• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ :)OT6(: We’re taking over -- first the alphabet, then the world!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crayons

Banned
I have a pretty good idea of the INFP type, you guys are generally pretty easy to get along with ime. My older sister is one and one of my best friends in high school was, too. I'm supposed to be an INFJ.

I feel like you have to try really hard to not get along with me in order to do so.

I feel like you have to try really hard to not get along with me in order to do so.

For me personally, the way I wouldn't get along with my sister and my friend would be I'd offend them somehow (and I wouldn't know why) and they'd keep it to themselves while I'd keep trying to pull it out of them. And this is kind of normal for both of us. For people who use introverted feeling (INFPs), you have very strong subjective values, and as is the case with all introverted functions you're not really into sharing them with the world unless you really have a reason to. INFJs use extroverted feeling, which is kind of the opposite, it's more about being 'on the same page' as people in your environment, and so the value judgments are less subjective or personal, in that way. It also seeks more validation and harmony in the environment. I could just feel that I wronged them somehow and I would want to get on the same page so I could 'fix' it. And they'd even more pissed off at me, and shut down even more, because I was trying to invade their emotional space.

So I guess it can happen, but between two introverted feelers probably any disagreement that does emerge isn't going to be acrimonious or anything. One of the things that really made me consider the value of the MBTI thing, is that it actually improved my interaction with others because I was able to get a crude idea of how other people might see the world differently.

DOWN

Banned
I've got the opening to "Hollaback Girl" stuck in my head and I don't mind. From the comments section I've learned it is also in the leaked Deadpool test footage.

i83DUZ2.gif

UH HUH, THIS MY SH**. All the girls stomp your feet like this.

Crayons

Banned
For me personally, the way I wouldn't get along with my sister and my friend would be I'd offend them somehow (and I wouldn't know why) and they'd keep it to themselves while I'd keep trying to pull it out of them. And this is kind of normal for both of us. For people who use introverted feeling (INFPs), you have very strong subjective values, and as is the case with all introverted functions you're not really into sharing them with the world unless you really have a reason to. INFJs use extroverted feeling, which is kind of the opposite, it's more about being 'on the same page' as people in your environment, and so the value judgments are less subjective or personal, in that way. It also seeks more validation and harmony in the environment. I could just feel that I wronged them somehow and I would want to get on the same page so I could 'fix' it. And they'd even more pissed off at me, and shut down even more, because I was trying to invade their emotional space.

So I guess it can happen, but between two introverted feelers probably any disagreement that does emerge isn't going to be acrimonious or anything. One of the things that really made me consider the value of the MBTI thing, is that it actually improved my interaction with others because I was able to get a crude idea of how other people might see the world differently.

Those are some really wise words man.
If I step on someones toes, we both feel it.

Those are some really wise words man.
If I step on someones toes, we both feel it.

It's kind of interesting, because INFPs (Fi-Ne-Si-Te) and INFJs (Ni-Fe-Ti-Se) share none of the same four main functions, which can result in a bit of communication barrier. Yet NFs in general are going to share fairly similar values (authenticity and integrity, etc), and tend to come to some very similar conclusions about life, at the same time that we might not really 'get' how the other thinks on a more individual level. So there can be a bit of an illusory play between similarity and dissimilarity, where it can be hard to understand the meaningful ways in which you do differ, yet it's relevant in terms of actually getting along well.

ENFP for life

Yas. I like ExxPs, dominant extroverted perceiving functions (Ne, Se) are fun.

Giever

Not to rain on the MBTI fun, but I suggest you all try re-taking your various tests in about 5 weeks and see what classification your glorified horoscopes very credible personality tests give you then. Apparently there's about a 50% chance that you'll fall into a different personality category!

Crayons

Banned
Not to rain on the MBTI fun, but I suggest you all try re-taking your various tests in about 5 weeks and see what classification your glorified horoscopes very credible personality tests give you then. Apparently there's about a 50% chance that you'll fall into a different personality category!

Oh I've taken it a bunch of different times and have gotten results differently every time, but this time it really feels true

The tests aren't the basis of the theory, but rather a really crude and superficial implementation of the theory. Most people familiar with the type theory probably wish the online tests would go away, because it's not an accurate method. You 'correctly' assess type by understanding its Jungian basis. Like a lot of old school personality theory (say, Horney, for example), it's not really scientific. Even among his contemporaries (Freud), Jung was a bit of a crack pot. But when you actually understand the theory, it isn't ambiguous at all. Each of the eight cognitive functions are totally distinct in a way that, say, astrological signs are not. What they actually relate to, who fucking knows, it's not like it's falsifiable, but that still doesn't mean that it can't be a useful heuristic for understanding intrapersonal or interpersonal dynamics.

WonderzL

Banned
I've consistently taken INFJ on these tests. It's fun everytime someone revives this on Twitter, but I don't take it very seriously. It's just silly fun

Giever

The tests aren't the basis of the theory, but rather a really crude and superficial implementation of the theory. Most people familiar with the type theory probably wish the online tests would go away, because it's not an accurate method. You 'correctly' assess type by understanding its Jungian basis. Like a lot of old school personality theory (say, Horney, for example), it's not really scientific. Even among his contemporaries (Freud), Jung was a bit of a crack pot. But when you actually understand the theory, it isn't ambiguous at all. Each of the eight cognitive functions are totally distinct in a way that, say, astrological signs are not. What they actually relate to, who fucking knows, it's not like it's falsifiable, but that still doesn't mean that it can't be a useful heuristic for understanding intrapersonal or interpersonal dynamics.

Ehh... there's a lot of issues with the tests, and that's the main thing I was calling out, but I still don't think it's a particularly great or useful theory. As you say, it isn't really falsifiable, so it's pseudo-science at best. But let's put that aside and speak purely about practicality.

I just don't see how finding a predetermined type that you feel defines you better than the other predetermined types among a set of an arbitrary number of predetermined types is a very good way of helping an individual better understand themselves.

Some people, when they discover which category they fall in (probably from taking one of the tests) think along the lines of "now I understand why I'm the way I am!" but that's a horrible way of interpreting the intent of the theory, since it assumes that there's some actually present type (like, physically in the world, a particular way certain brains work) that you fall into that determines how you think and act. Nothing against the theory explicitly, but that's a potentially dangerous mistaken assumption to make.

Another problem that isn't explicitly the theory's fault is that, despite it not being recommended or probably even legal to do so, I've heard tell of some employers actually utilizing MBTI in important decisions (hiring/firing/promoting/who-works-with-who/etc.), and that is a pretty awful thing.

Basically, the theory alone is fine and harmless, but it gets misused and misunderstood in so many ways that, since it isn't very valuable in itself in my opinion, I'd rather it just kind of be forgotten and put aside, tbh.

Really, though, I was just poking some fun and pointing out some statistics because I find the tests silly and unreliable, but you forced me to think about it a bit more deeply, and this is what I came up with.

EDIT: Haha, I feel like I'm making a weird first(ish) impression here. I've lurked occasionally, but this is really the only stuff I get worked up enough about to bother to actually post. :p

Ehh... there's a lot of issues with the tests, and that's the main thing I was calling out, but I still don't think it's a particularly great or useful theory. As you say, it isn't really falsifiable, so it's pseudo-science at best. But let's put that aside and speak purely about practicality.

I just don't see how finding a predetermined type that you feel defines you better than the other predetermined types among a set of an arbitrary number of predetermined types is a very good way of helping an individual better understand themselves.

Some people, when they discover which category they fall in (probably from taking one of the tests) think along the lines of "now I understand why I'm the way I am!" but that's a horrible way of interpreting the intent of the theory, since it assumes that there's some actually present type (like, physically in the world, a particular way certain brains work) that you fall into that determines how you think and act. Nothing against the theory explicitly, but that's a potentially dangerous mistaken assumption to make.

Another problem that isn't explicitly the theory's fault is that, despite it not being recommended or probably even legal to do so, I've heard tell of some employers actually utilizing MBTI in important decisions (hiring/firing/promoting/who-works-with-who/etc.), and that is a pretty awful thing.

Basically, the theory alone is fine and harmless, but it gets misused and misunderstood in so many ways that, since it isn't very valuable in itself in my opinion, I'd rather it just kind of be forgotten and put aside, tbh.

Really, though, I was just poking some fun and pointing out some statistics because I find the tests silly and unreliable, but you forced me to think about it a bit more deeply, and this is what I came up with.

EDIT: Haha, I feel like I'm making a weird first(ish) impression here. I've lurked occasionally, but this is really the only stuff I get worked up enough about to bother to actually post. :p

What commonly available cultural resources do people have to better understand themselves? You have some personality indexes like the big five, but that didn't catch on because it's too abstract and variegated to have any sense of what it's really pointing to. A useful heuristic is one that people can use for their desired purpose. It seems strange to criticize the theory for not being the best way to understand oneself, when there are limited options, and most people don't even seem terribly interested in understanding themselves (so why discourage them?). The process of coming to know yourself is extremely complex and ambiguous. Personality theories all provide demarcations that wouldn't otherwise be there. They get some things right, and some things wrong, overemphasize some things and under-emphasize others, and they all try to reduce a complex and likely uniquely individual phenomenon as 'personality' down to something that's potentially intelligible to our more finite intellect. Patterns and models are certainly useful.

It just isn't terribly useful if it isn't followed up on, they aren't meant to be free-standing things, and maybe that's what you meant. But all of the personality theories (Freud, Jung, Adler, Horney, Erikson, etc, etc) have their uses. But it's more in applying them judiciously, knowing how and why they are meant to 'work', and abandoning them when they cease being useful. Anyone can be critical about what they read, or decide to use some point or concept to jump off and do some real introspection about themselves.

Kater

Banned
I got ENFP this time, it was still INFP when I felt like shit a couple of months ago.

I've consistently taken INFJ on these tests. It's fun everytime someone revives this on Twitter, but I don't take it very seriously. It's just silly fun
Yeah, I see it that way too, it's just a silly timewaster, equivalent to playing flash games on newgrounds or something.

Giever

What commonly available cultural resources do people have to better understand themselves? You have some personality indexes like the big five, but that didn't catch on because it's too abstract and variegated to have any sense of what it's really pointing to. A useful heuristic is one that people can use for their desired purpose. It seems strange to criticize the theory for not being the best way to understand oneself, when there are limited options, and most people don't even seem terribly interested in understanding themselves (so why discourage them?). The process of coming to know yourself is extremely complex and ambiguous. Personality theories all provide demarcations that wouldn't otherwise be there. They get some things right, and some things wrong, overemphasize some things and under-emphasize others, and they all try to reduce a complex and likely uniquely individual phenomenon as 'personality' down to something that's potentially intelligible to our more finite intellect. Patterns and models are certainly useful.

I suppose I'm being closed-minded about the usefulness people could actually get out of these things. I, personally, don't see the value in finding a personality type you roughly fit in and using that to understand yourself. If anything, I suspect it would be a detriment to better understanding yourself because it places arbitrary walls around your identity. I don't see that reduction of complexity as a particularly necessary or useful step in understanding oneself.

Yes, all attempts at broadly explaining and categorizing and understanding personality are going to do something along those lines. Yes, there aren't necessarily any better alternatives if that's the kind of thing you're looking for. But, no, I don't really think it's unfair to criticize the theory for doing that, or even criticizing all theories for doing that. Maybe it's just a mistaken way of going about it? It's not like I begrudge them for trying, or anything, though.

That being said, I'm sure there's value in there somewhere that people can make use of. There's value in most things.

It just isn't terribly useful if it isn't followed up on, they aren't meant to be free-standing things, and maybe that's what you meant. But all of the personality theories (Freud, Jung, Adler, Horney, Erikson, etc, etc) have their uses. But it's more in applying them judiciously, knowing how and why they are meant to 'work', and abandoning them when they cease being useful.

I'll agree with that, I think. The main issues I discussed earlier have to do with individuals either misusing or misunderstanding the intent of the theory (at least, according to my understanding of it). I'm still not particularly a fan of it, and I do think it can be more of a hindrance than a help, depending on how someone runs with it, but I'm sure it can be a helpful thing to some if used in a beneficial way, even if it's not ideal.

Giever

As an aside, welcome (back?) to the thread. :)

Hey, thanks! I also just noticed that there's an IceBreaker Questionnaire (IBQ)™, so maybe I should do that before I go to sleep (even if I disappear forever and never post again, people will at least know my favorite video games).

Your gender? Male.
Your sexual orientation? Bisexual, or maybe questioning? I don't think too hard about it.
Where Are You From? These United States of America
Where Do You Live? This single New York state of America
How Old Are you? Twenty-five.
Favorite Type of Music? Jazz? Nerd Rock?
V-video game music..?
Profession or Career interest? Fuck if I know, man. I need a passion.
Favorite video game(s)? This would be too absurdly long. I'll pick two from dozens: EarthBound & Super Metroid.
What are your hobbies (other than gaming)? Philosophy, film, making people laugh, comics, sleepily answering questionnaires, books, etc. Mainly media consumption right now, unfortunately, tbh. :(

G'night alphabetGAF

My school gym is free so I think Im going to start going on Monday. I already checked FitnessGaf and have my workout all ready. This wont be my first time in a weight room seeing as I played football in highschool and used to have a gym membership a few years back. Its exciting, I havent worked out in forever. I'll be going at night, I just hope it's empty

Wish me luck!

My school gym is free so I think Im going to start going on Monday. I already checked FitnessGaf and have my workout all ready. This wont be my first time in a weight room seeing as I played football in highschool and used to have a gym membership a few years back. Its exciting, I havent worked out in forever. I'll be going at night, I just hope it's empty

Wish me luck!

Good luck! Remember to stretch appropriately.

I'm bloody sick of eating so much protein to gain musclemass.

I mean, I can see results....but...just...ugh !
Edit:
^ good luck :p

Annoying, isn't it? I now loathe milk and cheese and steak. :c

daripad

Speaking of fitness, I've been losing weight the last three weeks (sorry, it wasn't months), it's happening!

In other news, with all the news (lol) of a gay marriage in my state, the topic has been debated in social media and seeing a lot of the comments, they gave me cancer, really, lots of people with horrible orthography and all of them bringing god and religion to the discussion, it brings tears to my eyes. It's so unfortunate that people around me think that way, it doesn't feel good and makes me less comfortable with my sexuality just when I was talking about it with freedom at school.

Mr_Zombie

Also why is The Velvet Rage not on Kindle?

I saw the Kindle edition on both US and UK Amazon sites.

In other news, with all the news (lol) of a gay marriage in my state, the topic has been debated in social media and seeing a lot of the comments, they gave me cancer, really, lots of people with horrible orthography and all of them bringing god and religion to the discussion, it brings tears to my eyes. It's so unfortunate that people around me think that way, it doesn't feel good and makes me less comfortable with my sexuality just when I was talking about it with freedom at school.

Add "it destroys the traditional marriage" and "gays = pedophiles!" and you have the "discussion" about civilian union (not even gay marriage - Poland doesn't even allow civilian union between two people of same sex) that's been going on in my country for few years now. :/

And congrats on the weight losing :)

DOWN

Banned

Wish me luck!

Speakimg of fitness, I've been losing weight the last three months, it's happening!

Cheers to improving health
and hot bods
guys. I've only been at the gym just over a week and today my calves (or were those ankles, Escape Goat?) are extremely sore, but I feel good about it.

Got ENFP on the MBTI test thingy. No idea what that supposedly means; I'm not familiar with the ubderlying theory. Like most online tests, though, I'm going with the reasonable assumption it's not exactly an accurate test, in addition to it all likely being outdated psychology.

garyBig

INFP I got. Seems a very accurate description.

EDIT: I know it's all rather self-fulfilling in the sense that maybe all other 'types' talk about the same thing all the time, but I can't stop reading about other INFP's experiences with procrastination and thinking "this is SO me". Always putting assignments off until the very last minute and still getting best grades for them, making me procrastinate even more because I never see any negative consequences that might cause me to change my behaviour. At the same time always worrying about procrastination and not being able to enjoy spending time on other things when I 'should' be doing the assignment instead but find myself physically unable to begin the project until the deadline comes dangerously close. When it does tho, I feel high and get my perfectionist focus and I will do nothing else until it's finished. If I could only summon these bursts of uncanny efficiency and flashes of brilliance whenever I wanted. But it's a vicious cycle and I can't stop it.
Whatever my personality might be, this is a huge part of it I'd say.

Right now I have 21 days until my 10-15 page paper is due and I just KNOW this will end weird again. I just hope it doesn't end with me doing an all-nighter the night before like I did in my first semester. Got best grade for that one, but I literally looked like a corpse when I gave it to the guy

I saw the Kindle edition on both US and UK Amazon sites.

Add "it destroys the traditional marriage" and "gays = pedophiles!" and you have the "discussion" about civilian union (not even gay marriage - Poland doesn't even allow civilian union between two people of same sex) that's been going on in my country for few years now. :/

And congrats on the weight losing :)

But it doesn't have a price nor allow you to actually buy the kindle version. Or can you,take a screenshot?

bigkrev

Depending on the test, I always get either ISTJ or ENTJ. I would consider myself more introverted than extroverted, though.

Sai-kun

Banned
ENFP buddies.

! *brofist* <3

Yas. I like ExxPs, dominant extroverted perceiving functions (Ne, Se) are fun.

<3 we like you too <3

Yeah I know it doesn't mean much, but every time I've taken it (which is a lot over a couple years honestly), I've always gotten ENFP.

Edit: am I not hungover enough to go to the gym today...

Maybe. Someone make me go to the gym today pls ;(

Hey, thanks! I also just noticed that there's an IceBreaker Questionnaire (IBQ)™, so maybe I should do that before I go to sleep (even if I disappear forever and never post again, people will at least know my favorite video games).

Your gender? Male.
Your sexual orientation? Bisexual, or maybe questioning? I don't think too hard about it.
Where Are You From? These United States of America
Where Do You Live? This single New York state of America
How Old Are you? Twenty-five.
Favorite Type of Music? Jazz? Nerd Rock?
V-video game music..?
Profession or Career interest? Fuck if I know, man. I need a passion.
Favorite video game(s)? This would be too absurdly long. I'll pick two from dozens: EarthBound & Super Metroid.
What are your hobbies (other than gaming)? Philosophy, film, making people laugh, comics, sleepily answering questionnaires, books, etc. Mainly media consumption right now, unfortunately, tbh. :(

G'night alphabetGAF
Welcome! :)
Hope you like it here.
Speaking of fitness, I've been losing weight the last three weeks (sorry, it wasn't months), it's happening!

Congrats on losing some pounds and being healthy. :)
I'll always be your friend Kater, you're awesome. :)
What's your favorite type of cheese?

Replicant

Welp

There goes another one I thought was different and liked

I hate dating. I hate gays. And I hate being gay. Like not self loathing but just like the community and ugh idk it all sucks.

Also I keep telling myself "you'll never meet anyone good on Grindr stop trying" yet I keep going back on my word because it seems someone is different. But nope. And beside that, it's like impossible to meet gays unless you use an app or go to the gay bars (of which there is one in my town and very clickey and just Grindr guys anyway).

Heh. I know the feeling but in some ways it's comforting knowing I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Mr_Zombie

But it doesn't have a price nor allow you to actually buy the kindle version. Or can you,take a screenshot?

This is the link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007XUGCUM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

But there was something weird going on yesterday, because when I first looked for the book on Amazon US the Kindle edition wasn't for sale (as you said, it was listed, but without a price). Then I tried the Amazon UK - the book was there, but since my account is registered on the US site I couldn't buy it. Then I returned to the US site and suddenly the Kindle edition was available.

VegiHam

Letters Gaf getting extra lettery this week. I can never remember what the stuff on these tests stand for and whenever I get a result I always read it and think it sounds nothing like me *shrug*

This is the link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007XUGCUM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

But there was something weird going on yesterday, because when I first looked for the book on Amazon US the Kindle edition wasn't for sale (as you said, it was listed, but without a price). Then I tried the Amazon UK - the book was there, but since my account is registered on the US site I couldn't buy it. Then I returned to the US site and suddenly the Kindle edition was available.

Huh thanks for the help. So weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom