• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LIMBO |OT| What awaits at the edge of Hell?

Rad-

xbhaskarx said:
Maybe you are further along? You couldn't
move your character
because
the worm gets in your head (that's what happens at the part I was at)
or for other reasons?

Yeah it's probably later then. But in that case, I missed the first girl. The only one I remember seeing was the one in the ending.

Just completed it.

But because I wasn't connected to Xbox Live I wasn't able to see my percentage completed.

I really loved it.

It felt a lot to me like Portal did when I first played that.

Ending spoilers and thoughts about it:

I didn't have the same feeling of satisfaction as Portal did when that ended.

I honestly didn't enjoy the end of Limbo because I don't think it was concluded at all. It didn't feel as if it has finished.

If after that slow-mo scene you were left there with your eyes closed and you had to interpret if the boy was dead or not--I would have thought that would be a better ending.

The girl just seemed pointless but I suppose it is the only way to make it seem as if there would be a sequel with possible co-op gameplay.

Also I didn't really get stuck apart from in one part which I asked for help on on page 8.

I thought the game was too short just like I though Portal was too short but I was pleasantly pleased with the whole game.

kaskade

I'm bummed I had to work today. I would've been playing this all day probably. Well at least I can read gaf's impressions. :lol

REV 09

played some of the trial before heading to work. the game instantly pulls you into it's atmosphere. the slight rumble when you jump is very effective. i'll most likely purchase it when i get home later this afternoon. I loved Braid, but a few of its puzzles were more annoying than fun. I'm somewhat glad that Limbo didn't rely on the recent trend of time mechanics for the puzzle elements.

Help:
I'm at a part with some elevators, gravity thingy that affects me as well, and some blocks thats coming out of the wall. I can't seem to see any logic in where to go. Can anyone help?

Wikzo

Vinterbird said:
Help:
I'm at a part with some elevators, gravity thingy that affects me as well, and some blocks thats coming out of the wall. I can't seem to see any logic in where to go. Can anyone help?
I just got past that place. You need to move to boxes up to the "unfolding stairs at the wall". One of the boxes is near the elevator, the other is to the right, just after the first of the machine guns.

I am stuck in the next part, 75%,
where I have to giant platforms, a machine to control gravity, and a magnetic switch. I think I need to make one of the boxes go up (via the gravity) and the other to stay down. Have no idea how ...

Jeg i øvrigt også dansker :)

xbhaskarx said:
I got it!
You have to edge forward as far as you can in the water, and then jump for the mosquito and press B.
This is why you can only use analogue controls and not the D-pad. I spoke with the developers who said that there are some places where you can't use digital input (run OR stop), but also have to move slowly.

Wikzo said:
I just got past that place. You need to move to boxes up to the "unfolding stairs at the wall". One of the boxes is near the elevator, the other is to the right, just after the first of the machine guns.

I am stuck in the next part, 75%, where I have to giant platforms, a machine to control gravity, and a magnetic switch. I think I need to make one of the boxes go up (via the gravity) and the other to stay down. Have no idea how ...

I don't see the second box you're talking about. The first box is hanging in the air near the elevator, that one is easy to get down. But I can't see the second one you're describing, could you be a bit more specific as to were it is?

Wikzo

Vinterbird said:
I don't see the second box you're talking about. The first box is hanging in the air near the elevator, that one is easy to get down. But I can't see the second one you're describing, could you be a bit more specific as to were it is?
Oh, I thought of another part of the game.

You have to push one of the crates far up of the hill to the right. Then it will slowly move down to the button. Before the gravity starts, you have to jump on the other box at left to get up and be ready to catch the box when it goes down again.

Wikzo said:
Oh, I thought of another part of the game.

You have to push one of the crates far up of the hill to the right. Then it will slowly move down to the button. Before the gravity starts, you have to jump on the other box at left to get up and be ready to catch the box when it goes down again.

I think you are thinking of the right puzzle. It has two elevators, two machine guns (one near the top of the second elevator, the other in a pit below a ladder) and some blocks coming out of the wall at the top of the ladder. At the top there's also a thing that will shift the gravity, and I can't seem any way to solve that puzzle without a second crate - which I can't seem to find

Wikzo

Ok, my bad. I was thinking of the right puzzle :p

The second box should be behind the machine gun to the left of the elevator. You have to use the first box to get cover + jump on top of it and jump over the machine gun to the left. There is another gravity field (that only affects the box, not you.

xbhaskarx

Vinterbird said:
At the top there's also a thing that will shift the gravity, and I can't seem any way to solve that puzzle without a second crate - which I can't seem to find

I'm currently having trouble here as well...

Captain N

xbhaskarx said:
I'm currently having trouble here as well...

you need to put the one crate you have on top of the elevator. Once there jump to the left over the turret. you'll need to keep hitting that gravity switch in the right spots to make the crate fall behind you.

Wizpig

Bought it and i'm at 34%, it's a fun game and i like the atmosphere.

I have a small problem with it, and it's the price.
Once again, it's Microsoft at work here; i don't think the developers pushed for a 1200 price.
And after games like After Burner Climax at 800 (!) points, well, i thought this €14 price was only a thing of the past.

But this is a minor gripe.
Game is awesome <3 !

Wizpig said:
Bought it and i'm at 34%, it's a fun game and i like the atmosphere.

I have a small problem with it, and it's the price.
Once again, it's Microsoft at work here; i don't think the developers pushed for a 1200 price.
And after games like After Burner Climax at 800 (!) points, well, i thought this €14 price was only a thing of the past.

But this is a minor gripe.
Game is awesome <3 !

If the game is awesome, then the price really shouldn't matter. It's not like they're charging an unseen amount for an XBLA game.

xbhaskarx

Captain N said:
you need to put the one crate you have on top of the elevator. Once there jump to the left over the turret. you'll need to keep hitting that gravity switch in the right spots to make the crate fall behind you.

That was so cool

atomsk

Party Pooper
xbhaskarx said:
That was so cool

i'm at the section right after this with
the 2 giant steel things, gravity switch, and magnet
and it's the first time i've been really stumped as to what i should be doing

edit: as soon as i posted this it just clicked :lol

Wikzo

Game beat.
I think it ended all of a sudden. The pacing in the end didn't feel right, (why slow-mo and then just see the girl and BAM, goes to the menu?) and I think it would be better if the girl did something instead of just sitting there. Of course they couldn't make a Braid twist, but they should at least try to do something. I suppose it's a "interpret it your own" kind of story, but besides the game's title there is really not much to build anyting on.

I experienced one glitch with the part
right before you tear the leg off the spider. It was with the tree "catapult" thing where the spider had to stand in the one end when you jumped at the other end. The spider didn't move like it should, and I was stuck at the part till I jumped in the water and drowned myself. Afterwards I spawned and immediately started to fell down below the level, where the boy just hang in the air. I had to exit the game and reload it.

atomsk said:
i'm at the section right after this with
the 2 giant steel things, gravity switch, and magnet
and it's the first time i've been really stumped as to what i should be doing

edit: as soon as i posted this it just clicked :lol

Please enlighten me, I've been starring at it for the last 30 minutes.

Peff

Vinterbird said:
Please enlighten me, I've been starring at it for the last 30 minutes.

If you have a shorter length to run at the same speed, you'll arrive earlier.
and then you can stop the race

Wizpig

Vinterbird said:
If the game is awesome, then the price really shouldn't matter. It's not like they're charging an unseen amount for an XBLA game.
Yeah well, luckily the 1600 price doesn't show up these days :lol 1200 is not much, and i never complained about the same price for Braid, Shadow Complex and other titles i loved.

But after some AAA titles for 800 points (these spoiled me) i expected more cheap titles, and for some reason i feel Limbo would be perfect at 800.
Instead, even the Plants vs. Zombies porting will be 1200. :\

/off topic

atomsk

Party Pooper
finished with 88% in about 4-5 hours.

will probably go try to find the other stuff this afternoon.

BUY THIS GAME

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
Love the atmosphere and premise and would probably buy this but I suck at puzzle solving and would probably end up using a walkthrough for every puzzle.

xbhaskarx

Just finished it, great game.

Four very minor complaints:
-The ending was a bit sudden
-The attempt to create some story at the end with the
sister/girlfriend?
just seemed unnecessary
-Some of the final puzzles were not very intuitive
-Falls from a certain height would kill you in certain parts of the game but not others

I'd have to rank it as my second favorite puzzle game on XBLA
1. Portal
2. Limbo
3. PB Winterbottom
4. Braid

However I think this was probably the easiest of the four...

Wizpig said:
Instead, even the Plants vs. Zombies porting will be 1200. :\

/off topic

Limbo is worth 1200 and so is Plants vs Zombies.

Peff said:
If you have a shorter length to run at the same speed, you'll arrive earlier.
and then you can stop the race

Any hints for the next one?
the one with the gravity, trolly and the rope

Peff

Vinterbird said:
Any hints for the next one?
the one with the gravity, trolly and the rope

That one seems tricky but it's actually very simple.
Just change the gravity from ceiling to floor when the contraption enters the screen. It's more about the timing than using the brain.
You're almost there :D

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Vinterbird said:
I can't remember the exact price I paid for the games in my collection but I can vividly remember which ones were entertaining and which ones were not. Feelings about being burned on price eventually go away but feelings about being burned on quality never do.

CiSTM

Banned
I tried the demo at my friends place today and it was sooooooo gooood. I'm actually going to buy new xbox for this :b

Wizpig

xbhaskarx said:
Limbo is worth 1200 and so is Plants vs Zombies.
Some people (and i say "some" without myself included) finished it in 3-4 hours, and felt that 1200 is too much even if the game is ingenious.

People have different opinions, but i just can't bring myself to say those people are wrong.
800 would be a better price, we would have less "too short!" criticism and more people would buy it right away instead of waiting for a deal of the week.

"Limbo is worth 1200" is a different argument than "800 would have been better".
I know it's worth it.
Braid was worth 1600, but it was 1200.

Enough with the pricing discussions, the next classic forum discussion should be: were the reviewers right? is it a "9 out of 10" game for you?
Not that i really follow reviews much D:
I'll need to finish the game first, anyways.

Noogy

MMmmm, just starting it up now, and it feels soooo good. I think I'm going to wait until tonight when I can shut off all the lights and use my headphones.

Wizpig said:
Some people (and i say "some" without myself included) finished it in 3-4 hours, and felt that 1200 is too much even if the game is ingenious.
I feel like £10 for a game which is 3 hours long is fine to me even if I'm always running out of money because I think of it as 4 times the price you get a "proper retail game" and you don't even get 4 times the amount of content in time spent playing. However you do get MP on those games so it's kind of equal value for the price to me.

xbhaskarx

FYI, "Destination Arcade" is now up in the Game Marketplace, right next to Limbo in the XBLA section.

ss_preview_4767812659_4596101d1f_o.jpg.jpg

ss_preview_4768057059_05ae302415_o.jpg.jpg

I'm checking it out right now, and yes you can use it to browse your own library and launch games.

Edit: Destination Arcade thread

soldat7

I wonder if this will be a smeary mess on my LCD TV :lol. It really struggles with that blurring/ghosting effect with darker color tones.

.nimrod

Peff said:
That one seems tricky but it's actually very simple.
Just change the gravity from ceiling to floor when the contraption enters the screen. It's more about the timing than using the brain.
You're almost there :D

I'm stuck right after that part.
You slide down a roof and have to jump somewhere but i can't figure out where i have to jump for the life of me.
It's not even a puzzle -.-

FrankT

Noogy said:
MMmmm, just starting it up now, and it feels soooo good. I think I'm going to wait until tonight when I can shut off all the lights and use my headphones.

You and me both. Still hard not to touch it right now. :lol

.nimrod said:
I'm stuck right after that part.
You slide down a roof and have to jump somewhere but i can't figure out where i have to jump for the life of me.
It's not even a puzzle -.-
Press "B" on the sign with the arrow as you jump of the roof. I died here too. It's a bit unclear.

Raxus

Some of the puzzles in this game make me question who could make it through in one sitting without dying 5 times.

screw you mine cart puzzle

Rad-

So did my second playthrough and
found all the achievement light thingies + 2 others that didn't give achievements. Still my completion rate is only 89%. Nooooo. What else is there?

Raxus said:
Some of the puzzles in this game make me question who could make it through in one sitting without dying 5 times.

I can do that without dying, easy. Died loads working it out, but it's easy now!

Rad- said:
So did my second playthrough and
found all the achievement light thingies + 2 others that didn't give achievements. Still my completion rate is only 89%. Nooooo. What else is there?
Go through and die less than five times?

atomsk

Party Pooper
Raxus said:

yeah even when you know what to do, you'll still die quite a bit getting the timing right

Rad-

toythatkills said:
Go through and die less than five times?

That affects completion rate as well? Ah dammit, I can't do that. Even in my second playthrough I died like 20 times still. :lol Well I did my best, great game.

Top Bottom