• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Liz Wheeler: Men who play video games are 'least attractive to women'

Are you attractive?

• I have a girlfriend now.

Votes: 80 16.3%
  • I'm married.

Votes: 304 62.0%
  • No, she's right.

Votes: 60 12.2%
  • I'm the person that doesn't bath before a video game conference.

Votes: 46 9.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

poodaddy

Gold Member
Nah, its just straight NOT sexy to be like youre a gamer. Walking in on someone gaming... no.

Walking in on someone with shirt off and lifting weights?

Come on now! Yall delusional af in here xD
One of the things my wife and I bonded over was Resident Evil 4 and our mutual adoration for it. We're also gym rats, so I agree that training is a sexy habit, but she started falling for me far before she realized how much I lifted, and most of what we talked about was Resident Evil 4 and how she could teach me to beat the Mercenaries modes with all the characters and I could teach her to beat professional mode. See my earlier statement about us being married for 14 years in five days.

Yes, sure. And one of those traits is attractive. The other is not.

Again, yall delusional if you think being a gamer or playing games is in any way shape or form, an attractive quality.
Judging someone's attractiveness solely based on their hobbies is not only incredibly shallow, but it's also a woefully misinformed perspective. The true value of a person, whether in life or in relationships, and whether they're a male or female, goes far beyond what activities they enjoy. It's about the character, values, and depth they bring to those activities and to their interactions with others. Dismissing "gamers" as unattractive is especially misguided when you consider, as I stated earlier, that nearly 50% of "gamers" are women. It's not about the hobby itself. It's about the person behind the hobby and how they engage with their passions. Reducing someone's worth to a single interest misses the complexity and richness that make people truly attractive. Women judging men for their hobbies is something I would consider extremely unattractive, regardless of their outward appearance.

Humdinger

She's so silly. Men who are physically unattractive are least attractive to women (e.g., ugly and short). Second least attractive are men who are financially unappealing - broke, dim prospects, lack of career ambition/success, lack of interest/ability to provide resources to support a family. Third least attractive would be men who are socially unappealing - socially awkward, low confidence/charisma, poor social skills.

Playing videogames is waaaay down the list of criteria. It's funny how, half the time, women themselves don't even understand what they're attracted to. They tell themselves these stories...

To be sure, playing videogames isn't a plus, especially if you do it all the time and don't have much else going on, but it's usually the latter - excessive gaming, neglecting more important things, and not having anything else going on - that is the big problem, not playing videogames itself.

Last edited:
She's so silly. Men who are physically unattractive are least attractive to women (e.g., ugly and short). Second least attractive are men who are financially unappealing - broke, dim prospects, lack of career ambition/success, lack of interest in providing resources for a family. It's funny how, half the time, women themselves don't even understand what they're attracted to. They tell themselves these stories... Playing videogames is waaaay down the list of criteria.

To be sure, playing videogames isn't a plus, especially if you do it all the time and don't have much else going on, but it's usually the latter - excessive gaming, neglecting more important things, and not having anything else going on) that is the big problem, not playing videogames itself.
We should probably stop insulting people for their immutable characteristics.

Cre8

You want a shot at the champ? [NG gif winner July 23]
AQlUfQ9.jpeg

She's so silly. Men who are physically unattractive are least attractive to women (e.g., ugly and short). Second least attractive are men who are financially unappealing - broke, dim prospects, lack of career ambition/success, lack of interest/ability to provide resources to support a family. Third least attractive would be men who are socially unappealing - socially awkward, low confidence/charisma, poor social skills.

Playing videogames is waaaay down the list of criteria. It's funny how, half the time, women themselves don't even understand what they're attracted to. They tell themselves these stories...

To be sure, playing videogames isn't a plus, especially if you do it all the time and don't have much else going on, but it's usually the latter - excessive gaming, neglecting more important things, and not having anything else going on - that is the big problem, not playing videogames itself.
To be fair, the reason women NEVER mention the importance of physical attractiveness, is because men who are not attractive simply aren't considered human to them.

But yeah, that is how young boys get lied to. Getting told to "be yourself" and whatnot, when women never EVER admit that females consider attractiveness FIRST and everything else is just gravy. Even "gaming" is just a negative purely because it means less time is available to waste on female attention.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
To be fair, the reason women NEVER mention the importance of physical attractiveness, is because men who are not attractive simply aren't considered human to them.

But yeah, that is how young boys get lied to. Getting told to "be yourself" and whatnot, when women never EVER admit that females consider attractiveness FIRST and everything else is just gravy. Even "gaming" is just a negative purely because it means less time is available to waste on female attention.
Wow, this is the most incel shit I've read on GAF in a while

Wow, this is the most incel shit I've read on GAF in a while
Ah, classic "Your opinions are disregarded because I think you are lower than me in hierarchy" argument. Do you think saying what you said makes you somehow a victor? Do you obey those you consider higher up than you in the social score?

Go ahead and think what you want to think, that doesn't make you right.

Myths

The majority of any gaming/anime forum should be checking the last polling option. I don't know why this is so rampant among gamers/anime weebs, almost like people wanna be musty to conform to some sub culture.

Had to say it.

Last edited:

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief and Nosiest Dildo Archeologist
I usually tell my wife when she gets annoyed with me playing video games, Would you rather me play video games or play with other pussy.
I laughed at this so hard! :messenger_grinning_sweat:

You sir, are lying.

You know damn well you'd be sleeping on the couch if you ever said that.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm wise enough to know that there are billions of women on planet Earth, and that they don't all belong to some sort of hive-mind. Every woman has their own criteria in what they're looking for in a mate, and not every single one of them is only going to be fixated on a man's physical appearance. "Be yourself" is timeless dating advice for this very reason - you want to try and find a woman who shares your same goals, values, and interests, and acting like someone you're not isn't a good foundation for a long term healthy relationship. Guess what - there are tons of women that are into gaming. Or other nerdy things like Warhammer (as someone mentioned above), fantasy novels, Dungeons and Dragons, things like that.

Even "gaming" is just a negative purely because it means less time is available to waste on female attention.
The fact that you consider paying attention to a female as a waste of time tells me everything I need to know about why you're not successful in your dating endeavors. And guess what? Women can sense this type of hostility from a mile away.

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief and Nosiest Dildo Archeologist
I'm wise enough to know that there are billions of women on planet Earth, and that they don't all belong to some sort of hive-mind. Every woman has their own criteria in what they're looking for in a mate, and not every single one of them is only going to be fixated on a man's physical appearance. "Be yourself" is timeless dating advice for this very reason - you want to try and find a woman who shares your same goals, values, and interests, and acting like someone you're not isn't a good foundation for a long term healthy relationship. Guess what - there are tons of women that are into gaming. Or other nerdy things like Warhammer (as someone mentioned above), fantasy novels, Dungeons and Dragons, things like that.

The fact that you consider paying attention to a female as a waste of time tells me everything I need to know about why you're not successful in your dating endeavors. And guess what? Women can sense this type of hostility from a mile away.

msty.gif

Neolombax

My wife doesn't like video games, at all. But she's fine with my hobby. I can say the same thing about women who are addicted to social media. Its my personal red flag but that's what we call preferences. I dont talk about it online, or do polls. I just stay away from these types is all.

MikeM

Gold Member
Look at my avatar picture- you can be a gamer and be attractive. You know what is unattractive? Women shot up full of botox.

Last edited:

Bluecondor

While I completely agree with the overall messages of "who cares? just be yourself..." in this thread, as an older guy who has been single for most of my life, I actually agree with her that playing video games has probably had negative impacts on my attractiveness to women.

I can recall numerous times in my life when I chose staying home to play a video game over social situations that probably would have created opportunities for me to meet/hang out with interesting women.

In my longest relationship with a woman (3 years), I can recall several times when I chose to play video games rather than spend time with her on day-to-day things. And, before we broke up, I can admit that I would sometimes go and play games at my house for several hours instead of spending time with her.

To be fair, I can also look back and recall times in my life when I made similar choices playing sports (basketball in my 20s/30s and then softball when I got older) over situations in which I could have been meeting women or spending quality time with someone I was seeing/dating. I can even remember a time when I turned down a woman who invited me to go to watch a Major League Baseball game with her because I had a softball game that night.

It's actually an interesting part of life when you think about it. In hindsight, I probably would have been better off having never played video games in college or during my 20s, and instead spending all of that time doing activities in which I could have been meeting women. But, I have always loved games, and I really enjoyed playing those games, even during the "prime" of my social life in college/my 20s.

Barakov

It just depends how attractive you are. If you're Henry Cavill she'll just say you're a little nerdy and still swoon. If you're ugly, any hobby you do not benefitting her will make you uglier to her.
Wheeler definitely strikes me as the type of person who thinks her poop doesn't stink.

laynelane

People who frame their personal opinion in this way are annoying no matter the topic. She isn't speaking for women and it's frankly insulting that she thinks she can. The majority of my friends throughout my 50+ years have been women and I've never heard even one say that gaming is a turn-off. Some shared the hobby with their partners and the rest had hobbies of their own. To act like gaming is a bad thing is some seriously outdated thinking.

Last edited:

marquimvfs

It just depends how attractive you are. If you're Henry Cavill she'll just say you're a little nerdy and still swoon. If you're ugly, any hobby you do not benefitting her will make you uglier to her.
This, 100%. The "research" should be called "ugly-weirdo-ass man who plays video games is even less attractive to women". But that's true to almost every hobby, actually. If you're ugly, you gotta work on some mainstream abilities, like playing guitar or something, and then work on your appearance, if you want to go fishing above your league. If you're fine dating someone who's just like you, cool. Just be yourself.

Bernardougf

My wife doesn't like video games, at all. But she's fine with my hobby. I can say the same thing about women who are addicted to social media. Its my personal red flag but that's what we call preferences. I dont talk about it online, or do polls. I just stay away from these types is all.
Tik tok saved all gamers... whenever "gaming" gets in the way now its just "bitch you spend 10 hours a day swapping up in fucking tik tok to see someone you never met saying bullshit... fuck off"

Soodanim

What's interesting isn't the easily dismissable low level rage bait, it's the number of people in this thread that fell for it hook, line, and sinker.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yes, sure. And one of those traits is attractive. The other is not.

Again, yall delusional if you think being a gamer or playing games is in any way shape or form, an attractive quality.
Who dafuq has ever said that in here?

In this very topic you have people hiding their hobbies to score some pussy, people trolling woman for having terrible hobbies aswell and people having wifes or gf that enjoy vg aswell and people who just don't care.
I saw nobody saying that they consider themselves as chads BECAUSE they play videogame, except for clear jokes, nobody is THAT delusional in here.

At the very best it could be a quality if the girl is also a super nerd who play vg, in that case is just something that you can have in common.

Last edited:
Top Bottom