• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LIMBO |OT| What awaits at the edge of Hell?

I loved it. The art and music are exceptional, and it has such amazing atmosphere and ambiance. I really love the sense of inertia in the movement too.

I think it deserves to be mentioned in the same regard as Braid, but I still think Braid left more of an impact after completion.

Helmholtz

Rlan said:
I'll just say this: While Braid and limbo are very different games, in Braid where you had to solve the puzzles made me feel like a genius afterwards. Comparatively, Limbo makes me feel like an idiot for half of it, having to fall into death a lot, or not being able to complete a puzzle because a piece was left ages away.
Agreed. In my opinions the puzzles in Braid were much better and often more clever. That's not to say the ones in Limbo were bad though. I think it helps that Braid had an awesome time travel mechanic, where Limbo is basically just jumping/pushing/pulling.

Psy-Phi

Just finished it in about 4h, and I wasted about 40 minutes trying
to get something on a ceiling in a certain part.
Disappointed I didn't get an Achievement for it (it was the only reason I went after it). It's far too simple of a game, and unfortunately deaths often come from the school of cheap tactics and the absolute need for either luck or serendipity, instead of punishing you for doing it wrong.

The game looks very cool, and after completing it I can't help but feel that people are more impressed by it's artistic merits than it's game-play merits. Which is unfortunate when it comes to a game. Luckily it is short, so it doesn't wear out it's welcome.

I have to agree with Amir0x's points made throughout this thread. It's fun, but it's lacking in what I consider good game design. But it's rules and laws are consistent, and that is a good design choice. When people talk about this game in a year it will most likely be about it's aesthetics, minimalist design and "soundtrack" (I use the term very loosely).

I think it accomplished what it set out to do beautifully. I just would have liked to see a longer game, with a bit more of a presentation made regarding it's story. As indie games go, it's amazing.

Adam J.

Just completed the game and feel completely satisfied by the length and challenge (this is coming from someone who was too dumb to get halfway through Braid). The last 30 minutes really got to me; The foreboding oppressiveness made me feel like my soul was in a vice (in a good way). By the time I got to the end I was ready for this game to be over. Was also really surprised how cinematic the whole experience felt (at least for me). Fears of The Dark is one of my favorite movies, and Limbo feels like an interactive version of the film.

Really interested to see what Play Dead does next. Willing to bet it will be dark and ominous.

Bernbaum

Rlan said:
Just finished it -- I agree with Amirox for the most part.

I'll just say this: While Braid and limbo are very different games, in Braid where you had to solve the puzzles made me feel like a genius afterwards. Comparatively, Limbo makes me feel like an idiot for half of it, having to fall into death a lot, or not being able to complete a puzzle because a piece was left ages away.
Yup.

Majora

My two cents - overall I was a little disappointed with Limbo. I think my disappointment stems from the fact that the first third or so of the game has the perfect balance of puzzles and narrative/set-piece events. I would say that Limbo, for a while, gave me the type of feeling I get when I watch a David Lynch movie. The soundscape, visuals and events combining to unsettle me on some very primal level, often without me understanding exactly why I felt so uneasy. In that regard it was very clever and well-executed.

However, as I believe others have commented, that aspect of the game largely falls away after the first third to become a rather standard physics platform-puzzler about pulling levers, pushing crates and jumping over saws. It lacks the context and uniqueness of the earlier parts of the game, and I didn't feel that the puzzles themselves were really good enough to compensate. They were ok, but they never gave the level of satisfaction of Braids, for example.

As for the whole trial-and-error thing, I would have to say that I disagree with Amirox. While I was not totally in love with the game, it was pretty obvious to me that the game wanted, and even encouraged you, to die and that was where a lot of the black humour came from. I found the 'two blocks with switches underneath' moment to be very funny indeed for example and I can't help but think that Amirox's iron-clad, unshakeable belief that unavoidable death must be bad game design has prevented him from seeing the deliberate humour and purpose of this aspect of the game.

But Limbo is no sacred cow to me. If I were to arbitrarily compare it some other rather artsy puzzle-platformers on XBLA I would rank it significantly below Braid and a little below the Misadventures of P.B Winterbottom.

JesseZao

I finished the game a bit ago and I must say it was a unique experience worth having. I liked the front end with the creatures and other people more, but the later levvvvvvels were fun in a challenging way. I don't think I'm going to attempt the five lives playthrough anytime soon, but I really want to share the experience with other people and go exploring for the eggs now.

dLMN8R

I'm pretty far into the game, roughly 70%, and there's this collectible that's driving me nuts!

It's right after the laser-guided machineguns are introduced. You have to first use a magnet, flipping it on/off/on/off to make it kinda float out of the area it's housed in. But up in that area, way in the upper-left, is the collectible.

I have to imagine you reach it by flipping gravity, and then you need to drag the boxes over to the big ledge on the ceiling to finally get over and reach that way upper-left point.

The thing I can't quite do is stack the boxes, and keeping them stacked so I can jump on them. The moving platform to the right helps stack them, but then I can't climb them without knocking them over.

Is there something else entirely that I'm missing here? Some other technique? It's driving me nuts and I don't want to move on and beat the game until I get that thing!

Psy-Phi

dLMN8R said:
I'm pretty far into the game, roughly 70%, and there's this collectible that's driving me nuts!

It's right after the laser-guided machineguns are introduced. You have to first use a magnet, flipping it on/off/on/off to make it kinda float out of the area it's housed in. But up in that area, way in the upper-left, is the collectible.

I have to imagine you reach it by flipping gravity, and then you need to drag the boxes over to the big ledge on the ceiling to finally get over and reach that way upper-left point.

The thing I can't quite do is stack the boxes, and keeping them stacked so I can jump on them. The moving platform to the right helps stack them, but then I can't climb them without knocking them over.

Is there something else entirely that I'm missing here? Some other technique? It's driving me nuts and I don't want to move on and beat the game until I get that thing!
heh that's the exact thing I spent half an hour trying to get.
When you can flip gravity so you're on the ceiling gets both boxes near you have one over the flat ground above the switches, and he other over the ladder you used to get up to the switches.

Then flip the switch two or three times to get the box above the ladder to be nearer to the ground. This requires some urgent timing, because you want to push the box near you to the point that the one on he ladder will fall up to. Make sure to be on the right side of the boxes so you can push them.

Once stacked I had to be super careful pushing them because the box physics suck when stacked. Push slow, you'll get em there.

dLMN8R

Psy-Phi said:
heh that's the exact thing I spent half an hour trying to get.
When you can flip gravity so you're on the ceiling gets both boxes near you have one over the flat ground above the switches, and he other over the ladder you used to get up to the switches.

Then flip the switch two or three times to get the box above the ladder to be nearer to the ground. This requires some urgent timing, because you want to push the box near you to the point that the one on he ladder will fall up to. Make sure to be on the right side of the boxes so you can push them.

Once stacked I had to be super careful pushing them because the box physics suck when stacked. Push slow, you'll get em there.
Awesome! Thanks for that tip. I was trying to stack them near the ladder instead of the moving platform, but couldn't get it just right. With the platform, I'd also always end up with the boxes stacked, but me on the left. Obviously for the to work right, the boxes need to be stacked with me on the right...makes sense that you need to do so by the ladder in order to get it.

Rad-

For everyone who didn't like LIMBO's main run puzzles, please do check out the optional egg puzzles. Much harder and satisfying than anything Braid had. They are really well hidden and most of them require you to think outside of the box. In fact, they are so well hidden that nobody has yet to found them all.

Edit: Btw I'm talking about the hidden eggs, not the achievement eggs. Achievement eggs were quite simple.

Jex

Rlan said:

Very agreed.

Rad- said:
For everyone who didn't like LIMBO's main run puzzles, please do check out the optional egg puzzles. Much harder and satisfying than anything Braid had. They are really well hidden and most of them require you to think outside of the box. In fact, they are so well hidden that nobody has yet to found them all.

But finding the hidden eggs is part of the puzzle, yet you may not know where to even start looking. Some of the requirements are a bit obtuse. The
Hotel
one blew my mind, but it makes sense once you've seen it, but I wouldn't have figured it out it was there to start with.

Mind you, the Braid
stars
were like that too for the most part, but for them there was still a puzzle once you learned about them. For this game, finding them is the puzzle, but with no hint (that I'm aware of) of where to start looking.

chuckywang

Neo Member
Rad- said:

Edit: Btw I'm talking about the hidden eggs, not the achievement eggs. Achievement eggs were quite simple.

Have you gotten all 7 of Braid's stars? I can't imagine the hidden eggs being more difficult than that.

JesseZao

chuckywang said:
Have you gotten all 7 of Braid's stars? I can't imagine the hidden eggs being more difficult than that.
I refuse to wait an hour or w/e was needed to get a video game object, so I never went for the Braid stars.

chuckywang

Neo Member
Rad- said:
Braid stars weren't really there to test your mind but your patience. That's how I saw it at least.

I'd imagine that some of the hidden eggs, much like Braid stars, are virtually impossible to find unless you are a developer. I had to look them up the Braid stars online, but I still felt satisfaction in getting them since they are just SO HARD TO EXECUTE even knowing what you have to do. If you are very very good at the game, you can get them in just a few minutes. However, trial and error takes patience I agree.

Rlan said:

You just articulately stated my exact feelings. Bravo.

I don't have all the achievements yet but I'm working on it. And while I was tracking all the eggs (is it eggs?) I found one that doesn't reward the player with an achievement. It is located in chapter 21
at the top left corner where you use the gravity switch to get a crate, do get it you need to inverte the gravity and to use the creates stack on each other to go to the left

Did you find other eggs that are not linked to an achievement?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Yeah, people generally don't like feeling like idiots, I suppose.

Limbo easily beats Braid, for me because of art design and flow of the game. I like the nonstop momentum and ambiance of the world much better than the cutesy, stop and go world of Braid.

Both excellent games though, and both sorely needed for their time.

Broman1978

I personally LOVE the sound in the game!
In the beginning of the game up in the tree-tops... I sounds fucking amazing in my speakers (5.1 Home Cinema) when the wind is blowing thru the spruces :)<3

shibbs

Ok, I need help....

I stuck at the bit where minecart rolls down into a button that activates the power circuit above. How do I reach the far end?

shibbs said:
Ok, I need help....

I stuck at the bit where minecart rolls down into a button that activates the power circuit above. How do I reach the far end?

Get to the right of the mine cart and push to the left, giving it momentum. Then you'll hop onto the cart as it's rolling and hop up on the top ledge and bum rush the right side. If you've pushed the cart enough to the left and run fast enough you'll make it past the electrified rail to the right before the cart has a chance to run back downhill and hit the button.

shibbs said:
Ok, I need help....

The easiest way to do it consistently is
push the cart a little to the left, then get on top of it and push against the ledge to the right until the cart rolls back and you are almost falling off it. Then jump up and run.

bj00rn_

Banned
There's much to love in Limbo, nice "atmosphere", one of the best in its genre. Trial and death gameplay can be forgiven if it's not too constantly annoying. But I can't stand "off-screen puzzles", especially combined with precision timing, I ABSOLUTELY FUCKING HATE THAT. Overall I had a good experience though, I really enjoyed the game. I'd give it a rating of "900 MS points".

FrankT

Beat the game last night. Incredible experience. I would have to agree with the critics if Braid is the best of the downloaded titles this gen then Limbo is a close second. I know one thing the game took me far longer than 3-4 hours with some of these puzzles. The ending was a work of love and true to the core of the game. I will have to check out some of the theories out there on it. Like Braid I will have to collect all in this game as well. I saw death as pure brutal punishment and something to learn from,
but still in the end it left me by far in Limbo
. The way it should be.

I'm very afraid of spiders, so the spider in the demo fucking scared me. I want to buy it but it's giving me the spookeroos. not sure yet.

btw, game reminded me of the first time I played out of this world.. I know they're not really the same type of game on the whole, but it still made me feel the same way.

StAidan

I could only bring myself to play the demo. It just didn't pull me in and compel me to buy.

The game is crazy artsy and atmospheric, but I felt like that's all LIMBO had going for it. The puzzles weren't all that clever, nor was there much interesting in the gameplay... just run forward and find something to climb or drag around.

I don't know whether it gets better in the full game, but the first area there just couldn't convince me of the $15 price tag.

Banned
Shake Appeal said:
The easiest way to do it consistently is
push the cart a little to the left, then get on top of it and push against the ledge to the right until the cart rolls back and you are almost falling off it. Then jump up and run.

Great idea. Never thought of that.

Some of the puzzles were pretty stupidly designed, and the game often does a poor job of communicating to the player the things that are possible to interact with. And relying on sound cues for some of them...bad idea.

That said, I loved almost every minute of it. LIMBO, GoWIII and RDR are the only games so far this year to really blow me away technically.

And that ending. Pure class.

Amir0x

Banned
Rlan said:

Helmholtz said:
Agreed. In my opinions the puzzles in Braid were much better and often more clever. That's not to say the ones in Limbo were bad though. I think it helps that Braid had an awesome time travel mechanic, where Limbo is basically just jumping/pushing/pulling.
Psy-Phi said:
I have to agree with Amir0x's points made throughout this thread. It's fun, but it's lacking in what I consider good game design. But it's rules and laws are consistent, and that is a good design choice. When people talk about this game in a year it will most likely be about it's aesthetics, minimalist design and "soundtrack" (I use the term very loosely).
butter_stick said:
You just articulately stated my exact feelings. Bravo.

Ah there you guys are, I knew it wasn't just me and sp0rsk who felt this way!

LIBMO isn't a bad game. I mean, people keep thinking that I hate it but it's not a BAD game. It certainly not a $15 dollar game value, but I'd probably have paid maybe 800MS points for it and felt ok about it for the art direction and sound direction alone. The animation is superb.

Playing this game with the Silent Hill soundtracks on? AMAZING. Game is great and wonderful and amazingly fun and unique. Like a poster said some many pages back, there's very few games a year (maybe two) that challenge me the way this (and Portal and Braid) does. Well spent fifteen dollars fer sure.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I downloaded the demo and really loved the art style. I think it might be a little frustrating for me. I ran right into the bear trap without even seeing it :(

Zeliard

Y2Kev said:
I downloaded the demo and really loved the art style. I think it might be a little frustrating for me. I ran right into the bear trap without even seeing it :(

I think that probably happened to everyone. :p

FrankT

Shake Appeal said:
Ending discussion/spoilers:

Note: most of this implied in my review.

What seems clear: I agree that the boy and girl are both dead at the game's beginning. We are in Limbo, along the fringes of hell. We 'wake up' in the land of the dead estranged from our sister, and try and find our way back to her, crossing the Acheron as we do so. We suffer trials and punishments in Hell, and are eventually reunited with our sister. The main menu screen shows the scene of our death in the 'real' world, where the two children are replaced by the swarms of flies buzzing around their corpses.

What I would speculate: the trials and punishments we suffer are related to the moments, hours, perhaps even the day before death. Some people think that in the upper right of the menu screen you can see a car, and that the children must have died in a car crash. I disagree; I think it's a school bus (when the light moves, you can see it peeping through a row of windows). The siblings were on a school trip. They may have been staying at a hotel in a town or city, and they may have been visiting a factory. Their school bus crashed in the woods. The 'tribe' you meet in the later stages of the woods are the other children who died, and all of the events of the game are warped versions of the last day or so before death. Remember when they roll a flaming tire at you? Yeah.

And when you smash through the glass at the end of the last puzzle, you are reliving the moment just before death, when you smashed through the windshield.

Compelling interpretation of the game and very much the ending. I hadn't thought of that last point and it may very well be right on(which is mind-bending to think about).

Anyhow I'm now hooked to egg hunting just like those stars in Braid. :lol

Y2Kev said:

I knew it was there just by watching the GB quick look and I still did it. :lol

Finished the game and I agree somewhat with you guys. Oft times I would completely forget that an integral part of the puzzle was off screen and in some cases a good hearty walk away so that of course made me feel like an idiot. Actually most "hard puzzles" I came across was because this.

I could easily and quickly solve the puzzles if the pieces were close by. But I do agree with the other poster that they wanted you to die to add in a bit of dark humor. Often I would purposely fail at what I knew was a trap just to see the death animation.

With that said it isn't worth 15 dollars. It is good, and I do like it. I just wish it had more living things toward the end instead of mostly machinery. I'd give it an 8 only because the price is not right and its too short.

rhino4evr

Just finished. I enjoyed it, but compared to Braid puzzles were lacking. Also the ending didn't really "blow my mind" like the end of braid did. Ultimately I felt that Braid was worth the $15..Limbo was not quite on the same Value. I'm glad I played it, but I will probably forget about it in a few months. The puzzles weren't that memorable to me.

All the 10/10 scores the critics gave this is silly, it's like anytime a game comes out that doesn't involve space marines they declare it "art". Limbo wasn't THAT captivating to me in the slightest...Braid on the other hand....

rhino4evr

Oh and the Boy and His Blob without his blob isn't a bad comparison. For those folks that own a Wii and love this game, you owe it too yourself to pick up that little puzzle gem.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Okay, so I had never heard of this game until yesterday when I saw it in the games marketplace. The eerie shot with the all black and white did it for me: I had to get the trial.

I played it yesterday and holy fucking shit it was incredible. First arcade game I will be buying in a long ass time.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
I liked the puzzles and didn't think any of them were particularly cheap or unfair, but my main complaint with the game is
the way the atmosphere changes in the latter half of the game. As the setting becomes more and more like a factory with a bunch of gadgets and loud noises, it's just not creepy anymore. At that point it feels like a straight up puzzle platformer that just so happens to be drawn in silhouettes, and the lack of variety actually starts to hurt it. IMO the setting should never have gotten more modern than walking around in an abandoned town/city

rhino4evr

Zek said:
I liked the puzzles and didn't think any of them were particularly cheap or unfair, but my main complaint with the game is
the way the atmosphere changes in the latter half of the game. As the setting becomes more and more like a factory with a bunch of gadgets and loud noises, it's just not creepy anymore. At that point it feels like a straight up puzzle platformer that just so happens to be drawn in silhouettes, and the lack of variety actually starts to hurt it. IMO the setting should never have gotten more modern than walking around in an abandoned town/city

yeah a lot of people agree with you.

LiK

just finished it. really love the atmosphere. some of the puzzles are quite brutal but not super complicated like Braid. i kept fudging on the ones that required precise timing.

i agree that it ends abruptly but at least it was satisfying.

good stuff.

Zek said:
Yeah, this is very true. It stopped being all that interesting outside the puzzles, which aren't that hot anyway.

The first 30 minutes are by far the best.

Top Bottom