• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet 3 |OT| #4TheLayers

I see the same happening, but from the stream so far the Story mode is a marked step up in level design.

i haven't seen much. just the beginning area. also i see one spot being this should be DLC lol.

just pointing out what reviews might say ;P don't take it serious

not wanting to spoil myself by watching streams, but how is the level design improved?

does it feel like a more fleshed out "game", with more interesting platforming / challenge?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
not wanting to spoil myself by watching streams, but how is the level design improved?

does it feel like a more fleshed out "game", with more interesting platforming / challenge?
There is a hub world, and the addition of equipables items and 4 different play styles allows a lot more variety in gameplay.

I'm not sure if from what I've seen call it difficult (the game doesn't apply pressure to the player even though you will probably still die a lot doing trial and error), but there seems to be a ton of different puzzles. The game seems fairly forgiving in terms of timing, but like I mentioned above, the meat is in more of the puzzle than having razor sharp reflexes, even though there are a lot of running segments which will probably take a lot of retries to get the no lives lost badge.

Vein

Banned
For me anyway, LBP is one of the few games I activate my 120Hz interpolation mode on low. 30FPS in the PS3 versions at least has tremendous amounts of judder when scrolling, just like games like Fat Princess. So much so that it prevents me from enjoying the game.

I almost never use interpolation, but on low it really makes LBP looks so much smoother and nicer despite the tiny bit of added input lag. Anyone else feel this way at all?

Possible they could have added some spiffy motion blur but I won't hold my breath.

There is a hub world, and the addition of equipables items and 4 different play styles allows a lot more variety in gameplay.

I'm not sure if from what I've seen call it difficult (the game doesn't apply pressure to the player even though you will probably still die a lot doing trial and error), but there seems to be a ton of different puzzles. The game seems fairly forgiving in terms of timing, but like I mentioned above, the meat is in more of the puzzle than having razor sharp reflexes, even though there are a lot of running segments which will probably take a lot of retries to get the no lives lost badge.

Nice to hear.

I suppose difficulty isn't a big factor, but diversity in mechanics / design is.

I enjoyed the LBP games but many times the core gameplay just didn't seem all that different, level to level. I realize it's a platformer at its core, but the best games in the genre manage to challenge your expectations constantly.

Hub world is interesting, had not even heard about that.

Vein

Banned
Nice to hear.

I suppose difficulty isn't a big factor, but diversity in mechanics / design is.

I enjoyed the LBP games but many times the core gameplay just didn't seem all that different, level to level. I realize it's a platformer at its core, but the best games in the genre manage to challenge your expectations constantly.

FWIW the user levels have all that difficulty people might be looking for. I do wish the campaign is a little bit more involving this time around.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Nice to hear.

I know what you mean. LBP1 and 2 seemed to rely on certain gimmicks/puzzles more than others and as a result a lot of the levels felt a bit samey. Honestly, they didn't grip me. But what I've seen thus far in LBP3 blows those out of the water, partially due to the hub worlds and the cutscenes/VAs.

LBP3 seemingly introduces new mechanics via equipables and new characters at a pretty steady pace across the story. So unlike its predecessors, you'll be gaining and using different mechanics continually, and presumably by the end having a host to pick and choose from Zelda-style. Hopefully the later levels are much harder.

I'm only a little ways into the campaign
space level
and I can already see that people are going to come up with some crazy shit for levels.

Kemal86

PSN is downloading so damn slow.

Getting like 200kb/s right now, 6 hours to go -_-

Typically get over 2mb/s at bare minimum.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Has there been any impressions / media hype about this?

Seems like it's completely been forgotten about

Damn, that good? Gonna have to look back through your other posts. How did you like LBP1/2?

I've always been a huge LBP fan. The art style is amazing, the level design is very unique and the community is great. I personally thought LBP2 was a big step up from LBP1 although it seems few share that opinion with me. The mini games were a ton of fun, the different variations on the gameplay were awesome, and the level editor improved in a massive way. This one so far is easily the best. The platforming is a lot tighter across the board, especially given the new characters. Toggle has a sort of DK/diddy dynamic to it, Oddsock is straight up platforming people are going to make some ridiculously awesome levels with him, swoop was a ton of fun with what little I've played of him, his swoop mechanic is surprisingly awesome, and of course the classic sack boy. On top of that you have far more layers adding whole new dynamics and depth to the game, new equipables and quests, allowing for a major variation on play style. All of this will be applicable in the

Same.

But in the back of my mind I keep seeing polygon 6.5.

Hoping that's not the case, but we'll see.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Heading out to pick up my copy in 15. Right now I've hit the tiny pre-release zero hype zone where I worry about the game not being as great as I imagined, but that'll change once it's in my hands.

Can't wait for UPS to deliver my Super Special Awesome Day One Edition that it automatically upgraded me to. So awesome that it cost nothing extra.

(At least it seemed to auto-upgrade me. Hope I didn't just get confused and assume that. Usually they email you about these things, but I got no email. Oh god now I'm scared. D:)

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Right? I mean, you can practically have every 4, 6, 8+ legged creature, and vehicle that ever existed and exists, created for Oddsock. Oddsock is going to make so much money lol.

Totally. It was smart of them to introduce these additional character types. Really opens up the possibilities.

But without a doubt, Oddsock's the GOAT... who can probably dress up as an actual goat!

Totally. It was smart of them to introduce these additional character types. Really opens up the possibilities.

But without a doubt, Oddsock's the GOAT... who can probably dress up as an actual goat!

Even better: Sackboy can ride Oddsock

This is the best hero/sidekick combination since Mario + Yoshi

#TeamSackSock
OddBoy 4 lyfe

So, is anyone bothering with the review thread or all you guys just playing lol

I really hope we get a LBP PS4 theme

It would be cool if they would make things like this free for preorder bonuses.... or better yet, just free lol.

WAT. Oh man, Oddsock bots as controllable mounts then?

Haha yep. There was this hilarious Oddsock race, where 4 Sackboys could mount Oddsocks and race. Pretty funny because it just is so goofy.

I wonder if you can simply just mount Oddsock players... that would be cool, sort of like how Swoop can pick up players. Make it happen, Sumo :p

In regards to reviews, I have this to say:

If the rest of the story mode is anything like the first few hours, this game would be an 8.5-9.0 easily on that mode alone. With everything else in here, I simply can't see this getting anything but great scores.

for those with slow speed. try restarting your ps4 or put it in rest mode. i was at 9.53/12.55GB but left it off for like 5 minutes and now it's complete. lolwut.

Anyone know when pre-order codes go live?

I am hoping for game launch (approx 15 mins) but my gut tells me Grace Chen time

What time is that usually?

50900-Ellen-Page-shrug-gif-Tb30.gif

What time is that usually?

idk tbh. i just wait until wednesday to do my business lol.

but last time i used to check it's around 12pm central to 6pm central at the latest. but with the major releases coming and all that. i wouldn't be surprised they are late to updating lots of their stuff until around 8pm central tomorrow.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Haha yep. There was this hilarious Oddsock race, where 4 Sackboys could mount Oddsocks and race. Pretty funny because it just is so goofy.

I wonder if you can simply just mount Oddsock players... that would be cool, sort of like how Swoop can pick up players. Make it happen, Sumo :p
That'd be too perfect. It needs to happen.

I was already laughing my ass off during bananafactory's stream when
he attached a cowboy doll to Oddsock's back

In regards to reviews, I have this to say:

If the rest of the story mode is anything like the first few hours, this game would be an 8.5-9.0 easily on that mode alone. With everything else in here, I simply can't see this getting anything but great scores.
Yeah, that's the scores I'm mostly predicting. "More of the same" will probably be the biggest criticism though.

Catalix

So reviews in 5 minutes?

Top Bottom