• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ :)OT6(: We’re taking over -- first the alphabet, then the world!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vazduh

I mean we all miss Kyon, right? Right?

tumblr_inline_mj6199D6ZI1qz4rgp.gif

Honestly it feels a little...... i dunno a non harsh sounding word for it. Like this whole "I wonder if anyone in the thread likes me" thing is just pure compliment fishing, and reeks of insecurity. And nobody in this thread (besides me) is rude, so everyone of course goes "of course you are loved baby!" Which may very well be true, and not just people being kind and fake. I think it actually might be more likely that the people who don't like the person in question would simply stay quiet, rather than lie.

Now that's just my opinion. I understand and am fine if someone wants to use the thread as a confidence booster. But I also understand why Vitanimus would find it a little "who gives a shit."

On an unrelated note, how much do you guys spend on food a week? I think I spend way too much, but that's because I buy a bunch of fish and meat at the grocery store. I decided to invest in a rice cooker so I can hopefully bring the bill down by buying cheap rice in bulk.

Razmos

I did something totally unlike me today LettersGAF.

I was on the way home from the gym and was walking past GAME when I looked in and saw a really hot guy working there, he watched me go past and we made eye contact, and I kept on walking. And I was thinking "god he was really attractive, maybe I should go back and have a look around GAME, see what happens" and I was debating about it in my head when I just said "fuck it", turned on the spot and marched back to GAME.

After he noticed I had come back he kept watching me until 2 women came up asking him questions.
a few minutes later he asked me if I needed help with anything, and I said no thanks. Eventually I decided to buy Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate for the 3DS (for some reason half the price of Monster Hunter 3) and he was the one who served me at the counter, it was a bit awkward haha, and I probably would have done or said something if the 2 women from before hadn't come up behind me in the queue. (apart from them I was the only customer in the store)

So I just bought the game, smiled at him awkwardly and left.

So meh, nothing was really gained from this whole experience (apart from a game I wouldn't have bought if I hadn't gone in there) but I'm still surprised I was brave enough to go back there and try at all.

It was worth a try to find a hot, geeky, gamer boyfriend.

I was on the way home from the gym and was walking past GAME when I looked in and saw a really hot guy working there, he watched me go past and we made eye contact, and I kept on walking. And I was thinking "god he was really attractive, maybe I should go back and have a look around GAME, see what happens" and I was debating about it in my head when I just said "fuck it", turned on the spot and marched back to GAME.

After he noticed I had come back he kept watching me until 2 women came up asking him questions.
a few minutes later he asked me if I needed help with anything, and I said no thanks. Eventually I decided to buy Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate for the 3DS (for some reason half the price of Monster Hunter 3) and he was the one who served me at the counter, it was a bit awkward haha, and I probably would have done or said something if the 2 women from before hadn't come up behind me in the queue. (apart from them I was the only customer in the store)

So meh, nothing was really gained from this whole experience (apart from a game I wouldn't have bought if I hadn't gone in there) but I'm still surprised I was brave enough to go back there and try at all.

You should go back and give it another try. Maybe no one else will be there. ;)

When you pay for the game don't they hand you two receipts? One for a customer copy and one for them? You could have written your phone number on the copy of the receipt you hand to them.

Vitanimus

Honestly it feels a little...... i dunno a non harsh sounding word for it. Like this whole "I wonder if anyone in the thread likes me" thing is just pure compliment fishing, and reeks of insecurity. And nobody in this thread (besides me) is rude, so everyone of course goes "of course you are loved baby!" Which may very well be true, and not just people being kind and fake. I think it actually might be more likely that the people who don't like the person in question would simply stay quiet, rather than lie.

Now that's just my opinion. I understand and am fine if someone wants to use the thread as a confidence booster. But I also understand why Vitanimus would find it a little "who gives a shit."

yes this is worded quite nicely and I agree

this thread is detrimentally nice at times when everyone can be so quick to just be like "you're amazing!!!! / don't think like that you're so hot!!!!" etc etc as opposed to just be real with them and telling them how it actually is. some people are just very bait in terms of being crushingly depressive about themselves seemingly just to provoke a positive reaction, which is fine if it's genuine. other times it just comes across as fishing for compliments as you said. take for example victor; sure I poke fun at him from time to time but that's only because sometimes I'm genuinely baffled by how some posters react to some of the things he said he does. it's nothing personal.

but if people wanna use this thread for positivity then go ahead

Razmos

When you pay for the game don't they hand you two receipts? One for a customer copy and one for them? You could have written your phone number on the copy of the receipt you hand to them.
Nah, just one receipt which he gave to me. he had a pen and everything because he was telling me about a survey thing where I can win £200 and was underlining stuff on the receipt.

In an ideal world he would have written his number and said "call me maybe ;)" but life isn't that good.

You should go back and give it another try. Maybe no one else will be there. ;)
Pfft, I'm home now! no guy is worth getting 6 buses in one day.

RM8

I need to buy MH4U. It's so odd that I keep playing the demo, thinking "yes, I like this!" and then proceed to not buy it.

It has been discounted deeper before (75%) and I don't think it won't be part of the summer sale. So it kind of comes down to if you really, really want to play the game now and are willing to pay and additional $27.5 MXN for the pleasure.
I think I'll wait, I'm not in a hurry to play it. Also I'm reading it has issues with Windows 8 :(

berzeli

Banned
On an unrelated note, how much do you guys spend on food a week? I think I spend way too much, but that's because I buy a bunch of fish and meat at the grocery store. I decided to invest in a rice cooker so I can hopefully bring the bill down by buying cheap rice in bulk.

I was going to post the rough amount, but then I remembered that I have the expensive pleasure of living in Sweden (at least we're not Norway) so that would probably end up being misleading.
So instead I will post about how I keep costs down;

• Plan your purchases. No excuses, no exceptions. Sit down before you go shopping and examine what you actually need. Go online/use an app/look at physical (paper) ads to see what is discounted. Planning is key to not buying shit you don't need and finding bargains.
  • Don't buy things just because they're discounted. Sometimes the discount isn't particularity deep so it isn't worth buying something you don't need (see step 1) and you're better off spending that money on food that you do need.
  • Adjust your diet. Take a look at what you are eating and see if there are cheaper dishes you could make. Try eating seasonally appropriate food (i.e. items which cost less during certain seasons) and eating (some) vegetarian meals. Also as a general rule, avoid ready-to-eat meals since they're usually way, way more expensive than just making it yourself.
  • Join the store's cult club/membership reward's program/etc. Yes, these data driven programs are sometimes a bit scary, but hey you save money on them.
  • Keep your receipts. This is so that you can identify what is costing you money and help you plan your purchases.

3phemeral

I was going to post the rough amount, but then I remembered that I have the expensive pleasure of living in Sweden (at least we're not Norway) so that would probably end up being misleading.

• Plan your purchases. No excuses, no exceptions. Sit down before you go shopping and examine what you actually need. Go online/use an app/look at physical (paper) ads to see what is discounted. Planning is key to not buying shit you don't need and finding bargains.
  • Don't buy things just because they're discounted. Sometimes the discount isn't particularity deep so it isn't worth buying something you don't need (see step 1) and you're better off spending that money on food that you do need.
  • Adjust your diet. Take a look at what you are eating and see if there are cheaper dishes you could make. Try eating seasonally appropriate food (i.e. items which cost less during certain seasons) and eating (some) vegetarian meals. Also as a general rule, avoid ready-to-eat meals since they're usually way, way more expensive than just making it yourself.
  • Join the store's cult club/membership reward's program/etc. Yes, these data driven programs are sometimes a bit scary, but hey you save money on them.
  • Keep your receipts. This is so that you can identify what is costing you money and help you plan your purchases.
Very sound advice.

I'd also recommend buying cheap bulk items that store well, or items that share common things you cook so that you can use in a multitude of recipes. Since I mostly cook Asian food, that usually ends up being Oyster Sauce, Fish Sauce, Jasmine Rice, Soy Sauce as they're the most commonly used for almost any dish I've made.

Other ingredients, if I can grow them, I'll have small pots I've repurposed from emptied-out containers where I've grown cuttings of Thai Holy Basil, or Cilantro and Chive from seed. Small, fresh seasonings like that can go a long way at turning a potentially bland, everyday dish into something special.

Tomato paste is also good if you love pastas or tomato-based soups. Beans can also be versatile. I like getting two large bags of pinto beans and making refried beans. It's great for quick baleadas (avocado, green bell peppers, goat/cheddar cheese, corn tortilla), or mixing them with eggs via omelette/scrambled, perfect for chip dips or even as a meat replacement for other dishes. I also like picking up whole bell peppers if they're on sale and stuffing them with refried beans mixed with ground turkey and cheese. It's delicious. You'd be surprised how much paste one cup of pinto beans can make.

The supermarket chain here (Meijer) can have some great "Oops! We bought too much!" deals where I can find a load of things like onions, bell peppers, squash, potatoes for 50 cents to 2 dollars for a whole bag. But berzeli is so right in saying don't buy it just because it's on sale. If you can't use it up or store it, it'll go to waste and that's money down the drain. It's very tempting to buy 20 bell peppers for a dollar, though! Even if I cut them up and freeze them, there's only so much room in my freezer!

Kevyt

Welp, I decided to write some about Ratskenia and the adventures of the Queen! (if that's okay with Ratsky, and everyone else who I listed in my previous post - I'll remove anyone who doesn't want to be part of this silly yet fun LettersGaf fanfic). I'll also add those who want to be part of it. I know I already wrote some people in and their "roles" in my previous post, and some of you may be thinking "oh God this guy is going at it again..." But that was just some brainstorming. Apologies for using anyone's name without asking (as seen in previous post) I can remove anyone if they don't want to be part of this. :)

I asked another gaffer in another thread to write fanfic but he thought I was kidding, so that's where the idea came from. I'll just start by writing some characters and their roles' descriptions. Some background story, and anyone who wants to join in is welcome to. We'll alternate. :p

I know we have some writers in here! Let's get our creative juices flowing. :)

I don't know who I am in this, but I'm most certainly at war with you all.

I will write you in as a Mercenary then.

I see how it is Hobo. :/

I will also write you in!

The only man Ratsky needs is Robert Osborne. ��

I will also write you in HL :)

More fanfic, please. Also, can you give me a reading of my future?

Only if you help me. I will write a part, then you'll write the next and so on. Anyone who wants to chime in is welcome to. Deal?

Your gif is epic.

A Duke. I see clearly now.

:)

Why did you leave me out. o:

I haven't. I was thinking of more members and roles but that's all I had at the moment.

I guess that means you'll have to join me and become a nameless, plague-ridden peasant.

Nah, I already thought of a role for you. :p

I think I'm a pretty common guy to have a special role in the lettersGaf kingdom :p

Yup.

this thread is detrimentally nice at times when everyone can be so quick to just be like "you're amazing!!!! / don't think like that you're so hot!!!!" etc etc as opposed to just be real with them and telling them how it actually is. some people are just very bait in terms of being crushingly depressive about themselves seemingly just to provoke a positive reaction, which is fine if it's genuine. other times it just comes across as fishing for compliments as you said. take for example victor; sure I poke fun at him from time to time but that's only because sometimes I'm genuinely baffled by how some posters react to some of the things he said he does. it's nothing personal.

I guess because it's a way of dealing with depression. I don't blame or look down on anyone who posts about how sad their life is. They do need attention, to know that they matter and that others care for them. I see nothing wrong with that. Annoying? Yes of course it can be, but no harm no foul. :)

As for Victor. I don't think he was particularly fond of the way people were poking fun at him. The thing with joking over a forum where there's a lot of people that can misconstrue things a thousand ways, is that the authenticity of a joke is lost through written word. You cannot tell a person's sentiment when saying this. That is to say, you don't know the tone, body language, facial expressions, cues, etc.. that in real life interaction would make you go "oh I get it, he's just kidding." Sometimes those jokes come off as hostile. The person in the end of said joke maybe does not like such jokes and becomes offended. That is the nature of many of us, as human beings. Therefore I think jokes in forums can go in many wrong ways. It's a delicate thing. Lastly, Victor's last post was this, in response to your joke:

have you gone to the place where you first met? you might find clues there. if not, text him straight away asking "so what are we"
Stay classy gaygaf.

He hasn't posted here ever since. I don't blame you and I don't blame him. Like I said, the nature of jokes is often lost in written text.

There's a fanfic? did I miss something?

Trying to write a LettersGaf fanfic, yes. :)

Planning is difficult, since I tend to not know what I want to eat for that week. I tend to buy discounted meats/veggies/fruits instead and then make dishes when appropriate. But you're right. I should probably look up the discounts before I go in store, then plan, then buy.

Yeah, I've found myself sometimes buying shit because it is discounted and they probably do some clever tricks where it ends up being an insignificant discount. I try to limit this, but I do have a weakness for some things. Like corn on the cob being on sale, or certain fresh fruit.

Thankfully I am already a member of the club. Has saved me a good bit of money. They currently do a "5 for 20" deal where you pick any 5 packages of marked meat, and you get them for 20 dollars. It ends up being a pretty sweet deal, though not the cheapest I guess. Like I got two very nicely sized burger patties (like very large patties, I don't think I could eat two). Which works out to something like a very cheap lunch I can make myself. And yeah I've been doing better to avoid pre-made meals.

Honestly I could probably save even more money if I incorporated meatless mondays into my routine. I just find it very difficult to plan a meal around no meat/fish whatsoever. All the vegetarian proteins just seem kinda meh. I hate beans and lentils. I probably need better vegetarian dish ideas.

Thanks for the tips and advice. I've also recently gotten a rice cooker so that I can buy rice in bulk and easily make it. That should help cut a lot down since I like having a grain with my meals, and rice is cheap.

Sibylus

Banned
- Bo is a powerful sorceress who once conspired against Ratskenia. Alongside a powerful witch known as Butterfly Witch, the two of them nearly defeated Ratskenia and almost overthrew the Monarchy. Yet they made a peace treaty with the Queen, and thus Ratskenia was saved. This was known as the War of Sorcery.
Preserved... for the greater fall to come
fire.gif

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Interview with artist of queer Disney princes. I'm still waiting on Disney to make this a reality.

I appreciate these sentiments. Threads like these have limits for how much support they can offer someone, but I do think they can be beneficial. In the little time I've been here, I know that I've posted comments that were baiting, as well as comments that seemed like baiting but weren't intended to be. I'd like to stop doing this and take on a different role in this thread, but I also hope that other people feel ok with posting in here when they need a pick-me-up.

-Razmos's really cute story-

Ooooooo. I hope you have the opportunity to go back and potentially see him again. I selfishly want to see this turn into something other than exchanged glances.

Only if you help me. I will write a part, then you'll write the next and so on. Anyone who wants to chime in is welcome to. Deal?

I'm willing to be someone you bounce ideas off of or anything like that, but I don't think I'm familiar enough with the community, people's names/personalities, etc. to take on a responsibility as an author. Let me know if there's any way you'd like me to help in a support role!

Hah that's great. Not to encourage wallet-rape, but you should go back soon to grab something else, and try and get a better read on him.

I always feel super socially inept and awkward in situations like these. Internally I'm always "Is he looking back cause there might be something mutual here, or is he a straight dude thinking 'wtf's up with this guy?'" Too many subtleties to deal with for my liking in this scenario.

To be fair, I was only joking. Not to sound egotistical, but I know I'm liked and respected within the LGBT community on NeoGAF. And I have heard whispers of people banned from here, but not those two. Dare I ask for a backstory to each of them?

He's referring to Jeffrey and MidnightScott respectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom