• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LIMBO |OT| What awaits at the edge of Hell?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Big B said:
Feist looks almost exactly like this game, except it has color.

indie devs copying each other? Feist has been in development for a while though.
Yeah, it does look similar. Definitely not as impressive as Limbo, but still nice looking.

Honestly, if the game turns out to be good, the similarities won't have any impact on my enjoyment.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
toythatkills said:
Got 200/200 now, which took me to 100% completion on the leaderboard.

Then I found another secret that had been bugging me for ages, must have spent two hours looking for a way to get to it and it came to me this morning as I was waking up! I think solving puzzles away from games is one of my favourite things ever. Anyway, there was no achievement linked to collecting it but it took me to 101% complete, some people are up to 105% so there's still more around!

Also, I can't read page 12 of this thread. Chrome is giving me a malware warning. Dodgy aaaads.

:O

Is one of these around the area with the two gun turrets and the elevator that you can go under for an achivement? I noticed if you jump over the left turret ywhere you pull a box with the magnet that you can get to the other side(I managed to get there by standing on the box and making a weird jump as it rose). There seems to be a white orb up there that wasn't linked to an achievement. Tried to reach it for awhile to get it with no luck though.

Big B said:

indie devs copying each other? Feist has been in development for a while though.

Limbo first showed up back in 2006, or earlier. That's when the earliest released footage of it is I think, before it was an XBLA game.

modeps

Neo Member
forgeforsaken said:
Limbo first showed up back in 2006, or earlier. That's when the earliest released footage of it is I think, before it was an XBLA game.

According to Mads the producer, it's actually been in "development" for 6 years.

Papercuts said:
:O

Is one of these around the area with the two gun turrets and the elevator that you can go under for an achivement? I noticed if you jump over the left turret ywhere you pull a box with the magnet that you can get to the other side(I managed to get there by standing on the box and making a weird jump as it rose). There seems to be a white orb up there that wasn't linked to an achievement. Tried to reach it for awhile to get it with no luck though.
Yeah, it was that one. Have fun getting to it :p

theRizzle

I love this game. I was actually considering not getting it until there was a price drop, but I actually felt bad about being such a stickler over five dollars, so I bought it yesterday and am SO glad I did.

Right from the beginning, when
your guy first opens his eyes
I had a huge smile on my face. I won't claim to be willing to pay $200 bucks to play Flower like some people, but I would have been willing to pay $30 or $40 for this game.

I just finished the game, and I don't know how I feel, the puzzles and gameplay were awesome but I think I need some time to decide what I think about the ending.

FrankT

Game is so brutal and so punishing, but I love it. In the very basic sense of gameplay we need more games like this.

Rad-

Finally found a new secret orb (now got 3). Spent like 2 hours today just trying to find more. Too addicting. The guy on top has found 6 so there's at least 3 more to find.

JRW

MrSerrels said:
Yeah, same. Not that this wouldn't look good on any TV, but it feels like it was built for Plasmas.

watership said:
THIS. I played this in a dark room on my 50 inch Panny. Unbelievable.

Yes this game is perfectly suited for a TV with good black levels, Im playing it on a 50" Kuro Plasma and it looks amazing, I bought the game late last night so it was also dark in my room.

Thenarus

Neo Member
Wait...how many completion points (as the percentage score) are the achievements worth? I've got 101% but haven't done the straight run with five or less deaths, so how much would completing that raise my score? (The easter eggs in this game are brilliant!)

EDIT: Ah, it's 2% for that achievement. More eggs to hunt, then...

Pakkidis said:
Just finished the game, I thought it was fantastic but the length makes it difficult for me to recommend it for that price point. I know I sound like a broken record but the game is simply too short for its own good. It really needs one or two more major areas to really flesh it out.

Presumably you'd have problems recommending a full retail game that was 'only' 12 hours long, regardless of how much you enjoyed it. Bananas.

Wizpig

Spoilers.

I found
one of those secret things at the end of a cog, in the darkness... but it didn't unlock an achievement!
I thought it was supposed to do so, since the one at the very beginning of the game did.

Hmm... help?

N4Us

Beat it, loved it. I'm probably going to start over again later tonight and see if I can get the eggs this time around, since I didn't grab any on my first run through. The
schoolbus
theory makes a lot of sense, although I think
it looks more like a treehouse to me at the end. I wanna say that they might've been attacked by a wild animal or their treehouse caught on fire while they were inside, but that all seems like a stretch.

I take back what I said about the price earlier, it was worth every moon point.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
To anyone hunting the secret stuff beyond the achievements, can anyone clarify something here?

I went back to one of the earlier levels with the tribe kids, specifically the one that starts with the double swinging bear trap where the one climbs a rope into the treehouse. I am getting EXTREMELY close to getting up while he's still climbing and pulls the rope up, to the point where I feel like it's actually possible to grab. You just need to perfectly bait the traps and get on the rope. The problem is it's swinging a lot so it seems hard to get up there quickly. I'm not sure if this is impossible or if I just need to do it better.

watership

Ledsen said:
Why is it ridicolous to expect a certain quality from a game based on how much you payed for it?

It seems almost every game that's over 800 points ends up being part of a huge debate about being "worth it". If all arcade games were 1200 standard, I wonder how the perception of value would be. It certainly wouldn't be... 4 hours vs 6 hours. It would be: Good game, okay game, bad game.

sgnhh

Neo Member
Wizpig said:
Spoilers.

I found
one of those secret things at the end of a cog, in the darkness... but it didn't unlock an achievement!
I thought it was supposed to do so, since the one at the very beginning of the game did.

Hmm... help?

Some are not tied to achievements.

Helmholtz

Finished it. I liked it a lot, really neat mood and atmosphere. I have to admit that the game is probably a little too short to warrant the price, but I still enjoyed the ride a lot. At first I didn't really like the ending, but I think that's just because I wanted to keep playing :lol
The ending is pretty good now that I look back, just seemed abrupt.

Wizpig

sgnhh said:
Some are not tied to achievements.
Oh, I see.
I found another one
under an elevator and it did unlock an achievement.
Big B said:

http://www.playfeist.net/

More focused on jumps, seems more platform and less puzzle... so not really.
It's just that there are a lot of games with a similar style.
Some call it "emo", but that's not really the word i'm searching for.

The problem is these indie games rely on hype.
Maybe this "feist" is as good as Limbo, but if it doesn't get enough good reviews or hype... :\

Fox Mulder

FlawlessCowboy said:
Was excited for this until I found out it was 1200 MS Points. As I did with Braid, I will wait for this to drop in price before buying it.

I just like how MS pushes games to $15, but doesn't give you the option to buy that amount of MS points. I don't want to spend $20 just to buy a $15 game.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
bkfount said:
I just like how MS pushes games to $15, but doesn't give you the option to buy that amount of MS points. I don't want to spend $20 just to buy a $15 game.
You can buy points in 400pt increments on the Zune website.

Wizpig

Jtyettis said:
Yes you can do this now and online through the MP. So yea you can buy 1200 on the money.
Not in all regions though.
I noticed a 500 option, but not a 400 one.
I don't know if there's a 800 one, actually... wait, maybe it's because i'm checking Xbox.com instead of the dashboard.

EagleEyes said:
Leaderboard is up to around 80k. Thats not too shabby for less than 2 days on the market. Go Limbo.
All these people getting ripped off for a 3 hour game with no replayability that isn't even in full colour. Dis-gusting.

FrankT

bkfount said:
don't you end up spending more than $15 that way though?

Nope;

Xbox LIVE 400 Microsoft Points bundle - $4.99
Xbox LIVE 800 Microsoft Points bundle - $9.99

EagleEyes said:
Leaderboard is up to around 80k. Thats not too shabby for less than 2 days on the market. Go Limbo.

A cool $1.2 million already. Very nice.

Psy-Phi

watership said:
It seems almost every game that's over 800 points ends up being part of a huge debate about being "worth it". If all arcade games were 1200 standard, I wonder how the perception of value would be. It certainly wouldn't be... 4 hours vs 6 hours. It would be: Good game, okay game, bad game.
Replayability would be a large factor.

Something like Shadow Complex vs Limbo for example...I feel Shadow Complex is worth my $15 more than Limbo is.

47% of the way though according the to the leaderboard. Played about 2 hours I'd guess - so probably right around a 4 hour game unless you can finish the game with less than 100% completion like Arkham Asylum. Expensive, but a GREAT experience. I'd put it on par with Flower, although the feelings you get from both are completely different.

One of my favorite parts so far
was when the spider comes back with just one leg and you have to sever the last leg by pulling on it and rolling his body into the water to cross it
. My wife was watching at the time and had her hand over her mouth out of sheer...disgust? Amazement?

Amir0x

Banned
I do like the game, but it's got a few problems. Controls can be rather clunky. It's particularly difficult to tell when the game will allow you to jump a certain distance or not - it's got some momentum based movement based on the type of jump, but it's not always reliable. It's really weird and awkward. Could have used more playtesting.

And yeah, for 1200, it IS too short. I played for fifteen minutes and was 30% through the game. With little-to-no replay value (once you know the puzzles, you can speed run your way through the game in probably 30 minutes or even less), it's difficult to justify the price for me.

The gameplay is not good enough to make up for the short value. Some of the puzzles can be pretty clever and of course the art direction is rad.

I'd give the game like a 7.0 or something like that. Just overall it needed some polishing, some meat on its bones and some basic gameplay improvements.

Pakkidis

Amir0x said:
I do like the game, but it's got a few problems. Controls can be rather clunky. It's particularly difficult to tell when the game will allow you to jump a certain distance or not - it's got some momentum based movement based on the type of jump, but it's not always reliable. It's really weird and awkward. Could have used more playtesting.

And yeah, for 1200, it IS too short. I played for fifteen minutes and was 30% through the game. With little-to-no replay value (once you know the puzzles, you can speed run your way through the game in probably 30 minutes or even less), it's difficult to justify the price for me.

The gameplay is not good enough to make up for the short value. Some of the puzzles can be pretty clever and of course the art direction is rad.

I'd give the game like a 7.0 or something like that. Just overall it needed some polishing, some meat on its bones and some basic gameplay improvements.

I did a run through again and did it in about 1 hour and 15 minutes but I died here and there, I could get it down to about an hour if I tried. Agree with everything you said.

Top Bottom