• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ :)OT6(: We’re taking over -- first the alphabet, then the world!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh that article/thread about Millenial Social Justice bullies...

I hate it when people generalize. ;_;

The article had a bunch of issues, but I thought this was one of the best social justice threads I've seen in OT all year. It addressed something thats been on my mind for a bit and I got a lot of challenging ideas from it as well.

KmA

Buzzfeed, but interesting to read

http://www.buzzfeed.com/husseinkesvani/gay-muslims-in-straight-marriages

edit: of course new page

This is so sad. I've always thought I would end up like one of these guys. It is hard to be gay and Muslim since we're working against a thousand years of scholarly interpretation in which the vast majority of scholars had no clue what sexual orientation is. But luckily that is changing and there is a movement starting so young Muslims won't have to end up in unhappy straight marriages and interpretations that now validate their existence.

Dany

Banned
HxPMjOy.png

People are dumb. Who cares. I like memories. God.

Kevyt

I recorded myself talking and heard the playback. I knew I wasn't gonna like it.

Add me to the list of people who hates the way my voice sounds. I:

Kaiser_Glider

Neo Member
I recorded myself talking and heard the playback. I knew I wasn't gonna like it.

Add me to the list of people who hates the way my voice sounds. I:

Totally normal reaction. You get used to it, if you do it often enough though... such is my case that I do voice-over.

Post it. :D

Razmos

Just played Coming Out Simulator, the dialogue was pretty eh, but I still got chills during the actual coming out scene. Jeez those were some fucked up parents, it makes me sad that parents like that really exist and would treat their children that way.

Of course my mother found out about me in the same way, by snooping around on my computer (rather than texts in the game)

Sai-kun

Banned
Just played Coming Out Simulator, the dialogue was pretty eh, but I still got chills during the actual coming out scene. Jeez those were some fucked up parents, it makes me sad that parents like that really exist and would treat their children that way.

Of course my mother found out about me in the same way, by snooping around on my computer (rather than texts in the game)

Me too. It's a really terrible experience to feel like you have no personal space at home. One of the more fucked up things you can do as a parent, IMO.

It was really interesting to see the number of people on Grindr in the Middle East while I was there. What was also interesting was seeing the occasional male-male couple holding hands in public, but I never once saw a male-female or female-female couple holding hands. Purely anecdotal on my part, but there it is.

Isn't this just an Arab friendship kinda thing? I feel like I've seen a video about Arab guys holding hands and they're always just like "what we're just friends" haha. So cute :3

Kevyt

Seems interesting. Works on mobile.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I played F-Zero GX a lot, but I don't remember this racer. The comments all seem to be making the assumption that the character is supposed to be gay. Personally, I could see that thinking, but he also seemed like such an extreme caricature that I was unsure of what they were going for. Thoughts on this video?

Kaiser_Glider

Neo Member
I played F-Zero GX a lot, but I don't remember this racer. The comments all seem to be making the assumption that the character is supposed to be gay. Personally, I could see that thinking, but he also seemed like such an extreme caricature that I was unsure of what they were going for. Thoughts on this video?

It's implied but I have never found an official statement regarding Baba. Also, F-Zero GX is one of the best* racers of all time, so good on you! :D

*Best racer ever.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Flamboyant with the stereotypical "gay voice" - seems pretty clear to me.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
It's implied but I have never found an official statement regarding Baba. Also, F-Zero GX is one of the best* racers of all time, so good on you! :D

*Best racer ever.

I was pretty addicted to it. I think the only thing I didn't complete were two of the story missions on the last difficulty level. No matter how hard I tried...just didn't happen.

Can't say I got emotional from it, but I definitely hit close to home. Not to invalidate anyone's experiences, but I've heard worse family tales for a kids sexuality than his or even mine. Glad things inproved for him though.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Isn't this just an Arab friendship kinda thing? I feel like I've seen a video about Arab guys holding hands and they're always just like "what we're just friends" haha. So cute :3
Oh, there's a ton of hand-holding in general, but there was the occasional male-male pair where things were clearly beyond mere friendship. It was fascinating to see particularly because there were always men who would play religious police on the lookout for any sign of public shenanigans. If they caught any men with women showing public affection, there'd be hell to pay. Yet there were clear signs of gay male couples and they didn't seem to care. It had a feeling of "look the other way" to it when it came to homosexuality even though it was against the law.

Sai-kun

Banned
I wish friendly, platonic handholding was way more of a thing here in the US. It would make things confusing as hell for us queer folks, but I love holding hands :(

Weirdly, I've never thought much of hand-holding, even as a PDA. Like I know it's common for all kinds of SOs to hold hands, and if I were ever offered a hand to hold by one I wouldn't object, but it's not something that I don't think I'd ever feel compelled to do solely based on my own true feelings. Nothing against it, I just feel more natural initiating other forms of affection.

Razmos

I don't feel comfortable holding another guys hand in public, and I resent seeing straight people flaunting PDA all over the place, where if I was to do the same I'd be worried about repercussions.

alvmew

I don't feel comfortable holding another guys hand in public, and I resent seeing straight people flaunting PDA all over the place, where if I was to do the same I'd be worried about repercussions.

I'm the same with that second point. I have like no irl gay friends so everyone I hang with is straight and most are in relationships. I genuinely don't mind when we hang out and I'm a third, fifth, etc. wheel, but I can't help but feel a little "upset" when they hold hands or kiss and public and it makes me think that if I did that with a boyfriend
gotta fucking get one first, but whatever
, there's a decent enough risk of bodily injury or at least being harassed that it might be smarter not to. Blah.

RM8

I don't hold hands with them, but around here it's rather common to hug your friends.
---

This Mortal Kombat X launch is why I don't care about AAA gaming. I thought the issues were only for us PC players, but I keep reading about crashes and similar stuff on PS4 and XB1. Bleeeeh. Gladly my next "AAA" purchase will be Mario Maker, lol. The last MKX patch was freaking 15GB, that's the size of Ultra Street Fighter IV or Super Smash Bros. 4. Or twice the size of DOA5LR. Or 6 times KOFXIII.

mantidor

Oh, there's a ton of hand-holding in general, but there was the occasional male-male pair where things were clearly beyond mere friendship. It was fascinating to see particularly because there were always men who would play religious police on the lookout for any sign of public shenanigans. If they caught any men with women showing public affection, there'd be hell to pay. Yet there were clear signs of gay male couples and they didn't seem to care. It had a feeling of "look the other way" to it when it came to homosexuality even though it was against the law.

A friend (ex friend really because he's an ass) was in Jordan and did mention this. But it seems is not really gay couples, men bond that way precisely because they can barely touch a woman, so their needs for affection end up seeking men, which is acceptable. I've heard it's similar in India.

I've actually never put much thought in how I feel on PDA and if I'd feel safe doing it because I'm not really sure if I see myself initiating a lot besides maybe hugs and kisses hello and goodbye if we met somewhere public. I suppose I'd feel more comfortable doing it in some locations than others, but I think the biggest hurdle would be myself and whether it's something I'd personally want to go forth with. I've never put too much thought in the smaller more traditional things people often do in relationships.

I guess to me I still see a relationship as a person that you share your life burdens with as you other half so to speak. This means more about the frequent communication, life partnerships, and having a rock on your side and less about the romance, cuddly feelings, and even sex (although I still see all happening to various degrees).

But note that I've never actually been in a relationship so my thoughts aren't worth huge amounts of weight.

This Mortal Kombat X launch is why I don't care about AAA gaming. I thought the issues were only for us PC players, but I keep reading about crashes and similar stuff on PS4 and XB1. Bleeeeh. Gladly my next "AAA" purchase will be Mario Maker, lol. The last MKX patch was freaking 15GB, that's the size of Ultra Street Fighter IV or Super Smash Bros. 4. Or twice the size of DOA5LR. Or 6 times KOFXIII.

I suppose I'm fortunate that the games that interest me are almost never AAA games (and besides I don't own a console newer than a Wii and my laptop is losing the ability to run current big AAA stuff).

The last major game I bought was A Link Between Worlds which came with my 3DS. On PC it was Dark Souls. Before that it was my free copy of Skyrim back when I worked at Best Buy.

DOWN

Banned
I hold hands with one of my two friends because she's a girl so it's no worry, but I don't think I'd be comfortable doing it with a boyfriend anytime soon.

Kevyt

The last major game I bought was A Link Between Worlds which came with my 3DS. On PC it was Dark Souls. Before that it was my free copy of Skyrim back when I worked at Best Buy.

I've been locked on Dark Souls... ;_;

I keep getting invaded in Anor Londo with humanity on. Thought the multiplayer aspect would be dead with Dark Souls II scholar of the first sin.

Do you still play DS?

I hold hands with one of my two friends because she's a girl so it's no worry, but I don't think I'd be comfortable doing it with a boyfriend anytime soon.

But I wanna hold hands with you in public... :(

My laptop was never really able to run Dark Souls faster than 15 FPS, so it felt too weird. I'm not an FPS whore but if its not 25 or ideally 30 (60 if possible of course) then it's too off. I'd like to build something in a year or two and if so it'll get a revisit for sure.

RM8

I suppose I'm fortunate that the games that interest me are almost never AAA games (and besides I don't own a console newer than a Wii and my laptop is losing the ability to run current big AAA stuff).

Same, the games I like are usually mid or low budget. The one that isn't this year (MKX) is the one with the terrible launch, lol. Also I liked Demon's Souls but I never played any other Souls games. I'll probably buy DS soon.

mantidor

My friend is slut-shaming me for having casual sex D: it's starting to annoy me, I don't even do it that much! and the guy is seeing two people at the same time right now... Hypocrite.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Hand-holding and whatnot was something I rolled my eyes at in the past, but ever since my bf hooked his arm into mine on our first date, it's become a comfort and a nice little confidence booster.

Even with Seattle's slightly more progressive population, there are lgbt-related crimes on the news all the time and I've gotten verbal harassment now and then, but that shit ain't going to cause me to treat my SO any differently than the next couple.

from earlier this month:

Police Constable Luke Watson dyed his hair pink this week to raise awareness for the LGBT community. But his colorful hairdo will last him for at least another three weeks because of international support he’s been shown on social media.

“The response has been completely overwhelming. It’s amazing,” Watson said. “I have no problem keeping it going and keeping the conversation out there.”

Willmer said his friend promised to maintain his new hair color for six months if comedian Ellen DeGeneres invites them onto her show.

I think the pink hair looks good on him.

My friend is slut-shaming me for having casual sex D: it's starting to annoy me, I don't even do it that much! and the guy is seeing two people at the same time right now... Hypocrite.

Like making jabs at you (which is playful but would grow old fast) or legit throwing shade your way for it?

Sai-kun

Banned

Call it out bruh. Slut shaming is the stupidest fucking thing in the world

"Ha ha you're having sex!!!"

@yall who don't/can't hold hands - sorry :( that's a real damn shame, and I totally empathize. I hope that your communities grow into places where you feel safe and okay to show affection like that.

Why? The U.S. Seems to have problems with people with tatts and piercings. Maybe in ye olde times they symbolized being in a gang or a bad seed etc... But it is 2015.

Well, cops here in Germany are not allowed to show their tattoos during work, even when they're not offensive or otherwise objectionable in any way.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I simply don't care about hand holding. Same for PDA. I'm more of a private person.

So I'm probably gonna...
4xZvzqZ.gif

Kevyt

My laptop was never really able to run Dark Souls faster than 15 FPS, so it felt too weird. I'm not an FPS whore but if its not 25 or ideally 30 (60 if possible of course) then it's too off. I'd like to build something in a year or two and if so it'll get a revisit for sure.

I see. Well it's a fun game if you enjoy constant punishment but it's very rewarding.

Ignore him/her. Doesn't sound like a good friend tbh.

from earlier this month:

I think the pink hair looks good on him.

On the second picture he kind of looks like Putin.

I'll be waiting...

robin_crying_gif_by_namgis-d5zpvrb.gif

:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom