• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Liz Wheeler: Men who play video games are 'least attractive to women'

Are you attractive?

• I have a girlfriend now.

Votes: 80 16.3%
  • I'm married.

Votes: 304 62.0%
  • No, she's right.

Votes: 60 12.2%
  • I'm the person that doesn't bath before a video game conference.

Votes: 46 9.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Raven117

Tbh I've barely met any women who actually do have hobbies of their own, outside of gossiping and nattering with the girls that is.
This kind of drives me nuts. Hobbies mostly include watching Bravo and trash reality TV. Like...are you interested in ANYTHING else? I'm interested in lots of things. Video games being only a small portion of that.
"Come at me haha I'm right" with your post showing fake numbers.

What a gaslighting wench.
She basically admits its a joke and fake numbers, but then knows that this troll caught on and is milking it.
A lot of women just hate when men have hobbies and are happy.
LOL, they don't...but man...sometimes it feels that way.

Remember fellas, if you aren't taking care of yourself mentally, physically, spiritually and financially, then she's right.
Its not about her being right. This is what a man should be doing for himself.

The rest falls into place.

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

What year it is ?

hackerman GIF

Portugeezer

It's fine to think that, you should introduce games to your girl as a bonding experience and she might actually be into the hobby.

Also, if you make six+ figures and are 6+ft, suddenly your gaming hobby is attractive and she'll give you sloptop to splatoon all over as you splatoon some noobs.

Picked the last option, bathing just washes away the musk that’s gonna attract your mate. Pheromones are very real look it up.
Ball sack stank is the most potent of pheromones. You have to be responsible with it.

Last edited:
Why they think this, is because gaming takes away from their time with you. Well from a married person's perspective. Even if they were just going to watch some chick flick show, you being in a different room gaming means "no attention to her". It's how women's brains usually work, unfortunately. They don't think "well at least he isn't cheating, at least he is home safe, at least he isn't getting sloshed at the bar or a strip club.".

There is a way to make it work. It's called moderation, and ..... the fucking switch!

When its chick flick time, sit next to her and play on the damn switch. She won't complain as at least she is next to you. Save your gaming time for early mornings when she is still sleeping. I devote my entire Saturday and Sunday morning to console gaming, until she wakes up. I get an hour or two in during the week, and the rest is here and there on the switch.

Now all that is if you are already in a relationship. When you are not, and trying to score a babe, do not bring up gaming much. Maybe in passing and leave it there. She is right, women don't want to hear it. I know it sucks, but its true. As a married man in my 40s (been married 2x) and have had many many relationships and flings before that, I can tell you by experience. Make sure you present yourself as well rounded. Be yourself but don't bring up gaming or any hobby solely. Talk about something neutral that both sexes could enjoy. For me it was hiking and trails. Nature and animals. Show that you are a animal lover and listen. You will get some and be well on your way grasshopper.

Sidenote. Find a chick who has her own thing. Mine is into boardgames. Literally shelves and shelves and shelves of board games. So she gets new board games all the time. I don't ever say anything to her about it negatively, and guess what, since she has that hobby she doesn't say anything about my games collection or buying them, she even helps me find deals for used games... we go to retro stores together for this. She will only play old school 2d games, tetris and match 3, anything past gamecube she doesn't like. I got her a switch lite and she uses it for tetris, tetris99, tetris connected and pac man, lol.

Last edited:

Quantum253

Gold Member
Well, hell last time I checked, the most unattractive thing to a lady was being ugly....or poor. Who knew it was video games this whole time

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Married GAF winning, you love to see it

Also, I play puzzle/adventure/mystery games several times a week with the wife. Anything non-action with a story, characters, and peaceful exploration.

Why they think this, is because gaming takes away from their time with you. Well from a married person's perspective. Even if they were just going to watch some chick flick show, you being in a different room gaming means "no attention to her". It's how women's brains usually work, unfortunately. They don't think "well at least he isn't cheating, at least he is home safe, at least he isn't getting sloshed at the bar or a strip club.".

There is a way to make it work. It's called moderation, and ..... the fucking switch!

When its chick flick time, sit next to her and play on the damn switch. She won't complain as at least she is next to you. Save your gaming time for early mornings when she is still sleeping. I devote my entire Saturday and Sunday morning to console gaming, until she wakes up. I get an hour or two in during the week, and the rest is here and there on the switch.

Now all that is if you are already in a relationship. When you are not, and trying to score a babe, do not bring up gaming much. Maybe in passing and leave it there. She is right, women don't want to hear it. I know it sucks, but its true. As a married man in my 40s (been married 2x) and have had many many relationships and flings before that, I can tell you by experience. Make sure you present yourself as well rounded. Be yourself but don't bring up gaming or any hobby solely. Talk about something neutral that both sexes could enjoy. For me it was hiking and trails. Nature and animals. Show that you are a animal lover and listen. You will get some and be well on your way grasshopper.

No thanks. I’m perfectly comfortable being who I am. I like video games and tech. It’s a passion of mine. I’m not jumping through hoops to appease a female.

Ten bucks says if Henry Cavill talked to some chick about how he enjoys videos games she’d say it was “super cute” and that she’s always wanted to game herself but doesn’t know how.

You’re either attractive or you’re not.

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
Bimbo talking bullshit, news at 11

Edit: perhaps she envisions basement dwellers and not men.

Last edited:
A few years ago, I asked a question about partners with a gaming addiction, and around 30 friends and colleagues responded that they had ended a relationship (marriage, engagement, dating) because their partner became addicted to League of Legends.

Some guys lost their jobs, didn't finish their graduate studies, and would skip going out to parties with them because of the game addiction.

And guess what? Nowadays, they avoid men who declare themselves as gamers.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Hahaha I mean Im sure theres a lot of context around it.

If your life is a mess and youre a slob and you're playing video games, yeah its probably a turn off.

If youre able to be a provider and take care of yourself and her but you still like to game, she probably wont care.

Last edited:

Zacfoldor

Thinking about this, looking past physical attraction which will always trump stuff like hobbies, gaming is a hobby that is kinda like a siren's call to us lucky few.

At the risk of sounding slightly out of touch....imagining that women like attention from their mate and that gaming takes it away from them a lot more than say, collecting figurines or *checks notes* magic tricks...kinda tracks. Plausible.

...says a lot more about the hobby than about the man though. If gaming is a good enough hobby to make us think less about our evolutionary partner and children...throughout our entire lives...well I don't know about yall, but that must be one damn fine hobby we got here. Hell, I'd be jealous too.

Rockondevil

Isn't the tongue in cheek saying that women want a triple 6, at least 6 feet tall, at least a six figure income and a six pack abs.
I have that, just.
I'm literally on the edge of them all and I've had attention from one lady which I've now been with for 17 years. No attention from any other women in that time.

Sometimes ugly is just ugly.

Last edited:

poodaddy

Gold Member
I've been playing games since I was under 10 years old.

Will be celebrating 30 years of marriage in October.

So.....

go fuck yourself middle finger GIF by IFC
I've got my fourteen year anniversary coming up in five days, was married to someone else for three years before that and was in an exclusive relationship with someone else before that.

I don't know, gaming has never really hurt me in that department, or if it has I haven't noticed it.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Is it a switch exclusive or also on pc? Don’t see a Steam page.

Edit: wrong thread.

Last edited:

Lupin25

I guess this disregards all the people that learned video games from their parents… who are or were probably together.

Saying this to Gen Z/Alpha would be mind boggling, since video games are the leading form of entertainment for them.
Graphs like this just do humanity a disservice to the complexities of human nature.

Last edited:
Gaming is one of the things me and my wife bonded over. She has been playing since her dad bought her a PS2 as a kid.
PS2……. as a kid…… does not compute….

These days, there’s plenty of girl/women gamers, even if it’s shit like Fortnite, Big City Little Kitty, any narrative adventure driven game with some zesty characters.

If this was 1995, she might have a point.

nemiroff

Gold Member
But how do women even know that a guy they haven't met or have just met is playing videogames..? They usually don't because that's not what guys normally would advertise.

I think what she find unattractive is the stereotype of a guy who in her imagination is playing videogames whenever she's around.

Point is, again, she wouldn't even know until she had already swallowed the crush with hook, line and sinker. And at that stage it no longer really matter what she finds unattractive unless it interfers with a longer term relationship.

(Edit: didn't read/watch the story, just responding to the headline)

Last edited:
Top Bottom