• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Limited Run Games |OT2| Sweet XOXO for Digital to Physical Media

Wereroku

Yeah, that's a nice middle finger to those of us who missed out.

They don't care about us. They are more worried about the scalpers at this point. Their whole business model hinges on the scalpers buying copies.

Would it make a difference if the bundles went up when things went live for people who did want both? They have sometimes bundled two games together like that.

There is only 3000 copies of the CE so any amount held behind a bundle is a significant amount. They did that to try to move copies of Lawbreakers that nobody wanted.

For people complaining about the queue thing:

https://limitedrungames.freshdesk.c...y-couldn-t-i-check-out-your-store-has-issues-

Why couldn't I check out? Your store has issues!
Modified on: Wed, 29 Mar, 2017 at 1:09 PM

When 20,000 people attempt to buy 5,000 copies of an item - there are very, very few ways to handle this and none of them are completely elegant. Our site handles inventory in the following way:

- When you've successfully initiated a checkout due to a Shopify update, you may still be greeted by a "sold out" message at any time, your cart contents are no longer reserved during checkout so as to more accurately reflect available inventory at all times.

- So long as items are available for purchase, the site will show inventory as existing because you do still, in fact, stand a chance to get it. While an item is showing as in stock, you can still add it to the cart because there is still a chance you can get the item.

- Nearly 25% of successful checkouts are abandoned and never successfully completed. If we actually removed items from inventory when checkout was initiated, the site would incorrectly reflect the status of 25% or more of the current inventory. Without the possibility of adding the item to the cart, people would immediately leave the site and never come back incorrectly believing that the game is sold out when it is not.

Our current system accurately reflects *sold* inventory and provides some glimmer of opportunity for people who have the item in their cart to get through when copies free up.

Some notes:

- We can not easily create a queue like Amazon or PAX use for their in-demand items. No e-commerce systems (BigCommerce, Volusion, Shopify, etc) support this functionality out of the box and developing it would be prohibitively expensive within our current budget. We're planning to make some great changes to our site in 2017, but it's unlikely a queue will be feasible unless we become flush with cash or miraculously discover a functioning Shopify app that provides the functionality in a clean and useful way.

- We can not reserve items in the cart and as much as you may think you want this, you don't. 25% of checkouts are abandoned but over 80% of carts are abandoned. Do you want an even more frustrating checkout experience? This would lead to it.

Please note that this exact same inventory control method is utilized by sites like Mondo, which also sell limited quantities of high-demand items. We're not copping out here and this is 100%, not a glitch. It is quite literally a case of demand far outstripping supply. When that happens, it's hard to not notice how our system is working and it may affect people who have never had to experience this before.

We want to provide a better experience for everyone, but inventory control is not a simple issue. The most recent update makes the process first-come, first served queue while circumventing the previous issue of abandoned checkouts.

As always, thank you for support and we hope you understand that we're not out to make the experience inconvenient for you! We care about our customers and want your experience to be pleasant.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
There is only 3000 copies of the CE so any amount held behind a bundle is a significant amount. They did that to try to move copies of Lawbreakers that nobody wanted.

Is it? Is it really? Did they really look at the page after a few minutes and go "oh, Lawbreakers might not sell out! Let's make a last minute bundle!"

EVERYTHING sells out from them sooner or later, it's not like they've made "emergency bundles" JUST to sell off stock that "no one wants". It's all just speculation.

LQX

And you can tell many are forcing themselves to buy the bundles as neither of the Lawbreakers standalones have yet sold out. A very dick move.

blazeuk

I managed to get the Wonder Boy CE but it was a bit of a mess today, they were slightly delayed going live compared to the timer and then bundles were added after that. For those who missed out at checkout, Shopify changed a while back so it doesn't hold any items when you go to the basket anymore, it's just a case of whoever is first making the payment gets it.

The bundles were made to price out scalpers and it worked. It was in stock for over 10 minutes.

We will make sure they are live on time for the next batch.

Lawbreakers not selling doesn't suprise me the slightest. New game, MP (only?) oriented, and 5000 copies.

Also a game like this get patches very often. The disk is pretty much useless after a while, when the game is not the same anymore than before.

What kind of International shipping do they use? Wife didn't have time to look at what she was paying for, no reading, just clicking yes, yes, yes! lol.

First time we've done a LRG order.

FWIW, an update to the Shopify client basically got rid of the reserved in cart feature.

Got my Wonder Boy CE, but I think it's pretty uncool of them to hold 500 copies of it for a game a lot of people don't seem to care about. I also wish they had made the standard one per person. Reversible cover be damned, it shouldn't be this hard to get a game. I know you can buy the PA version, but there's something about getting a North American release.

Dan-o

They don't care about us. They are more worried about the scalpers at this point. Their whole business model hinges on the scalpers buying copies.

I'm... not sure that makes any sense... but it's early, and I haven't had coffee. How does scalpers buying up all the product help LRG in any way? Just in terms of a "It sold out in X minutes!" sort of thing?

I'm not defending them; I think bundling the two games is absolute horse shit, they deserive to be called out for it, and I think the only reason they did it was to ensure extra sales of LB when they realized demand was lower than expected.
But I'm not sure how that correlates to them hinging their business model on relying on scalpers.

What kind of International shipping do they use? Wife didn't have time to look at what she was paying for, no reading, just clicking yes, yes, yes! lol.

First time we've done a LRG order.

They use a carrier called Asendia. It's really quite slow, so don't expect to see your order any time soon.

shuraiya

The bundles were made to price out scalpers and it worked. It was in stock for over 10 minutes.

Price them out, how exactly? By offering them copies of a game they will not be able to sell, because it's unappealing?

Curler

Unconfirmed Member

Hmmm but it only really works if people want both copies, is the thing. It is nice to have bundles for people who DO want both games, but not for people who want just the single game...

For in demand copies like this, the only way to beat them is just to print more copies. Even with an Asian copy available.

I bought one bundle myself but I'd still say this is a rather bad way to really upset your consumers and while it might slightly curb scaplers, its still going to happen.

Maybe you guys should let folks cancel lawbreakers if you really don't want it. Personally I could care less and it's just going to get sold or collect dust.

Price them out, how exactly? By offering them copies of a game they will not be able to sell, because it's unappealing?

A lot of people buying LRG releases do it to collect physical games. Not just because they like that individual game. That's who this protects, the actual collectors!

That doesn't exactly make sense. So you limit scalpers because they don't want Lawbreakers CE, but now people who wanted just Wonderboy CE now have to still pay a scalper price of double because they're forced to get Lawbreakers CE that they don't want either. This seems poorly thought out, and I think it shows since the bundles went up AFTER the game went live not before.

Wereroku

I'm... not sure that makes any sense... but it's early, and I haven't had coffee. How does scalpers buying up all the product help LRG in any way? Just in terms of a "It sold out in X minutes!" sort of thing?

I'm not defending them; I think bundling the two games is absolute horse shit, they deserive to be called out for it, and I think the only reason they did it was to ensure extra sales of LB when they realized demand was lower than expected.
But I'm not sure how that correlates to them hinging their business model on relying on scalpers.

It came straight from the horses mouth. People asked them to do preorders on highly sought after stuff like the Wonder boy ce and Ys ce and their answer was that they would be able to sell enough copies without the scalpers driving up demand. Their whole business model depends on scalpers being their for every limited release according to them.

Skulldead

People complain about the payment system, which it's true is has flaw, but i think one of the other massive problem this is how they totally under evaluate how much copy of the CE to produce for WonderBoy. I mean i bought on LGR since launch, this is the second time i got a sold out.

Semoreh

Or is it maybe... "risky business"? Because they could end up not selling as much of those bundles as they have hoped for, lose face because of it, and end up having to split the bundles again in hopes of at least selling out of Wonder Boy?

Also, could it be that you're not ever going to be anything but frustrated with whatever they do? In this case you don't even have to buy from them, as there is an Asian English language alternative.

I'm with you on this one. Rules of the game are clear, there's no need to be raging that much over a game that can be bought on Play-Asia for like $25 shipped.
Yes, they underestimated how many games they should produce, and overestimated Lawbreaker, but life goes on.

I forgot what day it was and slept in, checked the clock and it was 10:03

Managed to grab the bundle though. It worked out for me because I already kind of wanted the lawbreakers CE.

To be fair, I remember people in this thread asking for bundles of two games in the past to make it easier to order. Unfortunately, the first time they've decided to do it (assuming this is the first time) is with an unappealing MP game. I'm struggling to understand why LRG decided to release Lawbreakers at all, because there's no true way to "preserve" the game when the servers eventually go down. That's a different discussion for a different time though. I'm just happy they've released so many other great games I do want.

Weevilone

A lot of people buying LRG releases do it to collect physical games. Not just because they like that individual game. That's who this protects, the actual collectors!

Why do we need to collect physical copies of a game that relies on the servers and active community? There probably won't be anyone to play with in 3 months, let alone a year+. Why preserve this?

Clive

Feels like this'll happen again with Night Trap. Two copies per customer is normally fine but 5k copies will in that case not be enough for high profile releases. I hope LRG will limit to one per customer unless that 5k copies quantity can be increased.

I'm cool with missing Wonder Boy thanks to the Asian version but Night Trap doesn't have one.

People complain about the payment system, which it's true is has flaw, but i think one of the other massive problem this is how they totally under evaluate how much copy of the CE to produce for WonderBoy. I mean i bought on LGR since launch, this is the second time i got a sold out.

I expect the actual publisher decides upon the size of the print run. Anything larger than 5000 would be a nightmare to handle for a tiny operation like LRG though.

Occam

If you really wish to prevent scalping (and make more money), how about a subscription (that ~80% of your customers are asking for)?

Wereroku

I'm with you on this one. Rules of the game are clear, there's no need to be raging that much over a game that can be bought on Play-Asia for like $25 shipped.
Yes, they underestimated how many games they should produce, and overestimated Lawbreaker, but life goes on.

Lawbreakers isn't even a limited release.

If you really wish to prevent scalping (and make more money), how about a subscription (that ~80% of your customers are asking for)?

Can't do that it would anger their precious scalpers.

Why do we need to collect physical copies of a game that relies on the servers and active community? There probably won't be anyone to play with in 3 months, let alone a year+. Why preserve this?

They aren't asking you to. This is tailored towards people who collect games, not those who play them.

NR1

WHAT!?!? Now they have a bundle available! That was never there when I ordered both separately! I went ahead and ordered The combo pack, and they better cancel my lawbreakers only order. I was going to go get Wonderboy later this evening...

Someone want to explain to me again how they aren't leaving money on the table? Stuff sold out in 2-3 minutes and people are disappointed.

Oh that's right, it isn't acceptable for a business to take any risk, I remember.

Regardless, another frustrating LRG buying experience.
Agreed. I can't help but think the argument loses some credibility for bigger games like Wonder Boy and Night Trap. It's patently evident the interest is that much more then typical releases like Bard's Gold or Rive. Sure you have stuff like Oceanhorn which is a bit harder to anticipate but I feel like this is a classic example of underestimating your audience.

Can't wait to see the defence force for this.

Feels like this'll happen again with Night Trap. Two copies per customer is normally fine but 5k copies will in that case not be enough for high profile releases. I hope LRG will limit to one per customer unless that 5k copies quantity can be increased.

I'm cool with missing Wonder Boy thanks to the Asian version but Night Trap doesn't have one.

Ys Origin is my big concern.

Beartruck

Yeah if I miss out on the CE again later today (most likely), I'll buy the regular version elsewhere just as I did with DariusBurst.
Yup. Between this, darius, hyper light drifter, and skullgirls (which is 8 months late!), everything ive wanted to buy on this site has also been available on play asia, and play asia's copies aren't bought in 2 minutes by ravenous scalpers.

shuraiya

Their solution does nothing to address the issue of scalpers. We all know the games will sell out eventually and can be resold at a higher price. If anything, it makes scalping easier by neatly bundling both games.

Top Bottom