• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Logan Review Thread - Go Fuck Yourself out of 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

guek

Banned
The non-stop TLOU comparisons are so grating for me because I'm like one of three people on gaf that thinks TLOU's story is overrated as fuck

kswiston

The Wolverine's post credit scene was a bit over two minutes. So maybe it's possible?

That still seems long.

Hopefully, if there is a post-credits scene, it justs flashes "1985" (or whatever year it's supposed to be) and then introduces the New Mutants film.

The non-stop TLOU comparisons are so grating for me because I'm like one of three people on gaf that thinks TLOU's story is overrated as fuck

I've never played the game, but I'm familiar-ish with the story, and the two characters.

There's almost no similarities outside of the fact it's an old bearded man and a young girl.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think it's the most violent superhero movie I've ever seen. Definitely the most violent in the X-Men series. Deadpool isn't fucking with this.

There's a couple times people basically just get turned into shredded beef. Like - completely shredded. Taco meat type-shit.

In your opinion - is the violence necessary or could they have achieved a similar result with a lower rating?

The post-credit scene is just going to be three minutes of Logan, Professor X and the ghost of James Marsden singing "Row, Row, Row Your Boat" around a campfire. And William Shatner will also be there for some reason.

guek

Banned
I've never played the game, but I'm familiar-ish with the story, and the two characters.

There's almost no similarities outside of the fact it's an old bearded man and a young girl.
I figured as much, which makes the joke even more grating 😣

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
What are the chances Logan joins the elite and ends up with a 90+ rottentomatoes score???

- Like I said, Laura's more of a Maguffin. She's pretty badass and has her moments as a character, but that's about it. People who keep expecting a TLOU/Road father-child dynamic should temper the expectations. It's got the DNA but it does not deliver in the same way whatsoever.

That's disappointing, I've always loved Wolverine as a father figure and Laura was my most anticipated element of the film.

kswiston

I really liked the Last of Us, but its story is a mashup of well treaded themes and plot points.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I've never played the game.

q33MIXd.gif

I really liked the Last of Us, but it's story is a mashup of well treaded themes and plot points.

I think what makes The Last of Us so good is the storytelling / pacing / voice acting. Not the plot itself. As you mentioned its pretty bog standard. What separates it is how incredibly well paced the game is, and how damn good the voice acting is.

In your opinion - is the violence necessary or could they have achieved a similar result with a lower rating?

They maybe coulda gone less violent, but even in this case, less violent is probably still an R. It's thematically appropriate, especially for the story they're telling. It never feels particularly egregious, even as you're wincing at it.

edit: regarding my missing out on Last of Us: I'm a Nintendo/PC guy! I haven't owned a Sony Console since like 2008. Never played Journey, either. Or Uncharted, obviously.

Sony exclusives just *wind whistling noise* passing me by.

kswiston

I think what makes The Last of Us so good is the storytelling / pacing / voice acting. Not the plot itself. As you mentioned its pretty bog standard. What separates it is how incredibly well paced the game is, and how damn good the voice acting is.

Pretty much my take as well.

What are the chances Logan joins the elite and ends up with a 90+ rottentomatoes score???

Pretty good, I would say. It's still at 97% after 35 reviews. I am more impressed at the 8.2 review average it had last time I looked. Assuming that holds up, when was the last time a superhero film broke an 8/10 review average on RT? 2012?

Arkeband

Banned
Pretty much my take as well.

Pretty good, I would say. It's still at 97% after 35 reviews. I am more impressed at the 8.2 review average it had last time I looked. Assuming that holds up, when was the last time a superhero film broke an 8/10 review average on RT? 2012?

Deadpool?

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
They maybe coulda gone less violent, but even in this case, less violent is probably still an R. It's thematically appropriate, especially for the story they're telling. It never feels particularly egregious, even as you're wincing at it.

edit: regarding my missing out on Last of Us: I'm a Nintendo/PC guy! I haven't owned a Sony Console since like 2008. Never played Journey, either. Or Uncharted, obviously.

But that means you haven't played RDR you uncivilized swine!

That's disappointing, I've always loved Wolverine as a father figure and Laura was my most anticipated element of the film.

What irked me more was that the movie itself even assumed it was doing better than it thought was in regards to that.

kswiston

You play your fighting games on PC?

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Deadpool was 6.9/10

Days of Future Past was 7.5/10

EDIT: Avengers was the highest of the MCU films at an even 8/10 I believe. The rest of the films people put in the top 5 from them were in the mid-high 7s.

Makes sense, Deadpool wasn't very good imo and DOFP and Marvel's top films (Guardians, Civil War etc.) reviewed way better.

Fury Road and Arrival are two of the best films of the past 10 years so Logan reviewing similarly well is exciting.

Unless a bunch of bad reviews drop all at once to lower the RT score...

v7DgWJn.gif

The Dark Knight was a 8.6 and TDKR/Avengers were 8.0. so yes, 2012.

I checked, but I might have missed a movie.

Delio

Now some minor spoiler deets

- In terms of the timeline
there's two ways you could see it. 1.) It's basically a Frankensteined timeline of X1, X2, and The Wolverine -- whether DoFP happens or not is never really adressed. Then again 2.) DoFP could still have happened and like Roberts said earlier, the same past events in the films could still happen but we just have to assume they did so differently.
Either way, some past references include
Charles talking about the events of the first X-Men film and Yukio's blade (or his?) hanging around Logan's room.

- The yellow costume is
dead. bury it. consider this your last warning.

That timeline talk is interesting. Since
I thought that timeline was pretty much gone now? Or atleast changed a ton thanks to DoFP. Im fine with standalones but they have to settle on the damn timeline.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
That timeline talk is interesting. Since
I thought that timeline was pretty much gone now? Or atleast changed a ton thanks to DoFP. Im fine with standalones but they have to settle on the damn timeline.

It's definitely not detrimental to the film's quality whatsoever. It could have benefited from it, but it stands well enough alone without having it play a big part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom