• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ :)OT6(: We’re taking over -- first the alphabet, then the world!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RM8

All I ask for Dark Souls 3 is a cleric that doesn't look like crap :[ I played through Demon's Souls with a priest, but now on Dark Souls (1) I had to switch to thief because I'm shallow and I found the cleric impossibly ugly.

3phemeral

Hannibal is great. It perfectly balances the beautiful and grotesque but if you're not into that type of thing, you might want to avoid it.

All I ask for Dark Souls 3 is a cleric that doesn't look like crap :[ I played through Demon's Souls with a priest, but now on Dark Souls (1) I had to switch to thief because I'm shallow and I found the cleric impossibly ugly.
Why not just use different armor? I mean, everyone can eventually wear anything if you're willing to spend some points.

I just saw the cleric and noped, especially since the thief looks so cool :p
When you say "looks," you mean aesthetically or mechanically?

If just visually, I'm confused because you can basically have a priest that looks like a thief :p Armors aren't specific to any class, just stats.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I rocked the big poofy white robe + cape in Dark Souls 2 for so long.

It's a shame the robe didn't have matching boots or a hat.

RM8

When you say "looks," you mean aesthetically or mechanically?

If just visually, I'm confused because you can basically have a priest that looks like a thief :p Armors aren't specific to any class, just stats.
I know, but initially I thought the thief looked the best, and it's one of my favorite classes in other games anyway. Maybe I should have mentioned that I hope the cleric gets a better starting look :p

I only played Dark Souls 2 and it was a library rental... but I managed to put in 20+ hours into that shit

i swear to god time flew by while i was playing that game, not sure why I haven't bought it yet.

3phemeral

I only played Dark Souls 2 and it was a library rental... but I managed to put in 20+ hours into that shit

i swear to god time flew by while i was playing that game, not sure why I haven't bought it yet.

Amazon had a bunch of sales where it was around 7 bucks. I got one for myself and some as gifts.

Mumei

I just don't like starting any new shows when I'm in the middle of so many others. It's too overwhelming!

Okay, Rose. Hurry up with your other shows. You'll love it.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-18779-1364237683-11.gif

anigif_enhanced-buzz-18731-1364237695-9.gif

anigif_enhanced-buzz-18749-1364237706-3.gif

Well, mark me down as unsurprised.

Kevyt

Come on peeps sign up for our Unofficially Official lettersGaf fanfic!

Come on, some of you said you would be interested. If we can get 10 people at least.

That is all I write ;_;

Awww yasss Delio! With your writing skills this will be good. :3

All I ask for DSIII is a level design similar to Demon's souls. While DS2 was fun, it didn't feel as intricate as Demons Souls level-wise. Most of level progression in DS2 felt linear, in comparison to the interconnected areas and places in Demons Souls and even Dark Souls I.

Hobo I want to be in the fanfic! *3 pages late*

You can sign up for it so you can choose your role. :)

I rocked the big poofy white robe + cape in Dark Souls 2 for so long.

It's a shame the robe didn't have matching boots or a hat.

I have a robe I really like but it doesn't offer same stats as the one I have and it doesn't match anything else I have. I:

anigif_enhanced-buzz-18779-1364237683-11.gif

anigif_enhanced-buzz-18731-1364237695-9.gif

anigif_enhanced-buzz-18749-1364237706-3.gif

Well, mark me down as unsurprised.

I'm not surprised either. But I was happy that the HRC was willing to bring focus groups from outside and release this study to the public. I think this isn't exclusive to the HRC. There are many places in the corporate world where most of the leadership are white males, and there's favoritism towards them especially for promotions and such.

What bothers me is that one would hope that white gay men staff for the Human Rights Campaign would be sensitive and respectful towards their transgenders and women coworkers. Instead they're clueless, sexists and misogynists. I guess boys will be boys... I:

Prototype Viktor
Lauren Hennessey (Male)
Spy
Maybe

Okay, I'll write this in the sign up document. :p

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

I'm working on it! Every episode is on youtube, right?

I hate Marvel so should I skip Daredevil if I'd like to be really selective with shows?

It's okay - better than most of the Marvel films (which isn't saying much at all) - but if you're in the market for a new TV show, there are literally dozens upon dozens of others that you'd be better off checking out instead.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
It's okay - better than most of the Marvel films (which isn't saying much at all) - but if you're in the market for a new TV show, there are literally dozens upon dozens of others that you'd be better off checking out instead.

I'd echo this. On the plus side, Daredevil doesn't feel like it came off the same Marvel cookie-cutter production line; on the negative side, it's not nearly as good as many people make it out to be. The show also - imo - has a solid few episodes to start, and then kind of staggers along (where's the button to skip every scene with Foggy and that annoying blonde assistant?) until things become mildly more interesting in the last two.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
On the plus side, Daredevil doesn't feel like it came off the same Marvel cookie-cutter production line;

True, though I'm hoping this won't be the beginning of a brand new cookie-cutter production line for the rest of the Netflix Marvel series...

on the negative side, it's not nearly as good as many people make it out to be.

As is the case with almost anything comic/Marvel related. >:)

The show also - imo - has a solid few episodes to start, and then kind of staggers along (where's the button to skip every scene with Foggy and that annoying blonde assistant?) until things become mildly more interesting in the last two.

The show was solid throughout the first 8 episodes and then it fell off a cliff imo.

sigh

I guess im staying here in this town and not living in the dorms in college

so wish me luck guys pray for me to not become a complete bitter loser tbh

i feel defeated right now and i just wanna not think about this

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
sigh

:(

Talk to us when you feel comfortable. In the meantime, I hope you're doing what you need.

After we hear a bit more, I'm sure some of us who are in college or have graduated will help you brainstorm ways of making sure this upcoming year is rewarding and awesome.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I will also -1 on Daredevil.

I don't like any of the performances.

Everyone's voice is very "animated," and it's hard to understand what the main character is saying because he has such a muted semi-gruffy voice.

The story lines are mediocre. I don't find any one character relatable or interesting, except for maybe Claire on occasion.

*confused*
New Roman.

Thought just to popped in my head. To all the Bi's, has anyone acres negatively to you for not being/identifying as pansexual instead?
Nope, never.

sigh

What's going on?

I just can't afford it
not without begging my parents for money and i don't wanna do that because it's embarraaing and degrading
i wanted to believe really badly that i would be able to come thru even when they told me i wouldnt be able to do anything and id just come back crawling to them

my financial aid money is just not enough, im looking for a job right now but honestly i just feel so tired and im considering just staying here and letting my parents treat me like shit and just stay in the closet until i move out and rent something someplace

i was dumb and immature and refused to see things how they really where and now im paying for that

i mean i know this seems dumb and dramatic but this was the only hope i had for months

anyway :v im just being weak rn sorry guys

Your feelings are understandable. Your experiences may not be the same if you're not in a dorm, but you can totally have a fulfilling experience none the less. There's definitely no one right way to do things and you're never assured a good time automatically, anyway. I still managed to make some good friends and have a lot of good times.

Source: I first transferred from a community college to my university (but to the campus next to my CC), and then finally transferred to the main campus for the last year and a half.

The living situation you describe sucks, but soon you'll be able to look back and it will all be a distant memory. And you'll be free. But do what's right for you. And that might be more than one potential avenue.

Sai-kun

Banned
1. its okay to be weak. we can't all be strong 100% of the time

2. it is also okay to live at home for a portion/all of college. maybe you will get the funds together for some years in the future. don't think too far ahead and freak yourself out.

3. as embarrassing and degrading as it might be, consider how great it could be and how positive of an experience it could be for you to move out. might be time to swallow that pride.

4. i am sorry youre in this scenario. i hope that you can find a solution that works for you. wishing the best for you honestly.

also read 1. again b/c its tru

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
1. its okay to be weak. we can't all be strong 100% of the time

2. it is also okay to live at home for a portion/all of college. maybe you will get the funds together for some years in the future. don't think too far ahead and freak yourself out.

3. as embarrassing and degrading as it might be, consider how great it could be and how positive of an experience it could be for you to move out. might be time to swallow that pride.

4. i am sorry youre in this scenario. i hope that you can find a solution that works for you. wishing the best for you honestly.

also read 1. again b/c its tru

all of these, especially #3. it might be horrible, but if you think they'd pay for it if you asked, i think it would be a better long term solution than having to stay in a toxic environment for 4+ more years.

Symphonia

Banned
Anyway :v I'm just being weak. I'm sorry, guys.
Wooooah, don't ever apologise. You're not weak, you're human. As Sai said, we can't all be strong all the time. We all have moments of weakness. It's these moments of weakness that make us who we are. If you didn't have moments of weakness, I'd go as far to say there's something wrong with you. Just please don't think there's no hope for you. As I said, if you ever want to talk, I'm here.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Necromanti, Sai, Ratsky, and Biforce have already said some great things, but just to repeat:

1) Weakness is not a fun feeling, but it's a totally human one. That's ok.
2) You can have a great experience in college not living on campus and living on campus isn't a guarantee of anything.
3) It might be worth it trying to find ways of moving out. This is what concerns me:

im considering just staying here and letting my parents treat me like shit

If you can't find a way of moving out, you just can't, and like Sai-kun said, maybe you can start preparing for the following year. However, if you're not in a healthy situation, the struggles of finding and working a job might be worth the freedom of moving out (into a dorm or otherwise). Does your school have any work-study programs or on-campus jobs you could fill? Any cheaper non-dorm options close to the campus that you could live in?

i wanted to believe really badly that i would be able to come thru even when they told me i wouldnt be able to do anything and id just come back crawling to them

Are there any other family members or friends you could talk to about financial support? I'm just a bit wary of you being financially dependent on or obligated to people who you're portraying here as a less-than-positive force in your life. Admittedly, I don't recall your family situation from previous posts, so maybe I'm off-base.

EDIT: If you feel that your home environment isn't a healthy or safe space, I recommend talking to your financial aid office. It will depend a lot on college/university funding, but sometimes colleges/universities are able to help people out in situations like that and occasionally even have specific funds set up to help people of specific identities and/or backgrounds that may have barriers limiting their access to educational opportunities. Also, this may be going a bit too far, but are there any local LGBT groups or scholarship funds available? Sometimes groups like that can be very understanding and helpful when it comes to assisting teens access opportunities that will grant them the ability to live their lives honestly.

I just can't afford it
not without begging my parents for money and i don't wanna do that because it's embarraaing and degrading

my financial aid money is just not enough, im looking for a job right now but honestly i just feel so tired and im considering just staying here and letting my parents treat me like shit and just stay in the closet until i move out and rent something someplace

i was dumb and immature and refused to see things how they really where and now im paying for that

i mean i know this seems dumb and dramatic but this was the only hope i had for months

all of these, especially #3. it might be horrible, but if you think they'd pay for it if you asked, i think it would be a better long term solution than having to stay in a toxic environment for 4+ more years.

Yeah, I have to 2nd #3 as well. Not sure how helpful these might be (gonna guess you've probably considered them) but have you looked into covering costs with loans and/or being an RA?

Yeah, I have to 2nd #3 as well. Not sure how helpful these might be (gonna guess you've probably considered them) but have you looked into covering costs with loans and/or being an RA?
I have to second this suggestion also.
If they'll pay for it, let them.
At the very least, you get to put some distance between you and them. It's better than nothing.

Thank you guys so much for all the advice, I've calmed down a little now and this is what I'm thinking:
I'm going to sit this year out and apply next year, for now I'm just going get a part time job and study while saving up money for next year. By October this year I'll be 18 and that means I'll just be able to turn the application in and pay for everything with the money I've saved up. If in the end that doesn't work out then I guess I'll just keep studying here.

I think this whole thing made me realize that I have a pride problem which I never noticed before. I guess it's a result of the terrible experience I had with coming out to my Mom. I was thinking that my dad would be different until recently I heard him say some homophobic shit. My older Sister is the one that's always had my back in this whole thing, but she's paying for her own education and I don't really feel comfortable asking her for such a large amount of money.

but really, thank you guys for all the incredible advice. I'll just swallow this down and move on. From now on I'm just gonna try to stay positive and focus on what's going on now instead of what will happen 4 years from now.

VegiHam

Thought just to popped in my head. To all the Bi's, has anyone acres negatively to you for not being/identifying as pansexual instead?

I've never really understood why pan exists as a separate label; but I suppose I technically am it. I've met a total of two nonbinary people in my life; and they were both pretty cute so I guess I'm pan anyway. I've never thought of bisexuality as 'attraction to either men or women' though, it's always been 'attraction to men mostly but also other people' so I may not really count.

That said, like that other thread was about last night I have had both straight and gay friends act confused and offended if I express attraction to women and tell me that's not allowed. I do know a bisexual girl who acknowledges pan sexuality exists but doesn't identify as it. Maybe I'll ask her about that.

berzeli

Banned
Wait, we end up having a discussion about the failings of the HRC and talking about biphobia whilst I'm away? Dammit, does this mean I should leave gaf more or less often?

Yeah, the HRC is problematic and has been for ages. I quite liked how Stonewall handled their mea culpa earlier this year with regards to how they've (not) handled trans equality. Article from when they changed their position in February; and an interesting interview with the head of Stonewall from last week. So hopefully the HRC will better themselves in a similar fashion, even though I don't have high hopes for that.

I tend to not want a label put on me, but if pressed I usually go with pansexual (or whatever snarky comment first springs to mind). Honestly, most people are way more confused as to what it means rather than being upset (or something) over the differences between pan and bi.

DOWN

Banned
One more week until the most wonderful time of the year.

I'd say at the very least try the first couple of episodes. If you don't like it then, don't bother. It very well made, if nothing else.

I'm working on it! Every episode is on youtube, right?

Getting overwhelmed looking at all the shows I want to see on Starz/HBO/Netflix/Prime/Cable/Broadcast

I'll skip Daredevil for now at least

Help.gif

it mostly came down to I was driving home listening to podcast and thought about bi-phobia and would it go the "other way" where instead of people trying to force you into picking a gender to be with and instead just wanted to force you to accept all genders as options

it mostly came down to I was driving home listening to podcast and thought about bi-phobia and would it go the "other way" where instead of people trying to force you into picking a gender to be with and instead just wanted to force you to accept all genders as options
We typically do accept all genders as options. The issue is more that some people insist that using 'bisexual' to mean 'attraction to two or more genders' is wrong and we should identify as pansexual instead. Rather than being okay with pansexual and bisexual having overlapping meanings and respecting self-identification and understanding that word meanings change over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom