• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LIMBO |OT| What awaits at the edge of Hell?

Alucrid

Banned
Halp.
The first time you come to the water and crate. I tried pushing it out and riding across it, tried grabbing onto it and using it as a flotation device. What do I do?

Oh, other way. :|

Alucrid said:
Halp.
The first time you come to the water and crate. I tried pushing it out and riding across it, tried grabbing onto it and using it as a flotation device. What do I do?
Something else entirely...

Look around, carefully.

TripOpt55

I just finished it. It's very short, but still worth getting. Very cool game. Kind of meh ending. I was trying to get this one secret for a while and couldn't. And I think I only got 2 secrets by the end. I liked the game though. Pretty fun.

Shake Appeal said:
So I wrote a review of this today. I am not a professional games journalist, but I know some of you have liked what I have written about games before, so please read if you are interested.

(Contains some spoilers and ending speculation, so it's probably best saved until you've finished the game.)

http://gltypleasures.blogspot.com/2010/07/guilty-review-playdeads-limbo.html

No offense, but what's the point of writing a review for people that have finished the game? Isn't the purpose of a review to advise people on their decision to purchase the game?

DTLIONS1013 said:
No offense, but what's the point of writing a review for people that have finished the game? Isn't the purpose of a review to advise people on their decision to purchase the game?
I am of the opinion that reviews should not be purchasing recommendations. At least not first of all.

DTLIONS1013 said:
Critical discussion? A review does not solely have to be for pre-purchasers, you can find out what the person thought and see how their review contrasts with your own.

Up to the
water filling the area balloon puzzle
, need to call it a night.

Banned
soldat7 said:
I wonder if this will be a smeary mess on my LCD TV :lol. It really struggles with that blurring/ghosting effect with darker color tones.

It looks fantastic on my plasma.

Sanic

TripOpt55 said:
I just finished it. It's very short, but still worth getting. Very cool game. Kind of meh ending. I was trying to get this one secret for a while and couldn't. And I think I only got 2 secrets by the end. I liked the game though. Pretty fun.

How short? I really loved the trial, but I may hold off if it's only a couple of hours long.

S1kkZ

Pandoracell said:
How short? I really loved the trial, but I may hold off if it's only a couple of hours long.
took me about 4 hours. should take a lot more time to find all the hidden things.

goldenpp72

Im having trouble with the
Spider part before the body of water, I get the idea that i need to probably fight it, but I can't dodge it once, it has killed me like 50 times now..

Like the game, very artsy and I dunno if i'm alone but disturbs the fuck out of me.

eXistor

I got it a few hours ago and finished it already. I thought it was pretty great, but it's definitely too short for 1200 points. Still, it has great atmosphere and the difficulty-curve is perfect. I thought the ending was fine
The title of the game says is all: Limbo, that's the story right there. You play a random schmuck stuck in Limbo. How or why did he get there? Who cares, I don't need an explanation for everything. I thought the ending rounded everything off neatly and logically.

FHIZ

I'm getting the same feeling as Portal on this one. While I enjoy the game so far, its no where near as amazing as hyped. Its just pretty cool... that's about it.

I thought Portal was downright amazing... probably something like a 9.5 if I had to assign one of those despised numerical scores to it.

goldenpp72

goldenpp72 said:
Im having trouble with the
Spider part before the body of water, I get the idea that i need to probably fight it, but I can't dodge it once, it has killed me like 50 times now..

Like the game, very artsy and I dunno if i'm alone but disturbs the fuck out of me.

Anyone? I'm really at a loss here, lol.

JKTrix

goldenpp72 said:
Anyone? I'm really at a loss here, lol.
Very minor spoiler, as it took me a while to notice this too.
Just before the body of water--on the edge--is something you can push

Haunted

What a morbid game.

It's refreshing, actually! And yeah, the
spider chase
and other elements absolutely gave me a similar vibe to Another World as well. It's a very deliberate game.

edit: how are you guys checking your completion %?

Haunted

Tokubetsu said:
This game is fucking disgusting.
Tokubetsu said:
Some of the stuff they ask you to do is disturbing.
After playing for a bit more, I can not deny either of these statements.

I mean, it's not as bad as the things other games make you do, but what makes Limbo so special is that it's missing context. Or rather, it's denying you, the player, that context. It doesn't provide any of the usual justifications for your actions other games do (even simple stuff like "you're the hero out to save the world! they are the bad guys! they deserve it!" etc. which tend to enable the player to feel at [relative] ease while doing some pretty unspeakable things).

This game doesn't have any of that, it just throws you right in. Makes for some interesting psychological approaches, imo.
Not really, of course, since there's only one option available to you at any time, but still.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Haunted said:
What a morbid game.

It's refreshing, actually! And yeah, the
spider chase
and other elements absolutely gave me a similar vibe to Another World as well. It's a very deliberate game.

edit: how are you guys checking your completion %?

If you look at the leaderboard it shows completion.

Rat Salad

Banned
Haunted said:
After playing for a bit more, I can not deny either of these statements.

I mean, it's not as bad as the things other games make you do, but what makes Limbo so special is that it's missing context. Or rather, it's denying you, the player, that context. It doesn't provide any of the usual justifications for your actions other games do (even simple stuff like "you're the hero out to save the world! they are the bad guys! they deserve it!" etc. which tend to enable the player to feel at [relative] ease while doing some pretty unspeakable things).

This game doesn't have any of that, it just throws you right in. Makes for some interesting psychological approaches, imo.
Not really, of course, since there's only one option available to you at any time, but still.

:lol

I see it as a video game,you see it a novel that overwhelmed your senses.

Mdk7

claviertekky said:
I wonder what the style of the game would be like if the black and white colors were inverted.
Like this?

15yetye.jpg

2d82o2f.jpg

eexrm.jpg

2uqp1lg.jpg

Mdk7

Tokubetsu said:
Stuck

Minecart keeps activating an electrified floor that I need to walk on above it =/

light spoiler/indication

it's something YOU have to do, with the boy...don't look around, you are the key.

Spoiler
Get on the cart, and when the cart reaches the edge of the platform (the one you have to climb that becomes electrified) stay on it and don't jump. Instead run, and the boy's movement will make the cart go slowly back... at this time jump and run like crazy.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Mdk7 said:
it's something YOU have to do, with the boy...don't look around, you are the key.

Spoiler
Get on the cart, and when the cart reaches the edge of the platform (the one you have to climb that becomes electrified) stay on it and don't jump. Instead run, and the boy's movement will make the cart go slowly back... at this time jump and run like crazy.

That sounds 10x harder than what I did, haha.

You can just jump off the minecart at that section of floor, then pull it back from the switch and then hurry across the top before the cart hits.

Mdk7

Papercuts said:
That sounds 10x harder than what I did, haha.

You can just jump off the minecart at that section of floor, then pull it back from the switch and then hurry across the top before the cart hits.
It's not hard to do AT ALL, really.
But it's cool you can do it in different ways!

Hag

Just finished now. Great game, but I think it's worth a 800 MS. Now I need more Limbo. :)

So about the end:
Leave open to a sequel with the girl together? I was not expecting a ending like that...

clav

Hag said:
Just finished now. Great game, but I think it's worth a 800 MS. Now I need more Limbo. :)

So about the end:
Leave open to a sequel with the girl together? I was not expecting a ending like that...
Speculation has it:

POSSIBLY MAJOR SPOILERS

Boy + girl were dead in the beginning as noted in the title screen. The dilapidated tree, two distinct piles of flies signifying two corpses, and the half-stuck car in the corner of the screen suggest that as this title screen is also the same scenery in the ending of the game.

As for the main game, some say it's how his life flashes before his eyes. In the beginning, he was teased, tortured, and bullied metaphorically as spiders, strangers, and traps haunted him his life style. Finally he was able to make his way and overcome his fears/troubles. The hotel and industrialized areas resemble places where he worked, and when shit hit the fan, things became spiraling out of control and may have been a turning point in his life. He saw what could have been the love of his life, but then she was manipulative and sent him back to his stale working life. Finally, crashing through the windshield of the car, the boy plunges into the woods to his death along with his sister next to him dead, too, and they peacefully die together. Spiritually they are reunited.

J-Roderton

claviertekky said:
Speculation has it:

POSSIBLY MAJOR SPOILERS

Boy + girl were dead in the beginning as noted in the title screen. The dilapidated tree, two distinct piles of flies signifying two corpses, and the half-stuck car in the corner of the screen suggest that as this title screen is also the same scenery of ending in the game.

As for the main game, some say it's how his life flashes before his eyes. In the beginning, he was teased, tortured, and bullied metaphorically as spiders and traps haunted him his life style. Finally he was able to make his way and overcome his fears/troubles. The hotel and industrialized areas resemble places where he worked, and when shit hit the fan, things became spiraling out of control and may have been a turning point in his life. He saw what could have been the love of his life, but then she was manipulative and sent him back to his stale working life. Finally, crashing through the windshield of the car, the boy plunges into the woods to his death along with his sister next to him dead, too, and they peacefully die together. Spiritually they are reunited.

Oh...wow. Never thought of that yet. Would make a cool movie though.

Hag

claviertekky said:
Speculation has it:

POSSIBLY MAJOR SPOILERS

Boy + girl were dead in the beginning as noted in the title screen. The dilapidated tree, two distinct piles of flies signifying two corpses, and the half-stuck car in the corner of the screen suggest that as this title screen is also the same scenery in the ending of the game.

As for the main game, some say it's how his life flashes before his eyes. In the beginning, he was teased, tortured, and bullied metaphorically as spiders, strangers, and traps haunted him his life style. Finally he was able to make his way and overcome his fears/troubles. The hotel and industrialized areas resemble places where he worked, and when shit hit the fan, things became spiraling out of control and may have been a turning point in his life. He saw what could have been the love of his life, but then she was manipulative and sent him back to his stale working life. Finally, crashing through the windshield of the car, the boy plunges into the woods to his death along with his sister next to him dead, too, and they peacefully die together. Spiritually they are reunited.

Holy shit, never thought about in that way. Yeah, it's makes sense now. Thanks for the info.

clav

Also, if you noticed:

The second time that you pass by the HOTEL sign, you notice each letter is significantly bigger compared to the first time you saw the sign.

Everything was too large for him to handle it seems that life just fell apart.

Amir0x

Banned
25% complete spoilers: Did I have to
kill the goddamn Spider
like that? Fuck this dude is cruel. Go to hell, white eyed ghost boy.

MrDaravon

Amir0x said:
25% complete spoilers: Did I have to
kill the goddamn Spider
like that? Fuck this dude is cruel. Go to hell, white eyed ghost boy.

Is that really more cruel than
the spider vertically impaling you, or wrapping you in a cocoon to die?

Amir0x

Banned
SailorDaravon said:
Is that really more cruel than
the spider vertically impaling you, or wrapping you in a cocoon to die?

A
spider is going to do what a spider is going to fucking do when you enter its lair
. You may choose to stop it, that's fine,
or even kill it... that's also fine.
But to
methodically tear the poor beast limb from limb
?

Dude is a psychopath. That's the type of shit 10 year old future serial killers do to their prey.

goldenpp72

Amir0x said:
A
spider is going to do what a spider is going to fucking do when you enter its lair
. You may choose to stop it, that's fine,
or even kill it... that's also fine.
But to
methodically tear the poor beast limb from limb
?

Dude is a psychopath. That's the type of shit 10 year old future serial killers do to their prey.

if a giant spider chased me and I saw the shot to fuck its shit up, I would, and i'd piss on its dead body before leaving.

Amir0x

Banned
yes, i would probably
slam a trap on its foot too
. I probably would not mercilessly
remove its final remaining leg to use its body as a fucking stepping stone to a ledge (holy shit the dude really is a sociopath)

Top Bottom