• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ :)OT6(: We’re taking over -- first the alphabet, then the world!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ephesos

Neo Member
the notion that dating / hookup-preferences are racist / ageist / whatever is so tiring ...
i dont date women. am i sexist?

Razmos

Wouldn't you find racist/shallow people on straight dating apps as well?

I imagine it just looks more prevalent in the gay community because there are less of us and therefore it's more concentrated

Vitanimus

???

I don't understand

should we not discuss these things because they're not positive? should we not post things from personal experience, like erebus did?

the notion that dating / hookup-preferences are racist / ageist / whatever is so tiring ...
i dont date women. am i sexist?

tumblr_inline_mwh1jwQdq91qf95xj.gif

Ephesos

Neo Member
Gender and race are not even close to the same thing same with age.

and not wanting to date someone of a specific race and being racist are also not even close to the same thing. words have meaning, although we like to throw them around on the internet for cheap shock-value

and not wanting to date someone of a specific race and being racist are also not even close to the same thing. words have meaning, although we like to throw them around on the internet for cheap shock-value
Labeling an entire group of people as unnatractive because of their race is fucking shitty and racist. Not only that, but not wanting to date someone because of their race? gross.

If someone isn't gay how do they have insight on the gay community?

8be5ead6.gif
If they have enough exposure and look into stuff enough its very possible. I'm black, but for various reasons I feel like I've missed a lot of aspects of the issues of the black community until they've been pointed out and explained. My viewpoint in life, where I lived, etc. made me not witness or blind to some of these issues. Issues that I know for a fact I could get schooled on by quite a few nonblacks.

Interestingly enough I think this is been to my advantage in a lot of ways, but it's still something that I like on and try to understand a little bit more about.

Vitanimus

I also don't understand this

you don't think not being into someone primary because of their skin colour isn't lowkey racist?

Is there anyone here who is now or ever was a repressed bisexual?
Ive been pretty gay since my sexually awakened, but Ive known a few guys who went from saying they were gay to realizing that they were bi/pan. Not as many as thos3 who go the other direction (bi/pan to gay) but it happens.

I think that it can be racist attitudes that lead people to not prefer dark skin, but I don't think the individuals with those preferences are racist. What we find attractive is culturally influenced to a large degree.
The thing that always bothered me is that it seems rare for other common attributes to be called out as a thing they aren't attractted to to the point that they absolutely refuse to have sex or date the person. This could be my inexperence with large groups of gays, but I've never heard a person say or claim that they refuse to date redheads, or fool around with a brunette. I know that I shouldn't expect for other people to have the same views of attractiveness that I do, but as a person who has never really been turned off from a person just because they were of a certain race, it does bother me. The counterargument is body types. Ill admit that there are some bodytypes that I'm not attracted to. But I won't say that they're a total no go. If I like the person themself, then other sides matter less.

Sai-kun

Banned
I think that it can be racist attitudes that lead people to not prefer dark skin, but I don't think the individuals with those preferences are racist. What we find attractive is culturally influenced to a large degree.

Yeah, I can definitely get behind that. I wonder how we can get people to start questioning/second guessing their attractions (well, lack of) and where that feeling comes from.

Ephesos

Neo Member
we might have different definitions of racism. what happened in ferguson or baltimore is not the same what happens on grindr, imo. maybe i'm a superficial a-hole in this regard, with a too narrow definition.

Crayons

Banned
Ive been pretty gay since my sexually awakened, but Ive known a few guys who went from saying they were gay to realizing that they were bi/pan. Not as many as thos3 who go the other direction (bi/pan to gay) nut it happens.
I was more looking for someone who was outwardly straight, but actually bisexual

Me I guess. I always told myself I was straight guy when I was checking out other guys.

My friend claims to be straight, but I think he's actually bisexual because he drops these little hints. When you realized that you were actually bisexual, but still wanted to remain in the closet, but still craved intimacy, what would you do?

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member

So...I'd say that generalizing a group of people (categorized by race) and seeing them on the whole as undesirable is, well, frankly, racist. But I'd also say that such feelings likely don't originate in any individual but rather are the result of cultural conditioning that presents certain images as attractive and others as not. However, I think it's up to the individual to recognize how cultural values have impacted their perception and to be conscious of this. Personally, I think we'd make some noticeable progress if media representation (via models, Hollywood glamor, TV casts, and even other media like books) started using more diverse imagery.

Now, as for the distinction between sex, I admit, I separate attraction to a sex (and/or gender) from attraction to a race because I see sex attraction as more closely tied to biology (even if it has elements of cultural conditioning). I don't see "race attraction" as something anyone is born with to the same degree, if it's biological at all (and not just early-age cultural conditioning).

EDIT: Kind of beaten by CornBurrito and Sai-kun.

Also, read The Velvet Rage, people!

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/49418.The_Velvet_Rage

It's a great book.

I remember beginning to read this book and then stopping. I just did not like what I was reading. I can't remember quite why I stopped, but I think I felt it was a bit stereotypical/wasn't describing who I was. But then again, given how (confusingly) graysexual I am at this point in my life, maybe it wasn't written to be understood by me.

Kinsei

Banned
My friend claims to be straight, but I think he's actually bisexual because he drops these little hints. When you realized that you were actually bisexual, but still wanted to remain in the closet, but still craved intimacy, what would you do?

No clue, I've never been with anyone.

we might have different definitions of racism. what happened in ferguson or baltimore is not the same what happens on grindr, imo. maybe i'm a superficial a-hole in this regard, with a too narrow definition.

Shooting a man on sight thanks to prior racial views may not be on the same level as, say, turning away one resume vs. another similar credentialed resume because one applicant is named Matthew and the other is named Juanita, but it's still something that needs to be examined and addressed. There's different levels to almost everything.

Sai-kun

Banned

yikes, lol. u 4 real??

I was more looking for someone who was outwardly straight, but actually bisexual

We might have different definitions of repressed? I was always pretty okay with telling myself I was attracted to dudes, but I never told anyone at either of my high schools until senior year when I started dating a guy.

As far as 'craving intimacy' uhhhh I had my hands, so IDK.

RM8

I find all races attractive and I don't use those apps, but I don't think not being into _____ means you're labeling it as unattractive. And people on hook up sites are unsurprisingly specific about what they're looking for, I guess. Perhaps it's all in how it's worded?

Crayons

Banned
No clue, I've never been with anyone.

Oh.
Me neither
Thanks anyway

We might have different definitions of repressed? I was always pretty okay with telling myself I was attracted to dudes, but I never told anyone at either of my high schools until senior year when I started dating a guy.

If anyone asks my friend says he's straight. He pays attention to (and sleeps with) lots of girls.

However, his YouTube history is a bit questionable...

I'm kinda feeling angry at all gay men right now. Maybe cuz I was cheated on. Bareback of all things too. Ugh.

I'm starting to accept that I'm better off alone and hooking up with guys for sex. As that's what guys seem to want.

I'm kinda feeling angry at all gay men right now. Maybe cuz I was cheated on. Bareback of all things too. Ugh.

I'm starting to accept that I'm better off alone and hooking up with guys for sex. As that's what guys seem to want.

Take a break from the dating scene. Try to enjoy yourself, do activities to get your mind off it. Play some Games, maybe?

Sai-kun

Banned
Take a break from the dating scene. Try to enjoy yourself, do activities to get your mind off it. Play some Games, maybe?

Definitely do this. Just try to forget dating. You don't need to be out there looking for love immediately. Take some time for yourself and to remind yourself of the good stuff in life.

yikes, lol. u 4 real??

Hands? Ambidextrous? lol

You're just upset and rightfully so, you just need to take time for yourself and just do you.
The right person will come along when the time is right.

Kevyt

I hate when people generalize an entire group based on their own experiences. That's a very faulty way of thinking. Close minded and erratic too. That kind of logic is no better than hateful bigots who say all gays are pedophiles.

Extremely stupid, foolish and ignorant.

If someone wants to state a hasty generalization as a definite conclusion, by all means that person can make such judgement. However, they're only speaking for themselves and nothing more.

I hate when people generalize an entire group based on their own experiences. That's a very faulty way of thinking. Close minded and erratic too. That kind of logic is no better than hateful bigots who say all gays are pedophiles.

Extremely stupid, foolish and ignorant.

If someone wants to state a hasty generalization as a definite conclusion, by all means that person can make such judgement. However, they're only speaking for themselves and nothing more.

There's literally nothing wrong with generalizing in some contexts. Talking about issues a community faces requires generalizing.

Or do you also take issue with statements like "America has a race issue" since that generalizes a whole country?

Vitanimus

the only thing I can take away from this last page is that suddenly pointing out rather obvious flaws in the gay community is suddenly perpetuating negative stereotypes that shouldn't be voiced

like, shock horror, some gays can be sluts, racist, xenophobic, all of the above etc.

sure you can do the whole "but all communities do this!" but the lgbt+ community is already small already and should be well aware of these issues and be magnified.

DOWN

Banned
I recall OK Cupid released their stats on their members and all of the categories were "racist" but gay men and women were less so than straight members. I'd assume Grindr attracts more box-checking superficial interests since it is basically about going for lust.

Kevyt

There's literally nothing wrong with generalizing in some contexts. Talking about issues a community faces requires generalizing.

Or do you also take issue with statements like "America has a race issue" since that generalizes a whole country?

No it doesn't.

Talking about race issues in the US is different from saying "x group of people are ___" or "everyone in x group is ____"

When you say "all gay men are ___" you're generalizing. If anecdotes are the best evidence you have for such conclusion in your argument then you've committed a fallacy, two to be exact.

Do you think bisexuals don't have insight into gays?

Nah, they can play straight when the going gets tough.
i might be kidding

If anecdotes are the best evidence you have for such conclusion in your argument then you've committed a fallacy, two to be exact.
How many anecdotes does it take to be a fact? If 9 out of 10 gays experience the same thing, isn't it safe to say that thing is true?

VegiHam

Gaycommunity is too freaking nebulous a term, yo. Y'all mean, like, American gays? Western Gays? Over 30 gays? A lot of this stuff I'm being told is endemic is stuff I've not experienced in UK guys under 25, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom