• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ :)OT6(: We’re taking over -- first the alphabet, then the world!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kater

Banned
Hi again, thread :D. It's only been... eight months, almost nine 0:).

Yeah, I've been pretty inactive in gaf for the past months (had trouble with emails and stuff), but I'm here again. Positive no one remembers me, since I only posted like 5-6 posts in previous threads, but I guess that's okay. I'm gay and from Finland, and much more active in the skype chat than in this thread or in GAF general (I've had this account for 1.5 years, and still junior status!)

So yeah, just wanted to drop and say hi again.
Hi there, Burby!

original.gif

berzeli

Banned
Yay, moomins! Tove Jansson is a fascinating (and queer!) author, there was a really great documentary that aired last year about her life called "Fånge i Mumindalen" (Prisoner of Moominvalley). But I'm not sure if it's available anywhere with English subtitles.

OMG I adore Moomins.

Best place in Stockholm is the museum to Tove Jansson

I'm fairly certain that it just was a temporary exhibition in Stockholm the museum is in Tampere.

Thanks Kater :). Moomins are from Finland, haha (yet sometimes I have to correct people who think it's from japan :D).

To be fair though, the animated series was made in Japan so it's an understandable mistake.

Kevyt

You see, I read that a lot. I believe everyone does.

And while I believe you are right that Grindr is not the right place to meet someone if you are looking for the one whom will stay, Grindr is not the only way to meet new people. It is, possibly, the easiest and most straight forward, but IT IS NOT THE ONLY WAY, stop telling yourself that. But apart from being easy to meet new people, I reckon it does more harm than good, for a series of reasons. But most of all, because we forget how to interact with real people, like they are, you know..., real people.

I see lots of friends going down that spiral, "I hate gays, I hate the community, I hate this and that", but the thing is: that is not all there is to gay life. Maybe you need new friends, maybe you need to change the scene, or maybe you just need to step back and look carefully to see how things work, and why people act the way they do, and how that is not always "because they are bad/evil/shallow". There is a lot of those things in the LGBT community, but it is expected since most of us grow up learning to hate ourselves and trying hard to get people to like us while we lie to ourselves and everyone about who we really are.

I managed to find a nice group of friends, most of them gay, and a few straight guys and girls and I often meet a lot of new people through them. We are mostly not on the scene (not that there is anything wrong with that), and while there are the exceptions, most of the group is down on earth and you would probably have a hard time differentiating this group from the group of friends I had (still have) when I was in the closet.

And, one last thing, I never really post here, but since it helped me a lot when I was coming out, and trying to figure out who I really am, I urge everyone to read this (I'm sure I'm not the first one doing this):

dv7YGVE.jpg

It is not perfect but it goes into detail of how things works for most gay guys. It is written specifically for gay men (sorry, lesbian/bi/ transgender GAF), but I believe some of the struggles related would resonate to everyone. I have recommend this book or every single gay friend I have since I've read it, and so far, it's got a 100% approval. It opened my eyes to a lot of things I used to do (and still do), and learning WHY I do those things were a great first step to start changing a few behaviours for the better.

If you do read it, please let me know what you think!

I know you were replying to Bladenic, but that's a wonderful book suggestion. I will try to find it and read it.

Hi again, thread :D. It's only been... eight months, almost nine 0:).

Yeah, I've been pretty inactive in gaf for the past months (had trouble with emails and stuff), but I'm here again. Positive no one remembers me, since I only posted like 5-6 posts in previous threads, but I guess that's okay. I'm gay and from Finland, and much more active in the skype chat than in this thread or in GAF general (I've had this account for 1.5 years, and still junior status!)

So yeah, just wanted to drop and say hi again.

Hullo.

Yay, moomins! Tove Jansson is a fascinating (and queer!) author, there was a really great documentary that aired last year about her life called "Fånge i Mumindalen" (Prisoner of Moominvalley). But I'm not sure if it's available anywhere with English subtitles.

I'm fairly certain that it just was a temporary exhibition in Stockholm the museum is in Tampere.

To be fair though, the animated series was made in Japan so it's an understandable mistake.

Yeah, it was a special exhibit in Pippi Longstocking Land, although I think it may be permanent. I really want to see the main museum too!

Does anyone else view GAF on a tablet using mobile version? Is there no gaf loho to click which takes you to the last post you read? It is a pain not having it.

Kinsei

Banned
The PS4 seems like such a weak platform at the moment. It's like most of their games are either cross-gen or remasters which is fine but they're exclusive IPs are so damn weak.

At least Bloodborne is coming out next month.

I really hope we see a lot of new Sony PS4 only games at E3.

So after reading yesterday's thread about the plus sized photoshoped celebrities and the whole debate about fat shaming vs health concerns, I said fuck it and took a couple selfies wearing only my boxers to replace my more carefully selected two year old grindr profile photo of my silhouette against the sun on the beach that hides a lot more of me than it shows but whatever.

For reference I'm 5' 9'' and weight almost 300 lbs, I never had much activity on grindr other that some conversations that went nowhere so maybe I could get some more interest good or bad whatever, after that thread nothing would surprise me, so I set it up and went to sleep. Here is the photo btw. NSFW I know I need a shave

I just got a message that my photo was not approved. :( , like I tough that because the app sometimes looks more like an underwear catalog than a dating app there would be no problem so that was surprising, was it because of my size?, do I need to get onto growlr or some fetish app or something?. I'm about to delete my profile and uninstalling the app.

Mr_Zombie

Does anyone else view GAF on a tablet using mobile version? Is there no gaf loho to click which takes you to the last post you read? It is a pain not having it.

Clicking on the arrow on the right of the thread's name should theoretically take you to the last post you read (and I remember it working like that previously - like few years ago). However, practically, it takes you to the top of the page with said post. Not precisely the functionality you want, but for me, it's sufficient.

I don't think I'm less interested in the medium as such, but my focus has definitely narrowed in a similar way over time. I'd much rather only spend time on things which seem genuinely interesting or worthwhile, rather than uncritically throwing myself at everything available in a given year.

Same here. I'm still interested in video games, still spent a lot of time on GAF, reading about games I will probably never even play. But when it comes to playing, due to the lack of time, I just collect games I want (the ever growing Steam backlog) and play them whenever I have some free time. I try not to throw myself on every big hyped title - nowadays I prefer smaller, indie games or AAA games that can stand the hype period (and are available on sale)...

Unless it's a (Capcom's) Resident Evil game - then I have to have and play it as soon as available. >_>

terrisus

Here is the photo btw. NSFW I know I need a shave

I just got a message that my photo was not approved. :( , like I tough that because the app sometimes looks more like an underwear catalog than a dating app there would be no problem so that was surprising, was it because of my size?, do I need to get onto growlr or some fetish app or something?. I'm about to delete my profile and uninstalling the app.

I've never used that app, but...

That's completely absurd that they would reject that photo.
From the way you described it, I thought you would just be wearing a codpiece or something.

There's basically no reason to reject that, other than "lol guys over a certain weight shouldn't show too much skin."
Which, again, is absurd.

Sai-kun

Banned
im honestly so tired of feeling lonely kill me tbh

tx5jMHn.gif

we're always here for you!!! xoxo

You can sometimes get away with showing the waistband of underwear or your hips, but if it's literally just a photo of you in your underwear, it won't get approved. Trust me, I'm like 5'7, 125, thin as a rail, and it was the same for me when I used Grindr.

DOWN

Banned
So the chances of thinking The Order is great are a bit low now based on many of the reviews, but I can't help thinking I still want to pre-order and support the spectacle.

I admire and really want to experience the style and production values, and certainly don't want to see it die right away with the release of The Order. At the same time, the overall scores and my large backlog, which includes Dragon Age Inquisition right now, are making the decision a bit tough.

So after reading yesterday's thread about the plus sized photoshoped celebrities and the whole debate about fat shaming vs health concerns, I said fuck it and took a couple selfies wearing only my boxers to replace my more carefully selected two year old grindr profile photo of my silhouette against the sun on the beach that hides a lot more of me than it shows but whatever.

For reference I'm 5' 9'' and weight almost 300 lbs, I never had much activity on grindr other that some conversations that went nowhere so maybe I could get some more interest good or bad whatever, after that thread nothing would surprise me, so I set it up and went to sleep. Here is the photo btw. NSFW I know I need a shave

Cute :3 Plus i Find Growlr a nicer all around experience than Grindr. People are more willing to talk, plus sexier people but that's just my opinion ;)

terrisus

So the chances of thinking The Order is great are a bit low now based on many of the reviews, but I can't help thinking I still want to pre-order and support the spectacle.

I admire and really want to experience the style and production values, and certainly don't want to see it die right away with the release of The Order. At the same time, the overall scores and my large backlog, which includes Dragon Age Inquisition right now, are making the decision a bit tough.

I don't follow reviews, and scores are completely meaningless to me.

So, what's wrong with the game?
I had been giving some thought to getting a PS4 for it.

You can sometimes get away with showing the waistband of underwear or your hips, but if it's literally just a photo of you in your underwear, it won't get approved. Trust me, I'm like 5'7, 125, thin as a rail, and it was the same for me when I used Grindr.

Good to know,

I still don't know how some people get away with the pictures I've seen there. :p

Cute :3 Plus i Find Growlr a nicer all around experience than Grindr. People are more willing to talk, plus sexier people but that's just my opinion ;)

Thank you, maybe I'll give it a try anyway, I don't know how popular that app is where I live.

Sai-kun

Banned
Good to know,

I still don't know how some people get away with the pictures I've seen there. :p

Thank you, maybe I'll give it a try anyway, I don't know how popular that app is where I live.

yeah, some pics definitely get in through the cracks, i'm sure, but i'd like to think they would be pretty even about moderation when they catch it.

I don't follow reviews, and scores are completely meaningless to me.

So, what's wrong with the game?
I had been giving some thought to getting a PS4 for it.

its like 5 hours long and they still chargin $60 for it

depends on how much you want out of your money

terrisus

its like 5 hours long and they still chargin $60 for it

depends on how much you want out of your money

Is it just purely linear, or can you wander around and explore?
I like wandering around and exploring, and the game's setting appeals to me.

mantidor

You have to configure it in your preferences, the default is last page.

It also seems to forget your exact post after a while, but I'm talking about months.

Also you guys are depressing me with the sad stories, it does sucks to be alone :( this past carnaval was pretty heavy for me too, a fight with a friend that I do liked a lot. I'm glad about my close circle of friends, it isn't huge but the support they give is more than enough, but it still was crappy.

Is it just purely linear, or can you wander around and explore?
I like wandering around and exploring, and the game's setting appeals to me.

I get the impression that the setting is wasted on a very linear game. Bloodbourne will do the whole gothic wherewolves monsters action steampunk thing much better.

terrisus

I get the impression that the setting is wasted on a very linear game. Bloodbourne will do the whole gothic wherewolves monsters action steampunk thing much better.

Aww, but I just want the Gothic part, not so much the werewolves monsters action steampunk (or blood) parts >.>

Kaiser_Glider

Neo Member
I guess The Order just has an amazing presentation then... like I always thought it would be. Oh well, it's not like I have a PS4 at the moment anyways. And well in my case, videogames are my passion, and that interest hasn't dwindled at all, in fact now that I think about it as I got older I was even more interested in learning more about them, and all the neat little details that you take for granted when you're just growing up playing them, like all the secrets sometimes developers hide in their games, or where they get the inspiration from and that sort of stuff. I just appreciate the medium more now that I'm old
er
. It helps I'm not a big TV or movie aficionado as well I guess, similar to RM8.

I started replaying my Metroid Prime Trilogy disc when the eShop version got released, and I'm now on Corruption, and I still get impressed by everything in those games, and have fun like you wouldn't believe. I mean, I can get critical of games if I want (I review them for a site after all) but my mindset when playing any videogame is just to enjoy them, and don't get cynical about them, that's been key for me I think.

Errr anyways, I rambled on too long about this. Sorry. :p

RM8

I honestly can't tell what's true or not in that thread anymore, lol, but if The Order indeed has a total of ~3 hours of gameplay... well, that's a pretty tough sell and I can understand the backlash, since I don't think it was being touted as a Heavy Rain kind of game.

terrisus

QUOTE=Kaiser_Glider;152796200]It helps I'm not a big TV or movie aficionado as well I guess, similar to RM8.[/QUOTE]

Same.

Not big into television, and not into movies or music at all.
So, plenty of time for games!

I honestly can't tell what's true or not in that thread anyhow, lol

I mean, after we got people in here saying they didn't like Chrono Trigger, everything else just flew out the window >.>

Just found out that Willam is going to be here in vancouver tonight. Chances of there being any tickets for it this last minute is probably close to zero. Wahhhhh ;____; I wish I had known earlier.

Cuddler

Always cute! You should try to submit a similar photo but with pants on, would be interesting to see if it will be accepted.

Bladenic

Good post Frodo. I should explain that I was merely upset last night, I don't feel that way at all.

As for me, it's definitely very hard meeting anyone outside Grindr. I mean I have met gay guys outside of that, but very rarely and unfortunately never once someone I was interested. But trust me, my post was merely emotionally exaggerated.

I will check that book out, sounds interesting!

terrisus

Question: why do guys (and girls) look hotter in monochrome?

Like, scientifically, what makes this happen? I don't get it.

They don't.
And I don't know why people always take so many pictures like that.

Is it like the "selfie" version of Gaming's "Brown and gritty?"

Just found out that Willam is going to be here in vancouver tonight. Chances of there being any tickets for it this last minute is probably close to zero. Wahhhhh ;____; I wish I had known earlier.

Is it at a bar, and if so can you just go to the bar to get drinks without going to the show?

Question: why do guys (and girls) look hotter in monochrome?

Like, scientifically, what makes this happen? I don't get it.

They do.
But I can't say why.

So they might not I guess.
I think it's because with less information your brain fill the blanks, so you somehow match the skin, eye and hair color in the picture to match your expectations. That's my theory

Then you see the guy in color and get microdissapointed.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Hides blemishes and we're culturally primed to associate black and white with vintage classiness.

VegiHam

I think it's because with less information your brain fill the blanks, so you somehow match the skin, eye and hair color in the picture to match your expectations. That's my theory

Then you see the guy in color and get microdissapointed.
Then how come it still works if I know full well what the dude looks like in colour before seeing him in black and white. No disappointment there.
Hides blemishes and we're culturally primed to associate black and white with vintage classiness.
Hmmm, the blemishes thing is a great point actually. Could be that.

Frodo

I know you were replying to Bladenic, but that's a wonderful book suggestion. I will try to find it and read it.

I bought the digital version, because it was easier to find. It was reasonably cheap. Do read it. It is a great book, IMHO.

Hullo.

Wonderful post, Frodo .

...and welcome Burbeting !

Good post Frodo. I should explain that I was merely upset last night, I don't feel that way at all.

As for me, it's definitely very hard meeting anyone outside Grindr. I mean I have met gay guys outside of that, but very rarely and unfortunately never once someone I was interested. But trust me, my post was merely emotionally exaggerated.

I will check that book out, sounds interesting!

Wow Frodo. Your post really hit home for me, as well..

Thanks for kind of renewing and refreshing my perspective a bit :)

:)

I think it is very easy to lose sight at times. Some experiences may be frustrating, but that is not exclusive to the gay community, it happens everywhere. It is good to keep things in perspective, and if things are not working the way you expect it might be worth to change a thing or two. And at the same time the gay community can be toxic and self-destructive it can be caring and loving, again, just like everywhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom