• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ :)OT6(: We’re taking over -- first the alphabet, then the world!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razmos

Gaycommunity is too freaking nebulous a term, yo. Y'aal mean, like, American gays? Western Gays? Over 30 gays? A lot of this stuff I'm being told is endemic is stuff I've not experienced in UK guys under 25, for example.
I haven't experienced it either, in any of the places I've been. I've seen a couple "no girly guys" but never anyone saying "No blacks" or anything

Anyway, this made me laugh (some NSFW language)

Vitanimus

No it doesn't.

Talking about race issues in the US is different from saying "x group of people are ___" or "everyone in x group is ____"

When you say "all gay men are ___" you're generalizing. If anecdotes are the best evidence you have for such conclusion in your argument then you've committed a fallacy, two to be exact.

still trying to find the post where they said "all gay men are ____"

at best, they said "it's common among gay men"

VegiHam

I haven't experienced it either, in any of the places I've been. I've seen a couple "no girly guys" but never anyone saying "No blacks" or anything

Anyway, this made me laugh (some NSFW language)

Yep, stuff like racism, sexism, a defult of poor relationships with our fathers? I don't know it. The closest would body body image stuff; which seems about as common in Gay men as in, uh, straight women.

It's a problem we have period rather you feel it might be generalizing or not is besides the point. The whole deflecting of it gives me "not all men" vibes.
I mean sure everyone isn't like that but it's prevalent enough where various people are saying the same thing.

Sai-kun

Banned
sure you can do the whole "but all communities do this!" but the lgbt+ community is already small already and should be well aware of these issues and be magnified.

i'm just not sure that it's big enough of an issue for gay men specifically to start painting a community like that. it's alright though, i said what i had to say. it was more about the tone of it, which is ironic for me, i know.

Nah, they can play straight when the going gets tough.
i might be kidding

your posts are always so lame lol. passing straight isn't exactly the best privilege. i'm still proud of my identity and having taken the time to accept myself, and it sucks to just be considered 'normal' or whatever.

Vitanimus

i'm just not sure that it's big enough of an issue for gay men specifically to start painting a community like that. it's alright though, i said what i had to say. it was more about the tone of it, which is ironic for me, i know.

well, alright then

and it sucks to just be considered 'normal' or whatever.

... alright then

iWK1jdaYzlNYl.gif

No it doesn't.

Talking about race issues in the US is different from saying "x group of people are ___" or "everyone in x group is ____"

When you say "all gay men are ___" you're generalizing. If anecdotes are the best evidence you have for such conclusion in your argument then you've committed a fallacy, two to be exact.

You are the only one using the word all. One guy used "most" in frustration. Who gives a fuck. Bitching about his word choice to avoid talking about a legit issue.

I was more looking for someone who was outwardly straight, but actually bisexual

My friend claims to be straight, but I think he's actually bisexual because he drops these little hints. When you realized that you were actually bisexual, but still wanted to remain in the closet, but still craved intimacy, what would you do?

Me me me *raise hand

I'm not out of the closet yet, and I think I would prefer it to stay that way, at least until I can stand on my two feet. And yet, often I felt the urge to reveal my secret to everyone I know. So, sometimes when I hang out with some friends, I drop subtle hints, so they won't be too surprised when I finally tell them.

Even though I'm still in the closet, I am actually kinda in a relationship atm. Friends with benefits kind of relationship. so there is that. As when he is not available, my closest friend would do me just fine.

Generalizing is bad. Except humans. They suck :(

No it isn't. Doctors generalize when diagnosing an illness based on symptoms. Sociologists generalize when talking about social groups. Linguists generalize when talking about language. You generalize when you call a certain set of small rounded fruit "apples".

Kevyt

Nah, they can play straight when the going gets tough.
i might be kidding

How many anecdotes does it take to be a fact? If 9 out of 10 gays experience the same thing, isn't it safe to say that thing is true?

If it's 9/10 you still can't say "all" or everyone.

still trying to find the post where they said "all gay men are ____"

at best, they said "it's common among gay men"

I was not referring to a post, I was just expressing my disdain for hasty generalizations. Likewise, you don't have to use the word "all" in your sentence to make a generalization. It's semantics.

Any advice appreciated:

Met a girl at work and spoke with her a few times over the past month. We both seemed to have good conversations, but no obvious flirting. She was transferred to another site.

Last week, after the transfer, she came to my site to do extra work. We chatted for a bit, and I was thinking about asking her out. She did look like she needed to head out, so I didn't ask. She accidentally broke an old cheap picture frame, and I was about to throw it out until the older staff wanted to keep it because of sentimental reasons (it's absolutely incongruous with the rest of the room).

I'm amused by the old staff would work so hard to keep the portrait. Is that be something I can email her with and maybe lead to me asking her out?

Thanks!

Crayons

Banned
No it isn't. Doctors generalize when diagnosing an illness based on symptoms. Sociologists generalize when talking about social groups. Linguists generalize when talking about language. You generalize when you call a certain set of small rounded fruit "apples".
I'm not talking about those things though

Is this really a thing? I don't think being annoyed at someone saying "most gay men are unfaithful jerks" is the same as pretending there are no issues.

It is, many times I have seen conversations on the gay community that started off better than that have the same result.

Talk about racism?: Don't generalize, heteros exhibit that behavior too.
Talk about the bigotry towards the trans community?: Don't generalize, some of us support them.

Mostly anything negative that is brought up is met with defense. It's not true all the time but it happens more than it should.

Kevyt

You are the only one using the word all. One guy used "most" in frustration. Who gives a fuck. Bitching about his word choice to avoid talking about a legit issue.

Bitching about who or what? What guy? Look, I only skimmed through the last pages and didn't pay attention to who said what. I only read something about if gays are more promiscuous or not. I then said to myself, oh let me post something on hasty generalizations of which I have a strong disdain of.

You call that bitching? Okay, I guess that's one way to put it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I would say that guy is in his late 20s in the first pic and late 30s in the second pic.

I can see why he would want to wash out his faaaace.

Razmos

Why is the guy who made this holding his arms weird tho

He looks better in pics where his face isn't intentionally washed out imo

AR-140329468.jpg
Hmm, love that length of stubble, and he has pretty eyes.

I would say that guy is in his late 20s in the first pic and late 30s in the second pic.

I can see why he would want to wash out his faaaace.
Wow really? I'd say he looks 20/early 20's in the first pic and late 20's in the second.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Any advice appreciated:

Met a girl at work and spoke with her a few times over the past month. We both seemed to have good conversations, but no obvious flirting. She was transferred to another site.

Last week, after the transfer, she came to my site to do extra work. We chatted for a bit, and I was thinking about asking her out. She did look like she needed to head out, so I didn't ask. She accidentally broke an old cheap picture frame, and I was about to throw it out until the older staff wanted to keep it because of sentimental reasons (it's absolutely incongruous with the rest of the room).

I'm amused by the old staff would work so hard to keep the portrait. Is that be something I can email her with and maybe lead to me asking her out?

Thanks!

Hmm...it sounds like you could phrase it in such a way that you could send an email. It depends on how big of a deal the broken frame was to her. If it was quickly dismissed, then your email is going to seem socially odd and/or obviously motivated by something else. That said, if you're interested in this person, just go ahead and try to ask her out! You could lead with the frame thing if you can find a humorous way of presenting it and then ask her out. Or you could just contact her regardless. If you're unsure of whether she was feeling what you were, well...you could wait for her to return to your site again, send the email about the frame and see if she gives a response that suggests "Yeah, I want to keep this conversation going!", or you could just ask her. Personally, if you want a date much more than want anything else with her (friendship/acquaintanceship), I suggest just being direct, since I think people actually appreciate that (I know I do). But it sounds like you have the ability to test the waters more if you'd like. Good luck!

KmA

It is, many times I have seen conversations on the gay community that started off better than that have the same result.

Talk about racism?: Don't generalize, heteros exhibit that behavior too.
Talk about the bigotry towards the trans community?: Don't generalize, some of us support them.

Mostly anything negative that is brought up is met with defense. It's not true all the time but it happens more than it should.

The truth is these issues affect all of us as a culture of gays. By trying to deflect the issue as a generalization, its distancing yourself from the problem. Oh I'm not racist, oh I'm not sexist, oh I'm not ________. Our culture is all of those things so in all likelihood, we unintentionally perpetuate those negative ideas.

Gays notice heteronormativity all the time and its so easy to call out if you're gay because it's visible to you. If you're a white gay, you probably don't notice the racism so prevalent in the culture ("I have a sassy black woman inside of me!"). If you're a gay guy, you don't notice the sexism towards women in the community.

Our lived experiences are something we all should listen to. Dismissing them as bs evidence because it might "generalize" the community is bogus. There's a huge difference of a gay person noticing a problem in their community and calling focus to it than a non-lgbtqia+ individual. Honestly, start generalizing (within the community, not outside of it) if it gets people talking.

Bitching about who or what? What guy? Look, I only skimmed through the last pages and didn't pay attention to who said what. I only read something about if gays are more promiscuous or not. I then said to myself, oh let me post something on hasty generalizations of which I have a strong disdain of.

You call that bitching? Okay, I guess that's one way to put it.

Statistically gays are more promiscuous though aren't they?

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Regarding the discussion about racism and other problems within the gay community, it seems a lot of the responses (and discussion) are focused on the "gay" (i.e., same-sex male relations) community and is mostly coming from male-identified people (correct me if I'm wrong about the genders of the posters, I'm still learning). Just out of curiosity, since I know there are people here who are part of other communities and who are female-identified, if any of you all see this post: would you characterize same-sex female relations and/or genderqueer relations as having similar problems to the same degree (in reality or notoriety)?

If anyone wants to comment about heterosexual relations, you're welcome to as well, though I think I have a better sense of how that works and I believe someone commented above about it.

The truth is these issues affect all of us as a culture of gays. By trying to deflect the issue as a generalization, its distancing yourself from the problem. Oh I'm not racist, oh I'm not sexist, oh I'm not ________. Our culture is all of those things so in all likelihood, we unintentionally perpetuate those negative ideas.

Gays notice heteronormativity all the time and its so easy to call out if you're gay because it's visible to you. If you're a white gay, you probably don't notice the racism so prevalent in the culture ("I have a sassy black woman inside of me!"). If you're a gay guy, you don't notice the sexism towards women in the community.

Our lived experiences are something we all should listen to. Dismissing them as bs evidence because it might "generalize" the community is bogus. There's a huge difference of a gay person noticing a problem in their community and calling focus to it than a non-lgbtqia+ individual. Honestly, start generalizing (within the community, not outside of it) if it gets people talking.

2WEQg.gif

This is exactly on point.
I too feel that instead of being the defense force that shows a blemish on our not so perfect social way of life how about we talk about it?

I mean it doesn't hurt to actually talk about these things and try to make them better.
But people will always see things that doesn't directly affect them less worthy than the issues that do.

Kevyt

Statistically gays are more promiscuous though aren't they?

I would say as promiscuous as heterosexual males. Yet, this is mere speculation on my part.

I'm also under the impression that because the LGBTQIA+ community is small compared to heterosexuals, outliers and extreme cases are more likely to shock people and easier for people to generalize. You don't necessarily see the same thing happening or the same conversation for heterosexual males, at least not to the same degree.

And I'm not saying that because heterosexuals also do it, then it's okay for gays too. All I'm saying is that promiscuity is not exclusive to gay males. Even though it might appear that gays are more promiscuous, I'm willing to challenge that judgement.

berzeli

Banned
Crikey, this thread sure took a turn and I'm sorry to bring it up again since y'all seem to have moved on to posting gifs from TV shows I've never heard of.

I was trying to find a study (because this thread is in some dire need of actual statistics) that showed the difference between the imagined infidelity of heterosexual couples versus male-male couples and female-female couples and the actual infidelity rate (albeit self reported). It wasn't perfect (mostly due to sample size) but it made for some really fun reading, apparently people think that lesbians aren't unfaithful (they are, but less than everyone else), gay men unsurprisingly were perceived as total sluts (they kind of were, but not statistically significantly more than heteros) and surprisingly (to some) straight women cheat too.

But unfortunately that endeavour came to a halt since there is a limit to how many blatantly homophobic (e.g. family research council) websites I can stand seeing in my search results before I feel like punching a wall. Combining that with having to dig through bullshit evolutionary psychology papers for their references to find that they too are bullshit evolutionary psychology which wasn't much fun either so I kind of gave up.

The fine folks at the Kinsey institute only had statistics on heterosexual monogamous couples:
Almost one-quarter of men (23.2%) and 19.2% of women indicated that they had ‘‘cheated’’ during their current relationship (i.e., engaged in sexual interactions with someone other than their partner that could jeopardize, or hurt, their relationship
I should note that the percentage difference between women and men is deemed not significant in the study, so don't get hung up on the exact numbers.

Unfortunately for the reasons stated above (and then some), finding anything resembling reliable statistics for the LGBT community proved impossible but most studies I read seemed to agree that cheating was more common among gay men and less common among gay women and also that the infidelity rates among all types of couples is decreasing. The reason I don't provide even ballpark figures is that that the infidelity rate among e.g. gay men varied between 29% to figures over 100% (well technically "seven times that of heterosexual men"). I know I probably should link the "study" (fucking bullshit evolutionary psychology...) from which that last gem came from but I don't want to encourage people to find bad science.

So where as I think it is fair to state there is an issue with infidelity among gay men, I don't think it is fair to say that it is somehow exponentially worse in our community.

Now it is a bit too late over here (and my insomnia can only sustain my trawling through the web for oh so long), so if someone else wants to tackle the very real problems with racism, sexism, transphobia and biphobia within the LGBT community, feel free to do so.

Hmm...it sounds like you could phrase it in such a way that you could send an email. It depends on how big of a deal the broken frame was to her. If it was quickly dismissed, then your email is going to seem socially odd and/or obviously motivated by something else. That said, if you're interested in this person, just go ahead and try to ask her out! You could lead with the frame thing if you can find a humorous way of presenting it and then ask her out. Or you could just contact her regardless. If you're unsure of whether she was feeling what you were, well...you could wait for her to return to your site again, send the email about the frame and see if she gives a response that suggests "Yeah, I want to keep this conversation going!", or you could just ask her. Personally, if you want a date much more than want anything else with her (friendship/acquaintanceship), I suggest just being direct, since I think people actually appreciate that (I know I do). But it sounds like you have the ability to test the waters more if you'd like. Good luck!
Awesome feedback!

Unfortunately she's not coming back to my site. She came back that one time after her transfer out because she wanted to wrap up a project.

Good point on it sounding potentially awkward. It was the end of the day, and she stopped by to say that she had broken the frame. I actually don't know how big a deal it was for her back because I quickly volunteered to deal with it. Then again, she looked like she wanted to head out.

Maybe I can just phrase it like an FYI since I told her I would throw it away but the senior staff are planning on fixing it up in good humor. Then see if she wants to keep the conversation going like you said.

Crikey, this thread sure took a turn and I'm sorry to bring it up again since y'all seem to have moved on to posting gifs from TV shows I've never heard of.

I was trying to find a study (because this thread is in some dire need of actual statistics) that showed the difference between the imagined infidelity of heterosexual couples versus male-male couples and female-female couples and the actual infidelity rate (albeit self reported). It wasn't perfect (mostly due to sample size) but it made for some really fun reading, apparently people think that lesbians aren't unfaithful (they are, but less than everyone else), gay men unsurprisingly were perceived as total sluts (they kind of were, but not statistically significantly more than heteros) and surprisingly (to some) straight women cheat too.

But unfortunately that endeavour came to a halt since there is a limit to how many blatantly homophobic (e.g. family research council) websites I can stand seeing in my search results before I feel like punching a wall. Combining that with having to dig through bullshit evolutionary psychology papers for their references to find that they too are bullshit evolutionary psychology which wasn't much fun either so I kind of gave up.

The fine folks at the Kinsey institute only had statistics on heterosexual monogamous couples:

I should note that the percentage difference between women and men is deemed not significant in the study, so don't get hung up on the exact numbers.

Unfortunately for the reasons stated above (and then some), finding anything resembling reliable statistics for the LGBT community proved impossible but most studies I read seemed to agree that cheating was more common among gay men and less common among gay women and also that the infidelity rates among all types of couples is decreasing. The reason I don't provide even ballpark figures is that that the infidelity rate among e.g. gay men varied between 29% to figures over 100% (well technically "seven times that of heterosexual men"). I know I probably should link the "study" (fucking bullshit evolutionary psychology...) from which that last gem came from but I don't want to encourage people to find bad science.

So where as I think it is fair to state there is an issue with infidelity among gay men, I don't think it is fair to say that it is somehow exponentially worse in our community.

Now it is a bit too late over here (and my insomnia can only sustain my trawling through the web for oh so long), so if someone else wants to tackle the very real problems with racism, sexism, transphobia and biphobia within the LGBT community, feel free to do so.

It's not too late and this is a good contribution and it gives insight. I think since it's just males it becomes more magnified.

About the isms in our community I think we should take them more seriously.
We need to practice what we preach when it comes to equality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom