• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Liberal writers, scholars, and historians pen open letter to end cancel culture

ManaByte

Our cultural institutions are facing a moment of trial. Powerful protests for racial and social justice are leading to overdue demands for police reform, along with wider calls for greater equality and inclusion across our society, not least in higher education, journalism, philanthropy, and the arts. But this needed reckoning has also intensified a new set of moral attitudes and political commitments that tend to weaken our norms of open debate and toleration of differences in favor of ideological conformity. As we applaud the first development, we also raise our voices against the second. The forces of illiberalism are gaining strength throughout the world and have a powerful ally in Donald Trump, who represents a real threat to democracy. But resistance must not be allowed to harden into its own brand of dogma or coercion—which right-wing demagogues are already exploiting. The democratic inclusion we want can be achieved only if we speak out against the intolerant climate that has set in on all sides.

The free exchange of information and ideas, the lifeblood of a liberal society, is daily becoming more constricted. While we have come to expect this on the radical right, censoriousness is also spreading more widely in our culture: an intolerance of opposing views, a vogue for public shaming and ostracism, and the tendency to dissolve complex policy issues in a blinding moral certainty. We uphold the value of robust and even caustic counter-speech from all quarters. But it is now all too common to hear calls for swift and severe retribution in response to perceived transgressions of speech and thought. More troubling still, institutional leaders, in a spirit of panicked damage control, are delivering hasty and disproportionate punishments instead of considered reforms. Editors are fired for running controversial pieces; books are withdrawn for alleged inauthenticity; journalists are barred from writing on certain topics; professors are investigated for quoting works of literature in class; a researcher is fired for circulating a peer-reviewed academic study; and the heads of organizations are ousted for what are sometimes just clumsy mistakes. Whatever the arguments around each particular incident, the result has been to steadily narrow the boundaries of what can be said without the threat of reprisal. We are already paying the price in greater risk aversion among writers, artists, and journalists who fear for their livelihoods if they depart from the consensus, or even lack sufficient zeal in agreement.

This stifling atmosphere will ultimately harm the most vital causes of our time. The restriction of debate, whether by a repressive government or an intolerant society, invariably hurts those who lack power and makes everyone less capable of democratic participation. The way to defeat bad ideas is by exposure, argument, and persuasion, not by trying to silence or wish them away. We refuse any false choice between justice and freedom, which cannot exist without each other. As writers we need a culture that leaves us room for experimentation, risk taking, and even mistakes. We need to preserve the possibility of good-faith disagreement without dire professional consequences. If we won’t defend the very thing on which our work depends, we shouldn’t expect the public or the state to defend it for us.

Of course no one will listen to this because J.K. Rowling signed it.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Do we think this has any chance?

At this point, it feels like the guy on the out of control train, about to fall through the broken bridge, suggesting that the train should indeed, slow down.

At the same time, I've always thought that the only chance for leftists to deradicalize, short of being rendered impotent and irrelevant by society, would be for a movement to come from within. It isn't always a sure thing, and most often leads to cancellation, but sometimes leftists listen to ideas like these, if they come from other leftists.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Do we think this has any chance?

At this point, it feels like the guy on the out of control train, about to fall through the broken bridge, suggesting that the train should indeed, slow down.

At the same time, I've always thought that the only chance for leftists to deradicalize, short of being rendered impotent and irrelevant by society, would be for a movement to come from within. It isn't always a sure thing, and most often leads to cancellation, but sometimes leftists listen to ideas like these, if they come from other leftists.
You know, it does not have chance, because it does not operate on logical basis. Nowadays is "nothing is true, everything is permitted", back when I played AC like 10 years back it seemed like a really bad quote and now it makes perfect sense.

ZehDon

Well, I guess who we know who are getting cancelled next at least 🙄

Anyway, good for them to highlight this issue. I doubt anyone who needs it listen will hear it, though.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Social media will need to be restricted or have its rules rewritten in some form for cancel culture to end, because as it is now, social media is the platform where everything is amplified to the max, making this disgusting shit to gain foot hold in a way we haven't experienced before. If it does, I think cancel culture will fall flat on its face and things will revert back to normalcy.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Took this spineless cunt a whopping 10 hours to backpedal on it.

Remember, even if you agree with something, to the point where you sign your name on it, if people you don't like also agree with it, you should immediately change your mind and beg forgiveness.

Amory

Remember, even if you agree with something, to the point where you sign your name on it, if people you don't like also agree with it, you should immediately change your mind and beg forgiveness.

Jfc

Coolwhhip

Neophyte

Oh god, why are people on twitter so pathetic? That tweet can only be written by someone that was born without a spine.

Who is this person even groveling for? The twitter mob? Her PRECIOUS followers? Fuck me.

Last edited:

Riastrad

Banned
Cancel culture is just another word for the anti-white agenda. Trying to fight it with more liberalism is like trying to douse a fire with gasoline. Anything less than a total rejection of its foundational principles is destined for failure.

StonedRider

This is good. I hope they will be taken seriously and not blamed as a group of "white supermacist nazis". The more famous and influential people will talk about this issues the better. There is hope for sanity and rational thinking. Emotions should not have place in serious discussions.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Cancel culture is just another word for the anti-white agenda. Trying to fight it with more liberalism is like trying to douse a fire with gasoline. Anything less than a total rejection of its foundational principles is destined for failure.

WTF?

Anyway fuck cancel culture and the gotcha games and purity tests. Nobody is pure and if you play these games, they’ll eventually come back to get you too. It’s not a right/left issue, it’s a due process and inherent rights issue IMO.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Read it a few times and I think it's a massive mistake for both critics and supporters (mostly critics) to necessarily apply their reasoning to social media bullshit. Hell I'm not even sure if it's even related to social media "Cancel Culture" so much as it is actual mainstream individuals and institutions being completely unable to cope with the current political environment.

I'm guessing this paragraph and especially the bolded:

But it is now all too common to hear calls for swift and severe retribution in response to perceived transgressions of speech and thought. More troubling still, institutional leaders, in a spirit of panicked damage control, are delivering hasty and disproportionate punishments instead of considered reforms. Editors are fired for running controversial pieces; books are withdrawn for alleged inauthenticity; journalists are barred from writing on certain topics; professors are investigated for quoting works of literature in class; a researcher is fired for circulating a peer-reviewed academic study; and the heads of organizations are ousted for what are sometimes just clumsy mistakes. Whatever the arguments around each particular incident, the result has been to steadily narrow the boundaries of what can be said without the threat of reprisal. We are already paying the price in greater risk aversion among writers, artists, and journalists who fear for their livelihoods if they depart from the consensus, or even lack sufficient zeal in agreement.

Doesn't give a pass to people saying dumb shit on Twitter or wherever.

I think more reasonably they're arguing for the premise of allowing all intellectually honest discourse in journalism, the arts, and academia.

Personally I'm not a fan of disingenuously parsing Tweets in the most negative light or digging up ancient social media thoughts in an effort to incite outrage. I'm just not sure if this letter is really addressing that aspect.

Javthusiast

Banned
Cancel culture needs to end. Now I don't know what exactly they wrote in that open letter, cause I simply am too lazy to read it, just fuck cancel culture.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Today we saw Stefan Molyneux get unpersoned further on Twitter. My guess is that not a single one of these people will defend him publicly, which means that this is just a load of meaningless hot air. They’re just trying to get the mob to redirect itself back on the Emmanuel Goldsteins of the day instead of themselves.

Last edited:

Lol, so she is sorry she took a stance for free speech and against censorship?

Tesseract

Banned
enjoy the friendly fire

giphy.gif

I'm guessing this paragraph and especially the bolded:

Doesn't give a pass to people saying dumb shit on Twitter or wherever.

I think more reasonably they're arguing for the premise of allowing all intellectually honest discourse in journalism, the arts, and academia.

Personally I'm not a fan of disingenuously parsing Tweets in the most negative light or digging up ancient social media thoughts in an effort to incite outrage. I'm just not sure if this letter is really addressing that aspect.

Interesting point. They want a protected status by virtue of their professions which allows them free speech. Not for the peasants using social media though

Last edited:

thequestion

Cancel culture’s growth and power is now akin to Godzilla. Not even Mecha-godzilla, piloted by weak wristed, “intellectuals”, like Chomsky, Atwood, and Steinem, can stop this beast!

nikolino840

Some example to this?
__
Editors are fired for running controversial pieces; books are withdrawn for alleged inauthenticity; journalists are barred from writing on certain topics; professors are investigated for quoting works of literature in class; a researcher is fired for circulating a peer-reviewed academic study; and the heads of organizations are ousted for what are sometimes just clumsy mistakes. Whatever the arguments around each particular incident, the result has been to steadily narrow the boundaries of what can be said without the threat of reprisal. We are already paying the price in greater risk aversion among writers, artists, and journalists who fear for their livelihoods if they depart from the consensus, or even lack sufficient zeal in agreement.
___
In America there's the nambla that are pedophiles so what restrictions to the liberty?
You can buy the main kampf on amazon...
Find an argument on Google and you find everything

Birdo

Banned
Cancel culture doesn't exist outside of the internet. It has no real world power.

If you don't have a social media account, you're pretty much immune.

Top Bottom