• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LIMBO |OT| What awaits at the edge of Hell?

Draft

afternoon delight said:
Playing this game with the Silent Hill soundtracks on? AMAZING. Game is great and wonderful and amazingly fun and unique. Like a poster said some many pages back, there's very few games a year (maybe two) that challenge me the way this (and Portal and Braid) does. Well spent fifteen dollars fer sure.
Limbo is the first game since the PS2 era Silent Hills to create an effective sense of dread with nothing but visual and audio. I'm not at all surprised that it syncs up nicely with the classic SH tunes.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Just finished it. I loved the gameplay and atmosphere, but the lack of story was really disappointing. I understand it's intentionally left open to interpretation, but I feel a little more could have gone a long way. I do agree with that school bus theory though, makes sense.

Also, this game really should have been $10. It was worth the playthrough, but I was really surprised when it ended so abruptly, wish it was longer.

Ermac said:
Just finished it. I loved the gameplay and atmosphere, but the lack of story was really disappointing.

Yes, the developers should have concentrated their limited resources tacking on lots of clumsy pointless narrative ruining the atmosphere of the game in the process and giving them less time to work out irrelevant stuff like controls and, you know, the game. Great call.

feel

Finished it, loved it. Would pay $60 for much longer version that is mostly in the vein of the first half, I loved that atmosphere, unpredictability and sense of wonder. The second half was still very enjoyable for me though, loved the puzzles.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Draft said:
Limbo is the first game since the PS2 era Silent Hills to create an effective sense of dread with nothing but visual and audio.
What do you mean? What else do video games have to use?

C-Jo

I finished it last night and while I liked most of what I played, I still can't shake the opinion that it was made by jerks.

To make the lazy comparison: At least when I was stumped in Braid, I had an idea of what the game wanted out of me. The times when I had difficulty with Limbo, I legitimately had no idea what is was that it wanted me to do. But I should add that I don't have much in the way of patience for what I perceive to be bad game design.

Finished it and then played through the first half again in about a quarter the time it took to play it the first time. Speed runs will be interesting to see.

Anyways, as much as I'd not want to say it, the game is overrated, to an extent. The first half of the game feels like twice the game the second half is. Allow me to explain.

The first half takes place in a forest, and the game's usage of 2D and 3D environments reign greatly here. For me, seeing
the spider's webbing in the cave
was totally awesome, as were
the broken forest canopy and drowned people segments
. Being chased a little bit through the game gave a bit more hectic nature, which added to the morbid and altogether frightening experience. It was great. The puzzles were integrated into the world perfectly, and there were plenty of moments that were subtle enough that the game did not have to tell you outright what mechanics the game provided such as
seeing the birds eat the brain worms before you first encounter them, as well as any dead bodies that show that death is nearby

The second half sort of dies out. The game's atmosphere falls back into oddly clean factory worlds, and even the puzzles start to lose their sheen:
gravity puzzles with physics engines? Wonderful
. I did like the intensity of
the rotating machinery segment and the HOTEL sign part
. However, by the last fourth or so of the game, it felt like a color-by-numbers platforming puzzler, and not necessarily the good kind. The last puzzle didn't even feel like the last puzzle, you know? The macabre world and dark, mysterious landscapes are replaced by sterile worlds.
Monsters are few and replaced by static machine guns by the end, and that's only so much. If there were more creatures chasing you or making a conceited effort to kill you, then maybe those parts would feel more redeemed

The ending, I felt, was good enough.
You found your sister. You and her are both dead, duh, being in LIMBO and all that. Perhaps this is paradise, now, and you've finally made it through the dark, bleak world to find happiness in family. Either way, it certainly fits the car crash theory that's around here. I find the story ends positively in that your goal is complete, and the afterlife finally begins.

Graphically the game is neat, and the music adds to the experience, that's for sure. But when all is said and done, the game is ~3 hours long, first time, and afterwards, unless you are an achievement whore, you probably won't play the game many times. The shortness does give it some "sit down and play some part of it" feel, but the length was DEFINITELY a concern of mine that really hit.

And finally, Amirox is someone I agree with in that the game hits that "trial-and-error" gameplay set up a bit much for a short game. I'd argue that I never really got stuck in the game's puzzles save two or three and for a little bit, even then. It was performing the actions necessary to solve the puzzles that was hard. Jumping was more like hopping, and for a platform puzzler where platforming segments become major near the end, that is detrimental. Even early on,
with the bear traps that swing at you or even the button-squashers
, I guarantee you that nobody has survived those, first try. It just seems impossible. If those moments were not as prevalent as they were, I'd let it slide, but after a while, the "puzzles" become more like "I missed it by .1 seconds, so I have to do it again...and again.." exercises.

I like LIMBO. I enjoyed the experience. The ending was quick and to the point, and the music and starting atmosphere was awesome. Shame it really isn't that MEATY for a six-years-in-development game.

If a sequel is announced, it better DAMN WELL BE LONGER for 1200 MS points.

Okay so that one bit where
there are two sets of doors connected to two sets of ropes that you have to pull to raise, is the only solution to just do the top one and get to the second rope as fast as you can?

HALP PLAESE

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
BenjaminBirdie said:
Okay so that one bit where
there are two sets of doors connected to two sets of ropes that you have to pull to raise, is the only solution to just do the top one and get to the second rope as fast as you can?

HALP PLAESE

On the bottom level to the left is a cart you can pull out and set under the gears that are directly under the first rope you pull on. Pull on rope 1, jump down onto cart and grab rope one again to keep that going, then swing over to rope two.
Nuff said

Am I the only one who was reminded of Little Big Planet? Seriously, if there was a "grab and pull yourself up" mechanic in LBP you could probably make an exact remake of this game.

Finished it and loved the art direction and general atmosphere. But like some here, the length of the game coupled with trial and error, makes it a difficult one to recommend at 1200 points.

The fact that I never got stuck for longer than maybe 5 minutes tops, made it feel like a bit of a simplistic stroll through an interesting/eerie place. But nothing gave me much satisfaction once I'd (pretty quicly) figured out what to do.

I'm glad I played it, but I do wish I hadn't creamed quite so many points on it.

Odrion

Banned
So the game isn't six hours long huh? More like three-ish? Shame, I can wait until this holiday or next summer for the sale.

Amir0x said:
No it's pretty much the number one rule of game design: a death should ALWAYS be the player's fault, never the game's.

If you disagree with this, then I'm pretty secure in my superior grasp of quality game design.

Hope you hold Resident Evil 4 to the same metric with its QTE press the wrong button in an instant or be dead design style.

Haunted

I also enjoyed the forest setting the most. Being chased by the spider was the best part of the game to me. The Another World certainly helped that. :D

The factory/city parts were also good, but not as good.

SiegfriedFM said:
Am I the only one who was reminded of Little Big Planet? Seriously, if there was a "grab and pull yourself up" mechanic in LBP you could probably make an exact remake of this game.
They're vaguely similar in that they're both physics-based platformers, I guess. But movement, jumping and inertia feel much, much better in Limbo.

besiktas1

I am stuck again :'(

Sorry if it's confusing it's hard to explain where I am. There are 2 gravity levers, one box, and a moving ledge that goes on to a ladder...

Davedough

besiktas1 said:
I am stuck again :'(

Sorry if it's confusing it's hard to explain where I am. There are 2 gravity levers, one box, and a moving ledge that goes on to a ladder...

There's actually a second box. Look on top of the elevator where the turret is trying to shoot you.

kylej

Banned
TheUnknownForce said:
The second half sort of dies out. The game's atmosphere falls back into oddly clean factory worlds, and even the puzzles start to lose their sheen:
gravity puzzles with physics engines? Wonderful
. I did like the intensity of
the rotating machinery segment and the HOTEL sign part
. However, by the last fourth or so of the game, it felt like a color-by-numbers platforming puzzler, and not necessarily the good kind.

The ending, I felt, was good enough.
You found your sister. You and her are both dead, duh, being in LIMBO and all that. Perhaps this is paradise, now, and you've finally made it through the dark, bleak world to find happiness in family. Either way, it certainly fits the car crash theory that's around here. I find the story ends positively in that your goal is complete, and the afterlife finally begins.

If you believe the
car crash
theory then you kind of need the second half of the game to be the way it is.

bon

I don't mind that it's short. The whole last part was pretty unsatisfying though, and the puzzles were easy. I died a lot but there were like 1000 checkpoints and no penalty, so whatever. Overall it's an okay game carried by style.

Amir0x

Banned
Warm Machine said:
Hope you hold Resident Evil 4 to the same metric with its QTE press the wrong button in an instant or be dead design style.

Buh!? The QTE is not trial-and-error. Anyone with any decent skill level and motor skills could easily hit the QTE in time if they're paying attention. There is no near guaranteed death without dumb luck like in LIMBO.

QTE is still shitty game design anyway, though. :lol

bon

RE: forced deaths

It's really not a big deal. If you want to be a design snob, Limbo has worse problems. Like I said in my above post, checkpoints are ALL OVER THE PLACE. You usually spawn right next to where you died, it just takes a couple seconds, and you have unlimited lives. Plus, it's not like this is some arcade style game where your high score is on the line. How much you die makes no difference. AND it only springs sudden traps on you a handfull of times through the game.

If you're still bothered by "unavoidable" deaths in Limbo despite all that, your problem may be solved by crying more. :lol

C-Jo

Of the problems I have with Limbo, cost vs. length is not one of them. People pay $15 for shitty 3D movies all the time, this is a much better use of that money for what still amounts to a longer experience.

Helmholtz

Amir0x said:
LIBMO isn't a bad game. I mean, people keep thinking that I hate it but it's not a BAD game. It certainly not a $15 dollar game value, but I'd probably have paid maybe 800MS points for it and felt ok about it for the art direction and sound direction alone. The animation is superb.
Ya, that's pretty much how I felt. The art design and animation is what I liked the most about the game, it's really a unique experience that I think a lot of people should see. The actual gameplay itself wasn't meaty enough or long enough for my liking though.
While after spending 1200 on Braid I felt the price was justified, I felt a little bit short changed with Limbo. I'm not going to bitch about a few dollars though, it was a good game.

GhaleonEB

I picked up Limbo today and played through it, after tinkering with the demo yesterday. I had never read up on it, or heard of it, before release - didn't even click on the thread - so my first encounter with the demo was interesting. Few games have had such an immediate impact. The designers did a great job by both eliminating UI elements entirely, and maintaining a single scrolling game world, with no discrete levels. The black and white, filtering and audio design all made for a really atmospheric introduction unlike any I've had since maybe the demo of Bioshock. It's masterful.

The designers did a great job of adding subtle touches that provide clues and context, such as how the player's hands reach forward when he's near something he can grab. Standing on a rotating gear and watching the character's weight shift very slowly and naturally was oddly mesmerizing; the animation is as perfect and nuanced as any I've run into.

That said, I wasn't entirely enamored. There's basically three gameplay styles to Limbo: puzzle solving, awkward platforming, and awkward platforming that require precise demonstrations of timing to solve puzzles. I enjoyed the first, which is what the early portion of the game consists of and is why I bought it - I was expecting more of the same. However, much of Limbo represents a type of gameplay I really, really hate: trial and error. My daughters and I decided the game should be called, "What Will Kill Me Next?"

In WWKMN?, you basically proceed from one cryptic setup to another, and await a swift demise so that you can know what to do next. Consequences are immediate, but fortunately so are (most of! some are very bad!) the save points. I was seldom tempted to turn it off in frustration because I was more often than not having to repeat just a few seconds of gameplay, never minutes.

As WWKMN? progressed, it introduced more and more requirements of precision platforming and timing over puzzle solving, and I was sad to see the mix tilt such. Near the end, the push and pull games with gravity were maddening: floating that box out of the nook it was in drove me positively bonkers. Worse, I was so relieved when I finally snagged it that I got careless and fell to my death, only to find I had to repeat the exercise; there was no save after retrieving the box. The final leap/puzzle in WWKMN? was a good illustration of the kind of gameplay I simply don't enjoy; I knew almost immediately what I needed to do, but it took a good 20+ attempts to do it. I can sort of understand why some would find that appealing, but I simply found that kind of stuff grating and endlessly frustrating.

Another side scrolling puzzle/platform game, Braid, was wonderful because of the lack of fail state, and because it laid a puzzle out in front of you to solve, and you could just tinker until it was solved. In WWKMN? you basically wander from one space to another and death lets you know what not to do; it's gameplay by process of elimination. With a few exceptions, the game does a very poor job of teaching you its rules so you can employ them intelligently later. It's much more about solving the particulars of the moment, and those are often discovered by throwing a switch and dying immediately after. I found that wore thin about halfway through and I honestly didn't care for the rest of the game, despite a light sprinkling of clever puzzles between awkward platforming and deathtraps.

I give the game very high marks for its approach and visual design, but the actual gameplay design evolved into something I didn't care for at all.

I wrote this up before reading the thread; I assume I'm in the vast minority here but I'm very interested in what the rest of GAF thought; I saw the stellar reviews in the OP.

Edit:
Mdk7 said:
1) the first part of the game,
the forest
is BY FAR the best. After that (and the astonishing, creepy encouters you make there...) the game in a way loses its charm, and gets less evocative
claviertekky said:
Everything up to the
industrial factory
was so so so so good. Then, it just became
annoying as fuck. It decided to take a shit on itself, and the difficulty wasn't hard. It was just it required lots of trial and error for the timings. It became one of those fuck this shit moments in a lot of Japanese games like Super Mario Galaxy 2. Hai hai hai. Obediently remember the timings and do them correctly.
Bernbaum said:
Just finished it.

It was an entertaining if somewhat unengaging and ultimately disappointing game.

Concerns over ‘trial and error’ gameplay are completely valid. Throughout the entire game, the puzzles or hazards introduced to the player are typically shown via the most extreme way- killing them. The game almost intentionally lacked the teaching style employed by puzzle-heavy action platformers like Braid and Portal- a respectable goal of the design team, but not necessarily one enjoyable by the player.

The physics and controls, for the most part worked well, but having a physics system (no matter how refined) is inherently flawed as it puts the player at the whim of an imprecise environment. You may have solved a puzzle in your mind, but think again asshole- you may have placed that box an inch in the wrong direction, or the rope you set up to swing a certain way may wobble just a little bit more than you’d like. A lot of puzzles were fun, but there were too moments of flimsiness where I felt unnecessarily punished.

I think the game lacked ‘A-ha, Eureka!’ moments of genius when each puzzle was solved- there just wasn’t the same sense of satisfaction after completing each scenario as there were in other puzzle platformers. That sentiment stems from my experience where I felt I had solved the puzzle, but had to wrestle with the game’s physics in order to actually implement it.

My initial impressions of the game were quite strong- the sheer violence was unsettling and the game hit just the right atmosphere it was aiming for. There were long sections in the beginning chapters where the player is traversing large sections of a level without any real gameplay- a nice way to introduce the environment, but one that will feel more linear and tiresome the next time I play it. The layout of levels and lighting worked well together to highlight areas of interest for the most part, but the ‘hidden threats’ that you don’t notice until you’ve stepped on and subsequently get killed by were just dumb.

Perhaps the developer sought to create a game that is more enjoyable on the second playthrough when the player is aware of all the hazards and understands the timing required for certain sequences in the game. If so, I’d imagine the well-crafted atmosphere and aesthetic would no longer carry the same impact as on the first playthrough, as I’d seen it all before. The straightforward linearity would be tiresome as there are simply no two ways about solving the entirety of the games puzzles.

Games like Braid and Portal had their moments of difficulty on the first play, but retained a level of genius that matured on subsequent playthroughs. Limbo lacks that genius, and is all the more disappointing for it because of the strong presentation and richly-realized world the developers have created.

Okay. It's not just me. I agree emphatically with the above, especially that last post; it's exactly how I feel about the game.
Amir0x said:
No it's pretty much the number one rule of game design: a death should ALWAYS be the player's fault, never the game's.
Amir0x said:
Only common sense rules. If it is the game's fault you are dying, then the player has the right to get frustrated and hate your game. Because you're causing something that is beyond their control. Game's are first about control. No matter the type of game, they all exert different levels of control over the player. LIMBO exerts an obscene amount of control over the player, and often abuses this control by intentionally misleading gamer's to unavoidable deaths. This is bad game design
Ayup, we see eye to eye on this game. I hoped the game would present me with a series of challenges, and when I fail, the reasons for failure would be apparent and I would course correct. But as often as not, I'd walk a forward along the predetermined path and meet instant death. Limbo teaches you what not to do by killing you, rather than presenting challenges to comprehend and then overcome. I think there is a lot of very poor game design here.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
This seemed like something I'd love, but it got a bit too arcadey at times.

Not... worth the money, maybe? I don't know, I don't regret buying it but it felt a little too much like a proof of concept or something.

I might be a totally asshole dummy guy at the moment. It just didn't hit me in that special way that indie games usually do that makes me feel like hiding my Apple products from all my friends for some reason.

Psy-Phi

shongololo said:
Yes, the developers should have concentrated their limited resources tacking on lots of clumsy pointless narrative ruining the atmosphere of the game in the process and giving them less time to work out irrelevant stuff like controls and, you know, the game. Great call.
I know! It's so hard to put text in a game right.

C'mon, they could have done something similar to Braid with a book you open. Obviously for this games world a book wouldn't work, but it wouldn't have been difficult to have a black screen with some white text on it narrating what was going on. Not in any great detail, but the simplest words can evoke a story and more emotion than can be wrought from silhouettes.

Heck when we assume at the end what happens some black screens with text, like in a silent film, would have worked magnificently. And we do assume what happens because nothing is told.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Rez said:
This seemed like something I'd love, but it got a bit too arcadey at times.

Not... worth the money, maybe? I don't know, I don't regret buying it but it felt a little too much like a proof of concept or something.

I might be a totally asshole dummy guy at the moment. It just didn't hit me in that special way that indie games usually do that makes me feel like hiding my Apple products from all my friends for some reason.

Yea I'm in the same boat. I didn't hate it, but after beating it tonight it just kind of left me feeling flat.

I enjoyed this. Obviously the artstyle & general atmosphere is the main draw, but the physics puzzly stuff is generally well done. My only real complaint is the physics engine adds a 'fuzziness' to what is otherwise a fairly precise platformer, which can be irritating. Yes it's trial-and-error, but that can be a valid design choice with such forgiving checkpointing.

Also, ambiguous endings FTW.

AniHawk

So, I played the demo, and I really liked the atmosphere. It's cool that they worked the art direction into the level design so well. But man, even in that demo (it ends at the giant spider), I could tell there was a lot of trial and error up ahead. Shit, I wasn't looking on the ground, trying to search out bear traps and suddenly, DEATH! However, once they were introduced, they were used cleverly at least once.

I can definitely see this appealing to the "games are art" crowd.

So I think I'll bite at 800 points. Yeah, it's $5, but I only have 800 points right now, and if I bought PB Winterbottom, I probably wouldn't buy another points card until Fez anyway.

PB Winterbottom on the other hand was a game that was actually a little frustrating because I wasn't sure if I was completing the levels the way they were meant to, but actually solving those puzzles was pretty fun, and despite my initial frustration, I could see myself coming back to it soon.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
wow, there's something about these little indie games that really inspire heaps of discussion here, ey? I mean, don't get me wrong, I love it. I just find it funny that when everyone starts talking about it, all I have to say is "it was... uh, not quite there for me?" whereas most of the time I'm the one typing the stupid long overly analytical posts.

I was like this with Flower, too. I go to type something and then I get selfconscious because i know whatever I'm about to say has already been typed a million times on a blog or something. :lol

Not since Super Metroid have I have felt so entirely alone in a video game. The atmosphere is second to none, and is the game's most impressive accomplishment. I can't wait to finish it today, though I certainly don't want it to end.

Finished this last night. Absolutely loved it. I thought the ending was great; I had goosebumps and could feel my hair standing up on the back of my head. Not even big budget games with high production values can induce that.

This game is so great at subtle horror and eeriness, and that feeling of dread that comes with it. Also the sound design was just outstanding.

Also, did anyone else catch Gabe's name during the credits? I wonder if this will be heading to Steam sometime.

FStop7

Banned
Started and finished it yesterday. The first 20 or 30 minutes are phenomenal. And then it slowly degrades from there. I read some of this thread before i played the game and I had concluded that amir0x was either crazy or trolling. After having played through the game I can't help but agree with some of his sentiments. Once the game progresses into the gravity puzzles it becomes cheap. I really hate puzzles that include multiple, mandatory deaths due to requiring perfect timing, even if you know exactly what to do. As a puzzle game there are a lot of fun moments in Limbo. But once it morphs into a platformer it falls apart. I would still recommend it to anyone who i'd think would appreciate the atmosphere, art direction, etc.

Draft

Y2Kev said:
What do you mean? What else do video games have to use?
The scenario. Most scary games work by putting the player in danger, and the fear comes from not wanting your guy to die. In Limbo there is no fear of death, so dread has to be established other ways. With this game it's just like you stare at the screen, there's no monsters or blood or whatever, just a kid in some weird place, and it's straight unsettling.

Anyway I just beat this sucker, and I am so pleased. The game's only letdown IMO is that none of the puzzles are Braid hard. I got stuck a few times, but nothing like the brain smashers in Braid.

This is exactly what I want from gaming. I am so stoked that DD services are making games like this possible. Laser focused and lovingly crafted. Nothing but game. Beautiful stuff.

If you are sleeping on Limbo because you've created some arbitrary system in your head that mandates x hours of game play for y dollars, you are a fucking clown.

Also, IMO, there's only one frustrating puzzle that breaks the otherwise wonderful "death as instruction" system:
Right after going across the trolley thing, there's a big ramp that you have to slide down. No matter how you jump off it, you die. And you come back to life before the trolley, and have to do that part of the puzzle over and over. It took me probably 20 tries to realize there was a gravity change button at the bottom of the ramp.

Zeliard

MyEpitomeCliché said:
Not since Super Metroid have I have felt so entirely alone in a video game. The atmosphere is second to none, and is the game's most impressive accomplishment. I can't wait to finish it today, though I certainly don't want it to end.

Great comparison. Both games nail a rare sense of existential loneliness. You feel like you're the only person in the entire universe in those games.

Psy-Phi

Zeliard said:
Great comparison. Both games nail a rare sense of existential loneliness. You feel like you're the only person in the entire universe in those games.
I love me some Super Metroid, but I never felt like either of you about it. Loneliness? Really? I felt like an action hero shooting the hell out of everything on the planet. A bounty hunter on a mission.

I don't feel about Limbo like some have replied either. Yes you're playing a kid running around alone, but there is absolutely no sense of dread, fear, or any other depressing feelings. Only the first time I encountered the spider did I think the game might begin to get scary. But after learning quite quickly that you can't die and lose progress that went out the window.

I kind of wish I had your empathy with videogames. I am an empathetic person with others, but not with any game I can think of. The most I get is afraid of my character dying (and it's not the death tiself that scares me but something like in RE where I know I'll have to play for an hour to get back there again).

Apoc29

I'm assuming it's because of years of video game experience that people have been conditioned to the idea that death is a bad thing and it should always be the player's fault. IMO, it's only bad when you get punished for it, ie. having to restart from somewhere far away. Thankfully, this game addresses that with the generous checkpoints.

Moreover, death is a learning experience and you can't really fault the game for teaching you. I mean, if YOU hadn't died, then the game would have to explain it some other way such as showing an NPC dying or some other such cutscene that demonstrates the danger at hand. In that case, what do you gain from this? It will probably "waste" the same amount time or more than if you had died yourself. Psychologically though, I can see how this would upset some people. It's a design paradigm that's not for everyone.

Zeliard

Psy-Phi said:
I love me some Super Metroid, but I never felt like either of you about it. Loneliness? Really? I felt like an action hero shooting the hell out of everything on the planet. A bounty hunter on a mission.

Shooting the hell out of everything while delving deep underground on an alien planet, where you are the only human, and it's otherwise entirely quiet and desolate minus you and the aliens. And while you are given a short story intro with Ripley in Super Metroid, much like in Limbo you end up just plopped down in a new world, where you have to explore and figure things out on your own.

The eerie, atmospheric sound design also plays a dominant part. Limbo is entirely quiet save for certain sound effects, while Super Metroid is similar except for the subtle, often-melancholy music that plays.

Hunahan

Banned
Rez said:
wow, there's something about these little indie games that really inspire heaps of discussion here, ey? I mean, don't get me wrong, I love it. I just find it funny that when everyone starts talking about it, all I have to say is "it was... uh, not quite there for me?" whereas most of the time I'm the one typing the stupid long overly analytical posts.

I was like this with Flower, too. I go to type something and then I get selfconscious because i know whatever I'm about to say has already been typed a million times on a blog or something. :lol
I don't get self conscious, necessarily, I just always find the conversation a bit too ridiculous to get involved with.

GAF seems to consistently go nuts over this stuff, so it's not really unexpected anymore. It's as if certain titles have some sort of hyper-weighted importance that I usually feel is disproportionate with the game's intrinsic value.

I know this is a generalization, but mood, setting, and developer credibility often seem to be more important than mechanics around here - and the conversations on indie games usually tilt too far in that direction for me to really feel that I'm talking the same language.

To be completely blunt and honest - there's a lot of folks wandering around the "hardcore" video games scene who really seem to want video games to be more than they are. Anything that scratches at the "art" barrier loosens their lips and whets their keystoke appetite. I know I'll get a thousand daggers in my back for suggesting it, but I often feel like it's just a way for people who spend way too much of their life on a leisure activity to justify that time expenditure in some way. They aren't just couch potatoes who play too many video games - they are observers and analysts of an emerging artform. I honestly think it's mostly just appreciation for the ego boost they receive when something chiming this wavelength passes across their newsfeed. We're prolonging the conversation in an effort to heighten it's relevance to the overall medium, regardless of the outcome.

Limbo wasn't a bad game necessarily, but I do think it was fairly forgettable. Decent enough for a few hours of entertainment. I don't regret playing it - but, honestly, I don't really think that it's worth dissecting either.

If I had played this game in a vacuum where there was no indication that it was conversation-worthy, I doubt I would have ever really mentioned it one way or the other.

It's the digital equivalent of Rubick's Cube.

The last time I looked at this thread there was someone posting abstract paintings and weaving some theory about how to compare Limbo to these canvases. It's this sort of thing that just makes me abesimpsonhat.gif the entire discussion, frankly. I just don't see the point.

The reason that the game's lack of an ending strikes as such a controversial point is simple. It's the definitive moment when the player is forced to realize that the game has nothing to say, has no deep or metaphorical purpose, and is ultimately nothing more than what it appears to be. It's the "as-art" conversation buster that can't be sidestepped no matter how hard you try.

At the end of the day, Limbo is a basic puzzle-platformer with a shadow-based artstyle and a ripped-from-the-movies soundtrack.

It's the same trick that glued us all to 20 rounds of Canonbalt a few years ago, only somehow this time, the community has deemed it worthy of an extended autopsy.

I realize I just busted the rule myself here, with a way-too-long post...but that's just the way it goes, I suppose.

/$.02

Scarecrow

need a tip, but not a solution. this is pretty late in the game, and is to get one of the bonus egg things (i think). I need to use gravity to manipulate a perfect square box. the egg thing is on the top left corner of an alcove, with a pipe leading to it. I can't reach the pipe on my own, and I cant get myself and the box over to where the pipe is without the reverse gravity being on. any tips?

Draft

Psy-Phi said:
2rf9187.png

JesseZao

Scarecrow said:
need a tip, but not a solution. this is pretty late in the game, and is to get one of the bonus egg things (i think). I need to use gravity to manipulate a perfect square box. the egg thing is on the top left corner of an alcove, with a pipe leading to it. I can't reach the pipe on my own, and I cant get myself and the box over to where the pipe is without the reverse gravity being on. any tips?

You can't solve that puzzle until you travel to the right and flip the gravity switch. Using that box and the other box found earlier, you stack them with the gravity switch then push them back to the left and climb them to walk over to the egg.
I wasted probably 20 minutes trying to ride the box to the ceiling and then hang on as it slid upwards to no avail. Got close one time though, but I always lost my grip.

Scarecrow

well, blast. I can't seem to stack them. it seems like I have to use luck to do so, but can't pull it off.

scratch that. I got it, but no achievement? mother fuck.

Draft said:
Also, IMO, there's only one frustrating puzzle that breaks the otherwise wonderful "death as instruction" system:
Right after going across the trolley thing, there's a big ramp that you have to slide down. No matter how you jump off it, you die. And you come back to life before the trolley, and have to do that part of the puzzle over and over. It took me probably 20 tries to realize there was a gravity change button at the bottom of the ramp.
Yeah, there's definitely a checkpoint missing there somehow. That is actual bad design, given what the developers intended.

Top Bottom