• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LIMBO |OT| What awaits at the edge of Hell?

Davedough

somesayyea said:
okay, just saw the videos and this game looks great. the visual look is incredible...will definitely look into picking it up.

quick question - is this a 360 exclusive? (not that it matters - just wondering)

From what I understand, PLAYDEAD says it will be available for play on "consoles" this year but launching on XBLA this summer... so, soon maybe?

seady

Davedough said:
From what I understand, there's no narrative, but the "story" is told through your character's interactions. In other words, as you journey through Limbo, your visual clues give you small details about where you actually are and what may have happened.

That's the problem with a lot of artsy games.
The graphical style is awesome, but it doesn't have anything to fall back on to make the games memorable (and with soul) outside of the pretty pictures. Which is no different than those technically beautiful but soulless shooter or button masher.

Rat Salad

Banned
Davedough said:
From what I understand, PLAYDEAD says it will be available for play on "consoles" this year but launching on XBLA this summer... so, soon maybe?

Well I hope its cleared up soon because a certain crowd always manage to shit up these threads with their port begging,its fucking annoying.

$15.00 ain't too bad. I myself am seriously spoiled with $1.00 indie games though,but the quality in this game looks off the charts. I really hope this game has a soundtrack that backs those amazing graphics.

Draft

Maybe you don't need the story spelled out in a bunch of boring ass cutscenes. Maybe you can just be a creepy ass shadow kid exploring a creepy ass shadow forest, and that's that.

Davedough

ACE 1991 said:
So I take it this a puzzle platformer. Is there an emphasis on either the the latter or the former?

It is a puzzle platformer. Every few feet there's something else you have to get past. Pull X lever to relieve Y water spout, etc. Its very puzzle heavy with platforming.

Rat Salad said:
Well I hope its cleared up soon because a certain crowd always manage to shit up these threads with their port begging,its fucking annoying.

$15.00 ain't too bad. I myself am seriously spoiled with $1.00 indie games though,but the quality in this game looks off the charts. I really hope this game has a soundtrack that backs those amazing graphics.

I believe its all ambient sounds and tones to set the creepy mood. No music.

Draft said:
Maybe you don't need the story spelled out in a bunch of boring ass cutscenes. Maybe you can just be a creepy ass shadow kid exploring a creepy ass shadow forest, and that's that.

You sir, speak the truth.

But where's the dynamic choice system? Or the invading ______ ?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So where's the hype for this? The quicklook on Giantbomb made it look like GotY.

Spookie

Draft said:

I hope it begins like the GBQL. That would be awesome. I don't need no stinkin' cut scenes!

Though I'm hoping for a metric fucking tonne of atmosphere though

Rat Salad

Banned
seady said:
That's the problem with a lot of artsy games.
The graphical style is awesome, but it doesn't have anything to fall back on to make the games memorable (and with soul) outside of the pretty pictures. Which is no different than those technically beautiful but soulless shooter or button masher.

?
Sonic and Mario never had stories. For games such as this one you simply need to add a great atmospheric soundtrack along with some intelligent level design and story won't mean much in the end.

(edit)...wait no music in the game?
Ok,Strike One. Damn.:(

DaveDough,thanks for the link.
Glad this was verified quickly.

"We are only launching the title on XBLA," said Patti. "You won't see a PS3 or PC version this time around, sorry."

I am able to get it on my Xbox but I have to ask; why the fuck not Patti ?

Oh and I hoped I don't get screwed on this deal. How puzzlie is this game? As an example the only thing I liked about Braid was the colors and the music.

Davedough

Anerythristic said:
I am able to get it on my Xbox but I have to ask; why the fuck not Patti ?

My confusion was from an earlier press release back in March that said they were launching on XBLA and looking at other consoles later in the year. Given the verbiage of that quote from Patti... it still could be taken as they're not LAUNCHING on the PS3 or PC, but maybe later?

Draft

I would go so far as to say, based on what I've seen so far, any sort of text scrawl or voice over is going to diminish my enjoyment of the game.

Noogy

Draft said:
I would go so far as to say, based on what I've seen so far, any sort of text scrawl or voice over is going to diminish my enjoyment of the game.

I believe they are doing everything possible to make it a seemless, uninterrupted experience. Sounds awesome to me. I want to start running to the right, and never stop.

Davedough

Draft said:

You're exactly right. Anything of the sort takes you out of the atmosphere that the game conveys so well. There's no HUD, no voices (I take that back, I think I remember hearing a grunt or two), no "push X" icons... just you and the perils you've got to get past.

Dabanton

Draft said:

Your going to get the same dunderheads who used to come into the Braid threads to moan about it's 'pretentiousness'.

I wish they'd understand that sometimes a game just is.

Looks interesting, but will probably wait for reviews. Weird thing is I knew the game was called Limbo, but I didn't actually know it was about a kid going to the edge of Hell to find out what happened to his sister. That's kind of interesting.

Is it me or has the recent games being released on XBLA seemed way more interesting than the actual Summer of Arcade line-up?

I already got MI:2 and loved it. Deathspank looks pretty cool. Then there's Limbo and that MP only FPS they just released.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Dabanton said:
Your going to get the same dunderheads who used to come into the Braid threads to moan about it's 'pretentiousness'.

I wish they'd understand that sometimes a game just is.

But Braid was pretentious.

Davedough

Union Carbine said:
Wow, great looking game. It looks like there's a bunch of gameplay videos on youtube. Here's one.

I love the visual design.

That "one" you linked to looks like teaser trailer that they showed a while back while it was still in development. Thats not final game footage. The boy looks different with hair and his arms moving more when he walks. There's also no fall back and crawl option when controlling him.

Davedough said:
That "one" you linked to looks like teaser trailer that they showed a while back while it was still in development. Thats not final game footage. The boy looks different with hair and his arms moving more when he walks. There's also no fall back and crawl option when controlling him.
Ah, I didn't know. Even if it's not final game footage, it still looks mighty nice.

I fucking hate anything to do with spiders, but this looks so cool I may have to get it.

Damn GB quicklook making it look awesome.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I will buy this day one, been interested ever since that concept video was shown a few years back, before it was even a game project :D

Noogy

Patrick Klepek said:
The actual game is amazing. Chill, haters. You act like there won't be a demo.
Won't be needing the demo, my points are burning for that game now :) But very happy to get your approval.

oracrest

I can't wait for this, it's been what, 5, 6 years coming?

I am glad they finally got it done. the demo played really fun. I died a lot though. It reminded me a bit of Another World, very punishing!

FrankT

dLMN8R said:
This game is truly amazing, and well worth the $15 price point.

img][/URL]

A winna is you.

oracrest said:
I can't wait for this, it's been what, 5, 6 years coming?

I am glad they finally got it done. the demo played really fun. I died a lot though. It reminded me a bit of Another World, very punishing!

Wow that is a long time for any game.

Davedough

I think people are gonna be pleasantly surprised with this game. It's definitely got my attention over other games I've currently got yet to play. If I wasn't at work, I'd be on it right now.

Top Bottom