• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LIMBO |OT| What awaits at the edge of Hell?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Loving the art style. Don't see the big deal for $15. I probably won't buy it Day one, but by the end of the month for sure.

Honestly, I'm concerned about the length of the game. I'm sure it's unfounded but this seems like the type of game that'd only be an hour or two long and people would defend it based upon the atmosphere and its 'indie' status. The game really needs to be 3-4+ hours, and I don't think it'll be that long.

Why does it need to be that long?

I mean, you haven't even played it yet. There's no way of telling what would be too much or too little. It just seems really arbitrary.

FrankT

Orbitcube said:
Honestly, I'm concerned about the length of the game. I'm sure it's unfounded but this seems like the type of game that'd only be an hour or two long and people would defend it based upon the atmosphere and its 'indie' status. The game really needs to be 3-4+ hours, and I don't think it'll be that long.

Fear not.

From said Game Informer review I mentioned eariler (9 GOTM);

Limbo has some challenging hidden achievements that will reward subsequent playthroughs, but the initial run is only 5 or 6 hours long. I beg you not to let that dissuade you from trying it out. As I played fellow editors would occasionally tap my shoulder and draw my attention away, and I would catch myself jumping-not because I was scared, but because I was so engrossed in the experience it felt jarring to be pulled out so suddenly. Play it. Turn up the sound. I challenge you not to feel the same.

ACE 1991

Any word on difficulty? Are there multiple levels? Given the genre, I'm guessing no.

Edit: that picture above me is amazing :lol

Shurs

xbhaskarx said:
Incredible

I don't see why people can't decide what the right price of a game is for themselves without being made fun of by others.

$15 can also buy 3 $5 games, or a $5 and $10 game. I also think that $15 is a fair price for a quality downloadable title, but I'm not going to question what others are willing to pay for a game.

I can't speak to the game's length as I haven't finished it, and impressions are embargoed until Monday, but, personally, experience is more important than length.

mujun

Shurs said:
I don't see why people can't decide what the right price of a game is for themselves without being made fun of by others.

$15 can also buy 3 $5 games, or a $5 and $10 game. I also think that $15 is a fair price for a quality downloadable title, but I'm not going to question what others are willing to pay for a game.

I can't speak to the game's length as I haven't finished it, and impressions are embargoed until Monday, but, personally, experience is more important than length.

Maybe they are being made fun of because they can't grasp the concept that we don't live in a consistent world.

The majority on message boards seem to be looking out for some sort of rules to apply to any situation across the board, it's friggin stupid.

If some game comes out for $15 and it's like 20 hours long all of a sudden it becomes the new paradigm for which ever $15 game that follows is judged by.

That is just lazy thinking, each case should be judged individually based on it's merits.

I won't go so far as to say there shouldn't be guidelines (especially if we are talking reviews vs opinions on message boards) but to try to apply strict rules to these types of situations is silly imo.

Draft

I've said this before, and maybe this makes me a traitor to gaming, but whatever: 6 hours is perfect. I'm a busy man. I've got lots of stuff going on, never mind that I buy way more games that I could ever, EVER hope to complete.

And I'm not even going to bring out the old chestnut of 6 magical hours versus 12 stretched out hours. I realize that 6 hours probably means 4 great and 2 so-so. Fine. Just as long as I can beat the damn game instead of shelving it 10 hours in because I've gotten bored or distracted.

dLMN8R

Orbitcube said:
The game is not just an hour or two long

dLMN8R

Shurs said:

There is plenty of sentiment in this thread that people care about price and length of the game more than they do quality. I would personally pay $20 for a game like Braid, which I finished in just a few hours, but you couldn't get me to pay even $5 for a crappy XBLA game even if it went on for 20+ hours.

You're absolutely right - it's basic consumerism. You're free to buy games that seem like a fair price to you, and perfectly free to not buy other games that you're not interested in and seem like an unfair price to pay.

I'm also perfectly free to make fun of people who make judgments and purchase decisions about a game solely based on price, without first considering the game's actual merits, and especially before any reviews or impressions from people who have actually beaten the game hit the web :lol

As the delightful image I've posted says - it's not about "X game is worth Y dollars", it's about "OMG DOWNLOAD GAME AUTOMATICALLY WORTH $10 WHY THE FUCK SHOULD I EVER PAY $15 FOR A DOWNLOAD GAME"

Shurs

dLMN8R said:
There is plenty of sentiment in this thread that people care about price and length of the game more than they do quality. I would personally pay $20 for a game like Braid, which I finished in just a few hours, but you couldn't get me to pay even $5 for a crappy XBLA game even if it went on for 20+ hours.

You're absolutely right - it's basic consumerism. You're free to buy games that seem like a fair price to you, and perfectly free to not buy other games that you're not interested in and seem like an unfair price to pay.

I'm also perfectly free to make fun of people who make judgments and purchase decisions about a game solely based on price, without first considering the game's actual merits, and especially before any reviews or impressions from people who have actually beaten the game hit the web :lol

As the delightful image I've posted says - it's not about "X game is worth Y dollars", it's about "OMG DOWNLOAD GAME AUTOMATICALLY WORTH $10 WHY THE FUCK SHOULD I EVER PAY $15 FOR A DOWNLOAD GAME"

You're free to do whatever you want, I guess. It just seems absurd to act like each person should make purchasing decisions based on the same criteria. If someone doesn't have much money to spend on games, is it wrong for them to look for value in game length, or buying 3 games for $30 instead of 2?

For the record, I don't subscribe to the idea that a downloadable game has to be $10 or less, and I'm certainly not saying that, to me, Limbo is worth less than $15. Having played the game, I think the price is appropriate. I'm just saying that I understand where people are coming from.

mujun

Shurs said:
I'm just saying that I understand where people are coming from.

It's probably just a matter of taking the time to make yourself a bit clearer than, "This game isn't worth ___ dollars."

For example. I personally would totally understand if someone was to say, "This game isn't worth ___ dollars because it looks repetitive."

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
mujun said:
It's probably just a matter of taking the time to make yourself a bit clearer than, "This game isn't worth ___ dollars."

For example. I personally would totally understand if someone was to say, "This game isn't worth ___ dollars because it looks repetitive."
I consider myself to be an extremely cheap gamer, so I know all about the psychological impact of relatively small price differences. There are hundreds of games out there all competing for your limited funds so every dollar counts. I just wish people would at least play the game before they decide if it's worth the asking price.

Dabanton

Why couldn't this be out today. :lol

I fiending for it. I watched the trailer that's on Live again earlier and the sound design is terrific.

Roll on next Wednesday.

Davedough

My leaderboard status says I'm 52% completed with it and I've logged probably 3.5 hours on the game. Now, I'm not the quickest to notice obvious things in puzzles so they sometimes take me longer. If thats any indication, then the 6 hour prediction seems about accurate.

FrankT

therealcliffyb Thus far "Limbo" is enthralling, perfectly challenging, and wonderfully atmospheric. If it stays this good or gets bettter I'll call it art.

Lucky few playing it right now. Can't wait for next week.

Ranger X

It's been a real long while I wanted to play this and it still looks as a awesome as ever. This is clearly a day one purchase for me.

Broman1978

Cliffy B really enjoy playing limbo...I´m so jealous =(

(Thru Twitter)

IYPje.jpg

9vW1I.jpg

Davedough

Achievements apparently aren't just progressive, which I like. You dont get an achievement for simply completing X part of the game, you actually have to work at it. For instance, one area has a rope that's out of place and completely away from the direction you obviously have to go. On any normal playthrough, you'd more than likely miss it and not think twice. But if you go over to it, it rattles a pipe and releases a little orb. Walk over it and you get that particular achievement. Cool stuff.

Zachack

mujun said:

Part of it is MS's fault for maintaining strict price points for years, and thereby causing the original abstract pricing system to become a non-abstract, tradition-locked price... grid. If MS wanted to avoid the (fairly ridiculous) issue of people looking at 1200 points and instantly blurting out NUH UH TOO MUCH then they should have allowed a variety of price points within the $5-15 range much earlier and eliminated at least one zero in order to make the direct dollar-point comparison harder to mentally calculate.

Davedough

Wizpig said:
Oh and, I don't get the 18+ Rating at all... especially if it's "Teen" in the US.

I'm guessing that the ragdoll physics of when you mess up and send the boy to his death is what the ESRB and other censorship boards are using to put such a high rating on it. I also think its too high, but there's not a PG-13 type rating on games, right? Although, Australia should feel good about the game because since there are no small breasts in it, they'll be able to see it in it's entirety.

Dabanton said:
I must say the premium theme for this on Live is very striking.
Yeah, it looks brilliant. I'd buy it in a second if it wasn't for the rumours of a new NXE which could potentially render it useless in a few months.

seady

dLMN8R said:
This game is truly amazing, and well worth the $15 price point.

Also:

I think the $15 criticism is because of the price hike. Going from $10 to $15 is like going from $50 to $75 for a retail game.

I also think the added price is decided (and absorbed) by Microsoft and not the Indie developer.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
seady said:
I think the $15 criticism is because of the price hike. Going from $10 to $15 is like going from $50 to $75 for a retail game.

I also think the added price is decided (and absorbed) by Microsoft and not the Indie developer.
No, it's like going from $10 to $15. $5 is what most people pay just for tax on a retail game.

The price point is suggested by MS but the dev/publisher has the final say. The cut is the same either way.

xbhaskarx

seady said:

The average new XBLA game is much bigger now than it was in 2005-6. Compare Deathspank (which is 1GB) to Geometry Wars 1... they should be the same price just because they're both XBLA games? That makes no sense.

Also, you don't think developers get any more money for a $15 game than a $10 game?? That is just false.

dLMN8R

seady said:

The "price hike" is because of an extremely huge, measurable increase in quality and development costs, not some arbitrary reason. People have every right in the world to make fun of people who ignore that quality and just focus on price.

Why the heck is $10 some magical price that all XBLA games are automatically worth, without first considering quality?

kylej

Banned
Draft said:
I've said this before, and maybe this makes me a traitor to gaming, but whatever: 6 hours is perfect. I'm a busy man. I've got lots of stuff going on, never mind that I buy way more games that I could ever, EVER hope to complete.

Couldn't agree with you more. I'd rather pay full price for a game that gives me a good 5 or 6 polished hours than a sprawling mess.

4000 points redeemed. Bring it, Limbo.

Hunahan

Banned
It all just comes down to where you are on the money/time ratio continuum.

In general:

Kids have lots of time and no money.

Adults have lots of money and no time.

This is one of life's most depressing, paradoxical truths.

Adam J.

This game reminds me a lot of the animated movie Fears of The Dark, which I will be watching Tuesday night in anticipation of Limbo's release. This will also be the first time I'm going out of my way to play a whole game with all the lights out, on my living room CRT television for optimal black levels :D

Parallax Scroll said:

I think I love you.

SapientWolf said:
No, it's like going from $10 to $15. $5 is what most people pay just for tax on a retail game.

The price point is suggested by MS but the dev/publisher has the final say. The cut is the same either way.

What is this "tax" you speak of?

I think STEAM has totally spoiled me.

Top Bottom