• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LIMBO |OT| What awaits at the edge of Hell?

Jasoco

Banned
modeps said:
I was checking out this thread and hit page 12 where Chrome yelled at me.
I already explained it on page 12. It's Unomas' avatar. He hosted it on some shitty unknown website that Chrome thinks is evil. Unomas, you need to upload your avatar somewhere else, like Tinypic or something.

Amir0x said:
I'd give the game like a 7.0 or something like that. Just overall it needed some polishing, some meat on its bones and some basic gameplay improvements.
0_0

Well, different strokes, I guess.

w/r/t to your jumping problem: the camera moves in and out a lot, affecting your sense of how wide a given jump is. And momentum is a huge part of jumping, which I love. I honestly think it controls better than any other 2D platformer I've played in a while.

Feep

Banned
$!Hey, guys, I'm out at dinner with the devs of Limbo, celebrating their success. I brought up this thread on my phone, and they were pleasured as punch. From Peter and Jeppe:

"Reading these replies just brings smiles to our faces; it makes us love developing games for you guys, Thank you so much."

They're sitting right to me. Say hi, GAF!

Feep said:
$!Hey, guys, I'm out at dinner with the devs of Limbo, celebrating their success. I brought up this thread on my phone, and they were pleasured as punch. From Peter and Jeppe:

"Reading these replies just brings smiles to our faces; it makes us love developing games for you guys, Thank you so much."

Hi. I liked your game.

FrankT

Feep said:

Awesome stuff. Game is superb and not even done yet. Congratz with all the success of this game. We need more games like this not less.

soldat7

My wife hates video games but was captivated watching me play the demo. She was even yelling out some ideas on how to solve a few of the puzzles. :lol

EagleEyes

Awesome, awesome game. Is sitting right next to Mass Effect 2 and Alan Wake as my favorite videogame experience this year. Bravo, Playdead.

Amory

Edit: Nvm. I think I got it.

The atmosphere in this game is unbelievable. Like nothing I've ever played before

DualX

This has to be one of the best indie games I've ever played. Played through the game from start to finish day 1 after I got off of work. It took me around 4 hours, but I almost didn't even eat dinner because I couldn't put the controller down.

Here's to more amazing stuff from Playdead. =)

BlisterBrown

Neo Member
Feep said:

You should ask them if there is a 9 and 10th secret egg, shits driving me crazy.

N4Us

Amory Blaine said:
Can someone tell me how saving works? There's no manual option I can see. It's probably elsewhere in this thread, but I'm really tired and I just wanna go to bed.

I love the game, by the way.

It autosaves at whatever your last respawn point was, where you appear when you die.

Amory

N4Us said:
It autosaves at whatever your last respawn point was, where you appear when you die.

Thanks. I wasn't sure if those were "true" save points that you could come back to, or if those were more spread out.

fernoca

Finally got this..and darn..loving every minute..

Reminds me of Braid, in that I have to break my brain in half trying to solve the puzzles...just to sometimes being so obvious.. :lol :lol

Lovely game, great job. :)

dejay

Banned
I don't do gaming side much these days and haven't heard about this game at all. I decided to check out the recently released XBLA games last night and downloaded this as well as some others.

I was immediately blown away by the art direction and gave up my allards as soon as I ran out of demo. The depth of field and particle effects are beautiful and the game so far has been great with plenty of variety in puzzles and enemies. I never would have believed I'd be so graphically in love with a black and white game.

After I beat this game, I said it was good but overrated. I still say that, but I have to say, this game really leaves a great impression on me, and that is, perhaps, what makes it so powerful. The whole experience--though short and pricey--is addicting, absorbing, and thought-provoking. I like the subtlties of the music and story, but I really think just a little more emphasis on those departments could make Limbo 2 even more excellent.

It is also a game I desire a sequel to. That says a lot, since I usually don't want sequels to original games.

Great game though a bit short.

That
spider sequence
was seriously amazing. When
you get caught up in it's web? So good.

edit: Oh, and as far as indie games that have fallen off the radar. What the hell happened to Fez? That game looked great.

cornontheCoD

Neo Member
sublime085 said:
Great game though a bit short.

That
spider sequence
was seriously amazing. When
you get caught up in it's web? So good.

edit: Oh, and as far as indie games that have fallen off the radar. What the hell happened to Fez? That game looked great.

It got renamed to Fedge, and no one knows what happened after that.

cornontheCoD said:
It got renamed to Fedge, and no one knows what happened after that.
Fedge, huh? I just checked the dev's site and this FAQ was posted 5-20-10.

Q: Is Fez cancelled?

A: Yes. I mean, No.

Q: When is it coming out?

A: Yes.

And wiki says it's an early 2010 title. Hope we see it soon.

JRW

Wow they weren't kidding about this game being short BUT it was a great experience IMO. My little nephew watched me play the entire time lol.

Hige

Managed to get "No Point in Dying" on my third run through. Died 19 times on a casual 2nd run with at least 6 of those on the final jump. :lol Third run I only died twice and finished in 61 minutes. It's not too bad with some practice, just try to be extra cautious around the hazardous areas.

The game is short, but going through the entire game with 5 or less deaths is tense and exciting, which is a very different feeling from a 1st playthrough because the respawn system is so forgiving. Also, the non-achievement eggs seem to be the real puzzle in the game, most are really well hidden. The chapter select feature is appreciated and I've found myself going through sections of the game repeatedly looking for extra eggs or just to mess around.

adelante

Hige said:
Also, the non-achievement eggs seem to be the real puzzle in the game, most are really well hidden. The chapter select feature is appreciated and I've found myself going through sections of the game repeatedly looking for extra eggs or just to mess around.
I think other 2D puzzle/platform devs should take the same approach: build a game that isn't too hard to complete but design some mindbending ones in non-linear parts of the game.

Noogy

Just finished my first playthrough. Clocked in at 2 1/2 hours, and that was with quite a bit of exploring. What a wonderful experience.

Jex

It was an enjoyable experience, with lovely art, some nice mechanics and fairly well designed levels (apart from the dull last third).

Still, all these "masterpiece" comments are lost on me. I just don't see it. It's certainly good though.

I also appreciate well-designed checkpoints/autosaves. No UI was a good move too.

Ledsen

watership said:
It seems almost every game that's over 800 points ends up being part of a huge debate about being "worth it". If all arcade games were 1200 standard, I wonder how the perception of value would be. It certainly wouldn't be... 4 hours vs 6 hours. It would be: Good game, okay game, bad game.

And that's exactly my perception of value in this case, but apparently some people (not you) get worked up over price/value discussion no matter what. Not everyone is complaining about the length. I almost feel like there are more people complaining or ironizing over complainers than actual complainers.

Ledsen

Tricky I Shadow said:
What the? I just got all of the achievements and the leaderboard says I’m only 98% finished. Shouldn’t I be on 100%?

You should be at 105% if you've found everything (which you haven't). Everything isn't tied to an achievement.

This game has grown on me. I love the fact that only background music is just you (realtime) breathing and footsteps. It remind me of an old black and white horrible movie. To many surprises.

Gigglepoo

Chauncy Talon said:
This game has grown on me. I love the fact that only background music is just you (realtime) breathing and footsteps. It remind me of an old black and white horrible movie. To many surprises.

All black-and-white movies are horrible.

Noogy

Chauncy Talon said:
Actually there was quite a bit of music going on. I loved all the cues, particularly the Yamaoka sounding piece near the
Gravity shifting pulley at the end.

JaxJag

Banned
People saying the controls are clunky, what game are you playing?

The controls feel spot-on, on par with a 2D Mario game.

Yea, I notice the sound... Most of the time, I'm in the zone. When I get a little furstated, I come back to Gaf. It's nice to see all these people on here and somebody reply to my post.

One thing I hate is the eerie music right before you know
That you need to move a box
to explore.

FateBreaker said:
I like the subtlties of the music and story, but I really think just a little more emphasis on those departments could make Limbo 2 even more excellent.
Oh God, I need to leave this thread.

More emphasis on music and story, what?? Limbo 2?! Why would you even make a sequelshfddqhwshfnas

Danielsan

JaxJag said:
People saying the controls are clunky, what game are you playing?

The controls feel spot-on, on par with a 2D Mario game.
Controls are as tight as can be.

Anywho I just finished the game... I think.
On my leaderboard it only says 78% completion. Furthermore, I have someone on my leaderboard with 106% completion. What?

Nedjoe

Neo Member
Danielsan said:
Anywho I just finished the game... I think.
On my leaderboard it only says 78% completion. Furthermore, I have someone on my leaderboard with 106% completion. What?

There are alot of hidden eggs you can squish. Some are tied to achievements and some are not.

Danielsan

Nedjoe said:
There are alot of hidden eggs you can squish. Some are tied to achievements and some are not.
Yeah I figured as much.
Kinda bummed that it ended so abruptly. I thought that I still had 1/4 to go. :(
Fantastic game though.

Danielsan

ACE 1991 said:
So what's the gaf consensus on the overall difficulty of limbo?
The checkpoints are exceptionally well done and forgiving.
Some of the puzzles can be quite hard. More often than not it works to just leave the game for a while and come back with a fresh mindset. It's very satisfying when you finally get it.
Overall I'd say the difficulty is great and the challenge lies in solving the puzzles.

Ledsen

ACE 1991 said:
So what's the gaf consensus on the overall difficulty of limbo?

It's not very hard. I can't remember getting stumped on any puzzle for more than a few minutes. Much easier than Braid for example, but there are quite a few annoying timing puzzles that you'll have to repeat over and over even though you've already figured out the solution.

Shake Appeal said:
Oh God, I need to leave this thread.

More emphasis on music and story, what?? Limbo 2?! Why would you even make a sequelshfddqhwshfnas

Why not? It's a puzzle game, a second game could add more interesting and challenging puzzles.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Just beat this. I can't say anything that hasn't already been said, but I'll add this much - I had fairly high expectations, almost unrealistic expectations, and I feel Limbo met, and surpassed, them all.

Beautiful game. I hope this sells big, PlayDead deserve it.

GuiltybyAssociation said:
Beautiful game. I hope this sells big, PlayDead deserve it.

Approaching 100k on the leaderboard... I know that in not a 1:1 for buys, but it shows people are playing

24wui42.jpg

Top Bottom