• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ :)OT6(: We’re taking over -- first the alphabet, then the world!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
A new Youtuber has confirmed his club membership. Joey Graceffa came out in this music video for his song, which sounds decidedly like Youtube pop, if that's a genre. I found the video/song to be meh-ok with some cute and sad highlights. On a different note, I thought the kiss at the end (the part begins around 3:07) was surprisingly attractive. He posted a more direct "coming out" video after that. He's one of the bigger Youtube personalities, so I thought it was worth sharing, even if it was speculated for years.

EDIT: Heh...I forgot that he has a gaming channel, too. Small chance he's a GAF lurker?
If so, hi Joey! Congrats!

Meicyn

Gold Member
Only played a little of The Witcher 3 so far and it already looks like GOTY material. Have to get back to writing my stupid essay, but yeah... This game is going to consume my time for awhile.

Kevyt

A new Youtuber has confirmed his club membership. Joey Graceffa came out in this music video for his song, which sounds decidedly like Youtube pop, if that's a genre. I found the video/song to be meh-ok with some cute and sad highlights. On a different note, I thought the kiss at the end (the part begins around 3:07) was surprisingly attractive. He posted a more direct "coming out" video after that. He's one of the bigger Youtube personalities, so I thought it was worth sharing, even if it was speculated for years.

EDIT: Heh...I forgot that he has a gaming channel, too. Small chance he's a GAF lurker?

I'm not surprised though. It was pretty obvious imo.

Only played a little of The Witcher 3 so far and it already looks like GOTY material. Have to get back to writing my stupid essay, but yeah... This game is going to consume my time for awhile.

Not surprised given all the reviews it has gotten. I still have to play Witcher 1 and 2.

red13th

Alright my mother "outed" me to my father (with my permission because of, like, getting married in 3 months and all, would be weird not to invite him) and he was okay with that, said it makes no difference. Uneventful, but cool, I suppose.

Alrus

Honestly it was very very obvious, I wonder why he waited so long. But good for him :)

I really don't care for his videos though, but I find a lot of Youtube stars very grating.

Dany

Banned
Alright my mother "outed" me to my father (with my permission because of, like, getting married in 3 months and all, would be weird not to invite him) and he was okay with that, said it makes no difference. Uneventful, but cool, I suppose.

When did you tell your mom. Why didnt you do it?

red13th

When did you tell your mom. Why didnt you do it?

My mother has known for 8 years already, I think? She asked if I was gay (like it wasn't obvious) and I said yes. Was a rough few months, Catholicism and all.
My father is weird, he's either at work or drunk (he's a happy drunk though), we have a weird relationship. We don't talk much, I was going to tell him myself but my mother wanted to, so I let her.

Dany

Banned
My mother has known for 8 years already, I think? She asked if I was gay (like it wasn't obvious) and I said yes. Was a rough few months, Catholicism and all.
My father is weird, he's either at work or drunk (he's a happy drunk though), we have a weird relationship. We don't talk much, I was going to tell him myself but my mother wanted to, so I let her.

It's been like 2 years since I told my mom. My dad was working and a sad drunk, now he is just a sad drunk. Probably gonna end up doing the same as you when its my time.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not surprised though. It was pretty obvious imo

Honestly it was very very obvious, I wonder why he waited so long. But good for him :)

I really don't care for his videos though, but I find a lot of Youtube stars very grating.

Yeah, the very first video I watched, I thought that he was probably gay. In his actual coming out video, he talks about needing time for self-acceptance, which I understand. Also, when you have 4+ million people watching you (and your career is based on your popularity), I imagine it must be really difficult to actually make it official due to (irrational?) fears that maybe your audience (and thus livelihood) could be impacted. He also apparently wasn't out to some people back home, so that was probably a factor, too.

I agree about his videos. I've never really enjoyed them or understood his popularity, but if there's an audience, I'm glad he found it.

Congrats on the upcoming wedding! That's really exciting. Also, congrats on being out to both parents!

Delio

This community is not my typical stomping grounds but this is the only place on GAF that has mentioned blurryface in any capacity so by default this is the best place on GAF

Oh a Twenty one pilots fan. Welcome to the fold.

tumblr_inline_mn4q2zALSF1rmxdlv.gif

red13th

Thanks all, I guess when you have the support of your family it's easier.
Next step is coming out at work. Will be great not having my friends try to include me in their talks about girls.

Alrus

Yeah, the very first video I watched, I thought that he was probably gay. In his actual coming out video, he talks about needing time for self-acceptance, which I understand. Also, when you have 4+ million people watching you (and your career is based on your popularity), I imagine it must be really difficult to actually make it official due to (irrational?) fears that maybe your audience (and thus livelihood) could be impacted. He also apparently wasn't out to some people back home, so that was probably a factor, too.

I agree about his videos. I've never really enjoyed them or understood his popularity, but if there's an audience, I'm glad he found it.

He was scared of losing his audience? Has seen how many subscribers Tyler Oakley has >.>

I admit I'm sometimes kind of envious of Youtube stars, you get to earn tons of money by pretty much dicking around a whole lot. But I don't think I'd like the exposure or the lack of certainty about my future.

Edit: Hadn't listend to Joey's song...
Nm3mS4RKOhteg.gif

I wish youtubers didn't try to sing :/

This came up in my feed today I was like....
ieofpuFLsJdHJ.gif

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
He was scared of losing his audience? Has seen how many subscribers Tyler Oakley has >.>

I admit I'm sometimes kind of envious of Youtube stars, you get to earn tons of money by pretty much dicking around a whole lot. But I don't think I'd like the exposure or the lack of certainty about my future.

Ah, my bad, I think I was misleading. He didn't say he was scared for that reason. That's just me guessing the thought crossed his mind. Kind of like when you have family or friends that you KNOW won't judge you yet you still fear it. It was just pure speculation on my part. Maybe I'm projecting. The reason he gave was just him needing more time to accept himself. He also talked about how it's hard to tell people you've previously lied to (he was referring to family/friends back home); I could see this applying to viewers to some degree.

The Youtube success formula seems to be: Personality*0.5 + Attractive_to_tween_audience*0.5 = Followers.

Alrus

Ah, my bad, I think I was misleading. He didn't say he was scared for that reason. That's just me guessing the thought crossed his mind. Kind of like when you have family or friends that you KNOW won't judge you yet you still fear it. It was just pure speculation on my part. Maybe I'm projecting. The reason he gave was just him needing more time to accept himself. He also talked about how it's hard to tell people you've previously lied to (he was referring to family/friends back home); I could see this applying to viewers to some degree.

I was kinda joking, no worries :p Yeah I guess that makes sense. Took me a long time to accept the fact that I was gay and an even longer time to tell my close family despite knowing they'd be okay with it.

The Youtube success formula seems to be: Personality*0.5 + Attractive_to_tween_audience*0.5 = Followers.

Not sure it really applies to everyone, Shane Dawson has no personality neither is he attractive :p

Don't forget a good amount of luck.

Ty4on

You don't. Apart from the very biggest ad revenue is not great which is why so many have others revenue streams like merchandize and sponsorships.
It's also incredibly risky. One change to the code or a new and more popular celebrity and your income is gone.

So, who else here has ended up on 1st dates with dudes who look nothing IRL like their online profile pics? Just happened to me. Dude was nice so I figured I'd at least ride out the date, but I drank a SHIT-TON of wine.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
So, who else here has ended up on 1st dates with dudes who look nothing IRL like their online profile pics? Just happened to me. Dude was nice so I figured I'd at least ride out the date, but I drank a SHIT-TON of wine.

How different? Like...an older photo of them, heavily photoshopped, or was it a complete switcheroo? Also, think there will be a second date with the nice guy?

You would think a winery of all places would give you actual grape juice, but no, I was given Kool-Aid.

Wine, winery...Kangi, you weren't ZombiePlatypus's date, were you? If so, I can see how your pic would be misleading.

EDIT: Looking at this thread, it's very apparent that my post frequency increases when I'm stressed about deadlines (or when I've committed to pulling an all-nighter anyway). Counterproductive habits.

How different? Like...an older photo of them, heavily photoshopped, or was it a complete switcheroo? Also, think there will be a second date with the nice guy?

Pictures were definitely older, and looking back, were cropped and angled just right. I let him know there won't be a second date - as nicely as I could muster myself up to do it. Kinda shitty I know, but if the attraction isn't there, it isn't there.

Before that uncomfortable exchange though,
he swooped in for an end-of-date-kiss, and in sheer panic, I whipped out my cell and went "Y'KNOW WHAT WE SHOULD EXCHANGE PHONE NUMBERS!" Cause, dear god, of all the things that could stop a kiss, naturally I had to blurt out the one thing that'd convey the exact opposite of how I was feeling towards the whole thing. Which, understandably, made me a dick when I was all "hey...I know I'm the one that asked for your number, but..."

They didn't give you any because Zombie drank it all.

It's not my fault. The evening did it. It was circumstance-induced-warranted-alcoholism. (T_T)

Wine, winery...Kangi, you weren't ZombiePlatypus's date, were you? If so, I can see how your pic would be misleading.

Haha, it wasn't at a winery, but asking for grape juice at a winery is kind of adorable.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Pictures were definitely older, and looking back, were cropped and angled just right. I let him know there won't be a second date - as nicely as I could muster myself up to do it. Kinda shitty I know, but if the attraction isn't there, it isn't there.

Before that uncomfortable exchange though,
he swooped in for an end-of-date-kiss, and in sheer panic, I whipped out my cell and went "Y'KNOW WHAT WE SHOULD EXCHANGE PHONE NUMBERS!" Cause, dear god, of all the things that could stop a kiss, naturally I had to blurt out the one thing that'd convey the exact opposite of how I was feeling towards the whole thing. Which, understandably, made me a dick when I was all "hey...I know I'm the one that asked for your number, but..."

:/ That sucks. I'm of the belief that even if a person doesn't look very...good, it's still better to just put up a representative photo. You may have fewer options, but at least you aren't trying to start anything with deception and disappointment. Then again, I have a friend in a wheelchair, and she was telling me that some people with disabilities like hers won't disclose that before the date because too many people just dismiss them based on the wheelchair alone due to ignorance. She has friends in wheelchairs who've had success with that approach...but I'm still unsure if I could fully support someone doing that. People do what suits them best, and I won't judge. Anyway, sorry about the date. Sounds like you did the best you could, and if you recognize that what you did could be harmful, I would guess you're a very nice person who handled it as well as anyone could. Hopefully the wine/food was good and you have better luck next time.

Replicant

Hi GayGAF, I can please vent?

So my friend just had a gay panic. I haven't seen him in weeks and when I called him up to see if he's okay, he hang up on me and then made a vague reference about how he's been busy at work.

And today he promised to meet up but then he just didn't come and didn't even bother to tell me about it. When I asked him about why he didn't even tell me he couldn't make it, he said that he didn't know what I expected of him but he can't provide it.

WHAT THE FUCK?!
WHAT THE FUCK?!
WHAT THE FUCK?!

I swear on my grandpa's grave that never have I once made a move on him. In fact, he's the one who occasionally made a "suck my dick" and "fuck me" comment out of context, which weirded me out so I usually just didn't say anything in response when he said that.

But now this. WTF?! He's the one who's been avoiding me. He's the one who hang up on me when I tried to call him up ONCE. What kind of shit is that? Why would you hang up on someone who's checking up on you to see if you're okay? I just want my friend back not this awkward shit but now I'm not even sure if I want to deal with his gay panic issues. It's really shitty though because it's hard to find friends and except for this sudden chain of events, he's usually cool about gay people.

Hi GayGAF, I can please vent?

So my friend just had a gay panic. I haven't seen him in weeks and when I called him up to see if he's okay, he hang up on me and then made a vague reference about how he's been busy at work.

And today he promised to meet up but then he just didn't come and didn't even bother to tell me about it. When I asked him about why he didn't even tell me he couldn't make it, he said that he didn't know what I expected of him but he can't provide it.

WHAT THE FUCK?!
WHAT THE FUCK?!
WHAT THE FUCK?!

I swear on my grandpa's grave that never have I once made a move on him. In fact, he's the one who occasionally made a "suck my dick" and "fuck me" comment out of context, which weirded me out so I usually just didn't say anything in response when he said that.

But now this. WTF?! He's the one who's been avoiding me. He's the one who hang up on me when I tried to call him up ONCE. What kind of shit is that? Why would you hang up on someone who's checking up on you to see if you're okay? I just want my friend back not this awkward shit but now I'm not even sure if I want to deal with his gay panic issues. It's really shitty though because it's hard to find friends and except for this sudden chain of events, he's usually cool about gay people.

What's a gay panic? He started avoiding you after he knew of your preferance?

Just be cool about it. The bolded part is shitty tbf.

Ahasverus

Wooo replicant. You know, from my experience with offhand comments and regrets, it sounds like he's sexually confused. Give him time, he'll be fine in a few days, but don't expect him to stop telling you "suck my dick" and such, the closer he gets to you the hardest he will back off, and such. I've met a few lile him.

Replicant

How long have you known this guy? And did he start avoiding you as soon as he found out you were gay?

6 months. Things started to get weird before I had to go away for appendicitis surgery 2 weeks ago. He seemed......pensive when I told him about it. But then I came back and we talked normally for one day before he suddenly disappeared and this weird shit happened.

Wooo replicant. You know, from my experience with offhand comments and regrets, it sounds like he's sexually confused. Give him time, he'll be fine in a few days, but don't expect him to stop telling you "suck my dick" and such, the closer he gets to you the hardest he will back off, and such. I've met a few lile him.

It's been a week though and if I hadn't contacted him, he probably wouldn't have contacted me either. I really have lost all hope that I'll ever get him back as a friend.

The thing is, I just want a good friend. But now I can't even have that. :(
I feel like a part of me dies every time I lose a friend because of my sexuality. I care a lot about him as a friend and I believed that he does too so why does this shit has to happen? :/

Ahasverus

It's not your fault, it's theirs. I know you love then and it feels unfair to you, remember it is and try to keep going as naturally as you are, that way you will get close to people that love all of you. Keep on it pal.

This shit is the worst. On one hand I understand why people do it... They want to appear more appealing, but they're really just setting themselves up for disappointment. I won't meet anyone for a date without seeing them on cam first.

Replicant

It's not your fault, it's theirs. I know you love then and it feels unfair to you, remember it is and try to keep going as naturally as you are, that way you will get close to people that love all of you. Keep on it pal.

Thanks man. It's hard not to feel like shit when this has happened so many times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom