• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LIMBO |OT| What awaits at the edge of Hell?

Shurs

Davedough said:
I clocked 7:30ish for my playthrough... but I'm a puzzle dolt.

I'm stuck on a particular puzzle. I've found if I quit and then come back a few hours later, I can easily figure out puzzles that troubled me earlier.

Davedough

Shurs said:
I'm stuck on a particular puzzle. I've found if I quit and then come back a few hours later, I can easily figure out puzzles that troubled me earlier.

I remember most of the puzzles. Shoot me a PM if you need some advice getting past one of them.

If I had to pay $1 for every hour that I played Geo Wars 2 the game would have cost me over $100.

The price is meant to be representative of the cost and effort that went into making the game, and what the publisher and developer think they can get away with. Really, $15 for a game to me is nothing.

I used to pay $20 retail for Pop Cap puzzler PC versions of games and I'd more than get the value out of it. Now the near enough same game is a false economy $1 on the iphone store.

Most of us used to pay $1 for 3 minutes of play on Daytona USA in an arcade. No one can tell anyone what something should be worth to them, the only thing they can do is price it at what they think it is worth. I'd probably pay more than $15 to get Limbo if it were a retail release.

For those who think big budget games should be cheaper I'm concerned what the economy of games like this, DeathSpank, Battlefield 43, Shadow Complex, Braid, and Geo Wars would then become. It would end up at price points that could never allow them to break even.

Shurs

Warm Machine said:
If I had to pay $1 for every hour that I played Geo Wars 2 the game would have cost me over $100.

I think Limbo is worth its asking price, but let's not pretend that puzzle games have the replay value of a game like Geometry Wars.

Jasoco

Banned
Wow. That Giant Bomb video really got me pumped. But right now I don't have my Xbox. It makes me want to get it back. Wish I had a disposable $300 to just buy a new one. Been waiting for this game forever.

I'd strongly advise not watching any more videos of this before you play it. Half the joy is in seeing what comes next.

Took me between 4 and 5 hours to finish it and I got stuck on one puzzle for AGES. Was all the more satisfying for having worked it out myself.

I wouldn't be surprised to see one or two 10/10s flying around come 2pm today.

FrankT

Vidoegamer 9;

http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/limbo/review.html

Eurogamer 9;

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/limbo-review

Nowgamer 9.4;

http://xbox-360.nowgamer.com/reviews/xbox-live/9311/limbo

Gamesradar: Why Limbo is a genuine masterpiece;

If you like clever game design, intelligent horror, or well-realised artistry, you really have to play through Limbo. It's an immaculate production, as close to perfect as it gets, and it will stay with you for a very long time. But please take my advice. Turn the lights off, get rid of all distractions and play it alone. You should even go so far as turning your Xbox notifications off. Because Limbo deserves your full attention, and will reward it immensely from start to finish.

http://www.gamesradar.com/f/why-limbo-is-a-genuine-masterpiece/a-2010071914334335033

V_Ben said:
360 Only... at the moment. I'd be surprised if it stayed that way forever.

I'd say at least a Braid/CC situation being Summer of Arcade and published by MS.

TehOh

4cr review is up!

Earlier, I compared Limbo to Braid. There are several similarities. Namely, both are puzzle-based platformers from small developers, and both have fairly unique art styles. Still, it isn’t quite a valid comparison. There is nothing else like Braid out there, and there is nothing like Limbo. This game takes the platformer and throws everything that you know about it out the window. It takes these insanely clever (and insanely difficult) puzzles and places them in one of the most visually unique environments that I have ever seen.

Yes, it is only about six hours long (for the first playthrough – if you care about achievements, you’ll need to complete it a few times) and yes, it costs about $15 in magic Microsoft space money. If you don’t mind the difficulty, it is so worth it. That fifteen bucks will buy you one of the most unique experiences to hit the Xbox this year.

TehOh

Shurs said:
I thought the embargo ended in an hour.

Close.. enough... Umm, yeah. Time zone confusion resulted in it going up slightly early. Might as well leave it out there now.

GhaleonQ

Oh, boy, I'm college acquaintances with John Teti (who did Eurogamer's review from the U.S., I guess) and he's a generally funny and insightful games writer, but this needs to stop right now:

"The trouble is that Limbo strays from the personal touch at its soul. One of its sweetest surprises came in the first couple seconds of play. I hit the jump button, and when my character landed, the controller vibrated. It's mild, yet it says a lot. It says that this is just a boy, not a futuristic robot or a genetic-freak hedgehog, so when he hits the ground with both feet, he feels it. And you do, too, by way of a lopsided motor in the Xbox 360 controller. With one touch (literally), the black silhouette on screen struck me as a full-bodied person.

That's Limbo: a game that has very few humans, but a surplus of humanity."

I hope this game does well, though.

Shurs

GhaleonQ said:
Oh, boy, I'm college acquaintances with John Teti (who did Eurogamer's review from the U.S., I guess) and he's a generally funny and insightful games writer, but this needs to stop right now:

"The trouble is that Limbo strays from the personal touch at its soul. One of its sweetest surprises came in the first couple seconds of play. I hit the jump button, and when my character landed, the controller vibrated. It's mild, yet it says a lot. It says that this is just a boy, not a futuristic robot or a genetic-freak hedgehog, so when he hits the ground with both feet, he feels it. And you do, too, by way of a lopsided motor in the Xbox 360 controller. With one touch (literally), the black silhouette on screen struck me as a full-bodied person.

It's easy to "wax poetic" about games like this, what few there are.

FrankT

IGN 9;

Rating Description
out of 10 Click here for ratings guide
9.0 Presentation
Limbo establishes a strong connection with the player despite the lack of story, dialogue, text, or explanation.
9.0 Graphics
You've never seen anything quite like this. The black and white visuals make everything creepier and the animation is very smooth.
9.0 Sound
Not only do the eerie sound effects set the mood, you often have to listen carefully for clues to solve puzzles.
9.0 Gameplay
The trial-and-death gameplay avoids being frustrating. Limbo always has a surprise waiting for you around the next corner.
8.0 Lasting Appeal
Limbo is a fairly short game, but you will enjoy every minute of it. Finding every hidden achievement will take a while.
OVERALL Outstanding
(out of 10)

Limbo is an incredible achievement. Very few games are as original, atmospheric, and consistently brilliant as Limbo. It belongs in everybody's collection. The journey may be over too quickly, but you will be entertained every minute. This is one of my favorite games ever.

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/110/1106885p1.html

Likely to be the highest rated XBLA since Braid maybe.

Ars: Limbo is a fresh, mesmerizing cypher. Buy it;

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/07/limbo-is-a-fresh-mesmerizing-cypher-buy-it.ars

Planet X360; 9.6

http://www.planetxbox360.com/article_11176/Limbo_Review

PowderedToast

GhaleonQ said:

i wouldn't expect that from eurogamer.

while this game itself doesn't interest me much i was curious to see how well it performed. it's pretty easy to see how it's gonna turn out now, though. there always seems to be a couple of independent games each year that the media latches onto and spews ridiculous praise over, limbo seems to have all the ingredients to fit that bill.

GhaleonQ

Shurs said:
It's easy to "wax poetic" about games like this, what few there are.

Absolutely. That said, we should all be able to agree that rumble landings (which are not original to this game) are not the baseline.

mujun

Gametrailers review says the game is 3 hours long. I'm still all over it. Just would have preferred that it was 5-6 like mentioned in this thread.

Davedough

mujun said:
Gametrailers review says the game is 3 hours long. I'm still all over it. Just would have preferred that it was 5-6 like mentioned in this thread.

3 hours is a bit presumptuous. I dont see that length given the complexity of some of the puzzles. That, to me is a bit far fetched.

Since when is a game "only" being 3-4 hours long a bad thing?

More short games please, I don't have enough time these days to play through filler.

mujun

TouchMyBox said:
Since when is a game "only" being 3-4 hours long a bad thing?

More short games please, I don't have enough time these days to play through filler.

Nothing wrong with it at all. Only reason I mentioned it is because it falls short of expectations I'd built based on info from this thread. That's all.

FrankT

G4: 5/5

http://g4tv.com/games/xbox-360/63971/limbo/review/

Tiniest of criticisms aside, Limbo is a top to bottom masterpiece. The last time I was this enthralled with a game world and a narrative (despite the fact that there is absolutely no explanation whatsoever about who the kid is, what happened to him, if he’s actually in “limbo” in the traditional sense, etc.) was BioShock, one of my favorite games of all time. It grabs hold of you at the title screen, and doesn’t let you go until after the credits roll. The ending definitely leaves the door open for a sequel, but while I can’t wait to see what Playdead has planned for it, I’m totally fine playing Limbo 100 times in the meantime, as it is without hesitation one of 2010’s best games.

Heh with him mentioning Bioshock it just turns it up to 11 for me. Still the best game I've played this generation

I suspect Game Informer is closer to the mark on play time for me rather than GT. Suppose I'll find out Wednesday then.

10/10 Destructoid;

http://www.destructoid.com/review-limbo-179246.phtml

TehOh

mujun said:

I can assure you that it took me about six hours. Unless you're a genius like the Gametrailers reviewer apparently is, you'll take longer.

Plus, there is no way in hell that you get every achievement in a single play.

Helmholtz

Do you have to have a Gold membership to buy this?
I'm thinking of getting it but I'm no longer subscribed to Gold and don't want to do it just for this.

Shurs

So, yeah, I loved Limbo. It's my opinion that the game is well worth the $15 asking price, due to the unique, well crafted experience that PlayDead created. My immediate reaction after playing it is that it's one of my favorite games of the year. Given a little time away from my experience with the game, I guess it's possible that my thoughts will change, but I seriously doubt it. There were times when playing it that I said "wow." This is pretty rare for me.

As far as game worlds go, Limbo is top notch.

Davedough

Helmholtz said:
Do you have to have a Gold membership to buy this?
I'm thinking of getting it but I'm no longer subscribed to Gold and don't want to do it just for this.

xbox.com said:
This title is only available to Xbox 360® owners with an Xbox LIVE® Silver or Gold membership, through download from the Xbox LIVE Marketplace.

Silver and Gold. Silver and Gold.

Helmholtz

Davedough said:
Silver and Gold. Silver and Gold.
Excellent, thanks. I'll probably get this then. I payed ~15 bucks for Braid when it came out, and it turned out to be one of my favorite games of all time, so I think I'll do the same for this.

EagleEyes

Shurs said:
So, yeah, I loved Limbo. It's my opinion that the game is well worth the $15 asking price, due to the unique, well crafted experience that PlayDead created. My immediate reaction after playing it is that it's one of my favorite games of the year. Given a little time away from my experience with the game, I guess it's possible that my thoughts will change, but I seriously doubt it. There were times when playing it that I said "wow." This is pretty rare for me.

As far as game worlds go, Limbo is top notch.
Where is your review at? Online? Magazine?

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
This game is downright wonderful. I loved each second of it, and it's definitely worth the admission price (even because you'll end up playing it again, mainly because of Achievement hunting).

(I've reviewed it, but it's in Portuguese.)

ZZMitch

Wow, this looks amazing. I had not heard of it until a few days ago, but the Giant Bomb review/quicklook sold me on it.

Top Bottom