• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LIMBO |OT| What awaits at the edge of Hell?

Stuck where
there're two gates that you can raise by pulling ropes, and there's a mine cart bellow
. Maybe I'm just too tired now, but wtf I need to do here?

goldenpp72

Black_Mamba said:
Stuck where
there're two gates that you can raise by pulling ropes, and there's a mine cart bellow

If it's where I think, you need to push the cart near where the rope would be and rush down and jump from it to repull the rope down.

Amir0x said:
yes, i would probably
slam a trap on its foot too
. I probably would not mercilessly
remove its final remaining leg to use its body as a fucking stepping stone to a ledge (holy shit the dude really is a sociopath)

If I had no other choice I would, I smash spiders all the time, fuck them.

Cheech

Black_Mamba said:
Stuck where

The mine cart must go as far right as it can possibly go. You have to pull the top rope twice.

Alucrid

Banned
Need some help. Late in the game.
I'm at the part where the mine cart goes and pushes the button that electrifies the floor up top that you have to jump to. I tried making the cart as still as possible, jumping onto the platform then sprinting to the edge but die every time.

sonicmj1

Alucrid said:
I'm at the part where the mine cart goes and pushes the button that electrifies the floor up top that you have to jump to. I tried making the cart as still as possible, jumping onto the platform then sprinting to the edge but die every time.

If you try to do that, or try moving it as far away as possible, you'll almost certainly fail. I died a lot trying that.

Instead, listen to this post.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Is there no way past the
Spider
in the demo? I see the method, but I don't see anything that'll help me clear that path. :/

TheSeks said:
Is there no way past the
Spider
in the demo? I see the method, but I don't see anything that'll help me clear that path. :/

The spider will go away when you catch its legs three time in the trap
. I have no idea if the demo locks it so it does not run away or something as I never touched it, bought the game outright instead.

sgnhh

Neo Member
Alucrid said:

I eventually got it using this method, but it took a few tries. If you want to do it like this, make sure
you're on the right side of the cart just under the ledge. Push the cart to the left a couple of clicks and use your character to keep it steady. Then you hop from the cart to the ledge and do your best to run. I think jumping may be faster.

However, the other method mentioned might be better.

TheSeks

Keyser Soze said:
The spider will go away when you catch its legs three time in the trap
. I have no idea if the demo locks it so it does not run away or something as I never touched it, bought the game outright instead.

Yeah, I see the trap. So I assumed you have to cut it's legs with it or something
, but I don't see any method to acquire that method of going about it in the demo. Shame. As it seems like it ends there.

Pretty neat game, but not worth $15, IMO.

Just finished it and loved every minute of it, as brilliant any maybe more than Braid. I find it sad that people are complaining about the price and length, as I've played most of all the major new retail and arcade releases for 360 and PS3 the past couple years and this is one of the few games that has really been engaging. Def an experience well worth the 1200 Allards.

sgnhh said:
I eventually got it using this method, but it took a few tries. If you want to do it like this, make sure
you're on the right side of the cart just under the ledge. Push the cart to the left a couple of clicks and use your character to keep it steady. Then you hop from the cart to the ledge and do your best to run. I think jumping may be faster.

However, the other method mentioned might be better.

I passed this a different way.
I jumped off, let the cart hit the button once, then pulled it back out holding the left side. Once it was out enough I jumped over and grabbed right side. I then pulled the cart back in as far as it could go towards the button (with the boy between the button and the cart).

Then I stared pushing out quick as I could. I noticed that even when you let go the cart it keeps moving forward a tiny bit, so you can use this momentum to jump onto the cart and onto the ledge above. If timed right most people should reach the safe part of the ledge well ahead of time.

DuckRacer

TheSeks said:
Yeah, I see the trap. So I assumed you have to cut it's legs with it or something
, but I don't see any method to acquire that method of going about it in the demo. Shame. As it seems like it ends there.

Once the spider pops out, the trap should be knocked down to the ground and you'll be able to cut its legs. Then you travel down a path and get caught in spiderweb and... yeah. :x Then the trial ends, you see a developer splash screen and a trailer for the game.

xbhaskarx

claviertekky said:
Speculation has it:

POSSIBLY MAJOR SPOILERS

Boy + girl were dead in the beginning as noted in the title screen. The dilapidated tree, two distinct piles of flies signifying two corpses, and the half-stuck car in the corner of the screen suggest that as this title screen is also the same scenery in the ending of the game.

As for the main game, some say it's how his life flashes before his eyes.

It's definitely not the first story to borrow heavily from Ambrose Bierce's short story "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge"...

TheSeks said:

Translation: "I don't have the patience to figure out how to get the bear trap out of the tree so fuck this game."

Hige

Way too short. :( Not even a satisfying short like Portal, the game went downhill after the
forest
. The game does so many things right though, the art style is superb and the use of sound/controller vibration is subtle but can be jarring (in a good way). Still, not sure about the 1200 point price.

For some reason I don't find having to interpret the story very appealing. Maybe I'm just not focused enough on the themes and symbolism, but I feel like the game is sort of incomplete if I have to read interpretations online to understand the whole story. Even then, the explanations of the "real" story can be a letdown at times, like with Braid.

About The Ending

I have seen others complain, but I have to say I really liked it. The smash-cut to the credits was abrupt, but it was fitting with the game. We never know why the boy is even at the location. We have no idea why there is a big spider chasing him, and we have no idea why any of the things him came up against are even there. He seemed to get what he wanted at the end, and even though we dont know what that is I can still live with not knowing.

The very last gameplay scene with him crashing through the glass in slow-mo was amazing

TheSeks

a Master Ninja said:
Translation: "I don't have the patience to figure out how to get the bear trap out of the tree so fuck this game."

Translation: I don't have the cash right now and don't feel it's worth the $15 asking price.

Jesus, some of you are touchy.

hampig

Am I the only one who thought the game was too easy? I was hoping for a Braid challenge here. Still greatly enjoyable the entire way through, and I'm glad I gave my support to such an amazing experience, but it was too short and too easy.

unomas

Banned
Downloaded and played the limbo demo, very fun. I also decided to buy the game as I had 1800 MS points sitting in my account for the last year. I'm looking forward to playing the whole game quite a bit, and can't wait to see what the achievements are.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Just finished it, and it was a fantastic experience. Some puzzles took me a while but when I figured it out it was a head smacking moment.

Well worth the MS points I spent. Around here I can go to a movie for the same price and will have a lesser (and shorter) experience. I only got 4 achievements the first time through; will play again.

Edit: Warning! Real spoiler below!
I wonder if there's a different ending other than just running up to a girl? Supposedly sister?

Tokubetsu

Amir0x said:
yes, i would probably
slam a trap on its foot too
. I probably would not mercilessly
remove its final remaining leg to use its body as a fucking stepping stone to a ledge (holy shit the dude really is a sociopath)

Glad I wasn't the only one who felt this was fucked.

Fucking stuck again
First gravity area. 2 boxes. I get one box up, go up the ladder and the other ladder drops me back down and it's obvious I have to somehow get the other box up there. Which is impossible without the box to to hit the switch a couple seconds after I climb up the ladder.

Nvm got it :D

Enk

makes good threads.
Made it about 50% throught before I put it down. Very atmospheric and quite a fun experience. Though I'm slightly saddened:

The game opens exactly as the game I'm working on opens. Character sleeping on the ground, no story prelude, button press to wake him up, and the first area is even B&W. There's even a chase scene of sorts. :-/

Jasoco

Banned
jambo said:
I got a Chrome Malware warning when entering this thread o_O
It's unomas' avatar. It's hosted on a site that Google says is evil. Why? I don't know when there are tons of better sites out there.

beat it, got about 90% done. It's good enough that I'll keep playing and see if I can get to 100 (or whatever) but I certainly wasn't that impressed by the game. It's all style, no substance, mechanically it's not very fun at all.

Turnstyle

Finished this last night. Got 82% on the first playthrough, then went back
and picked up a couple of the achievements to take me to 88%. I really like the fact you can go back and play chapters.

Really enjoyed the game, and it's a great one to play with someone else in the room. There were some instances where I was totally stuck, and my gf was able to help out.

I wasn't prepared for the game to end when it did. When I hit that last puzzle I wanted it to carry on, especially as the last puzzle
didn't feel like too much of a challenge to end the game on?

I love the explanation of the story posted above though, makes perfect sense.

I really can't see myself getting the last acheivement for this.
Although I know the solutions to all the puzzles now, I'd be amazed if I could make it through with just 5 deaths.

I noticed on the leaderboards a couple of people had 102% completion!??

seat

So I played the heck out of Limbo today leaving only the last achievement for me to obtain, and overall I think the game is very good. It could have withstood to bake a bit longer though, because it's simply not nearly the fleshed-out gaming experience of Braid or Shadow Complex, two XBLA games in the same price range as Limbo. I don't mind a short game if the quality is good enough, and what's there is very good, but there just isn't nearly enough of it.

Limbo is close to being one of the must-have XBLA games, but it's just not quite there.

Ledsen

TheSeks said:
Translation: I don't have the cash right now and don't feel it's worth the $15 asking price.

Jesus, some of you are touchy.

You simply have to
make the spider pound the ground until the trap drops.

Gowans

Gowans007 said:
Grar finally got stuck round 69%

go up done ladders and there are two up n down gravity arrows. Then two platforms pushing out of the right to high to jump on.

I can get a create up to jump up one but not the second, Rar!!.. ?!?!? :(
Tried again before work this morning and still stuck :(

even found the second create just have no idea how the hell I am suppose to get it?!?!

?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Gowans007 said:

even found the second create just have no idea how the hell I am suppose to get it?!?!

?

Is this the area with
the elevator and two guns (one further up, another to the right guarding a ladder)
?

Edit: \/ Never mind, Turnstyle explained the solution well enough!

Turnstyle

Gowans007 said:

?

You have to
wiggle the gravity switch to make the box 'float' down the passage and out towards you. Then you can get back to the other side, flip the gravity switch, run back across the ceiling and the crate should be there.

Sorry, I think that might be the worst solution explanation ever.

Gowans

Turnstyle said:
You have to
wiggle the gravity switch to make the box 'float' down the passage and out towards you. Then you can get back to the other side, flip the gravity switch, run back across the ceiling and the crate should be there.

Sorry, I think that might be the worst solution explanation ever.
I didn't see another gravity switch near the second box, just a control that drops a box that would do it then, I'll open my eyes this time, TA!

EDIT: ahh unless thats a gravity switch and the box drops ahhh!

JRW

Awesome game! I love the atmosphere and sound .

I played up to the "Hotel" section tonight this game is hard to put down, I planned on going to bed a lot earlier and here i am typing this at 2:18am :D

claviertekky said:
Speculation has it:

POSSIBLY MAJOR SPOILERS

Boy + girl were dead in the beginning as noted in the title screen. The dilapidated tree, two distinct piles of flies signifying two corpses, and the half-stuck car in the corner of the screen suggest that as this title screen is also the same scenery in the ending of the game.

As for the main game, some say it's how his life flashes before his eyes. In the beginning, he was teased, tortured, and bullied metaphorically as spiders, strangers, and traps haunted him his life style. Finally he was able to make his way and overcome his fears/troubles. The hotel and industrialized areas resemble places where he worked, and when shit hit the fan, things became spiraling out of control and may have been a turning point in his life. He saw what could have been the love of his life, but then she was manipulative and sent him back to his stale working life. Finally, crashing through the windshield of the car, the boy plunges into the woods to his death along with his sister next to him dead, too, and they peacefully die together. Spiritually they are reunited.
Ending discussion/spoilers:

Note: most of this implied in my review.

What seems clear: I agree that the boy and girl are both dead at the game's beginning. We are in Limbo, along the fringes of hell. We 'wake up' in the land of the dead estranged from our sister, and try and find our way back to her, crossing the Acheron as we do so. We suffer trials and punishments in Hell, and are eventually reunited with our sister. The main menu screen shows the scene of our death in the 'real' world, where the two children are replaced by the swarms of flies buzzing around their corpses.

What I would speculate: the trials and punishments we suffer are related to the moments, hours, perhaps even the day before death. Some people think that in the upper right of the menu screen you can see a car, and that the children must have died in a car crash. I disagree; I think it's a school bus (when the light moves, you can see it peeping through a row of windows). The siblings were on a school trip. They may have been staying at a hotel in a town or city, and they may have been visiting a factory. Their school bus crashed in the woods. The 'tribe' you meet in the later stages of the woods are the other children who died, and all of the events of the game are warped versions of the last day or so before death. Remember when they roll a flaming tire at you? Yeah.

And when you smash through the glass at the end of the last puzzle, you are reliving the moment just before death, when you smashed through the windshield.

Ledsen

Holy crap this game is short, I finished in about ~3 hours with 76% completion. I like the graphics and mood, but the gameplay simply isn't interesting enough to warrant the price. The length is fine, but a game this short better have oustanding gameplay (see Portal). Sadly, the best part of the game was the first 30 minutes. Wish I'd waited for a sale, but I got caught by the hyperbole :/

Rad-

Ledsen said:
Holy crap this game is short, I finished in about ~3 hours with 76% completion. I like the graphics and mood, but the gameplay simply isn't interesting enough to warrant the price. The length is fine, but a game this short better have oustanding gameplay (see Portal). Sadly, the best part of the game was the first 30 minutes. Wish I'd waited for a sale, but I got caught by the hyperbole :/

Huh? You get 80% just by doing the main run.

The price bother me, because it's one more game to add to the 1200 points crowd, and the more common that price poitn is the worst it is, because it may seem that Limbo deserves that price (I don't think so...), but this will add to the reasons more and more publishers put badly fleshed out games at that price point.

How many of the Summer Arcade games is 800 points?

Top Bottom