• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ :)OT6(: We’re taking over -- first the alphabet, then the world!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Netcodes going to be horrible anyway if the console versions repeat themselves. Just start playing now.

Though it seems my title getting has been broken since I've "played" longer than 50 days and still don't have the 50 days check-in/played title.
Hm? I have been playing. I just meant I'm waiting for the online before trying to "git gud," even though that didn't help much in the PS3 version.

3phemeral

I have both previous Witchers and have yet to play them. I haven't had the time to and my backlog is already incredibly overstuffed. :( I may get if and when it gets on Steam (is it, already?). I'm already disappointed that I'm missing out on Bloodborne.

DOWN

Banned
I have both previous Witchers and have yet to play them. I haven't had the time to and my backlog is already incredibly overstuffed. :( I may get if and when it gets on Steam (is it, already?). I'm already disappointed that I'm missing out on Bloodborne.

Bloodborne isn't my kind of game (I wouldn't buy a sequel), but unlike Witcher 3, I think it was fantastic and don't regret pushing through it. I'd hoped that having spent over 100 hours in Skyrim, Final Fantasy X, and Dragon Age Inquisition, Witcher 3 would take top cues from those successes and I feel it mostly misses the mark.

3phemeral

Bloodborne isn't my kind of game (I wouldn't buy a sequel), but unlike Witcher 3, I think it was fantastic and don't regret pushing through it. I'd hoped that having spent over 100 hours in Skyrim, Final Fantasy X, and Dragon Age Inquisition, Witcher 3 would take top cues from those successes and I feel it mostly misses the mark.
We have the same tastes. What's your opinion on Dark Souls II?

I've spent about 600 hours in Skyrim and I haven't even completed it. I use it as a form of escapism because I love the atmosphere and just do random shit for the hell of it. FFX was the last FF game I enjoyed and I have the Ultimate Edition of Dragon Age but that's been on the backburner for a bit.

Bloodborne interests me solely because of my love for DS.

DOWN

Banned

I've spent about 600 hours in Skyrim and I haven't even completed it. I use it as a form of escapism because I love the atmosphere and just do random shit for the hell of it. FFX was the last FF game I enjoyed and I have the Ultimate Edition of Dragon Age but that's been on the backburner for a bit.

Bloodborne was my first From Software game so I can't give any big opinion on DS2, beyond that I've watched some videos of both DS games and liked the art, but found Bloodborne to be even more unique and incredible in that regard even when I wasn't into the gameplay challenge. Bloodborne is quite unusual to me. Like a wild stage play adapted to film in the 70s. Looks sort of grim, theatrical, and dramatic.

3phemeral

Bloodborne was my first From Software game so I can't give any big opinion on DS2, beyond that I've watched some videos of both DS games and liked the art, but found Bloodborne to be even more unique and incredible in that regard even when I wasn't into the gameplay challenge. Bloodborne is quite unusual to me. Like a wild stage play adapted to film in the 70s. Looks sort of grim, theatrical, and dramatic.

Hmm, when I first tried out the original Demon's Souls I hated it. Then again, I was forced to play it in Japanese and asked "why did this game become popular in Japan" so I had to stick with it. I eventually ended up loving it after figuring out the controls so I jumped to the the sequels. I'm assuming Bloodborne is the same way so I guess I'll watch some walkthroughs and see how that goes. I should definitely force myself to do a Witcher run but I don't know if it holds up well since there's a new one out. I should play it to get familiarized and see if I even like it (I wont it in the Steam thread at some point).

If you enjoyed the previous Souls games and own a PS4, then you should definitely get Bloodborne (and jump in blind without spoiling anything).

Alrus

Bloodborne is a great game but it's kinda disappointing NPC wise (in that there isn't much to them, their stories are too short), which were some of my favorite part of the Souls games.

Bloodborne is a great game but it's kinda disappointing NPC wise (in that there isn't much to them, their stories are too short), which were some of my favorite part of the Souls games.
Really?
Eileen
's questline is probably one of my favorite in the series. And the twists with
Arianna
, the
little girl
Iosefka
, and
the guy who transforms
were memorable for me. Oh, and the moment with the
sick guy in the window
later in the game surprised me. It probably has some of the more involved NPCs, in my opinion, and I loved coming back and seeing things change.

3phemeral

If you enjoyed the previous Souls games and own a PS4, then you should definitely get Bloodborne (and jump in blind without spoiling anything).

I unfortunately don't have any consoles as I ditched them when I moved out of state, PC gaming has been great in that regard, because of the portability and my locational impermanency right now. That's why I'm hoping for a Steam version but I've read it's not likely. I may reconsider once I move back home.

Captcha

I'll chime in with an opinion again: The Witcher 3's main problem to me is the awful controls. The battle system doesn't seem responsive enough for what it's trying to do (which I think is some kind of action game type deal). Even simple things like looting are terrible as you have to come to a complete stop and hit the damn treasure's G spot before you can pick anything up (there's an oddly limited space where the loot button even pops up). The horse controls also annoyed the hell out of me.

I also find the voice acting to be pretty bad. I got tired of listening to Geralt's gruff voice after 2-3 hours and just starting listening to music while reading subtitles. Graphics could also be better, but I'm playing on the PS4.

People really go on about how the writing is supposed to be good, but it just seems average with occasional flashes of brilliance. It is refreshing to get a neat little story line on side quests, though.

I keep chugging along because people are going gaga over it, but I find it to be boring~average about 20 hours in... I feel like I should just shut up and finish it because I've come this far.

e: missed this:

We also have pretty similar tastes! Def. play Scholar of the First Sin edition of Dark Souls 2. People on this site give it too much shit. It's a competent game in its own right even if it's not quite as good as DS 1. The DLCs are also excellent and come with the enhanced edition of DS2.

In the present? Not too much beyond my delving deep into the experiences of others, sating my curiosity, deepening my spiritual exploration through things such as meditation, and celebrating as much of the lived experience and history as I can through the written word.

In the future? Meaningful rituals for myself and others (libations, offerings, and so on), even if I'm baseline skeptical about any power involved in them :). If nature is actually subtly animate and wishes to honor me by ... I would be the first to rejoice and accept that. But I don't pray in expectance of answer. I pray and venerate and ritualize because it represents a more authentic and vibrant me who's in love with life and the universe she finds herself in.

I recommend reading Franz Bardon's Initiation into Hermetics and perhaps some of the companion pieces (by Mistele, Rawn Clark, etc). From what I hear it is the most extensive system of training within the western occult tradition that is publicly available. It's in the tradition of Hermeticism, which is its own distinct system, generally involving the practice of theurgy for the purpose of enlightenment, Hermeticists also tend to emphasize morality and service a lot, and you may or may not care for that particular framework, but from what I gather the basic skills that are used in that book should be very broadly applicable.

I generally don't know quite what to make of western occult traditions, myself. Since my interest in spirituality is more in the vein of Buddhist soteriology, I do think that these methods could (and likely are used) to achieve enlightenment, but culturally I think there's a greater emphasis on 'power' (either real or imagined). Buddhists also have the concept of abhinna or siddhis which could be considered supranormal powers, but from what I gather from people who claimed to have cultivated them is that the experience is ambiguous, like you can regard them as phantasmagoria or as being something more meaningful (synchronicity?), but there isn't really a clear answer on what they are. I think what happens is you become so skilled at mastering your mind, that certain mental impressions that were subtle before (say intuitions) gain enough volume that they become semi-'solid'. Basically I think it's sort of like you hack your mind to more effectively produce certain impressions or internal imagery, which may or may not be useful somehow. But I haven't had any meaningful experience with it myself.

3phemeral

We also have pretty similar tastes! Def. play Scholar of the First Sin edition of Dark Souls 2. People on this site give it too much shit. It's a competent game in its own right even if it's not quite as good as DS 1. The DLCs are also excellent and come with the enhanced edition of DS2.

Thanks for the recommendation. Last game I played with Civ V but they borked the balance and it's incredibly difficult to beat unless you're dedicated to working out very specific kinks to get anywhere beyond Sputnik difficulty. I'll check that out and hopefully will dive into something.

I unfortunately don't have any consoles as I ditched them when I moved out of state, PC gaming has been great in that regard, because of the portability and my locational impermanency right now. That's why I'm hoping for a Steam version but I've read it's not likely. I may reconsider once I move back home.
I feel you on that. I've more or less completely moved over to PC gaming, especially when you factor in superior versions of games and even emulation. Since Bloodborne was a joint venture between Sony's Japan studio and From Software like Demon's Souls was, you'd be waiting a lifetime. I bought a used PS4 to play Bloodborne and then promptly sold it after.

DOWN

Banned
Maybe this is a monstrous opinion, but I get the sense that W3 is getting defended because there's a sentiment that it could hopefully be that elusive PC-focused dev project that is desirable to console players, without the series being tailored to the console market like other franchises do over time. I look forward to when I am done playing it so I can stop thinking so much about it and being baffled by claims that it is perhaps the greatest game ever made.

3phemeral

I feel you on that. I've more or less completely moved over to PC gaming, especially when you factor in superior versions of games and even emulation. Since Bloodborne was a joint venture between Sony's Japan studio and From Software like Demon's Souls was, you'd be waiting a lifetime. I bought a used PS4 to play Bloodborne and then promptly sold it after.

Oh damn, I didn't know. I should have looked into it more than just assume it was a temporary/timed exclusive. I don't even have a PS4 and I was gifted a PS2 when I helped someone move and they didn't want it anymore. Unless I have a reason to get a PS4, I'll likely wait for next gen or just not get it at all. What a shame.

Captcha

Maybe this is a monstrous opinion, but I get the sense that W3 is getting defended because there's a sentiment that it could hopefully be that elusive PC-focused dev project that is desirable to console players, without the series being tailored to the console market like other franchises do over time. I look forward to when I am done playing it so I can stop thinking so much about it and being baffled by claims that it is perhaps the greatest game ever made.

Who in their right mind? I'll continue avoiding that gaming side thread.

I'm interested in picking up W3 eventually, but a lot of the complaints give me the impression that it suffers from many of the trappings common in big-budgeted, open-world games that I'm kind of burned out on.

DOWN

Banned
I'm interested in picking up W3 eventually, but a lot of the complaints give me the impression that it suffers from many of the trappings common in big-budgeted, open-world games that I'm kind of burned out on.

It suffers from those, but it didn't even have a big budget to at least polish it off with! I'll say the one thing Inquisition can learn from W3 is how to avoid fetch quests, but otherwise I'll stick to just about every AAA franchise over W3.

Monocle

So i began to see a psychiatrist, a family friend as my mom didnt want to take me to anyone else, we talked about depression, family, school problems and a bit of homosexuality, at the end he started to talk about sodomy when my mother was there and he also said i must be a more devout catholic because i lack that and other things i was a bit surprised.

But it was not that bad i guess,just need to adjust a bit.

should stop with these updates, dont i? :p
Um, get out now. That's messed up.

fuuuk there was this hilarious tumblr/blog i use to follow that i'm not sad i dont' remember what it was

oh yay! 3000 hours later searching through my (4k+ bookmarks) i found it

so Bo or anyone else should check this site out
http://effingdykes.blogspot.com/ (NSFW, random female nudity, MS Paint dicks, foul lanague, Humor) this use to crack me up constantly The life and humor of this post college age woman and the random shite she blogs about from various serious and non serious topics. Sadly defunct? but who cares still funny

Ty4on

You see this all the time. Some even think The Order was a decent game!

What are y'alls beliefs in regards to religion/spirituality?
Atheist. I've always had a mechanical worldview as a child so it was quite a natural progression.

Alrus

Really?
Eileen
's questline is probably one of my favorite in the series. And the twists with
Arianna
, the
little girl
Iosefka
, and
the guy who transforms
were memorable for me. Oh, and the moment with the
sick guy in the window
later in the game surprised me. It probably has some of the more involved NPCs, in my opinion, and I loved coming back and seeing things change.

I kinda badly worded my opinion, I think the NPCs are absolutely great for the most part, I just think their individual stories were too short and ended rather abruptly. I would have a liked to see even more :p

Heh.

DOWN

Banned

oh my god

I think my self-proclaimed graphics whore nature and my resistance to the positives and spectacle of a game like The Order slipping away over claims of it being "boring" are more involved there. Like I've said, style is substance and the best looking games make me weep. And then again, I'd never claim The Order to be the best of its genre or this year. It's winning by a landslide in that best graphics thread at least.

I kinda badly worded my opinion, I think the NPCs are absolutely great for the most part, I just think their individual stories were too short and ended rather abruptly. I would have a liked to see even more :p[/URL]
Oh, I get what you mean now. (Though they were the right length for me!) It will be interesting to see what the expansion pack/DLC brings to the table.

I love the Souls games, put in so many hours on Demon's and Dark Souls 1. Didn't play Dark Souls 2 because of a lot of complaints and with Bloodborne on the horizon I didn't want to get burnt out. Bloodborne is my first game to platinum and by far the best game on PS4 for me. Love it.

I think you just need to let it go. You're far too aggressive about your stance on the game on gaming side and in here, we get it, you don't really like the game. Some people do, it's really not something to overthink and stress about.

You can be baffled why people would be attached to such a game, but it makes sense. Regardless of how you feel about the quality, it obviously resonates with people to give it such claim. One of my favorite games of all time is Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon on N64. Sure, it's janky as hell and even when it was released it wasn't that impressive looking, but it doesn't matter. Game is stellar because of what I got out of it and that's enough for me.

I get the feeling "GAF" hates a lot of the games I loved or I don't like a lot of the games GAF seems to love, so I never know what to make of suggestions or impressions from people who have games before I do. For example, I loved Bioshock Infinite, Dark Souls II, and Uncharted 3 but they get quite a lot of hate on here. Hell, I even liked Dragon Age Inquisition (was the first one I actually finished in that series) and reading some of posts in a recent thread makes it out to be one of the worst games ever created in the history of gaming, lol. *shrug*

although I know there is no real hivemind on GAF, but it sure does feel like it sometimes lol

I get the feeling "GAF" hates a lot of the games I loved or I don't like a lot of the games GAF seems to love, so I never know what to make of suggestions or impressions from people who have games before I do. For example, I loved Bioshock Infinite, Dark Souls II, and Uncharted 3 but they get quite a lot of hate on here. Hell, I even liked Dragon Age Inquisition (was the first one I actually finished in that series) and reading some of posts in a recent thread makes it out to be one of the worst games ever created in the history of gaming, lol. *shrug*

although I know there is no real hivemind on GAF, but it sure does feel like it sometimes lol

I LOVED Infinite. It was one of my favorite games that year and I even enjoyed the experience it gave me over The Last of Us. But that's obviously not a common opinion.

Alrus

I think you're conflating people being disappointed in a game with "hate".

For example I know Mass Effect 2 isn't a bad game, I still really don't enjoy it because it took so much of what I liked about Mass Effect away in order to streamline it.

Dragon Age:Origins is not bad game but it promised me a return to the greatness that were late 90s-early 2000s PC RPG and it clearly wasn't that.

You're also paying much more attention to negative opinions than positives ones it seems. All the game you cited were praised by a majority of people on GAF.

Dany

Banned
Last night a group of us nursing students played volleyball in a league on the beach on the lakeshore.

The view is fucking stupendous. It was so much fun and we won and got semi wasted at a bar after.

Mondays are gonna be my fave <3

I LOVED Infinite. It was one of my favorite games that year and I even enjoyed the experience it gave me over The Last of Us. But that's obviously not a common opinion.

On the GAF GOTY awards, I gave Bioshock Infinite the #1 slot and TLOU was #2, lol. I loved both games, but I actually had a much better time experiencing Infinite for the first time than I did TLOU. It suck with me for far longer, and it was constantly on my mind for like months after beating it (especially how the story plays out). I realize this is also not a common opinion on GAF, lol.

I think you're conflating people being disappointed in a game with "hate".

For example I know Mass Effect 2 isn't a bad game, I still really don't enjoy it because it took so much of what I liked about Mass Effect away in order to streamline it.

Dragon Age:Origins is not bad game but it promised me a return to the greatness that were late 90s-early 2000s PC RPG and it clearly wasn't that.

You're also paying much more attention to negative opinions than positives ones it seems. All the game you cited were praised by a majority of people on GAF.

Maybe I am confusing people being disappointed in a game to them hating it sometimes, but some of the posts I read in that "Dragon Age Inquisition is better than Witcher 3" thread on the gaming side, people have outright said they "hated" the game and it was the worst game ever. Was just a bit silly, but it's their opinion and all.

I suppose I might be paying more attention to the negative thoughts on the games I listed because they just seem to be the most common when I look in threads. There was a recent thread about how much Bioshock Infinite sold, and it was filled to the brim with hatred for the game. Very few positives, but maybe I did miss them and focused more on the negative posts. I dunno.

Splatoon is consuming my life. I'm drowning in ink.

I'm a squid now, everything's inkredible.

Glad to hear you're enjoying Splatoon so much. You better be wearing that cute shirt while playing! ;)

RM8

Try loving games like Paper Mario: Sticker Star or the Street Fighter EX games.

Alrus

Maybe I am confusing people being disappointed in a game to them hating it sometimes, but some of the posts I read in that "Dragon Age Inquisition is better than Witcher 3" thread on the gaming side, people have outright said they "hated" the game and it was the worst game ever. Was just a bit silly, but it's their opinion and all.

I suppose I might be paying more attention to the negative thoughts on the games I listed because they just seem to be the most common when I look in threads. There was a recent thread about how much Bioshock Infinite sold, and it was filled to the brim with hatred for the game. Very few positives, but maybe I did miss them and focused more on the negative posts. I dunno.

Individual sales thread are filled with kneejerk reactions, they don't reflect any sort of general opinions.

And your DA:I comes from a thread saying it was better than a currently very hyped recent release, of course you're going to get a lot of negative comments.

I don't think those are very good example of "generalized gaf hate". I'm not saying that B:I and DA:I were universally beloved, they've seen their share of criticism like the majority of high profile games but you're not particularly straying away from the norm if you say you liked them.

Son Of D

With GAF (and really any internet outlet) you'll always hear the negative opinions more since they're more vocal. It's more common to see people shitting on games and films than it is to see people praising them as the second coming of [insert incredibly famous game/film here.

Of course there are exceptions to this where games get a lot of praise on the net but you don't see as much disappointment towards it (Souls games and Platinum developed games are examples of that here).

Ty4on

Try loving games like Paper Mario: Sticker Star or the Street Fighter EX games.
cLJJa6A.jpg

I get surprisingly little hate for it :p
oh my god

I think my self-proclaimed graphics whore nature and my resistance to the positives and spectacle of a game like The Order slipping away over claims of it being "boring" are more involved there. Like I've said, style is substance and the best looking games make me weep. And then again, I'd never claim The Order to be the best of its genre or this year. It's winning by a landslide in that best graphics thread at least.
Heh
I have the same issues with graphics. Especially in racing/driving games they add so much immersion for me.
With GAF (and really any internet outlet) you'll always hear the negative opinions more since they're more vocal. It's more common to see people shitting on games and films than it is to see people praising them as the second coming of [insert incredibly famous game/film here.

Of course there are exceptions to this where games get a lot of praise on the net but you don't see as much disappointment towards it (Souls games and Platinum developed games are examples of that here).
It also gets amplified. If a game is loved, who can love it the most and vice versa for hated. If it feels like the majority has a differing opinion you REALLY need to get heard because how can they be so wrong.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Just want to comment on Dark Souls 2, I'm currently playing it on PS4 and it's fantastic. I'm enjoying it more than the first game so far, probably because of the lack of framerate issues that the first one had. The Witcher 3 has been set aside until more of the kinks get worked out of the game.

I preordered Elder Scrolls Online since it has no monthly fee. Think I can get my sporadic online gaming fix addressed with it.

Individual sales thread are filled with kneejerk reactions, they don't reflect any sort of general opinions.

And your DA:I comes from a thread saying it was better than a currently very hyped recent release, of course you're going to get a lot of negative comments.

I don't think those are very good example of "generalized gaf hate". I'm not saying that B:I and DA:I were universally beloved, they've seen their share of criticism like the majority of high profile games but you're not particularly straying away from the norm if you say you liked them.

I suppose you're right about the kneejerk reactions in a sales thread and the example I used for DA:I as well.

I do think this is definitely true. The negative opinions are always more vocal even if they are a minority. Generally speaking, there's probably more negative threads/posts than positive ones on internet forums because when you're happy about a game, there's not a lot to say, but if you are disappointed or hate a game, you can go on and on and on about what you hate about it lol.

Who wears clothes while gaming? pffft.

I do, but if I looked like you, I probably wouldn't either. ;P

Bladenic

oh my god

You're lucky you're pretty hot, cuz ew

I do think this is definitely true. The negative opinions are always more vocal even if they are a minority. Generally speaking, there's probably more negative threads/posts than positive ones on internet forums because when you're happy about a game, there's not a lot to say, but if you are disappointed or hate a game, you can go on and on and on about what you hate about it lol.

P

I agree, but then you see people shitting on the game constantly even without playing the game. I get it if people feel dissapointed with how games shaped up to be and would like to express it. But please move on, don't trash the game at every opportunity.

See the best graphic thread... you have comments like "The Order, but it's not a game" or "The Order, but it doesn't count"... smh. Same goes for AC: Unity.

I share the sentiments with DOWN and Captcha regarding Witcher 3, but I've learned that my opinion isn't always the majority here.

It's a good game allright, but it get a lot of passes and praised massively. It's an improvement to Witcher 2 at least.

I agree, but then you see people shitting on the game constantly even without playing the game. I get it if people feel dissapointed with how games shaped up to be and would like to express it. But please move on, don't trash the game at every opportunity.

See the best graphic thread... you have comments like "The Order, but it's not a game" or "The Order, but it doesn't count"... smh. Same goes for AC: Unity.

I share the sentiments with DOWN and Captcha regarding Witcher 3. It's a good game, but it get a lot of passes and praised massively, but I've learned that my opinion isn't always the majority here.

You don't need to play The Order to see what they focused their attention on and what wasn't a priority in terms of designing the game. One of the reasons I love Nintendo is their games start with a gameplay idea and are built around that. I think the criticism surrounding The Order is valid and well deserved. It's rubbish that Sony spent money on that instead of developing say, a new Wipeout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom