• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII |OT| Toriyama's Bizarre Adventure

So how connected is the 13 series to 15?

Is the new world Lightning is bringing people to the world of 15
?

It's not. It's connected to Fabula Nova Crystallis but not to Final Fantasy XIII. Even Etro in XV is a different interpretation than the Etro in XIII and even in Type-0.

And no to the spoiler tagged section.

There is literally nothing connecting XIII's story to XV's story. Much like how X doesn't connect to XII in any meaningful way.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
This is one time I'm going to ignore the negative reviews and going for broke and saying almost for sure I'm going to love LR. I'm currently at a certain point in XIII-2
where you are saying your good-byes to Hope and Alyssa in Academia 4XX and I don't want it to end!
I'm starting to feel much more of an attachment to everything than I did when I started XIII-2. I don't want it to end!

Shinta

Banned
Do we know if Piggyback is making the guide, and if it'll be available at launch like with FFXIII-2?

Mine just shipped today. I loved both of the other guides, but this game seems like it will really benefit from having a guide more than the other two, so I'm looking forward to getting it.

Gaz_RB

Zero (they will probably share gods and other non-tangible elements).

No.

It's not. It's connected to Fabula Nova Crystallis but not to Final Fantasy XIII. Even Etro in XV is a different interpretation than the Etro in XIII and even in Type-0.

And no to the spoiler tagged section.

There is literally nothing connecting XIII's story to XV's story. Much like how X doesn't connect to XII in any meaningful way.

I guess I just think it's weird that otherwise unrelated mainline FF games are following the same myth. Interesting though, I like the mythology.

I mean I guess if you haven't read anything about the game or watched a trailer that would be a spoiler...

Sorry if I offended anyone

The game also has costumes

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I guess I just think it's weird that otherwise unrelated mainline FF games are following the same myth. Interesting though, I like the mythology.
Well it's a bit like the old FFs. They're all in different worlds but they all have the same summons, character classes, Chocobos, etc. So why not the same gods?

I would like all of the DLC costumes but they seem to be all over the place. Oh well, will just have to settle for the Cloud one I guess. Then again it's possible they'll put the retailer exclusive DLC up for download later on anyway.

TheTux

I would like all of the DLC costumes but they seem to be all over the place. Oh well, will just have to settle for the Cloud one I guess. Then again it's possible they'll put the retailer exclusive DLC up for download later on anyway.

They'll very likely sell them later on PSN, yes.

And yes, Piggyback made a strategy guide.

Zoe

Surely it's not necessary to spoiler the events of XIII and XIII-2? What's gonna be the policy?

Reveirg

So for those who've played the japanese versions, any tips on how to maximize your limited time each day?

I assume there are plenty of missables considering the nature of the game, but I'd like to go through as much content as possible on my first playthrough!

Sioen

So for those who've played the japanese versions, any tips on how to maximize your limited time each day?

I assume there are plenty of missables considering the nature of the game, but I'd like to go through as much content as possible on my first playthrough!
There's a trophy guide on PlayStationtrophies which is relevant to your question.

Falk

that puzzling face
Trophy list has major spoilers.

You're seriously overthinking things - if you play on easy and actually set out to get as many quests as possible you'll run out of quests (edit: or patience) long before you run out of time.

There are 3, maybe 4 quests out of 60+ which are hard-missable, mostly by doing something stupid like starting a quest where you agree to meet someone at ____ time then not showing up.

Reveirg

You're seriously overthinking things - if you play on easy and actually set out to get as many quests as possible you'll run out of quests (edit: or patience) long before you run out of time.

Alright, thanks! I'm kinda hesitant on choosing Easy though.

I don't necessarily want to get the most trophies in a single playthrough, I just want to have the most fun and get the most out of the game. Is easy still recommended for that?

Zafir

Doesn't easy change the battle difficulty as well though?

RPGCrazied

Delay in my order, won't get it until Thursday now.

I was going to get it release day, but had a problem with my payment, I correct it within 10 minutes, only for me not to get it release day. Wtf Amazon? I have Prime too.

So really, for a person who only ever really cares about customization, upgrading, becoming more powerful, and an overally enjoyable battle system, will this game be good for me? All of the complaints and hatred coming this game's way seem to be directed at a general loathing of FFXIII (which I found really fun due to the battle system), hating that Lightning is being shoved down peoples throats, and the storyline.

Is it safe to say that my interests avoid what is making people dislike/be disinterested in this game?

Really I just want to customize cool outfit/battle set ups and tear into enemies while getting better costumes/weapons and such

anyone?

But despite great battles, they're arguably less important than they've ever been in the series. You don't earn XP and level up through combat, only by completing quests. These range from story-based encounters with classic characters, to countless boring fetch-quests that make me feel like I was stuck in the opening hours of an MMO. If a quest's goal wasn’t combat-related, I found myself avoiding combat, the thing I enjoyed most about Lightning Returns, in favor of making a beeline for the goal that would level me up faster.

Oh no. This is bad. Very very bad. If the game pushes me towards avoiding battles because they offer no reward, this will make for a very frustrating experience. Man. Why would they do that ? This is some Paper Mario 3DS bullshit.

But despite great battles, they're arguably less important than they've ever been in the series. You don't earn XP and level up through combat, only by completing quests. These range from story-based encounters with classic characters, to countless boring fetch-quests that make me feel like I was stuck in the opening hours of an MMO. If a quest's goal wasn’t combat-related, I found myself avoiding combat, the thing I enjoyed most about Lightning Returns, in favor of making a beeline for the goal that would level me up faster.

Oh no. This is bad. Very very bad. If the game pushes me towards avoiding battles because they offer no reward, this will make for a very frustrating experience. Man. Why would they do that ? This is some Paper Mario 3DS bullshit.

You still need to fight battles to get new abilities, gil, and the ever valuable EP/GP.

HTupolev

Lol, it looks like I might have mistakenly set up the long free shipping option on Amazon, though it might be an administrative quirk. That would ironically probably be more trouble for them than day-1.

Whatever. Maybe I'll use the time to bang out what's left of XIII-2. Or try to stop sucking so badly at Resogun.

dramatis

And? Isn't its purpose more about providing character progression? If you don't have it then there won't be any character progression at all (and the haters will still hate it and claim that it has no character progression, but at least the fans get something to follow on to as far as the protagonists are concerned)
Sure you can have character development in individual stories. However, the question here is that Shinta asserts the stories in the 13 saga are the exact opposite of padding, but that's incorrect.

It's entirely possible to have the character stories linked to the main plot and have good development, and this is actually better because the characters are more connected to actual events and narrative. What did Lightning having conflicted feelings about her purpose really contribute to Vanille finally getting enough guts to become Ragnarok and change Ragnarok's purpose to saving Cocoon? Nothing. We also never once saw any reason for why Cocoon should be saved; no strong feelings for Cocoon from the characters, no character stories that connected to the world.

What we saw instead is Lightning having tantrums over her sister's choice in husbands (not relevant to Bart trying to drop Cocoon), Hope irrationally pinning blame on Snow and trying to kill him (hardly a depiction that indicates strong motivation for wanting to save humanity), Vanille providing lots of annoying fanservice, and so on. Compare: at Mushroom Rock in FF10 we learn Wakka's brother joined the Crusaders and died fighting Sin, giving Wakka and Lulu (the girl left behind) the motivation to fight against Sin. The big event at Mushroom Rock shows the futility of fighting Sin in an alternative way (to the Final Summon), and Tidus also confirms the 'feeling' of his father in Sin. Character plots and events that bind to the main plot of completing the pilgrimage and defeating Sin. The first half of 13 is certainly flimsy padding in comparison. 10 reveals the backstories of its characters along with the world; 13 clumsily cuts around and shoves in flashbacks to flesh out character backstories...that reveal nothing about motivations tied to the main plot. It's hardly a wonder that Lightning, Snow, Hope, and Sazh readily abandon Cocoon and then fade to the background when they hit Pulse.

You can have character stories that develop the characters. But they're padding if they are hardly relevant to the main plot.

What we saw instead is Lightning having tantrums over her sister's choice in husbands (not relevant to Bart trying to drop Cocoon), Hope irrationally pinning blame on Snow and trying to kill him (hardly a depiction that indicates strong motivation for wanting to save humanity), Vanille providing lots of annoying fanservice, and so on. Compare: at Mushroom Rock in FF10 we learn Wakka's brother joined the Crusaders and died fighting Sin, giving Wakka and Lulu (the girl left behind) the motivation to fight against Sin. The big event at Mushroom Rock shows the futility of fighting Sin in an alternative way (to the Final Summon), and Tidus also confirms the 'feeling' of his father in Sin. Character plots and events that bind to the main plot of completing the pilgrimage and defeating Sin. The first half of 13 is certainly flimsy padding in comparison. 10 reveals the backstories of its characters along with the world; 13 clumsily cuts around and shoves in flashbacks to flesh out character backstories...that reveal nothing about motivations tied to the main plot. It's hardly a wonder that Lightning, Snow, Hope, and Sazh readily abandon Cocoon and then fade to the background when they hit Pulse.

You nailed it brother. You nailed the main reason why I felt such a connection with the motivations of the characters in FFX. The plot also had a logical progression throughout the entire game. Whoever who was directing that game (was it Nojima?) deserves a friggin' medal for the excellent way it all unfolded.

In comparison, by the time I was done with FF XIII, I felt absolutely nothing for the characters and their plight/struggles. It all seemed so petty in retrospect. The villains (especially that lady villainess, Nabat was it?) were also handled really, really poorly too.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I've managed to avoid all of the streams online... It's been hard but hey, only three days left!

How are my other EU fellows handling the hype and spoilers?!

Loakum

Banned
According to Fed Ex tracking, I'm scheduled to have my copy of Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII tomorrow. I got the collector's edition from Square Enix's website.

MarkusRJR

Got my CE today from FedEx (in Canada). Got charged $25 in import fees, but whatever. Opened it up and it looks really nice. Probably not worth the extra money, but I'm happy to have my FFXIII collection completed, apart from the LR hardcover guide and steelbook case which I'll be getting later.

Nohar

*blink* OK, that's a surprise. Gamekult (French) gave it a 7/10. I was expecting a 6 at best, and easily a 4 at worst. The reviewer is Greg, who seems to give higher notes than his colleagues.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
*blink* OK, that's a surprise. Gamekult (French) gave it a 7/10. I was expecting a 6 at best, and easily a 4 at worst.
Let the high reviews roll in! I am personally considering playing the demo again...

Anyone else stoked as FUCK that you can play this game with a Dual Shock 4?

Adaren

Finished up playing the demo one final time. I've started to do the Just Attacks somewhat consistently, but I've still got a lot to learn. For the melee strikes, the right timing seems to be to push the next button immediately after your previous attack lands. The window is really tiny, or at least it requires a fair amount of prediction and feel for the animations speeds. Is everyone else having as much trouble as I am?

I can't wait until late tomorrow night when I'll get to play the full thing!

Also, I realize I've asked this about half a dozen times in different LR threads, but did anyone ever figure out if the circles left on the ground by Fira/Firaga/other elemental attacks have special effects?

Top Bottom