• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ :)OT6(: We’re taking over -- first the alphabet, then the world!

Status
Not open for further replies.

beril

Also, I read today that Gunman Clive 1 & 2 are coming to Wii U in one digital package at 1080p, 60 fps and 4xAA. Seems pretty cool to me. Just thought I'd give people in here a heads up.

cheers

I didn't want to spoil this until after release but what the heck
AzfDher.gif

congrats to all americans

I had a question in regards to how I phrased something to someone.

Yesterday when the ruling hit, I texted my boss (who's the owner of the store I work at) stating that I was happy that SCOTUS finally did something good for you folks (he's very openly gay).

Now I started thinking about how I phrased the last part, "you folks" and wondered if that comes off in a negative way? My boss knows me and knows I'm totally for this and such, but in my mind I said "you folks" because I'm not a part of that community. I don't know how it is, so I wasn't sure how to phrase it without using other words that might be seen badly like just simply saying gays or something to that regard.

I also realize that I might be overthinking this, but when it comes to communities I have zero experience with, I tend to be a bit socially awkward. So I figured I'd ask here.

Yesterday when the ruling hit, I texted my boss (who's the owner of the store I work at) stating that I was happy that SCOTUS finally did something good for you folks (he's very openly gay).

Now I started thinking about how I phrased the last part, "you folks" and wondered if that comes off in a negative way? My boss knows me and knows I'm totally for this and such, but in my mind I said "you folks" because I'm not a part of that community. I don't know how it is, so I wasn't sure how to phrase it without using other words that might be seen badly like just simply saying gays or something to that regard.

I also realize that I might be overthinking this, but when it comes to communities I have zero experience with, I tend to be a bit socially awkward. So I figured I'd ask here.

You're fired. I'd start looking for a new job as soon as possible. But seriously, I don't know what you're worried about. The context of the message is clearly positive.

7threst

Also, I read today that Gunman Clive 1 & 2 are coming to Wii U in one digital package at 1080p, 60 fps and 4xAA. Seems pretty cool to me. Just thought I'd give people in here a heads up.

Aaargh really? That's the most awesome thing ever! I'm bad at the games but damn, do I love 'em :)

If your boss knows you and how you feel about this I bet you are ok.

You're fired. I'd start looking for a new job as soon as possible. But seriously, I don't know what you're worried about. The context of the message is clearly positive.

Oh I'm not worried about being fired, he is one of the coolest people I know! Love working there and hanging out! I just don't like coming off as a jackass because of perception in the way I speak.

Thanks for the feedback though, appreciate it!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
What would I have to do, just copy the OP? I can do that, yeah.

that's what people generally do, although you should put things into your own words so it's not a direct copy/paste. try not to be lazy, even if you are a cat

don't sweat it. he would literally have to be insane to be offended by that. :p

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member

I wouldn't worry about that. I see what you're saying and think that in other situations "you folks" could seem negative (since it reinforces separation/difference), but here, it sounds perfectly fine and appropriate to me. Considering that your boss and you are on good terms and he knows your beliefs, I'd say you're 100% ok.

Even if he somehow responded negatively to that phrase (I don't really see how he could), your sentiment was positive and that should be what he responds to.

_Isaac

Oh I'm not worried about being fired, he is one of the coolest people I know! Love working there and hanging out! I just don't like coming off as a jackass because of perception in the way I speak.

Thanks for the feedback though, appreciate it!

I don't see how it can come off in a negative way at all, so you're good. It kinda reminds me of that "What do you mean 'you people'!?" scene from Tropic Thunder. :p

Thanks everyone for the feedback! Now I feel a bit better about not potentially dampening a positive event.

I don't see how it can come off in a negative way at all, so you're good. It kinda reminds me of that "What do you mean 'you people'!?" scene from Tropic Thunder. :p

I haven't seen that movie, it's on my watch list though!

Are we spitballing for the new OT subtitle? My submission:

LGBTQIA+ |OT 7| First comes love, then comes marriage

Also, I wrote this on Facebook, but I think it belongs here as well:

As someone who only recently came out as bisexual in December, I feel like this post has been long overdue. Yesterday's historic decision is as good an excuse as any:
To those who didn't hide who they were: Thank you.
To those who never kept quiet, always speaking up for themselves and others: Thank you.
To those who had the courage to be who they are not only without fear, but with *pride*: Thank you.
To those would wouldn't back down when they felt surrounded by a culture that looked down on them: Thank you.
And to those who fought alongside their LGBT friends, family and neighbours, risking ostracization to stand up for a loved one: Thank you.
To those who paved the way: Thank you, thank you, thank you.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I'm writing up something at the moment. Do I need to contact a mod to approve of it first or do I just post it once it is ready?

Wait until we reach 20K posts in here and then just post the new thread in the OT Community. After, contact a mod and ask them to lock this thread. You don't have to run anything by the mods for approval.

Philippo

Happy for you LGBT guys, but i ended up to the Milan Gay Pride without knowing it, completely fell in love with the perfect girl met there, then found her making out with another girl. Quite salty atm i must say :(

Still, nice accomplishment, hope the next step is adoption

Razmos

Happy for you LGBT guys, but i ended up to the Milan Gay Pride without knowing it, completely fell in love with the perfect girl met there, then found her making out with another girl. Quite salty atm i must say :(

Still, nice accomplishment, hope the next step is adoption
Welcome to the club, haha
The amount of straight guys I've been attracted to is depressing.

HylianTom

Banned
Are we spitballing for the new OT subtitle? My submission:

LGBTQIA+ |OT 7| First comes love, then comes marriage

Also, I wrote this on Facebook, but I think it belongs here as well:

As someone who only recently came out as bisexual in December, I feel like this post has been long overdue. Yesterday's historic decision is as good an excuse as any:
To those who didn't hide who they were: Thank you.
To those who never kept quiet, always speaking up for themselves and others: Thank you.
To those who had the courage to be who they are not only without fear, but with *pride*: Thank you.
To those would wouldn't back down when they felt surrounded by a culture that looked down on them: Thank you.
And to those who fought alongside their LGBT friends, family and neighbours, risking ostracization to stand up for a loved one: Thank you.
To those who paved the way: Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Congrats!

Your post is making me tear-up. And I love the subtitle suggestion.

Image suggestion for the next OP:
tumblr_nqkwtpr1191qa21i5o1_500.gif

Or maybe..
tumblr_nqkzdbeQRG1qhzi2jo2_400.gif

Or..?
tumblr_nqkwwuPd511qzwh14o1_500.gif

Congrats!

Your post is making me tear-up. And I love the subtitle suggestion.

Thank you. It's something I've been meaning to put to words for a long time.

Image suggestion for the next OP:
tumblr_nqkwtpr1191qa21i5o1_500.gif

Or maybe..
tumblr_nqkzdbeQRG1qhzi2jo2_400.gif

Or..?
tumblr_nqkwwuPd511qzwh14o1_500.gif

I like the visual theme of the last one, where the rainbow colours are defying the encroaching darkness. But I prefer the first one in general. ^_^

Now all I need are some good suggestions for a title and maybe some gifs to include in the OP.

That subtle shade.

:p

Kater

Banned
The last one is the best one. That change from day to night and then suddenly a rainbow at night. That's pretty cool, gotta say.

That subtle shade.

:p
Nah, I just want to be as neutral as I can be at first, I want everyone to throw out their suggestions and then decide which one to pick out of all of those.
Your suggestion is really not bad but I want to hear other people's suggestions too.

Nah, I just want to be as neutral as I can be at first, I want everyone to throw out their suggestions and then decide which one to pick out of all of those.
Your suggestion is really not bad but I want to hear other people's suggestions too.

Hahaha, I know. I'm just joking around. ^_^

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Wait until we reach 20K posts in here and then just post the new thread in the OT Community.

I thought it was customary to post it in the main OT to get some exposure for people unaware of the thread (which is a lot) and after a few days it's exiled moved over to community.

Razmos

I thought it was customary to post it in the main OT to get some exposure for people unaware of the thread (which is a lot) and after a few days it's exiled moved over to community.
It would be awesome if we get the thread in the OT right now with the marriage equality news and the banner and everything.

That'd be great exposure for the community :p
everyone post more

Sai-kun

Banned

Last time I did that it only took a few hours for it to get moved, but since it's not a huge infraction or ban-worthy, it's worth it to post it on OT for even a little while :3

<- also yay/nay on the rainbow tattoos for my boy Priapus?

Kater

Banned
Last time I did that it only took a few hours for it to get moved, but since it's not a huge infraction or ban-worthy, it's worth it to post it on OT for even a little while :3

I'll do that then. Good idea since it would also bring a lot more new faces here. :)

Depends on where they are.

p.s. I just read that recently lol (english translation obviously). Needed some time alone afterwords.

Dai101

Banned

Yay. Why not?

Also, from the SCOTUS thread:

10400047_946302168726596_9045558315424068333_n.jpg

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
My roommate just moved out, so it looks like I'm going to be in my two-bedroom apartment by myself for the next month and a half. I almost feel guilty that I'm not going to be doing anything new or exciting with the extra space and privacy.

Yay!

Yay. Why not?

Also, from the SCOTUS thread:

10400047_946302168726596_9045558315424068333_n.jpg

That's great. (y)

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

I think that's just an urban legend. When I posted my OT, it got moved into Community almost immediately.

But maybe since it's currently trendy to be gay crazy the mods will allow for a period in the OT? I guess we won't know till we try!

My roommate just moved out, so it looks like I'm going to be in my two-bedroom apartment by myself for the next month and a half. I almost feel guilty that I'm not going to be doing anything new or exciting with the extra space and privacy.

Yay!

That's great. (y)

Why only a month and a half? Also, lots of lube and tissues.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Why only a month and a half? Also, lots of lube and tissues.

My housing contract runs out in mid-August and I didn't try to renew it. I'm moving back home for a bit to save money and finish up my academic work before moving to wherever my job is.

My roommate actually left behind a box of tissues on the kitchen table...haha. Maybe I'll give them away or something.

My housing contract runs out in mid-August and I didn't try to renew it. I'm moving back home for a bit to save money and finish up my academic work before moving to wherever my job is.

My roommate actually left behind a box of tissues on the kitchen table...haha. Maybe I'll give them away or something.

On the kitchen table? Where you eat? Pervert ;p

I know yesterday was stupendous for those of us in the LGBT in the US but I can't help but feel sad for those of us who never lived to see such a moment. Am I over thinking this too much?

Bladenic

On the kitchen table? Where you eat? Pervert ;p

I know yesterday was stupendous for those of us in the LGBT in the US but I can't help but feel sad for those of us who never lived to see such a moment. Am I over thinking this too much?

Nah, it's valid. There are many that probably won't live to see such a moment ever.

Nah, it's valid. There are many that probably won't live to see such a moment ever.

Thing is I have a family friend who's partner died 4 years ago (cancer) and even though he said he wasn't going to get married again (married to a women most of his life), I still feel sorry that he never got to see this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom