• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet 3 |OT| #4TheLayers

How do you guys plan out levels?

This is so daunting. I have a concept I want to execute but I'm not really sure how to go about designing puzzles (simple 2D level BTW).

I've never made one either, but I'm actually planning one out on paper first.

Simple 2D focusing on typical tropes: moving platforms, hidden areas, and quick reflex sections.

tch

Oh my god. The
yeti
level in book 2. Blew my mind. The level design is insane! I also can't wait to see some incredible machine levels with the popit powerup.

Tarsier really blew it out of the water with the create mode changes. So many little (and big) things are improved upon.

joecanada

I've never made one either, but I'm actually planning one out on paper first.

Simple 2D focusing on typical tropes: moving platforms, hidden areas, and quick reflex sections.

I would start with a basic mechanic that I liked and then built it up from segments... For instance I wanted something fast and I noticed glass on glass was like ice so I had a glass sled run which was quite fast.
Then I noticed another user had made a sort of trap laden section where when you passed by it blew up, so I combined the elements to make a one way sled death race... Then I added in some vehicles, climbs and floating as you had to get to the top somehow, a couple bosses who all had cheesy rhymes for speech/dialogue and then just added elements daily... You have to test it multiple times too as with explosions and stuff sometimes not every run works like 1/10 times the sled would get hit by the blast and hit sackboy and kill him....
More fun than playing the game to me. But a slight letdown because only say 50 ppl will try your level while a level just full of prizes will get 10 000 runs and 5 stars. As will any " batman" or "metal gear" level. So you gotta do it for yourself

This was on lbp2 btw

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Oh my god. The
yeti
level in book 2. Blew my mind. The level design is insane! I also can't wait to see some incredible machine levels with the popit powerup.

There was actually a great incredible machine level in the LittleBigPlanet 2 Move pack, but yeah, the pop-it powerup should open up options even further.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
From a design perspective, it appears the story missions are to introduce the new tools/weapons and the new characters. There are practically no barriers to completing these, except the 6-7 life limit on each level. Making the game appear short as you stumble through each level, respawning at a spot very close to where you die.

But the side quests, and stickering secret areas, both are more challenging and expect players to come back with objects they've found from other stages ... I'm assuming some of the challenges will be easier if you complete the game like the Angry Bear task if you have the
booster boots
?

We'll see though, as I'm assuming this without completing the side quests, if it still feels short I'll be a bit annoyed ... but I'm lucky as I haven't played user-made levels from 1 or 2.

i keep responding to this, because for some reason people just can't accept the idea that the game is ridiculously short. the other games also laid out things like switch triggers and expecting you to revisit levels on top of the mini games and side quests. all that aside its still VERY short, period. I played this just like I've played every other ones and it was incredibly short. Hell I'm almost done collecting and acing everything... it's not the way i played it, it's not the way it was designed, it's simply the length of the game. Unfortunately it was one of the shorter campaigns in recent memory from a game. That being said it has a ton of replay value with the community, the mini games, the create mode, etc. It's just a shame because as I've said before, even the best there is in terms of created levels don't quite have the same impact as a great dev level. It does take away from my overall score, but the game itself is so fantastic that I still give it close to a 9 or 10.

Also to speak to the glitches, I've now played a significant amount with both the patch and without. For the most part post-patch I've had no problems... that was until I played the final few levels on co-op. I found some really interesting "game breaking" glitches that I captured with share. One is doing the final level in co-op, it causes absolutely bizarre issues where if you change toggle he either goes invisible or he turns into a sackboy temporarily.

Teknoman

This is so daunting. I have a concept I want to execute but I'm not really sure how to go about designing puzzles (simple 2D level BTW).

Well it depends on the game type your a fan of imo first and foremost. I like 2D old school platformers, shooters, and action games, so most of my stuff will most likely feel like its something (or I hope they do) from the 8-bit to the early 32 bit era.

Then you've got whether or not you want to be a balance of enemy and area focused, or heavy leaning towards either.

Designing enemy concepts beforehand helps too.

iblqYNmtxr9IZY.jpg

That way you at least have something to go by, or know what direction you want to go so that you avoid creators block for the most part.

As far as level design...well i'd say go play or watch videos of games or real life locales/movies/whatever to take inspiration from.

I would start with a basic mechanic that I liked and then built it up from segments... For instance I wanted something fast and I noticed glass on glass was like ice so I had a glass sled run which was quite fast.
Then I noticed another user had made a sort of trap laden section where when you passed by it blew up, so I combined the elements to make a one way sled death race... Then I added in some vehicles, climbs and floating as you had to get to the top somehow, a couple bosses who all had cheesy rhymes for speech/dialogue and then just added elements daily... You have to test it multiple times too as with explosions and stuff sometimes not every run works like 1/10 times the sled would get hit by the blast and hit sackboy and kill him....
More fun than playing the game to me. But a slight letdown because only say 50 ppl will try your level while a level just full of prizes will get 10 000 runs and 5 stars. As will any " batman" or "metal gear" level. So you gotta do it for yourself

This was on lbp2 btw

You know you cant wait to play 3D world shark oddsock bomb survival challenge xtreme.

Idk I used to try to draw out ideas but that never worked for me. I've created a great amount of levels though and I never do physical planning... I just think of ideas in my head and put it out there.

If I want to make pure platformer, then I literally just find a set of materials that look great together and start wingin it. I've done a lot of great things from "wingin" but admittedly, most of the time I take that approach, that particular obstacle ends up being weak or just takes a longer time than it should have to make. Things go 2X smoother if you know exactly what you're doing. Not sure this helps you, but yeah.

Granted this is a huge summarization of the level design process, but the way it generally works over here is you first figure out your hook then build motifs that you would like to go into a level. Build anything and everything from enemies to puzzles to platforming sections whatever, but don't really try to put it all together yet and try your best not to commit to an art theme when building them initially. Test them out, see what fits the most in your theme, and most importantly, what's the most fun. Then you can string them together and throw the art in and go on from there.

TBF, everyone will have their own workflow that works best for them.

Oh my god. The
yeti

Tarsier really blew it out of the water with the create mode changes. So many little (and big) things are improved upon.
>__>

But yeah it was a pleasure having them on the LBP3 team. Great studio :)
You know you cant wait to play 3D world shark oddsock bomb survival challenge xtreme.
Fun fact, shark bomb survivals are the most searched for things in the community in LBP3. :p

TripOpt55

Played through the Prologue and the first book. I am super impressed with the Swamp world. I love the little hub-area. And the new power-ups and Oddsock are both excellent. I hope the rest of the campaign is this good! Love it so far.

Fucking crashed on me again. This time I was at Oddsock. Erased everything.

Everything.

I tried taking it back to Best Buy for a refund, but then I promptly forgot about the "no returns on opened items" policy in place. Hot damn. So I exchanged it for a new copy and tried again.

Four crashes, no save erase, but I'm shelving this game for a good long while if the save fucks up. I can't go through this again :(

tch

>__>

Whoops. Of course Sumo! That's what I get for playing so much lbp vita. My mistake! Awesome job all around!

Just asking again, for PS3 users has anyone found out how to access all of the tutorials?

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Whoops. Of course Sumo! That's what I get for playing so much lbp vita. My mistake! Awesome job all around!

Just asking again, for PS3 users has anyone found out how to access all of the tutorials?

You can go to LBP.me to view the tutorials.

Creaking

Fucking crashed on me again. This time I was at Oddsock. Erased everything.

Everything.

I tried taking it back to Best Buy for a refund, but then I promptly forgot about the "no returns on opened items" policy in place. Hot damn. So I exchanged it for a new copy and tried again.

Four crashes, no save erase, but I'm shelving this game for a good long while if the save fucks up. I can't go through this again :(

Dang, that's harsh. LBP games always seems to have rough launches with some really nasty bugs abound. Which version?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Granted this is a huge summarization of the level design process, but the way it generally works over here is you first figure out your hook then build motifs that you would like to go into a level. Build anything and everything from enemies to puzzles to platforming sections whatever, but don't really try to put it all together yet and try your best not to commit to an art theme when building them initially. Test them out, see what fits the most in your theme, and most importantly, what's the most fun. Then you can string them together and throw the art in and go on from there.

TBF, everyone will have their own workflow that works best for them.

>__>

Fun fact, shark bomb survivals are the most searched for things in the community in LBP3. :p

It makes your heart sink.

Hey guys I need some serious help.

I had some extra cash on my PSN account, so I went into the game's story to buy a few costumes. The transaction went through. However, and its showing a record of them having been bought in the in-game shop. However, they don't show up in the add-ons list for LBP3 with all the other pre-order costume content I got and I can't access them in the game either.

To make matters worse, when I click on the costumes in the shop now I get a message that says "Content Not Found". What gives? Did I just get screwed over here? What do I need to do to rectify this? Can someone please give me some advice? Has anyone had this happen to them? Who do I contact within Sony to resolve this matter?

Creaking

Hey guys I need some serious help.

I had some extra cash on my PSN account, so I went into the game's story to buy a few costumes. The transaction went through. However, and its showing a record of them having been bought in the in-game shop. However, they don't show up in the add-ons list for LBP3 with all the other pre-order costume content I got and I can't access them in the game either.

To make matters worse, when I click on the costumes in the shop now I get a message that says "Content Not Found". What gives? Did I just get screwed over here? What do I need to do to rectify this? Can someone please give me some advice? Has anyone had this happen to them? Who do I contact within Sony to resolve this matter?

DLC is kind of in limbo at the moment. They're working on getting everything compatible as soon as possible though. Don't worry, if you bought it, you'll be able to use it once it's available. I can't use a bunch of my old DLC at the moment either.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I played a random co-op game last night...It was not fun. I would much prefer to do that with GAFers. It was some little kid who was breathing heavily into his mic and his parents were there talking to him the entire time. Never again.

noomi

Thinking of picking this up for the story mode to have something to play coop with my wife (she likes these types of game).

Not really interested in building/creating though...

Do you guys think picking this up purely for coop story mode is worth it?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Thinking of picking this up for the story mode to have something to play coop with my wife (she likes these types of game).

Yes, as long as you also play the user created levels too. literally a lifetimes worth of fun.

lordxar

Absolutely! Friend of mine and I have been cooping the story here and there but mostly checking out user created stuff and it's a blast.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
So by the sounds of this thread the game is not broken like IGN continues to state even on their podcast? Yes they claim it is broken.

They clearly have an agenda for some reason. They constantly went on about Driveclub in the same way (let's not bring this conversation here). This game suffers from exactly the same teething problems every other LBP game has. I don't know why this one is suddenly getting scrutinised so heavily.

SerTapTap

So by the sounds of this thread the game is not broken like IGN continues to state even on their podcast? Yes they claim it is broken.

Since the popit problems I havent' had issues but I haven't played much (coughbindingofisaaccough), IIRC in their review they noted they played without a day 1 patch and weren't going to bother updating the score if it fixed it.

They clearly have an agenda for some reason. They constantly went on about Driveclub in the same way (let's not bring this conversation here). This game suffers from exactly the same teething problems every other LBP game has. I don't know why this one is suddenly getting scrutinised so heavily.

Yea if we are going to talk about broken the online component of previous LBPs was the laggiest thing I have ever seen. Love the series so glad to see more positive reviews coming in as of late

Edit: I do agree with the podcast beyond guys on one thing, that the game should ship with no need of a patch. However, they have to decide as an editorial team if they are going to review games with or without day one patches. They can't pick and choose.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Yea if we are going to talk about broken the online component of previous LBPs was the laggiest thing I have ever seen. Love the series so glad to see more positive reviews coming in as of late

Edit: I do agree with the podcast beyond guys on one thing, that the game should ship with no need of a patch. However, they have to decide as an editorial team if they are going to review games with or without day one patches. They can't pick and choose.

Generally, yes, I also agree that games should ship in good condition and should only need patches for minor issues, but LBP is an exception to that rule. Think about the problems with producing a LBP game. They have to code it in such a way that some bugs and glitches remain because those bugs and glitches get used by the community to create things like Theck/Thack, 3D cameras and 50 layers (to name a few). Everything has a knock on effect and requires constant recoding and balancing as more glitches are discovered and used. Think about how it must feel to have a fix ready but then realise the community has used that glitch and you have to then find a way of fixing it without fixing it ... lol

It's always been the case with LBP games.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'd be fine if IGN had an article or podcast discussion about how many releases recently have needed patching day 1 and even then still have problems. But it is affecting many games, they shouldn't be singling out any individual release

SerTapTap

Wow still 30fps. That's a shame to say the least.

They already said it's because of the PS3 version. It is supposed to be the same game, which is also why people asking for Vita versions are nuts. I'd have been much happier with a PS4-only release, but hopefully this will be Sony's last major cross-gen game so whatever.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Are the packs you can buy worth it? The Marvel, Nightmare Before Christmas, etc. stuff? Or maybe I should ask what they are?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Are the packs you can buy worth it? The Marvel, Nightmare Before Christmas, etc. stuff? Or maybe I should ask what they are?

WELL worth it. They give you lots of new materials, stickers, decorations, music, sound effects and backdrops and on top of that, they're fun to play. Some, like the NBC are simple though. They're designed just to get the content. But some, like the Muppet pack or Toy Story pack, are games in their own right. I have them all and I was only disappointed with the Marvel pack; although it still has some good stuff to create with.

lordxar

There's issues sure but their not remotely close to game breaking...that I've encountered anyway. I unlocked Toggle last night so I'm guessing I'm somewhere around halfway through the story assuming there's a level using all of them at some point. Fell through the map once on the Oddsock boss fight which was amusing, but clicked retry and finished the fight. Blue screened once or twice in coop. I don't take screen shots anyway so haven't hit that bug. Overall it's great fun. Sure the story could be longer but whatever. If we do get the levels from 1 and 2 for a decent price I'm buying them. Spent quite a bit of time checking out the user content both solo and coop.

BTW, we need more coop puzzles to solve. Searching the word coop brought two results, one being this awesome 2 player puzzle. Think I will try and search out "2 player" and see what that brings. Noticed that as a recurring combo in names last night.

If you are a creator, every pack is worth it for the new materials/objects. Some levels, such as the Nightmare Before Xmas, History, Incredibles, Monsters, are basically just single-level galleries for the new stuff. The MGS, Pirates, Marvel, Move, Muppets, Toy Story, and DC stuff on the other hand, all have ~5 story levels and some challenge levels.

The DC pack is probably the best piece of LBP DLC, followed closely by the Move pack. Though I played through it last night in LBP3 and quite a few things are broken because of the new changes.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

Well it is IGN. No one in the podcast has played the game but they have to all tow the company line (i.e. all agree with the published number). They also went on and on about Driveclub, but yet never played it. So they are all professional gamers who don't really play games. But hey, they produce dumb youtube videos now as they steer further away from gaming relevance and into low brow entertainment.

Kilau

Finished the story mode last night, very fun and great level design in a lot of areas.

I still have some quests to finish but it is a very short story compared to the previous games.

I also experienced my first major bug.

Final boss level spoiler:

At the start of the final boss when changing Toggle's size, his small size would be completely invisible, only the large version would show up. Made the first section pretty hard. I died many times but the issue never fixed itself.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Can't find anything in the store, is that because I'm signed in with a UK PSN an account and that isn't live yet? Wonder if that means I'll be able to buy UK DLC?

How do these MGS/pirates etc level packs work? You buy them from LBP3 or direct from the PSN store?

Teknoman

Well it is IGN. No one in the podcast has played the game but they have to all tow the company line (i.e. all agree with the published number). They also went on and on about Driveclub, but yet never played it. So they are all professional gamers who don't really play games. But hey, they produce dumb youtube videos now as they steer further away from gaming relevance and into low brow entertainment.

It sucks to see this happen...happened to TechTV/G4...and now it continues.

At any rate, I guess I should back up my level/adventure every time I do anything for now?

The Lamp

I make a tiny gameplay proof of concept. Like a working enemy or level design mechanic I think would be fun.

Then if it's worthy, I start thinking of scenarios that thing would be fun in and I start making them. Then I slowly connect everything and find overarching ways for everything to connect, like story and art direction, etc.

Deadstar

Crashed last night and lost progress up through that point. Guess I will have to wait for a patch before I keep playing. It didn't crash until I started in Swoops world.

QuasarJones

Neo Member
How do you delete items in the sub-missions where you have to build things? At the first one where you have to race the dude by building a car - is there a way to delete pieces (wheels, add-ons, etc), without deleting the entire vehicle? I feel like I've tried every button combination. There's also a big frame skip every time I do anything in that mode, which is frustrating.

Thanks!

How do you delete items in the sub-missions where you have to build things? At the first one where you have to race the dude by building a car - is there a way to delete pieces (wheels, add-ons, etc), without deleting the entire vehicle? I feel like I've tried every button combination. There's also a big frame skip every time I do anything in that mode, which is frustrating.

Thanks!

As far as I know you can't modify individual pieces you do have to delete the entire thing, but you can try using the popit cursor, I don't think I gave that a shot. I'm not sure if it's available in there or only create mode.

And what do you mean by frame skip? If you're talking about freezing/hitching in the popit menu that's a bug caused by trying to load your screenshots into the popit gallery. The more screenshots you have saved on your PS4 the worse the popit freezing will be

fernoca

A note:
While the saved data is over 500MB. The adventure mode data is only 15MB. So, you can upload that if you're worried and just in case.

A note:
While the saved data is over 500MB. The adventure mode data is only 15MB. So, you can upload that if you're worried and just in case.

I tried this when my profile got corrupted.

Your adventure mode data will save your level progress, but NONE of your collectibles/unlocks. So literally all it will do is say you've completed the levels, but they will all be 0% and you'll have no stickers/decorations etc. It's pretty useless.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
A note:

That's all that is uploaded for me as my online storage is full. LBP is 500MB, Driveclub 115MB - crazy. I bet you could store campaign progress and which prize bubbles you collected in a couple of blocks on a Ps2 memory card :p

SerTapTap

I tried this when my profile got corrupted.

Your adventure mode data will save your level progress, but NONE of your collectibles/unlocks. So literally all it will do is say you've completed the levels, but they will all be 0% and you'll have no stickers/decorations etc. It's pretty useless.

Urg. What is up with that save data. the 1GB data limit has absolutely never been a problem and suddenly we've got a 500 MB save data game. Not sure what to do with the save data for this game.

Urg. What is up with that save data. the 1GB data limit has absolutely never been a problem and suddenly we've got a 500 MB save data game. Not sure what to do with the save data for this game.

I've just plugged and left a USB stick in my PS4. Every night I copy my profile and game save to it as a backup.

Top Bottom