• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Limited Run Games Ships CD-R's and burns months with zero fix except a "trust me bro"

VGEsoterica

Maybe I am just in a spicy mood but I was one of the people who revealed just how crap Limited Run Games was with the collectors edition of D for 3DO by shipping consumer grade CD-R's vs replicated discs and then stating it was for "compatibility" because replicated discs couldn't be done...which is absolutely not true as 3DO games are just CDs with a different sector size which ANY replication house can press.

Only when pressed in the news did LRG actually acknowledge the "issue" (cheaping out for profit) and state they would issue refunds or disc replacements with replicated discs.

Then....silence. No contact, no updates, no timelines...I even emailed 10 days ago (from my non-channel name) and have not received a response.

So I decided to check with the last replication house I used for my film work....four discs, 1000 each, 2 weeks max from receipt of files to delivery of manufactured discs. So wtf has LRG done the last two months? A whole lot of nothing apparently.

Just straight up scammy activity...seems more like they are hoping to run the clock out than actually make right what should have been right in the first place.

Just felt like shaming today lol

anyone get the refund? I haven't heard from anyone yet that asked for $ back vs replacements

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
LRG is a shady, shit company. I’ve had to deal with them on a professional level, and without going into detail, they’re pretty terrible all around imo.

Dr. Claus

Banned
LRG is a shit company.

LRG sold censored games in the west to "Emulate the 80s/90s!", except the censorship present was never the kind of censorship of the era. They banned anyone criticizing this from their discord.

LRG listened to a well known and infamous pedophile who dug through their soon to be leaving community manager's tweets to find that she followed people they didn't like. They fired her and tried to ruin her career. They silenced any discsusion of this and shut down their reddit for months (and again, bans anyone who mentions this on Discord).

LRG is so shit with their customser service and quality control that they released games filled with DRM and demanded that you send in the cartridge, broken, with photos, to get a proper replacement. Many did this and many still did not get a proper fix and are now out of a game they purchased.

Fuck LRG. Do not buy from them.

Killer8

Other companies do what they do far better. I just pre-ordered the Japanese version of the upcoming Clock Tower: Rewind for around $47 from SUPERDELUXE and it looks beautiful compared to what LRG put out:

hbjdsOz.jpeg

LRG did just the game for $35 (with uglier box art), or an obscenely priced $125 edition with cheap junk you do not need. They never seem to be able to offer a middle ground.

Gojiira

Maybe I am just in a spicy mood but I was one of the people who revealed just how crap Limited Run Games was with the collectors edition of D for 3DO by shipping consumer grade CD-R's vs replicated discs and then stating it was for "compatibility" because replicated discs couldn't be done...which is absolutely not true as 3DO games are just CDs with a different sector size which ANY replication house can press.

Only when pressed in the news did LRG actually acknowledge the "issue" (cheaping out for profit) and state they would issue refunds or disc replacements with replicated discs.

Then....silence. No contact, no updates, no timelines...I even emailed 10 days ago (from my non-channel name) and have not received a response.

So I decided to check with the last replication house I used for my film work....four discs, 1000 each, 2 weeks max from receipt of files to delivery of manufactured discs. So wtf has LRG done the last two months? A whole lot of nothing apparently.

Just straight up scammy activity...seems more like they are hoping to run the clock out than actually make right what should have been right in the first place.

Just felt like shaming today lol

anyone get the refund? I haven't heard from anyone yet that asked for $ back vs replacements

LRG being cheap crap, failing to deliver, failing at basic support, in other news water is wet lol.
Seriously though why ever give LRG your money? They’re hilariously infamous and have been for literally years for their godawful products. Which is a shame because its such a great idea what they set out to do.

Porcile

I stopped supporting them after the Doom Classics mess. Had no idea my carts would basically become useless because of the Bethesda account integration and couldn't get a replacement because I missed their replacement window which they only announced in a blog post.

rkofan87

Gold Member
LRG is a shit company.

LRG sold censored games in the west to "Emulate the 80s/90s!", except the censorship present was never the kind of censorship of the era. They banned anyone criticizing this from their discord.

LRG listened to a well known and infamous pedophile who dug through their soon to be leaving community manager's tweets to find that she followed people they didn't like. They fired her and tried to ruin her career. They silenced any discsusion of this and shut down their reddit for months (and again, bans anyone who mentions this on Discord).

LRG is so shit with their customser service and quality control that they released games filled with DRM and demanded that you send in the cartridge, broken, with photos, to get a proper replacement. Many did this and many still did not get a proper fix and are now out of a game they purchased.

what games??

lmimmfn

I'm not standing up for LRG but everyone is just posting anecdotal comments without commenting on OPs actual issue???

simpatico

Gold Member
I have very little evidence that the people running this company are smart. They have a bit of a golden goose with their connections and they seem to be doing their best to squander it.

IAmRei

Sucks for anyone who wants to keep physical media alive.
How come? It is an option for many.

you can say suck to LRG, its awful anyway.
but if you say suck to all who likes physical based media, its not respecting other preferences : /

VGEsoterica

LRG being cheap crap, failing to deliver, failing at basic support, in other news water is wet lol.
Seriously though why ever give LRG your money? They’re hilariously infamous and have been for literally years for their godawful products. Which is a shame because its such a great idea what they set out to do.
For me I wanted to signal that both 3DO and the work of WARP / Kenji Eno deserved more support. And I got some CD-R's for it :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
Unfortunately, as much as I don't want to deal with them for a varied number of reasons, they're securing deals for physical releases of games that are dear to me. So I just can't pass on some of them. If I'm given a 2nd option, I'll of course go with the second one.

Ge Os

I "recently" got a game from Pix'n Love. A group of friends and I had the chance to work a little bit on a re-translation and I wanted to get a physical copy cause it's a game I love and means a lot to me.

When the producer told me LRG is responsible for the North America release, I made it very clear that they're just not good enough. He told me:

"Limited Run Games is a big entity I usually describe as the Mc Donald s of games produced in limited series
But the quality of their games is bad
But for some reason they sell like crazy"

So... I guess he had no choice.
I will still try to convince him to not go with them for any new projects, cause they will be more, I'm sure.
Those games and the people who love them deserve better.

Power Pro

What a damn fucking shame that they keep getting contracts from so many publishers.
That's the frustrating part. I don't want to support them, but so many damn games only get physical releases through them. Persona 4 Golden was something I just needed for my collection, and I hated that I had to get it from them. Plus we got Beyond Good & Evil only through them now -_-

Game publishers are such a joke these days. They exist to sell and distribute video games, but they can't even afford to spend their own resources to sell physical product anymore. Something is wrong with this picture. Especially when you see things like Doom Eternal or Pentiment only getting physical Switch releases through LRG. Oh yeah, right, the multi-billion and biggest corporation in the world, Microsoft can't afford to do physical releases on their own. Yeah sure.

Soodanim

I may have said it before, but it seems the controversy of firing that woman had the added effect of bringing their general poor business decisions to the forefront. It felt like the shittiness was flying under the radar until that happened.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
LRG is a shit company.

Thanks for saving me money.

I was going to buy their Jurassic Park Classic Collection on the Switch.

Now, no way. They sound far too shady for me to spend a penny on them.

Hudo

The only real experience I have with LRG is with the physical release of Command & Conquer Remastered Collection. And I found that to be pretty good. Maybe having EA behind their backs watching was enough for LRG to actually put some effort in? Who knows.

LRG is a shady, shit company. I’ve had to deal with them on a professional level, and without going into detail, they’re pretty terrible all around imo.
Go into detail as much as you are able! People should know what their money is going towards!

(Only if it doesn't get you in any trouble, obviously!)

StereoVsn

LRG is a shit company to be sure. Unfortunately they are getting exclusive physical contracts for a lot of games so sometimes there is no other choice if you want a physical copy.

I do keep an eye out for Asia specific or sometimes Japanese versions of games and get those through Play Asia or another vendor. These are normally not through LRG.

Another thing to keep an eye on is sometimes Amazon and Video Games Plus carry LRG games without having to order them direct.

That's the frustrating part. I don't want to support them, but so many damn games only get physical releases through them. Persona 4 Golden was something I just needed for my collection, and I hated that I had to get it from them. Plus we got Beyond Good & Evil only through them now -_-

Game publishers are such a joke these days. They exist to sell and distribute video games, but they can't even afford to spend their own resources to sell physical product anymore. Something is wrong with this picture. Especially when you see things like Doom Eternal or Pentiment only getting physical Switch releases through LRG. Oh yeah, right, the multi-billion and biggest corporation in the world, Microsoft can't afford to do physical releases on their own. Yeah sure.

In a world without LRG, there is no doubt in my mind that games like Persona 4 would get full retail distribution. It’s the type of release that’d launch at $40 and quickly drop to $20 and easily be available for 3+ years.

It’s ironic that a company that was initially built upon putting out physical releases that would otherwise never exist is now a deterrent for consumers to get their hands on physical releases.

Meh. I've purchased a ton from them. The biggest complaint I have is the wait times that are, at this point, expected.

Granted, my experiences are not universal, but I've never had a problem with a product of theirs that they didn't, via customer support, make good on.

A lot of people sling mud at LRG, but the reason they are successful is that, at the end of the day, they have great IP's and are, more often than not, very dependable. A few high profile mistakes and snafus are not reflective of the whole.

I dunno. For me, this isn't a hill worth dying on. As a fan of physical media, their releases and their influence on the market have been a huge net positive.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
another limited fun games release stop fucking buying their sheit.
collectors should just think about them as illegal copies.

Puscifer

LRG is a shit company.

WOAH what game was this? I don't buy from them simply because you end up with the games at Best Buy usually with better cover art and cheaper.

Bar81

Other companies do what they do far better. I just pre-ordered the Japanese version of the upcoming Clock Tower: Rewind for around $47 from SUPERDELUXE and it looks beautiful compared to what LRG put out:

hbjdsOz.jpeg

LRG did just the game for $35 (with uglier box art), or an obscenely priced $125 edition with cheap junk you do not need. They never seem to be able to offer a middle ground.\

lol, they're the same company. Japanese consumers just aren't as big of suckers as western ones so they have to offer actual value and a better product in Japan.

Top Bottom