• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet 3 |OT| #4TheLayers

Yaaaay so I finally started the game today :D

and the first thing I've noticed is when I'm playing in the levels it's not full screen :\

why?

any option to change it to full screen all the time?

AndyD

aka andydumi
I wouldn't be surprised if in a few months (maybe a bit longer) this is a PS+ game (maybe replacing LBP Hub, which has yet to be released).

I am honestly not ready to pay $60 for this knowing the other versions made it to + relatively quickly and with the mixed reviews in terms of length of story with this one. I would rather pay $20 for a hub version and play community levels instead.

Zukkoyaki

I'm planning to pick this up soon!

Also in regards to sales, while disappointing, I wouldn't be concerned. LittleBigPlanet has always been a slow burner that goes on to sell at least a couple million when all is said and done. Plus I imagine it will be heavily bundled.

I'm planning to pick this up soon!

Also in regards to sales, while disappointing, I wouldn't be concerned. LittleBigPlanet has always been a slow burner that goes on to sell at least a couple million when all is said and done. Plus I imagine it will be heavily bundled.

Yeah I think the first and 2nd one only did 200-300k at launch and ended up selling over 8.5 million combined.

LBP3 should have legs.

NPD thread saying this game did 134k between both PS3 and PS4 versions... :(

when the developers priced this game higher than anything else on the ps4 and then released it the same time as gta5 and far cry 3 your asking for trouble.
That on top of a buggy short game is pushing your luck way to far.

I'm keen to pick this up when it's been patched and the price is normal for the short story campaign, but asking almost £50 is crazy in UK.

Ok I went in "Display Area Settings" and Enlarged it to the max and the game is better now but there's a little black pars up and down screen, is that normal?

Nope the game should look like any other game on your PS4, it should always utilize the full screen.

I'd suggest googling or checking the LBP forums to see if there's another solution

Nope the game should look like any other game on your PS4, it should always utilize the full screen.

I'd suggest googling or checking the LBP forums to see if there's another solution

I googled it and apparently it's a common issue... the PS3 version have the option to adjust the screen but the PS4 doesn't, I read somewhere they will add it with later updates.

How annoying..

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I know people hear this all the time, but if LBP was a 3D game and not a side scroller... it'd probably sell shit loads.

Let people make (good) Zelda clones. They will give you lots of money for it.

The 3D tracks people made in karting were seriously impressive.

pupcoffee

Not sure if the low sales actually impact the online environment in a bad way, assuming all of the die-hard, more talented creators still would have bought it.

It just released at a bad time in a crowded month for me, that i had to pass on release day. It missed the Target b2g1, no Black Friday sale, and no BestBuy $10 certificate. And then when bestbuy's B2g1 hit this week, I didn't have any other games to pair it with.

But alas, it's $40 next week at Bestbuy and with my GCU, it's a no brainer. I also know a couple of friends who going to purchase next week as well.

curb

Banned
Yeah. Sony was too busy advertising GTAV to give LBP3 the proper time of day.

I wonder how well the LBP/Batman bundle did. Anecdotal point incoming: for Christmas, my sister just bought her husband that bundle since she doesn't want GTA in their house. That bundle had to hit a certain demographic.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I wonder how well the LBP/Batman bundle did. Anecdotal point incoming: for Christmas, my sister just bought her husband that bundle since she doesn't want GTA in their house. That bundle had to hit a certain demographic.

I guess. Responsible parents, maybe? When I went to gamestop to pick up my copy of LBP3, there was this twelve year old there with his mom, getting Grand Theft Auto V.

Things are a little wiggy, aren't they?

curb

Banned
I guess. Responsible parents, maybe? When I went to gamestop to pick up my copy of LBP3, there was this twelve year old there with his mom, getting Grand Theft Auto V.

Things are a little wiggy, aren't they?

It's true that the minimum age for GTA seems to be dropping all the time but not all parents are irresponsible. I'm sure the number of GTA bundles far, far, far outweighs the number of LBP bundles though.

Creaking

It's true that the minimum age for GTA seems to be dropping all the time but not all parents are irresponsible. I'm sure the number of GTA bundles far, far, far outweighs the number of LBP bundles though.

Which is bizarre, given that the level of graphic content and the realism with which it's depicted is growing with each title. Wolfenstein 3D and Duke Nukem 3D were two of the first games I played when I was a kid, and even then I don't think GTAV is suitable for a less mature audience.

Yeah, no doubt. In any case, LBP3 has enough players for now. Hopefully it gets some good DLC or something else appealing, and more people pick it up. Shame about all the bugs, that's definitely not doing the game any favors.

curb

Banned
Which is bizarre, given that the level of graphic content and the realism with which it's depicted is growing with each title. Wolfenstein 3D and Duke Nukem 3D were two of the first games I played when I was a kid, and even then I don't think GTAV is suitable for a less mature audience.

I used to work in an after-school drop-in center and it drove me nuts when the 11 year olds would go around talking about how great GTAIII was. "It's so much fun. I killed a hooker and took her money". I asked the one kid how he got it and I expecting that an older brother or cousin hooked him up. He replied "My mom. She works a lot so she buys me whatever I want cause she feels guilty."

That's the day I lost all hope for the future.

tch

Ok so I bought the DC level pack now that it is finally back in the store. I played through it but STILL don't have the memorizer... I would greatly appreciate any help here I'd really love to finally have all of the tools available to create!

DedValve

Banned
3 things

1) How do I get past the prologue? I beat it and gained access to world 1 but never played a level. I hopped on the online community instead to check out some custom levels then quit. When I started this up again I have only the prologue world (all levels completed) but no way to move around. I even played the last level again (which was just a cutscene? Ok...) and nothing.

2) does the narrator EVER shut the fuck up? Jesus christ

3) any good levels or worlds (in game or custom) that make use of the ability to edit physics in this game?

Creaking

I'll send you the sackbot when I get home from work tonight. You did give me the base to get started :)

So I checked out your sackbot tonight. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to make much headway regarding any of your issues, though it was difficult to work with the bot itself because it's got some kind of restrictions on it's use (I can't change the logic without laying down my own, for instance).

In any case, the camera situation didn't work quite as I had expected, and you're right in that I couldn't make much sense of how your Sackbot's movement worked, only that it seemed like a very long and tedious endeavor. It reminds me of some of my old experimental objects from LBP2

So... I'm going to keep working on my own top down level concept, and toy with some control/camera setups in a more ground-up environment. If I figure out something that might be helpful to you, I'll be sure to say so.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I've just checked online with my PS3 for DLC I bought for LBP2 and it's now showing me that I haven't purchased those items there too. I'm not happy about this because as soon as the patch goes up on the 16th they'll be checking to see what DLC i've bought via my LBP2 purchases and it will register that I don't own what I've already bought.

I've been playing this with my son, got to the temple, have two of the three marbles. I only had one bug so far in a yeti top down level where I fell into lava and didn't die. This happened to my son once as well, but I could fortunately finish the level then anyway.

I really like the game, definitely the best so far. Being able to use that many more layers,and hence have much more distance between them, helps a lot. And the new options are quite impressive, some big steps forward should be possible in custom level design for sure, and the campaign is showing the new features off very well.

And yeah, one of my sons friends (who just turned 7!) got a PS3 with Call of Duty, GTA V and Read Dead Redemption. He showed me he likes to go into the titty bar and have 'the lady show him her ass' and he knocks down everyone who runs away from him. He shoots pets in the game as well. I am not making this up. I had to explain to him this made the other people in the game sador angry and the cops to come after him. Mind you I have a nuanced view of what is bad for kids at what age - they can actually be too young to be scared of something - but my son is six and he is thankfully really unsettled when someone dies in any semi-realistic game, or movie, seems healthy. I really notice that more than anything, these games need parental guidance, and the most damaging thing is just leaving them alone with such a gamefor hours on end without any checks or explanations. I've seen something similar with TV, where a young kid was really scared by the first half of Wall-E ... Where were all the people? What terrible thing had happened there? I noticed it after a little while, but also noticed that she kept watching even though she was clearly terrified. I sat down next to her and explained what was going on and why, and you could see her calm down considerably.

J-Spot

how buggy is the game now? have most of the kinks been ironed out?

They've cut down on crashes and some game breaking stuff but the game still lacks a lot of polish. These are my biggest issues.

- Sackboy continues to warp ahead randomly when moving quickly, especially when using the rails in Go Loco.
- Despite ostensibly being backwards compatible with older levels, accessing user levels from the old games is usually an exercise in frustration. Sackboy can still move into layers that should not exist and bounce pads don't always work properly. Sometimes objects that existed in previous games just flat out aren't there in this one.
- Pressing the more button when browsing the community levels often brings up the same levels over and over again.
- The game suffers from what should be an unacceptable amount of screen tearing in places. A game designed to be run on PS3 should perform significantly better on the PS4 than it does.

I haven't heard if any of the above are being addressed.

So I checked out your sackbot tonight. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to make much headway regarding any of your issues, though it was difficult to work with the bot itself because it's got some kind of restrictions on it's use (I can't change the logic without laying down my own, for instance).

In any case, the camera situation didn't work quite as I had expected, and you're right in that I couldn't make much sense of how your Sackbot's movement worked, only that it seemed like a very long and tedious endeavor. It reminds me of some of my old experimental objects from LBP2

So... I'm going to keep working on my own top down level concept, and toy with some control/camera setups in a more ground-up environment. If I figure out something that might be helpful to you, I'll be sure to say so.
Thanks for taking a look. I think I might have left the sharability setting to off, so maybe that's causing the restriction, although when you sent me the flying arrow I couldn't directly change or remove any of the logic, so I just copied it from scratch. I could try sending my sackbot again with sharing enabled, if that helps.

Presumably you looked at the 'Camera Zoom' microchip near centre of my sackbot's circuit board? It's the simplest section of logic that I use, with just 3 game cameras connected to a selector. You could easily copy that and hook it up to your flying arrow contraption. The cameras do switch smoothly when the sackbot that they're connected to is vertical, but at any other angle there's a jumpy rotation when the next camera is enabled - presumably when it tries to match my sackbot's local space from its default north facing position.

I've had an idea to keep all 3 cameras enabled at all times, which would mean they wouldn't default back to north when disabled, but everything I've tried with this method prevents the switching of cameras at all.

Also, in regards to the movement logic, the only reason why it's so complex is because I want my sackbot to retain it's animation rotation direction whenever the left analogue stick is released. I had to use a system of 20 batteries on a sequencer for this. The animation rotation is separate to the sackbot's physical rotation, which is always the same as the camera direction. The player will only see the character animation rotation while playing though.

They've cut down on crashes and some game breaking stuff but the game still lacks a lot of polish. These are my biggest issues.

- Sackboy continues to warp ahead randomly when moving quickly, especially when using the rails in Go Loco.
- Despite ostensibly being backwards compatible with older levels, accessing user levels from the old games is usually an exercise in frustration. Sackboy can still move into layers that should not exist and bounce pads don't always work properly. Sometimes objects that existed in previous games just flat out aren't there in this one.
- Pressing the more button when browsing the community levels often brings up the same levels over and over again.
- The game suffers from what should be an unacceptable amount of screen tearing in places. A game designed to be run on PS3 should perform significantly better on the PS4 than it does.

I haven't heard if any of the above are being addressed.
We're still looking at these issues and a fair share should be addressed in patch 1.04 which is coming soon.

I find this one particularly annoying.

Also quite often when I'm creating, if I turn off hover mode than my character is thrown to the right at a massive speed, nearly to the other side of the level. I haven't found a guaranteed way to duplicate it, but it seems to happen every few minutes now.

^ I can relay that one to the team as well, if we haven't caught that already.

Thanks, I'll see if I can get a video up later to help.

First time seeing that level and it looks legit amazing. Looks like a good balance of actual gameplay and pleasing aesthetics. I feel like the average non-campaign level is only attempting to achieve one or the other.

Thanks man! Gameplay like that in LBP has been a pet project of mine before I became a game dev for the franchise.

LBP1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl116DMrHBU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaspozsqnys

LBP2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNto7GrFhj4
And of course the Gundam Wing stuff.

I got rather close to my ideal visual look in Vita here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ0YOf0L1qo

It'll be nice to get it all realized in LBP3.

delSai

Still can't play Gustavos Race level.. The portal that should take me to the level is just gone. Is there a fix for it?

Hey donkey show, here is a video of the glitch I mentioned: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-qkH6pxkCg

I'm fairly certain now that the bug is related to using the controlinator in create mode. It usually happens after exiting the controlinator, then pressing down on the d-pad to come out of hover. You'll see in the video that I get thrown away 3 times.

I've been experiencing this a lot over the past few days while making a controllable sackbot. I like to test in create mode after making logic alterations, but I have to stop hovering then press triangle to get into the controlinator. If I don't press triangle fast enough then it's a long trip across the level.

Creaking

Thanks for taking a look. I think I might have left the sharability setting to off, so maybe that's causing the restriction, although when you sent me the flying arrow I couldn't directly change or remove and of the logic, so I just copied it from scratch. I could try sending my sackbot again with sharing enabled, if that helps.

Presumably you looked at the 'Camera Zoom' microchip near centre of my sackbot's circuit board? It's the simplest section of logic that I use, with just 3 game cameras connected to a selector. You could easily copy that and hook it up to your flying arrow contraption. The cameras do switch smoothly when the sackbot that they're connected to is vertical, but at any other angle there's a jumpy rotation when the next camera is enabled - presumably when it tries to match my sackbot's local space from its default north facing position.

I've had an idea to keep all 3 cameras enabled at all times, which would mean they wouldn't default back to north when disabled, but everything I've tried with this method prevents the switching of cameras at all.

Also, in regards to the movement logic, the only reason why it's so complex is because I want my sackbot to retain it's animation rotation direction whenever the left analogue stick is released. I had to use a system of 20 batteries on a sequencer for this. The animation rotation is separate to the sackbot's physical rotation, which is always the same as the camera direction. The player will only see the character animation while playing though.

Yeah. I was almost able to replicate your camera system to a close degree using a single camera, but then I ran into some issues. I think there's a way to do it using only two cameras, but I haven't gotten there yet, and I didn't feel like setting up a bunch of test microchips at the time.

As for your movement, if you were able to disconnect the camera from the sackbot (and I'm 90% sure you can, I just haven't put my correction method into place yet), then wouldn't it be simpler to use rotators? I was thinking a joystick rotator when the stick is being pushed, and then a gyroscope or rocket rotator when the stick is released.

Thanks man! Gameplay like that in LBP has been a pet project of mine before I became a game dev for the franchise.

LBP1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl116DMrHBU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaspozsqnys

LBP2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNto7GrFhj4
And of course the Gundam Wing stuff.

I got rather close to my ideal visual look in Vita here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ0YOf0L1qo

It'll be nice to get it all realized in LBP3.

Dang, you've got a knack for cool visuals and animations and whatnot. The sticker panel stuff you did in the last video reminds me of a TV screen I made a long time ago in an old version of my perpetually unfinished biggie top-down point n' click RPG LBP2 level, only done in a much smarter fashion.

Speaking of which, I'm uploading a video of that level (as it was when I last worked on it about a year ago) now. Can't touch it in create mode yet though, still need the Monsters kit to become compatible.

hodgy100

Hey donkey show, here is a video of the glitch I mentioned: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-qkH6pxkCg

I'm fairly certain now that the bug is related to using the controlinator in create mode. It usually happens after exiting the controlinator, then pressing down on the d-pad to come out of hover. You'll see in the video that I get thrown away 3 times.

I've been experiencing this a lot over the past few days while making a controllable sackbot. I like to test in create mode after making logic alterations, but I have to stop hovering then press triangle to get into the controlinator. If I don't press triangle fast enough then it's a long trip across the level.

This looks like because sackboy ends up within that bit of generated mesh
when he exits the controlinator. the physics system is probably going "nope you shouldn't be there" and applying a large force to him to move him out of the object.

As for your movement, if you were able to disconnect the camera from the sackbot (and I'm 90% sure you can, I just haven't put my correction method into place yet), then wouldn't it be simpler to use rotators? I was thinking a joystick rotator when the stick is being pushed, and then a gyroscope or rocket rotator when the stick is released.

Thanks for the tip, I might try experimenting with different rotators. I haven't really created since LBP1 so I'm gradually learning the tools as I go along.
This looks like because sackboy ends up within that bit of generated mesh
when he exits the controlinator. the physics system is probably going "nope you shouldn't be there" and applying a large force to him to move him out of the object.
Actually, that does make sense and after playing around, it occurs every time I come out of hover while inside a block. Still it would be much better if it just pushed you to a different layer instead of away at ludicrous speeds.

Top Bottom