• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ :)OT6(: We’re taking over -- first the alphabet, then the world!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kurona_bright

Neo Member
Hm... This post isn't really related to the stuff at hand, but I just had a bit of a nasty shock and I'm not sure where else to post it.

I was at a school club, and then I was really hitting it off with this guy (like platonically :p) and we were talking about Fallen London and Sunless Sea and Smash Bros - and then a little later I bring up Anita Sarkeesian.
Then he and another guy in the club start spouting stuff like 'professional victim,' 'she lies and takes stuff out of context,' 'she steals LP'ers works,' and other GG stuff like that. Oh, and how the freaking mass-murder threat she got for her cancelled university speech was totally "not a threat" - implying that she was just playing up her 'victim' status for that sweet, sweet death threat money. I somehow managed to forget that GG people are actually gamers, and that people who I can have conversation about Sunless Sea and Fallen London and the wonderful writing in those games can hold such awful opinions. :(
I shut it down after like a minute of arguing, because it was 2 against 1 and frankly I couldn't think of all the appropriate responses to their stuff. I'm no good at debating. Bit of a sour taste in my mouth right now.

Kevyt

There was big news when Microsoft bought Skype so maybe that's why, and on consoles, the app is Xbox One exclusive.

That's what I was thinking. I wonder if Skype will eventually come to the ps4.

Hm... This post isn't really related to the stuff at hand, but I just had a bit of a nasty shock and I'm not sure where else to post it.

I was at a school club, and then I was really hitting it off with this guy (like platonically :p) and we were talking about Fallen London and Sunless Sea and Smash Bros - and then a little later I bring up Anita Sarkeesian.
Then he and another guy in the club start spouting stuff like 'professional victim,' 'she lies and takes stuff out of context,' 'she steals LP'ers works,' and other GG stuff like that. Oh, and how the freaking mass-murder threat she got for her cancelled university speech was totally "not a threat" - implying that she was just playing up her 'victim' status for that sweet, sweet death threat money. I somehow managed to forget that GG people are actually gamers, and that people who I can have conversation about Sunless Sea and Fallen London and the wonderful writing in those games can hold such awful opinions. :(
I shut it down after like a minute of arguing, because it was 2 against 1 and frankly I couldn't think of all the appropriate responses to their stuff. I'm no good at debating. Bit of a sour taste in my mouth right now.

Well they probably have some misconceptions about the whole situation. I would avoid the topic with them tbh.

Kinsei

Banned
I probably won;t be posting much, if at all, anymore. I mistakenly thought this site was one of the places I could actually be myself.

kurona_bright

Neo Member
Well they probably have some misconceptions about the whole situation. I would avoid the topic with them tbh.

I dunno, what they were saying was eerily reminiscent to all the pro-GG posters in the GG thread. But yeah, I'm never going to bring this up around them again, because I have a friend in the club and I don't want to stop going. Blah.

EDIT:
^^ Is this about that trans dating thread from earlier? From what it sounds like it was a complete shitshow. :(

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I probably won;t be posting much, if at all, anymore. I mistakenly thought this site was one of the places I could actually be myself.

Don't think like that. This place has a lot of opinions and views and while some can be hurtful there are people around here that accept you for who you are. Just learn to separate the golden eggs from the rotten ones.

Jezan

No! Don't think that. I mean this forum has people from all over the place, of course we will find lots of opinions (some really ignorant). But I think everyone in this thread share something, which is to be a better person and you can be yourself here.

You're always taking the position.

dance+two.gif

daripad

Mmmmmmmmm I just… damn. That's all. Damn.

Ugh.

Bullshit happened.

Wait, what's wrong? Are you two OK? *sends virtual hugs just in case*

Lonely, bored and feeling friendless. :( You?

Just feeling a little lonely but I've been too busy this week so I'm not bored and I know my friends are around. I just wish I had someone special with me, do you know what I mean?

Oh well, we can be your friends :) *sends virtual hugs*

I started watching True Blood. Better late than never, eh?

Oh good, now we'll finally talk about the show :)
j/k, I don't watch TV :S

I age been drinking chocolate milk like no tomorrow

*High five* I'm doing the same right now :p

Wait, what's wrong? Are you two OK? *sends virtual hugs just in case*

Just feeling a little lonely but I've been too busy this week so I'm not bored and I know my friends are around. I just wish I had someone special with me, do you know what I mean?

Oh well, we can be your friends :) *sends virtual hug*

*High five* I'm doing the same right now :p
Thanks for the sentiment man. :)
I just hate how empty my weekends feel.

Yeah, I know exactly how you feel. I just want someone to spend some time with, y know?

garyBig

Lonely, bored and feeling friendless. :( You?

Damn, I'm exactly the same. Had my last exam for the semester on wednesday and now I'm back to feeling suspended in mid-air between wasting time and not even enjoying that.

I know I'll need more people around me or need to find something productive to do if I want to retain any semblance of sanity. It's just really hard without experience in getting people around your nor in ever finding productive stuff to do (okay I sorta kinda started to workout or smth...)

Edit: oh and I definitely would have to do more physical activities to lift my spirits. But I'm too self-conscious to go jogging mid-day, my sleep-wake cycle is so fucked up that it's impossible to do it at sunrise; and at night-time... no that doesn't seem right either. Goodness, prime of civilization - so many people, so much 'opportunity', technology and space... still I'm lonely and don't know where I can just run and breath by myself. Typical urban paradox

_Isaac

Damn, I'm exactly the same. Had my last exam for the semester on wednesday and now I'm back to feeling suspended in mid-air between wasting time and not even enjoying that.

I know I'll need more people around me or need to find something productive to do if I want to retain any semblance of sanity. It's just really hard without experience in getting people around your nor in ever finding productive stuff to do (okay I sorta kinda started to workout or smth...)

That's a weird time for a semester to end. Glad you found an activity though.

Kevyt

I know the feeling. I thought Gaf was a very open-minded place but this doesn't seem to be the case. Some users are really great and nice, others not so much. I also don't feel like posting anymore. I don't feel comfortable about being open about myself anymore.

DOWN

Banned
Wait, what? What thread? Why? Mumei is always calm and he's great at exposing his ideas, I can't believe it. Now I don't feel safe :(

It was a thread about trans perception and acceptance that is now locked.

Besada has posted as a supportive mod if we need assistance here:

Please take the discussion of moderation to a private venue, folks. I am heartbroken over what happened, but it is what it is, and flinging yourselves onto a pyre isn't going to help.

In future, if you need a moderator, feel free to PM me.

terrisus

Yikes. What in the world happened (note this is a rhetorical question, don't worry about answering). I hadn't really been following that other thread (I'm sorry...), and it's hard for me to keep up with this thread at times (sorry about that too...) And now I come in and look through and see all of this...

I was actually coming in here to share a quote from another thread that I really liked, and thought was a really great thing for people to be able to apply to things. And I guess it fits well now too.

I think the most surprising thing I noticed rewatching it last year was that Bill and Ted aren't actually all that dumb. They're not really stupid, they're just uninterested. They know who Napoleon is and that he's related to something called "Waterloo", they know Socrates is spelled differently than it's pronounced, they know at least rudimentary information about most of the historical figures judging by their presentation, and Bill knows what an Oedipal complex is. They just don't care about history all that much, and are focused on music, even if they don't quite know how to get off the ground there, either.

I think Bill and Ted endure because they're not idiots or assholes like they would be if created today. Notice that they're unfailingly polite to just about everyone they meet, and extremely sensitive to how others want to be seen or treated (despite how silly it is that Missy wants to be called "mom" by someone three years younger than her, Bill does try to remember to do it because he knows it's important to her), which is actually just them living their own philosophy of "Be excellent to each other." They aren't jerks to the history teacher who keeps them after class, either, not even behind his back. The only time either of them gets legitimately angry at anyone is when Bill thinks the "Medieval dickweed" has killed Ted. They're ignorant-but-not-stupid slackers who are at heart genuinely kind people, and that wins us over to their side instantly. The sequel forgets this a bit, and doesn't seem to like them very much on top of that, but I'm hoping the much-talked-about third film will bring things back around.

I really liked how that was worded, and I think is a really great way of looking at things...

We're all different, we all have our own eccentricities, our own peculiarities, our own quirks.
None of us are perfect by any stretch of the imagination.

But, for our part of things, for the part that we have control over... Why can't we... why not just...
Be excellent to each other.

i hate when i get all depressed like this - comparing myself to other people and feeling sorry for myself and shit

it happens too often
Same here.

I just want their happiness. I just want friends who want to hang out sometimes. I know, life's not fair like that but damnit I want it to be.

:(

*hugs*

I actually finally have a friend that wants to hang out every now and then. And appreciates my company. It sucks though that he's lazy and probably won't make any effort to maintain the friendship once I graduate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom