults. Not that freedom is bad (obviously), but freedom as some kind of universal principle doesn't work very well. There doesn't need to be an arbitrary cut off point but there probably does need to be some dialogue about when a principle of self-determination becomes unhealthy on its own. I'm not arguing for a nanny state or social stigma or anything, but it's clear that a lot of people don't make good decisions, and that those were freely chosen doesn't really present much of value about those decisions.

way to be an asshole, honestly. you should leave that attitude in OT and not bring it into this topic.

People make that argument (i care about other people) when it comes to fat shaming too, and honestly I never buy it. If being skeptical of the argument makes me an asshole then so be it.

DOWN

Banned
Promiscuous sex increases the risk of STD transmission, condom or no. If you really wanted to lower risk of transmission when having promiscuous sex you could elect for non-penetrative sex. I personally don't see why the cutoff for acceptable risk is placed at condom use. If I placed it at non-penetrative sex would people be fine with that?

I also see a bit of hypocrisy. People demand that we be sex positive because, why? Presumably because there's nothing wrong with an adult having lots of consensual sex. If that adult chooses to practice unsafe sex with other adults who consent to having unsafe sex, suddenly its a problem. And I don't see why. It is still their body and their choice. But now we go from celebrating the behavior to shaming it.

I really doubt you give a shit what random Joe #145453 is doing with his body.
You are operating under the delusion that unsafe frequent sex, and condom use or other forms of safe sex, have comparable transmission rates and are of similar levels of concern to society and the medical community.

Speaking about relatively low risk safe sex practices positively, and expressing concern with high risk sex, is shaming? Think again.

DOWN

Banned
People make that argument (i care about other people) when it comes to fat shaming too, and honestly I never buy it. If being skeptical of the argument makes me an asshole then so be it.
I care about facts and fact is, safe sex practices are highly effective among sexually active individuals and should be encouraged to combat the health concerns we have as a society that are perpetuated by unsafe sex, not simply frequent sex.

Edit: This shaming/celebrating spin is nonsense. I didn't do either.

garyBig

:(

Yes I need to wear braces according to the dentist.

Hence my question.

Rockin them this very moment.

Me, I'm just soo happy to get (finally) a chance at great (relatively speaking) and redeemably healthy teeth with these things.

I mean I'm wearing them for a reason. And the reason is a really good one. If I didn't start investing now, it would inevitably lead to far more severe complications and investments later.

Also, hi again LettersGaf! Been so busy over the last few weeks that I didn't really follow this thread at all. Did I miss anything?

Meicyn

Gold Member
Cornburrito, your all or nothing approach to risk management is just mindblowing to me. Change a few words, and you may as well be advocating that no one should be driving because despite the fact that seat belts are proven to significantly reduce the number of deaths in car accidents, the only way to avoid having any car accidents is for everyone to just start walking.

:(

Yes I need to wear braces according to the dentist.

Hence my question.

-------

Wonderful weather we're having~

Heh, I had to wear braces for 4 years. (2 years one of these loose things you have to wear 10 hours a day and the remaining years one of those fixed things).

They are fine !

You don't want to look like this, don't you ?
lisa-needs-braces.jpg

Kevyt

braces are fine just get them

Easier said than done, but I will!

Damn. You guys don't forget, huh. Lemme try and find something.

#NeverForget

Me, I'm just soo happy to get (finally) a chance at great (relatively speaking) and redeemably healthy teeth with these things.

I mean I'm wearing them for a reason. And the reason is a really good one. If I didn't start investing now, it would inevitably lead to far more severe complications and investments later.

Also, hi again LettersGaf! Been so busy over the last few weeks that I didn't really follow this thread at all. Did I miss anything?

Hi Gary!!! I bet you look adorable with braces <3

What's new?

Hey, how are you doing?

And PS:
Braces are awesome!

And now I have the "Dental plan, Lisa needs braces" clip in my head. I hope you're happy.
Is that necessarily a bad thing?

Cornburrito, your all or nothing approach to risk management is just mindblowing to me. Change a few words, and you may as well be advocating that no one should be driving because despite the fact that seat belts are proven to significantly reduce the number of deaths in car accidents, the only way to avoid having any car accidents is for everyone to just start walking.

Non-penetrative promiscuous sex, or monogamous sex are not outlandish alternatives. Anyway that's all I'll say. We should probably just move on from this topic.

Sai-kun

Banned
wow a straight guy never seen one of those before!

I've wanted to start a thread to ask a question to all you trans folks out there, but I'm afraid that it will just attract a bunch of shitty posts (and put my ignorance on full display).

The question is this:

Are transgender individuals responsible or should they in good moral conscious to let any potential romantic partners know up front that they are trans? Like, if a man meets a trans woman on Match.com, is it the woman's responsibility to tell the man she is trans before they ever even go out?

I would say it's up to the person to decide when they want to tell anyone that they're trans. They don't owe anybody anything.

ThisOne

I've wanted to start a thread to ask a question to all you trans folks out there, but I'm afraid that it will just attract a bunch of shitty posts (and put my ignorance on full display).

The question is this:

Are transgender individuals responsible or should they in good moral conscious to let any potential romantic partners know up front that they are trans? Like, if a man meets a trans woman on Match.com, is it the woman's responsibility to tell the man she is trans before they ever even go out?

Kinsei

Banned

The question is this:

For a one night stand? No.
When they meet someone/on the first date? No.
Before having sex with someone they plan on being in a long term relationship with? Yes.

The question is this:

I believe so, yes. It would prevent either party from wasting their time. A trans person shouldn't want to put in effort dating someone who isn't open to dating a trans person anyway.

DOWN

Banned
Considering you are in an LGBT thread, I would think very carefully about what you say. You don't just walk into a thread for gay/bi/trans people and outright give them the finger. That's like walking into someone's house and taking a massive shit on the floor.
Chill

Sai-kun

Banned
labeling yourself as 'forbidden fruit' honestly just makes me roll my eyes, whether or not you were kidding. not every queer guy is so eager to jump on a straight guy's dick. if it were in any other thread i wouldn't care, but being that this is the community space for queer people, it reads a bit rudely to say 'hey look i'm forbidden fruit oooh'

Son Of D

The question is this:

Whilst not trans myself I feel that it would be best for the trans person to only tell the person when they feel comfortable about it. If a trans woman is comfortable saying right off the bat that's fine. If she wants to wait a bit first that is also fine. She shouldn't say it immediately if she's uncomfortable about saying it.

DOWN

Banned
As far as I've heard, trans people are advised to tell their potential partners prior to sexual activity, early in the relationship if there's potential for serious involvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom