• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII |OT| Toriyama's Bizarre Adventure

RPGCrazied

Forgot to ask, but does the game have the dumb doom mechanic like XIII did? It was absent in XIII-2 thank god, but I hope its not in this one either.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
DLC pricing:

Additional downloadable content (DLC), including a Tomb Raider “Lara Croft” costume and Yuna’s “Sphere Hunter” costume from FFX-2 provide more ways for players to extend their experience. Both DLC packs will be available for $3.99. Additionally, original Japanese Voice-Overs are available from today until February 25th as a free download. Following this two-week period, the Japanese Voice-Over Pack will be available for $3.99.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Two weeks? I'll have 100%ed the game twice by that point. Fuck.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Got the game and an hour in.

It looks so janky.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I had the same impression about the demo but then again after getting a PS4 I'm finding a lot of last gen games to look kind of janky :p

I don't have a PS4 yet and this is coming from someone who played FFXIII and Silent Hill HD Collection recently. Heck even the Silent Hill HD Collection looks a bit better than this in some parts. ._.

I don't have a PS4 yet and this is coming from someone who played FFXIII and Silent Hill HD Collection recently. Heck even the Silent Hill HD Collection looks a bit better than this. ._.

FFXIII is definitely more visually polished than its sequels, though XIII-2 looked pretty good. This is definitely a step down but not too bad IMO.

The Silent Hill HD Collection didn't look bad, the flaws were in the performance mostly.

Falk

that puzzling face
I don't have a PS4 yet and this is coming from someone who played FFXIII and Silent Hill HD Collection recently. Heck even the Silent Hill HD Collection looks a bit better than this in some parts. ._.

Wait till you get to...

Ah heck just wait till you get to it.

Anyone who played the import, how do you get the
Sacred Knight
garb? I just saw an image of it, and I think it looks pretty great. Is it possible to get it fairly early in the game or is it one of those hard mode only grabs? D;

Wow, The Ark is beautiful. So far I'm finding the game to have great gameplay, an okay premise, wonderful music, and awesome art direction. It isn't falling apart for me yet but it's still early days.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I AM SO FUCKING JEALOUS

Went to NA store and cried my heart out :(

Ala Alba

Well, my CE is out for delivery right now. Which is surprising to me, because I did not expect to get it today (Digital River and all that).

DR2K

Banned
Saw it at Target for $60. I almost wanted to buy it, the price won't hold for long if 13-2 was any indication. Still need to finish Xilia.

RPGCrazied

I'm half tempted to get the CE guide just to complete the collection(have both for the first two games), but its $40. Decisions.

Holmes

My collector's edition arrived!!

... but I was in class and was not present to pick it up. I missed the postman by 30 minutes. So I need to wait until it comes tomorrow. But receiving it (kind of) on release day, not bad for my first experience with Digital River. So far.

Nohar

I have a confession GAF.

I am going to purchase the Sphere Hunter costume.

Am I a bad person? :(

You should be ashamed of yourself.

That being said, it's your choice, who am I to judge? I also love Yuna. However, I took the decision to never buy any DLC, no matter the game, because I don't support this new money-grabbing approach, and I want it to disappear entirely.

rataven

My CE just arrived! Boxed and packaged nicely, and thank god for that because I'm seeing horror stories on Twitter of Amazon's handling of Bravely Default. So sad. :(

Anyway, I'm legit looking forward to starting this up. The reviews may have tempered my expectations even more than they already were, but it's still a new FF. Can't help it.

Gaz_RB

Liking it so far. I just finished a marathon of the two previous games (first time through, and I liked them a lot), which may account for this, but I'm sort of confused by those who think the story is convoluted right from the start. It seems fine to me, even a bit too simple.

Just got to the Wildlands, gonna explore around for a while. Battle system is awesome, and I had my saves from the previous games, so having those two outfits again is kind of cool.

Music is great. I'll toss out some more impressions the farther in I get.

GAMERG0D

Digital River actually sent me the CE despite initial trouble with purchasing it. I had no other problems. The Japanese Voice Pack is 4.7 GB :eek:

Really enjoying this, but it's made me throw out every single preconceived notion of what to expect in a game with Final Fantasy in the title. That's fine I guess, it's a second sequel and never really touted itself as being a traditional installment. That being said, just surprised by some of the mechanics and mission structure. It's a lot to wrap your head around but the game is doing an alright job at it.

Hope sincerely needs to shut the fuck up though.

Aeana

Does anybody have any tips for these meonekton enemies? Silver things with blue wings. They seem really difficult, but I think it's just because I haven't figured out the trick. Other than perfect blocking force darts to keep it from doing over half of my HP, it seems like the only thing I can do is stagger it and then assault it, but it still takes quiiite a while to kill them.

EDIT: Whoa. Sparkstrike destroys them. Guess I found my answer.

Gaz_RB

Does anybody have any tips for these meonekton enemies? Silver things with blue wings. They seem really difficult, but I think it's just because I haven't figured out the trick. Other than perfect blocking force darts to keep it from doing over half of my HP, it seems like the only thing I can do is stagger it and then assault it, but it still takes quiiite a while to kill them.

EDIT: Whoa. Sparkstrike destroys them. Guess I found my answer.

I just had a close encounter with them. Apparently it's really easy to stagger them with magic while they are using "Eerie Soundwave". Just gotta hit him with a lot of magic.

Do you think they'll release a "definitive edition" in a year with every bit of DLC included on disc ? Didn't they do that with XIII-2 ? I forget.

Nohar

Replaying FFXIII-2, just to see if the game is still enjoyable or if nostalgia clouded my mind... And there is one thing that I forgot about that I find to be just unbearable: the cataclysmic framerate on Xbox 360.

Because of this, I'm very interested to hear from Xbox 360 players in which cases the framerate drop massively in LR. Kagari warned us that it was a problem present in the PS3 version and which seems to worsen in the 360 one.

On a side note: is japanese Lightning more... I don't know, emotive than her english counterpart? (Please note that I'm not blaming the voice actress for her performance, since I understand that they didn't give her much of a choice).

Do you think they'll release a "definitive edition" in a year with every bit of DLC included on disc ? Didn't they do that with XIII-2 ? I forget.

They added a "Complete DLC pack" for the PS3 version of FFXIII-2 in 2013, which contains all DLCs, expect for some weapons and costumes I believe. Not sure about 360, gotta check this one. But, no, no new release with a disc updated with all DLCs to my knowledge.

Falk

that puzzling face
I'm quite sure that the CGI actually has different lip sync for JP vs EN, so I'm not surprised the Japanese dub DLC is that big.

Nohar

I'm quite sure that the CGI actually has different lip sync for JP vs EN, so I'm not surprised the Japanese dub DLC is that big.

Aye. They indeed mention that this pack includes lip-synching. Not doubt it contributed heavily to the patch weight.

MarkusRJR

Lumina's voice actor is surprisingly good.

I miss Serah though :/
The anime trope where the characters make vocal noise while doing anything (making a face, posing, walking, surprised, etc) is annoying in this game. Lumina in particular is kind of annoying. She giggles and makes weird noises constantly. In terms of actually talking though, her voice is totally fine.

She reminds me a little of Vanille from the first game.

Zoe

On a side note: is japanese Lightning more... I don't know, emotive than her english counterpart? (Please note that I'm not blaming the voice actress for her performance, since I understand that they didn't give her much of a choice).

I personally had no issues with her.

Gaz_RB

The thing that was really annoying me was how zoomed in the camera was during battles, but all you have to do is click R3 to zoom out.
Holy fuck. This game is hard.

Yeah, one of the best parts of the game for me. I miss a good challenge that makes me reevaluate situations to exploit weaknesses and things like that. LR delivers there.

People weren't lying though, framerate and some of the texture work is no beuno.

The anime trope where the characters make vocal noise while doing anything (making a face, posing, walking, surprised, etc) is annoying in this game. Lumina in particular is kind of annoying. She giggles and makes weird noises constantly. In terms of actually talking though, her voice is totally fine.

She reminds me a little of Vanille from the first game.

I agree with that, but when she's actually talking, I find her really interesting to listen to. She has strange inflections.

rataven

The Collector's Edition is so nicely done. The art book is quite substantial and the packaging is all very sleek and solid. Pocketwatch is good quality too. And it all coordinates well with the CE of the strategy guide.

Really happy SE has put some effort into these for North America finally. We didn't get anything special for XIII's release.

Whoa, they reanimated the CGI? Really? That's a first for the series, I think.

The Collector's Edition is so nicely done. The art book is quite substantial and the packaging is all very sleek and solid. Pocketwatch is good quality too. And it all coordinates well with the CE of the strategy guide.

Really happy SE has put some effort into these for North America finally. We didn't get anything special for XIII's release.

Whoa, they reanimated the CGI? Really? That's a first for the series, I think.

They did it in FFXIII and XIII-2. I am not positive but I am pretty sure they did it for XII too.

Few questions:

1) the PS3 demo looked ugly. Is the 360 worse?

2) this is a new engine? Is that why it looks uglier than the first two!

3) this game encourages replay, right? How many times do you have to beat it to see the real ending? Does your progress and all the quests you completed carry over so only the quests you missed shows up?

4) is it worth playing multiple times?

BgOd8WRCIAEoRBf.jpg:large

Lightning Returns to me! Good-bye everyone.

rataven

They did it in FFXIII and XIII-2. I am not positive but I am pretty sure they did it for XII too.

The CGI? In-game cutscenes, yes, for sure. But I remember thinking how distracting it was switching from those cutscenes to CGI in XIII and XIII-2 and seeing the noticeable change in the lip-sync.

Haven't played in ages though so maybe I'm remembering wrong. Or they did a rushed job of it. Which is probably more likely.

Top Bottom