• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ :)OT6(: We’re taking over -- first the alphabet, then the world!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Symphonia

Banned
who's calling out people

what are you talking about

who are you responding to
You.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong (already have a few drinks in me) but your post claimed 'distaste for those' pretending to be bisexual or homosexual to get a place in the LGBT community.

Sai-kun

Banned
You.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong (already have a few drinks in me) but your post claimed 'distaste for those' pretending to be bisexual or homosexual to get a place in the LGBT community.

do you not find the article posted on the previous page a little gross? because that's what i was responding to. i'm having a hard time parsing exactly what you're taking issue with and what else makes you think i need to 'grow up'. maybe it's that drunken paranoia again.

do you not find straight people pretending to be gay just for views kind of off putting?

you're like the bisexual version of Arrow now

you have failed this city

im not the hero u need but im the hero u deserve xo

i've never seen arrow :(

Symphonia

Banned
do you not find the article posted on the previous page a little gross? because that's what i was responding to. i'm having a hard time parsing exactly what you're taking issue with and what else makes you think i need to 'grow up'. maybe it's that drunken paranoia again.

do you not find straight people pretending to be gay just for views kind of off putting?
I haven't read the article, no. But, then again, I don't need to know that, yes, straight people pretending to be gay IS off putting, but so is you making comments such as the ones, be they in jest or not. If a junior member who was gay was to come in here for the first time and see such hostile comments, be they aimed at the LGBT community or straight people, it would put them off posting. Just...you know.

esms

straight people are so gross :)

I concur. straight people are quite gross

While I agree with...

You know, I don't think it looks well on the community to have someone say stuff like in this, even in jest. I feel like that's going too far. We would sure get up in arms if someone posted something along the lines of "gay people are so gross :)"

...I can understand where the sentiment is coming from.

Kevyt

who's calling out people

what are you talking about

who are you responding to

edit: what is happening here???

where am I???

You're always calling straight people wild, okay no problem. It seems that's your signature line.

But posts like this:

straight people are so gross :)

I concur. straight people are quite gross

Need to stop.

Or go post that somewhere else, but not here. :)

End of discussion.

im not the hero u need but im the hero u deserve xo

i've never seen arrow :(
it's like batman but with a hot protagonist

Bladenic

End of discussion.

You_a22301_679886.jpg

Sai-kun

Banned
Need to stop.

Or go post that somewhere else, but not here. :)

End of discussion.

this is so weird! i don't think i'm colorblind, but i must be, because your name isn't red to me?

but i hear you, this is a safe space etc etc. i'll keep my straight people are gross posts to a minimum, as i usually do.

Kevyt

What. Who are you to enforce what we may discuss??

Insulting a group of people is hardly a discussion. If you all want to continue "discussing" how terrible and disgusting straight people are then you are free to do so.

It's just that we had rules about respecting others. I would hope we honor those rules as best as we can.

this is so weird! i don't think i'm colorblind, but i must be, because your name isn't red to me?

but i hear you, this is a safe space etc etc. i'll keep my straight people are gross posts to a minimum, as i usually do.

Oh you want a mod to tell us this? Okay, let's do that! :)

Symphonia

Banned
It was a joke. Against straight people. It's nothing and incredibly mild. I don't understand the need to SHUT DOWN DISCUSSION.
Yet flip it so it was a joke against gay people and you'd be up in arms about it. But, hey, promoting negativity within the community is cool, right?

What is a straight? Never heard of those

In all seriousness, as for straight people or "straight hate" (which isnt what anyone anyone explicitly said but for lack of better words) if we want to have a legitimate discussion on it this would be a good thread to talk about it, as its for a lot of people the disdain of systems that upkeep heteronormativity, but not actual hate (not speaking for everyone though)
But wouldn't this be a good time to has discussions about straightness, the perversion of heterosexuality or replication of heterosexuality in non heteronormative relationships? (which i would umbrella as heteronormative monogamous relationships/ though not limited as such) and the affects of having heteronormativity policed through cultures?
Or even a discussions about the policing of topics we talk about as that is a big issue we've talked about. idk the politics of policing spaces is interesting. we've had our bouts with it. Lets address it?
Or do we just troll or make blank post in order to prove any statements? Be Messy? Just post what ever even if its bannable? After all we are not the ones banning anyone here. Unless your name does show in red.
Meh, probably will be ignored anyway, if not then cool.

Razmos

Being circumcised must be annoying, having to use lube for self-loving sessions. I'd have a bill in the hundreds of thousands for lube alone if it was me :p

Vitanimus

mess the sensitivity

then again I would not surprised if someone got banned because of heterophobia, or saying all white male singers are terrible, because that is very racist. poor never forever.

tumblr_ljm49951841qhsdllo1_500.gif

I can never tell when Sai-kun is being serious or not with his "straight people are gross" comments. I assume you are just joking with comments like that (even if the jokes might come off as offensive). I mean, saying something like that is basically the same thing as a straight person saying "gay people are gross" which is usually frowned upon, and I'm sure you wouldn't want to act like those types of people. My best friend is straight and I'd never think of him as "gross" because of his sexuality lol

Vitanimus

I can never tell when Sai-kun is being serious or not with his "straight people are gross" comments. I assume you are just joking with comments like that (even if the jokes might come off as offensive). I mean, saying something like that is basically the same thing as a straight person saying "gay people are gross" which is usually frowned upon, and I'm sure you wouldn't want to act like those types of people. My best friend is straight and I'd never think of him as "gross" because of his sexuality lol

09954248.gif

I mean, saying something like that is basically the same thing as a straight person saying "gay people are gross"

ea2a4fdb.gif

regardless if it's a joke it's hardly the same thing considering one of those statements has hundreds of years of stigma behind it and is actively an encouraged mindset still in many places

besides if a straight person said "all gays are gross" I'd agree because most are
9f1de191.gif

this thread is NO FUN ALLOWED

Dany

Banned
As chronos said eloquently, it has more to do with the disdain of the systems that promote heterosexuality and pushes down other sexuality.

But c'mon. Straight people have the entire world at their oyster, jokingly saying 'straight men are gross' :p Breathe folks

Razmos

Saying "Gay people are gross" has a history of hatred behind it
Saying "Straight people are gross" is in jest. You won't see any straight people killing themselves over it.

If we are considered outsiders we have every right to have an outsider perspective on what straight people are like. And lot of straight people ARE gross, have you seen the disgusting tactics straight guys use to pick up women? have you seen families that just have shit loads of kids for benefits?

Straight culture is an institution which is rarely ever mocked because it's so common and widespread, and we have every right to judge it any way we please, since they can and do judge us for everything we do.

Vitanimus

Saying "Straight people are gross" is in jest. You won't see any straight people killing themselves over it.

If we are considered outsiders we have every right to have an outsider perspective on what straight people are like. And lot of straight people ARE gross, have you seen the disgusting tactics straight guys use to pick up women? have you seen families that just have shit loads of kids for benefits?

Straight culture is an institution which is rarely ever mocked because it's so common and widespread, and we have every right to judge it any way we please, since they can and do judge us for everything we do.

scalding hot chai brew

alvmew

Supposed to be like 105 F (I think that's about ~40 C) in Vegas Sunday. Get on my level. Or don't because I'd feel bad for you. I always get pale in the summer here because I'll be god damned if I'm going out during the day unless I have to.

I am definitely not looking forward to it. Today being just like 97 was still too damn much. Would probably be less painful if we didn't have such a cold and rainy (for Vegas standards) May. Blah.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I've watching some Willam stuff recently. She can be pretty funny in a very dry/direct sort of way.

Also, question: how do gender pronouns generally work for drag queens? I've always been a little unsure.

Also, also: my young French teacher continues to be the most adorable. We learned today that he sees himself in thirty years living in France all alone. I was about to ready to jump up all Katniss-style and volunteer.

Kevyt

What is a straight? Never heard of those

In all seriousness, as for straight people or "straight hate" (which isnt what anyone anyone explicitly said but for lack of better words) if we want to have a legitimate discussion on it this would be a good thread to talk about it, as its for a lot of people the disdain of systems that upkeep heteronormativity, but not actual hate (not speaking for everyone though)
But wouldn't this be a good time to has discussions about straightness, the perversion of heterosexuality or replication of heterosexuality in non heteronormative relationships? (which i would umbrella as heteronormative monogamous relationships/ though not limited as such) and the affects of having heteronormativity policed through cultures?
Or even a discussions about the policing of topics we talk about as that is a big issue we've talked about. idk the politics of policing spaces is interesting. we've had our bouts with it. Lets address it?
Or do we just troll or make blank post in order to prove any statements? Be Messy? Just post what ever even if its bannable? After all we are not the ones banning anyone here. Unless your name does show in red.
Meh, probably will be ignored anyway, if not then cool.

I wanted to reply but I didn't really get it until Dany's post:

As chronos said eloquently, it has more to do with the disdain of the systems that promote heterosexuality and pushes down other sexuality.

But c'mon. Straight people have the entire world at their oyster, jokingly saying 'straight men are gross' :p Breathe folks

I know I sound like a broken record machine, but what you are saying and what chronos is saying is completely different from "straight people are gross." The latter has no context, no explanations, it's simply an insult whether in jest or seriousness regardless of any ulterior motives.

Saying that doesn't engender any discussion. It's a simply a blank statement.

This is the first time I've heard of straight culture.

Sorry, but my straight friends and acquaintances are not gross. My straight guy friends and acquaintances don't use any terrible tactics to pick up women, suffice to say they're such gentlemen when it comes to dating. My straight friends and acquaintances don't have a lot of kids. In fact many of them are married happily without kids.

They're so different from one another, culturally and ethnically. I guess it comes from living in such a multi-cultural diverse place as Washington DC. The idea of categorizing them as one group and one culture "straight culture" seems silly to me.

So go ahead and judge them as you please, and as you see fit. But I believe that when we do, we're no better than homophobes and bigots.

Whatever floats your boat I guess...

RM8

It's odd that you guys think anyone here believes homophobia is comparable to "heterophobia", if that even exists. That's kind of irrelevant, since saying "X demographic is gross" should never be okay, and we should know better than that. But then it was a joke, so yeah, this was just a misunderstanding.

It's odd that you guys think anyone here believes homophobia is comparable to "heterophobia", if that even exists. That's kind of irrelevant, since saying "X demographic is gross" should never be okay, and we should know better than that. But then it was a joke, so yeah, this was just a misunderstanding.

Thats about where I feel.

Wat's happening here. o_O

Maybe we should derail. For those of us that are dating, how's that going? Some dude hit me up on OKC saying "only thing gay about me is I like dicks in my mouth." Thought he was being funny at first but found out quickly he had some self searching left to do.

Any time is a good time for Mario Sunshine.

I was gonna slap you but I got sidetracked imagining you at the beach and my mind went fuzzy :p

I choke on ocean saltwater. Every. Time. I go. So lol yea enjoy that awkwardness of an image. (Still love boogie boarding way too much)

It wasn't even that, everyone could tell that it was a joke. This all happened because of members trying to be knights in shining armor defending straight people from ??? something?? and the one frequent straight member of this community even posted and said he understood the sentiment.

Razmos

This is the first time I've heard of straight culture.

Sorry, but my straight friends and acquaintances are not gross. My straight guy friends and acquaintances don't use any terrible tactics to pick up women, suffice to say they're such gentlemen when it comes to dating. My straight friends and acquaintances don't have a lot of kids. In fact many of them are married happily without kids.

They're so different from one another, culturally and ethnically. I guess it comes from living in such a multi-cultural diverse place as Washington DC. The idea of categorizing them as one group and one culture "straight culture" seems silly to me.

So go ahead and judge them as you please, and as you see fit. But I believe that when we do, we're no better than homophobes and bigots.

Whatever floats your boat I guess...
Yet gay culture does exist?

I'm obviously not saying all straight people are like that, that would be a stupid thing to say. But you can't say that stuff like that doesn't exist in straight culture, because it absolutely does, and is very prevalent outside of your circle of friends.

Hence, straight people are gross. It's a hyperbolic statement, same as Sai-Kun's was. It was in jest and you are taking it far too seriously.
We quite frequently rib on gay culture here too, and that's okay because we belong to that group? It's only offensive when we say stuff about straight people? that's ridiculous.

Exactly, it was a joke in the first place. It's no different than shaking your head and saying "Pfft, straight people"

Dany

Banned
Straight people have privilege, you have to be blind to not notice that. Not in your little bubble in your community but overall as a global concept.

It wasn't even that, everyone could tell that it was a joke. This all happened because of members trying to be knights in shining armor defending straight people from ??? something??

lmao. yas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom