• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LIMBO |OT| What awaits at the edge of Hell?

Danielsan

Ledsen said:
Why not? It's a puzzle game, a second game could add more interesting and challenging puzzles.
Or you know, they could work on an exiting new IP.

Keyser Soze said:
Approaching 100k on the leaderboard... I know that in not a 1:1 for buys, but it shows people are playing

http://s3.tinypic.com/24wui42.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I'm really glad to see it's selling well.
The price is a bit steep when you consider the length of the game, but I feel that the experience more than warranted the purchase.

rhino4evr

I'm a sucker for these type of games (out of this world, oddworld) but at the moment I can only say I'm mildly amused..the puzzles so far (I just got past the Hotel letters from the trailer)..haven't been too challenging (not Braid challenging) and despite the awesome art style and atmosphere..the game feels a little empty and shallow. I'm hoping my mind changes soon. So far I'd rate it around 7 or 8

Wizpig

Amir0x said:
I do like the game, but it's got a few problems. Controls can be rather clunky. It's particularly difficult to tell when the game will allow you to jump a certain distance or not - it's got some momentum based movement based on the type of jump, but it's not always reliable. It's really weird and awkward. Could have used more playtesting.

And yeah, for 1200, it IS too short. I played for fifteen minutes and was 30% through the game. With little-to-no replay value (once you know the puzzles, you can speed run your way through the game in probably 30 minutes or even less), it's difficult to justify the price for me.

The gameplay is not good enough to make up for the short value. Some of the puzzles can be pretty clever and of course the art direction is rad.

I'd give the game like a 7.0 or something like that. Just overall it needed some polishing, some meat on its bones and some basic gameplay improvements.
Disagreed on controls, they are as perfect as they can get in a physics-based platform game.
Shake Appeal said:
I guess we get the videogame industry we deserve.
Sadly true.

nny

After finishing the game I've been playing random chapters, love the environments, I can see myself going back to this game regularly.

Keyser Soze said:
Approaching 100k on the leaderboard... I know that in not a 1:1 for buys, but it shows people are playing

This is great and deserved.

Tricky I Shadow said:
That's me! :lol

106%? Kudos.

This game is leagues ahead of Braid in almost every way. Also I haven't had my 360 online since playing it, so you can add another 1 to those numbers :).

The credits were way longer than I was expecting (in terms of number of people who worked on this).

I just can't even process complaints about the controls. There are some things I think you could have a debate about, and there are a few (not many) things that are less than perfect, but the controls? A+++

butter_stick said:
I don't know how anyone can think this is better than Braid. Braid is better in every respect except possibly artstyle.
Controls worse, has worse music and sound, has worse art, has worse animation, is more obnoxious and narcissistic.

Otherwise, yeah, Braid's gameplay and puzzles, and the thematic unity of these, are far superior.

But Playdead seem to have a reasonably sized team, whereas Braid was made by more or less two people, and conceived and designed by one, so it's a more staggering achievement.

Danielsan

Shake Appeal said:
I just can't even process complaints about the controls. There are some things I think you could have a debate about, and there are a few (not many) things that are less than perfect, but the controls? A+++
Exactly, the responsiveness of the character is pitch perfect.
I also love that's it's just "action" and "jump". Control schemes these days are far too complex.

rhino4evr

Personally I prefer the impressionistic Artstyle of Braid to the black and white shadow world of Limbo.

I didn't have problems with the controls in either game.

Limbo really reminds me of Boy and His Blob without th blob and more environment puzzles.

Zeliard

rhino4evr said:
Personally I prefer the impressionistic Artstyle of Braid to the black and white shadow world of Limbo.

I appreciate the art in Limbo so much, especially the backgrounds. The atmosphere is just so ominous. It feels like any second something abjectly terrifying could pop out of the shadows.

rhino4evr

Zeliard said:
I appreciate the art in Limbo so much, especially the backgrounds. The atmosphere is just so ominous. It feels like any second something abjectly terrifying could pop out of the shadows.
Yeah I dig the art style and the atmosphere...I just think the puzzles (so far) have been a little too simplistic. A game like this needs a multi-level type puzzle. As I posted before, I'm only up to the "hotel" part of the game. So I'm not sure how far I'm even at.

I'd also like to say that the game has far too many surprise deaths...it would be rather impossible to pass areas in the game without dying first...and that kinda takes the atmosphere out of game. You are basiclly just walking straight forward until you die next..sure you may be able to avoid some obstacles the first time you see them...but in most cases it's completely trial and error.

For instance early on you get to a point where a bear trap swoops down at you...it moves really quickly..to the point that it's really hard to avoid..then once you figure out t o avoid it another bear trap comes swooping down out of no where.

That's just plain unfair..

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Shake Appeal said:
Controls worse, has worse music and sound, has worse art, has worse animation, is more obnoxious and narcissistic.

Otherwise, yeah, Braid's gameplay and puzzles, and the thematic unity of these, are far superior.

But Playdead seem to have a reasonably sized team, whereas Braid was made by more or less two people, and conceived and designed by one, so it's a more staggering achievement.

Huh? You crazy.

Anyway, I finished the game and here are my thoughts.

The visuals are kind of a mess. There's a lack of cohesiveness with the crisp character art and the hazy backgrounds. I love the way the backgrounds look, but the stuff in the foreground is mostly meh.

Gameplay, the first half of the game is hardcore trial and error. I don't care what your intent is, it's not good design if I'm supposed to die on the first try. The last half is just puzzle after puzzle, without some of the quiet moments of the first half. Which were some of my favorite moments. It did seem to end quite abruptly and I thought some of the gravity stuff was out of place. In general the game felt schizophrenic with all the things it was trying to be.

Sound, loved it! No complaints.

Other, it seems like the designers knew that the violence in the game was distracting, because they put in an option to tone it down. It's quite off putting and came off like a cheap laugh sometimes. Pretty juvenile aspect of an otherwise mature title.

Price debate, yeah 1200 points was too much for me in the end. I'm going to be more careful about making purchases for the rest of the Summer of Arcade. Oh well. Money better spent on this than another Shooter DLC-a-thon.

rhino4evr said:
For instance early on you get to a point where a bear trap swoops down at you...it moves really quickly..to the point that it's really hard to avoid..then once you figure out t o avoid it another bear trap comes swooping down out of no where.

That's just plain unfair..
I loved that bit, I'd also arguably call it a spoiler.

Wizpig

Ledsen said:
Instead of a snarky answer maybe you could give me an actual argument?
Everyone asks for sequels, original projects are few and far between.

The industry can't grow like this.

butter_stick said:
I don't know how anyone can think this is better than Braid. Braid is better in every respect except possibly artstyle.

One reason why everybody thinks it's better tehn braid is the fact is how you die. In Braid... you never die. Also, Braid had a Super Mario Bros. 2 look (US version). It just did not hit as hard as it should. Limbo is dark and gritty. You never know when you are about to die... In Braid you died, but you got to rewind the time... Great feature, but there is 99 millions way to die and you had just chosen one. Playdead have created an artstyle by using Black and White to there advantage. Being different is what gets people attention. That why people like it so much.

Ledsen

Wizpig said:
Everyone asks for sequels, original projects are few and far between.

The industry can't grow like this.

I wasn't asking for a sequel, I was responding to Shaky Appeal's outrage at the mere thought of one. But if I had to choose between waiting another 6 years and getting a "sequel" (obviously it wouldn't necessarily reuse the same theme) using the same engine with expanded gameplay, I'd choose the latter.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I played the demo last night and will definitely be buying this game this weekend. Game-making at its absolute finest.

Ledsen said:
I wasn't asking for a sequel, I was responding to Shaky Appeal's outrage at the mere thought of one. But if I had to choose between waiting another 6 years and getting a "sequel" (obviously it wouldn't necessarily reuse the same theme) using the same engine with expanded gameplay, I'd choose the latter.

I would co-sign to that. I love the fact when developers just make you wait for the next game. I'm not talking about the annual 2 to 3 years wait, I'm talking about the 5 to 10 years wait. It makes you forget about it and revisit it.

Wizpig

Chauncy Talon said:
One reason why everybody thinks it's better tehn braid is the fact is how you die. In Braid... you never die. Also, Braid had a Super Mario Bros. 2 look (US version). It just did not hit as hard as it should. Limbo is dark and gritty. You never know when you are about to die... In Braid you died, but you got to rewind the time... Great feature, but there is 99 millions way to die and you had just chosen one. Playdead have created an artstyle by using Black and White to there advantage. Being different is what gets people attention. That why people like it so much.
wut.

Also, in Braid you have slightly (or not just slightly) different gameplay in every single world, but apparently the important thing is how you die, so Limbo is superior. (?)

Braid is a different project and comparisons between the two shouldn't even exist; other than this, I'm pretty sure Braid is definitely more complex than Limbo; not just for the players, but even for the developers to make.

Braid was also more important for indie games, at least on the 360.

Chauncy Talon said:

Dying in itself isn't fun. A lot of the time when I died in Limbo, I felt it was because the game reached out the TV and fucked me. At least in Braid you're a few seconds away from rewinding back to where you want to be. Stops it being frustrating.

So, I just beat it... it wasn't a long game, but a solid experience.

I have to say, I was pissed when I thought two of the achievement eggs I hit weren't registering, especially
the one on the ceiling past the turret looking at the top of the elevator. I used momentum (and flipping on/off the switch) to get a crate out of the top left as it's sliding down a hill, then pushed it over, flipped gravity, moved both crates over, used the pusher to stack it and a box from earlier, then slowly pushed the two boxes over to the far left wall, and use those two to climb up and hit the egg on the ceiling. It took me a while to get right, so I was like, "Yeaaaahhhwhat."
That was the second one to do that for me, the first one was
where you climb the giant gear while the world's rotating, up to that dark alcove just past it on the right
. So I had this fear the game had semi-broken achievements. I was glad to find out otherwise.

I did a chapter number check and located the rest of the ones I'd missed (I knew that pipe was suspicious, but
the rope looked like background
), so the only thing left is the 5 or less live run. I don't think I'm good enough to pull that off.

Edit: Okay, this is just getting silly (Chapter 15 Secret spoiler).
There are three eggs just in that tunnel alone, not just the one that nets you the achievement.
Kind of wonder if there's a Braid
stars
situation going on.

Im one that does gets frustrated with dying a lot in games, but I didnt get frustrated with this game at all, and I died A LOT. Liked it more than Braid (although I dont think they are really comparable, just following everyone else), but thats no knock on Braid.

Beat the game, I think at 96%. Great game!

I really liked the sudden deaths and thought they added a lot to the atmosphere of the game. The game is obviously designed for dying, with the constant checkpoints and the achievement for beating the game with "five deaths or less." The deaths are usually so grisly and unexpected that they pack a lot of punch. I didn't see the unavoidable dying as failing at the game so much as experiencing it.

nny

forgeforsaken said:
I actually did get those on my own but then wasn't sure if there were as I couldn't find anyway to proceed after the last one.

I don't think I would ever think of
trying to pull boxes in the middle of the dark, for one

Ahah, this one is even crazier (Secret spoilers):

You have to spin the "O" in Chapter 12, so that in Chapter 23 you can open a drawer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2xW4MrHJEs&feature=related

Nuts.

Good game. Later on I missed the tension that the
spider
brought to the gameplay though. At the same time I suppose it's good that they didn't overuse it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
MomoPufflet said:
Good game. Later on I missed the tension that the
spider
brought to the gameplay though. At the same time I suppose it's good that they didn't overuse it.

I jumped a mile when
the spider tried to jump the gap as you're running away from it
. Wasn't expecting that to happen at all. :lol

Carlisle

rhino4evr said:

I didn't have problems with the controls in either game.

Limbo really reminds me of Boy and His Blob without th blob and more environment puzzles.
Sold.

xbhaskarx

JaxJag said:
People saying the controls are clunky, what game are you playing?

The controls feel spot-on, on par with a 2D Mario game.

Tricky I Shadow said:
Also.....whoever says that the controls are bad is insane. They're completely 100% perfect!

Shake Appeal said:

Yes yes the controls are perfect, but there's really no point in discussing it as apparently only one person in this thread disagrees...

Rat Salad

Banned
I'm probably the poorest sob here and I don't have a problem paying $15.00 for the game. It shines in a ton of areas,you guys must be burned out-playing too many games to not enjoy this one. Its a relaxing yet suspenseful game. Its so different from whats out there too,I can see myself replaying this and I don't do that for many games.

xbhaskarx

Chauncy Talon said:
This game has grown on me. I love the fact that only background music is just you (realtime) breathing and footsteps. It remind me of an old black and white horrible movie. To many surprises.

Chauncy Talon said:
O yea. I'm almost done with this game. 47% for being on
chapter 19
just doesn't add up. I've must of missed a bunch of things.

Chauncy Talon said:

These comments are making my head hurt... it's like reading a fifth grader's homework.

xbhaskarx

nny said:
Ahah, this one is even crazier (Secret spoilers):

You have to spin the "O" in Chapter 12, so that in Chapter 23 you can open a drawer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2xW4MrHJEs&feature=related

Nuts.

Okay, that is just fucked up. I'm not even going to try to find the silly eggs because there's no way I would ever think to do that without having seen the video.

Kulock said:
Edit: Okay, this is just getting silly (Chapter 15 Secret spoiler).
There are three eggs just in that tunnel alone, not just the one that nets you the achievement.
Kind of wonder if there's a Braid
stars
situation going on.

Watching these videos is pissing me off... I don't remember the specifics regarding the equivalent thing in Braid, but I don't think those were anywhere near this cheap.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
xbhaskarx said:
These comments are making my head hurt... it's like reading a fifth grader's homework.

I think Chauncy Talon meant to say 'black and white horror movie'. :lol In which case, the comment is actually positive.

Edit: Duh, I get it now. I somehow missed the second half of your post and thought you were quoting people who dislike the game. :lol Be kind, it's late. :p

Chapter 22. Zip line thing solution.
Jump off onto the roof with the steaming pipe or you will hit some spikes
and die. Slide down the roof and jump towards the arrow. HIT THE ACTION
BUTTON AS SOON AS YOU PASS IN FRONT OF THE ARROW; otherwise you will fall and die.

Thank you Gamefaqs. That part was driving me nuts. Thought you were supposed to gain momentum by swinging off the rope with expert timing to dodge the spikes and the blade and grab onto what looked like a rope below it.
Did feel like it would've been an incomprehensible difficulty spike.

xbhaskarx

JaseC said:
I think Chauncy Talon meant to say 'black and white horror movie'. :lol In which case, the comment is actually positive.

Edit: Duh, I get it now. I somehow missed the second half of your post and thought you were quoting people who dislike the game. :lol Be kind, it's late. :p

Okay, horror makes more sense than horrible. :lol

I don't care if people like the game or not, but the spelling, the arguments that make no sense and jump around, the short sentences ("Being different is what gets people attention. That why people like it so much.")...

I don't know what to say to people complaining about "trial and error" gameplay either, as if that isn't the point, as if that isn't thematically valuable and interesting to what's going on, and as if you don't just instantly reload about five feet away every time.

I mean, I just...

No, fuck it, I'm leaving the thread. You guys are incorrigible.

Top Bottom